Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #1006
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,847
We got up pretty early as you do when you camp and packed up ready to go. Said our goodbyes to Willem and Mariet and off on the road we went.
The riding was great long roads through the canyons with hill climbs and descents. We were getting pretty stuck into it and was coming up over a rise and there was some oil on the road. I saw it and went onto the other side of the road to miss it but Ben who was a few hundred metres behind us went straight through it and I was watching in my rear view mirror to make sure he was ok and saw him sliding all over the place back and forwards trying to keep it up before high siding it and going down. He slid for about 30 metres we were going pretty fast.
I came to a stop making sure as I crossed back through the oil still on the road that me and Ewa didn’t come down. We ran back up the road another car with a few English guys had already stopped and were helping him pick the bike up.
The handlebar had been bent right down on the clutch side fortunately the clutch handle was still in one piece. Ben was ok a little shaken but he was saying later it was his first crash and hadn’t actually slid down the road before. I said to him well its good that you got it out of the way and are ok. It was funny only the other night I was telling Ben about the oil on the African roads with the truck’s so poorly maintained over here.
As we were standing there I was saying lets get this bike down the road a little with all this oil there will be a car come around and take us all out so we pushed the bike down and across the road a little and sure enough as we got there another motorbike came around the corner and down he went as well.
We straightened Bens handle bar up a little so we could ride, we were tossing up on going back to the last town but with that being 60 k’s away we decided to push on and see what the next town that was further on had. We went down the hill and stopped again near the truck that had dropped all the oil and had a chat to him there was not much he could of done other than driving 3 kilometers dropping oil all over the place as he went.
We ended up in the next town and stopped to chat to the local cops who were on the road and they didn’t seem to fussed on what was going on up the hill so we carried on and found a service station grabbed a metal bar and wrenched the bar as straight as we could.
We thought we may as well keep on heading to Mozounga on the edge of the Sahara Desert and find somewhere to camp or stay for the night. As we came into town we bumped into the Portugese guys again and stopped for lunch with them.
We hung out for awhile they give us a tip on a good hotel and we headed off into the desert to find somewhere to stay and just rode until we got to the dunes and went in and sussed out the first place we came to.
It had a pool camping and dinner, breakfast and a room was only 50 bucks so me and Ev grabbed a room and Ben being on his budget camped out the back.
While we were waiting for dinner we went for a walk up into the dunes in the Sahara it was really nice up there, we didn’t go to far about 20 minutes in but to one of the higher dunes and just sat there taking it all in. We headed back to the lodge and were sitting out the back as they served dinner and a scorpion came along and was right next to my foot . Ben motion to me and I looked down and whoa I only had flip flops on and this thing was right next to my foot. Apparently these ones arent the ones that kill you it’s the black ones that you have to be careful of but it was a bit of a wake up call. Ev wouldn’t come near it and was hanging back maybe it had something to do with the stories of the foot long scorpions that take your legs off that had her a little scared.

A very eventful day in the end but a great day and everyone is ok and we are in a nice resort right on the Sahara Desert.

The scenary around here is amazing

Ben back on the road after the crash very lucky indeed.

The hotel on the edge of the Sahara Desert

Ahhhh let me in there

Its a dirty job but someone has to do it

Bloody little scorpions, lucky the little begger didnt sting me he would of been sick as a dog

Lovin up in the Sahara Desert, I must admit ive been pretty lucky to find such and easygoing beautiful girl to share this adventure with.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 05:27 PM
rideforsmiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #1007
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We got up to leave the next morning we weren’t in any hurry and you could easily spend a few days here but with the riding so good and Ben having to make inroads with his lesser time both me and Ewa were only to happy to get back on the bike and ride into the unknown to see what other beauty was on offer. Ill let the pictures do the talking of our next few hours riding and you will see how nice it was.

Having a bit of fun with the video camera crawling to an oasis in the distance

Honey if you got to go you got to go no ones going to see you out here TRUST ME

Local boy having a walk with the Atlas mountains in the background

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 05:25 PM
Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #1008
DariusTheGreat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Hi rideforsmiles,

You have mentioned that you are going to Scandinavia. Maybe in my RR from the Norwegian fjords you can find some inspiration - Eva can translate :-)

http://my.opera.com/bochomdb/blog/20...-norwegia-2011

I really like your trip, especially since the Eve joined and I look forward to each new episode!

Greetings from Poland,
D
DariusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #1009
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Now you've got Ewa you dont want to get thrown in jail for overstaying your visa
I look forward to your take on the Yanks when you get there- I'm getting closer to heading there myself
Cheers
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #1010
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Cheers Darius had a quick look at the blog, Ewa will read through it and pick up some tips on where to go and what to see, at this stage we are going to ride the E39 in Norway then up as far as we can in the time I have left. Id like to get to Nordkap but the Artic circle is a definate goal. Thanks for the link.

Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusTheGreat View Post
Hi rideforsmiles,

You have mentioned that you are going to Scandinavia. Maybe in my RR from the Norwegian fjords you can find some inspiration - Eva can translate :-)

http://my.opera.com/bochomdb/blog/20...-norwegia-2011

I really like your trip, especially since the Eve joined and I look forward to each new episode!

Greetings from Poland,
D
Old 04-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #1011
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

I just say to Ev if I ever get put in jail its free accomadation and board might just get us back on budget with Scandinavia coming up. Where you heading to in the states Rob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBD View Post
Now you've got Ewa you dont want to get thrown in jail for overstaying your visa
I look forward to your take on the Yanks when you get there- I'm getting closer to heading there myself
Cheers
Old 04-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #1012
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Up and through this spectacular gorge tonhga Gorge or somethign we are heading for the dades gorge on the other side of the mountain range maybe ill google it and find out exactly where i was. The riding was fantastic again ill let the pucitures do the talking.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #1013
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 05:12 PM
Old 04-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #1014
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

70 k's to the top of the Todgha gorge or whatever it is and the riding and scenary is incredible

Old 04-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #1015
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We came across this girl on a Honda Nx 250 in the middle of nowhere in the northern regions of the Dades Gorge out of fuel all upset. It was getting late in the afternoon so Ev and I decided to stay with her till her friend came back with fuel who had already been a few hours. I convinced Ben the Welsh guy we had been travelling with to push on. Sort of low on juice, getting late, riding into the 70 kilometres of unknown... off road solo was great training for his year long adventure through Asia to Australia.

Ev started to talk to her and realised she was Polish so that made them both happy. Not long after her friend turned up with the fuel then another group of Poles. We followed them back to a hotel not far away so here I was the odd man out with about 15 really nice Polish people and Ev was happy as surrounded by her fellow countryman.

We found out later Ben got there safely that evening and Ewa and I had a great night with the crew drinking Polish vodka and had an amazing ride the next day where we saw no one else for most of the ride through the Dades Gorge so again the right decision was made.

The Polish crew were up and at em early

She was pretty distressed no wonder, all alone out here for a few hours later in the afternoon it would be daunting for anyone let alone an inexperienced rider, took this photo the next day where we found her, it was pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 04:34 PM
Old 04-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #1016
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Now just some pictures of our ride through the Dades gorge.

It just went on and on was great fun

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 05:05 PM
Old 04-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #1017
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Old 04-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #1018
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The actual Dades Gorge finally

Old 04-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #1019
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The Dades gorge was just the first half of the days amazing ride heres a few photos of the second half.

What are you looking at Ev

Ahhhh I see, nice hey.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #1020
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon