Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,822
Heading into Ouzzatte I thought id follow this guy for awhile just in case

rideforsmiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #1024
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We arrived in Ouzzatte and sussed out the Bikershome hotel we had been told about. We were having some trouble finding itso went into another hotel and they rang Peter up for us and he came down to get us. I asked how much and he said 300 dirham about 30 bucks a night with breakfast and dinner so all good. We unpoacked the bike and walked down to get some mopney ou of the bank and when we got back were told it was 300 each. We were a little shocked by tyhat its the most we have paid in Morocco so to be charged that in thbe backwoods of some non descript town was a little xy. Look if he had told us it was 300 each in the first place we woudl of most definatly moved on but oh well whats done is doen but we both werent happy about it, same old story in Africa you have to ask how much and be specific when getting the price, do you ever learn.

So whats done is done we relaxed up stairs no wifi so that didnt help either so i did what any blue blooded aussie guy woudl do I rolled over got a massage and fell asleep for awhile.

Peter and his wife took us into town for dinner with their daughter and nephew. They are a nice couple so dinner was nice with good conversation. i know Ev being the tight ass she is when it comes to the cash was still a little dispaointed that it was so much to stay there though.

We got up in the morning and had breakfast and packed the bike up and said our goodbyes to them and hit the road towards Marakesh. The ride was great we got off the highway and intot he hills and it made for some amazing riding.

We then got back onto the main road to ride through the Atlas mountains range and wow what a ride absolutely stunning scenary ive got sme photops somewhere ill dig them out and upload a few.

Justy one of the many villages we came across on todays ride

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 05:14 PM
Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #1025
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

On the Atlas mountain range i flew past a group of italians riding 1200's and took off into the distance so when we got into Marakesh with nowhere booked I rode straight into the Medina which was chocker block with traffic and so narrow you could hardly get a bike down. After riding around for awhile i decided enoughs enough and headed back out only to see the Italian guys riding past so jumped on their tails.

Any group that has gone to the trouble of making stickers that say Morocco 2013 is going to have accomdation booked and so it was to be. We followed them out of town a little bit to the Ibis ok thats sweet all to easy.

Unpacked and straight down to the pool area to impress some of the chicks and other bikers with my rugged good looks tough demeanor and my pink winnie the pooh towel.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #1026
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

off into the main market square for a look the standard buskers you knwo cobras monkeys and everythign else you can imagine

Old 05-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #1027
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got on the internet and saw a message from Ben so he came over for dinner on our first night in Marakesh which was nice. We sat in the restaurant and had a nice dinner and a good chat, he has decided to head back the way we came to do some more off the hills out to the east. At this stage we are still heading to the coast and then up but we will see.

Had a pretty early night we arent sure what we are going to do just yet but hanging around here to relax seems like a good option at the moment. Got pretty sunburnt lieing around the pool so we will pay for that over the next few days.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 04:23 PM
Old 05-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #1028
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ive had a few days off blogging just been chilling out relaxing which has been great I really want to leave Morocco ready for a big ride so to be off the bike for awhile is nice, we have been going sort of hard, well not really but you know what I mean 8 thousand k's in 6 countries over the last 7 weeks or however Ev has been with me, with all the tourist stuff thrown in its nice to sit still and not think about where or what we are going to do.

We have met some great people while we have been here Libby from the Uk lost a leg in an accident and is riding his bike around solo pretty amazing in its own right, Richard a journalist from CBS who has some amazing stories of being kidnapped in Iraq while covering a story in Basra amoung others He was going to be the photographer for the long way down before Claudio got the gig so dinner out in the Marakesh Medina listening to some of his amazing stories was really interesting and along with Libbys great sense of humour and friendly demeanor made for the last few days to be really great. They were both on solo rides but decided to hook up for ahile as Richard had hurt his wrist in an accident in Spain on the way down and Libby is the type that loves company so im sure they will have a fun ride.

Its funny as they left and as I always do when people leave i always wish I was goign on their adventure it always sounds so much fun and this time was no different I really wanted to go with them where they were going was goign to be unreal, in saying that me and Ewa have sussed out a few hilly roads through the Atlas mountains over to Agadir which they say is really nice.

Heres a few photos of Marakesh.

Libby looking the goods in his new shades

Libby left Ewa and Richard

Old 05-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #1029
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Dinner in the main square of Marakesh turned into an experience but a pretty pleasant one all the same the hassling was always done in good humopur and in a friendly way. We found one that had all locals sittign there and decided to try it, its always going to be ok if the locals are all eating there.

This was the building still covered in plastic where terrorists blew up one of the cafes killing 15 tourists a few years back, well I say terrorists I dont actually know who it was or why they did to be honest but not nice all the same.

The local Marakesh football club were stayigng at the Ibis before their match so had a chat to some of the boys that could speak english and they gave us the tip on the stadium not far away so dragged Ewa off to the local football match Marakesh vs Cassablanca.

She felt a little out of place being one of about 50 women in the stadium and pretty much the only one outside the VIP area. Marakesh won 1-0, I really enjoyed being at the football again the Crazy boys never stopped singing which was a highlight I must say the game wasnt of the highest order at one point the goalkeeper put the ball down to take a goalkick and in his haste to kick it over to his mate across the goal kicked it out for a corner, tel me the last time you saw that happen in any grade, I pissed myself laughing fortunalty it was the away Cassablanca keeper so it was ok to laugh.

Richard and Libby off on the next leg of there new adventure together

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 04:21 PM
Old 05-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #1030
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We left Marakesh the next morning and headed towards Agadir and the Atlas mountains what a great ride yet again Morocco is certainly right up there on amazing motorcycle destinations and so far the people have all been really really freindly.Thinking fo goin gfor a ride from Europe or anywhere for that matter put Morocco on your must do list its got so much diversity.

Hers just a few pictures of the days riding to Agadir.

You can imagine Ewa's reaction when I said lets go ride this road

Old 05-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #1031
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The pictures say it all about the riding around here

The road snaking its way up another pass in the Atlas Mountains

Old 05-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #1032
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

we came across these Spanish guys the older guy had been drinking some alcoholic drink and offered us some which I declined. We chatted a little while in broken english and when he went to leave and get on his bike he came back and was looking for his helmet, Ewa kindly reminded him it was already on his head ahahahah great stuff. serioulsy not really recomended on these roads with cars and trucks coming around the corners sometimes not worrying about a motorcyclists welfare.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #1033
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The colours are amazing up here in the Atlas Mountains

Old 05-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #1034
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Nice little spot to stop for a drink the views are amazing

And then it was off down the other side towards the plains and Agadir, but there was still some nice riding to be done yet.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #1035
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Arrived in Agadir and found the Ibis as we rode into town and as I was starting to get tired so we just booked in and off to our room walked next door to get some grub in the service station restaurant and that was us down for the night. What an amazing days riding.

The next morning we got up and headed the short ride into town, the Ibis hotels are always well situated and you always come across them on your way into towns which makes it handy and really for what you get they arent to badly priced you sort of know what you are getting, its like having your own bedroom but you are just in another city or country all the time.

Agadir is a really nice city though it was really windy today and the markets in are huge they have absolutely everything in them and all pretty well priced too. I was saying to Ewa im actually gettign sick of walking aroudn markets and not buying anything its interesting to see all the different stuff but come on you want to spend sometimes dont you. well I guess I got to spend a but today got my hair cut and bought some glue, the last of the big spenders.

Here Ev is sussing out the smells and the coulours in Jamals the local shopkeepers stall.

Oh no shes spotted a shoe shop

No need to pout sweetchops you know you cant buy shoes, the bloke over Ewa's shoulder is giving her the standard look they all give her as she walks by, she doesent really like the attention I just tell her they only look cause your beautiful and they see you as an infidel whore ahahah that made her feel better.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 05:19 PM