Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #1051
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,914
Found a great campsite in a little town off the main road its just beautiful here and I was saying before how much its like Australia in this part of Morocco well with all the Eucalyptus trees around here and the waterway opening up into the ocean this is so much like home its not funny, simply beautiful and there hasnt been to many places that I can say have felt like hime but this is certainly one of them, its rerally nice when you have that feeling maybe im meant to come back here at some point. The waves aroudn here apparently go unridden but there is a right and left right inb front of the town that looks bloody amazing how no one is surfing this place is beyond me.

The view from our campsite at Moulay Boussellham

My two babies hanging out together

A walk down the beach front in the afternoon was nice.

Heres the surf spot in fron of Moulay Bousselham, id love to see this joint at 6 foot.

Another one of the little reef breaks up the beach from town

Looking south over towards the coast

Im absolutely loving being back on the coast after being in Europe for so long.

looking down to the campsite and the blue lagoon its big for bird watchers apparently. We went for a bird watching boat ride but it was just nice to be on the water i didnt really give a rats ass about some little bird.

We took some time here to start our American visa's and I did mine in 5 minutes as we have the visa waiver thing happening with them but Ev has to go through the whole application thing and looks like she may have to fly home to Poland for an interview which will suck but just one of the hurdles you have to jump when you want to visit some places.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 02:06 PM
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #1052
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

My baby my home and my chair what more could you want.

If you come here you better like seafood its pretty much the staple diet, here are a few of the local boys coming in from their mornings work.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #1053
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The right hander in front of town.

And 200 metres across the channel the left, they go basically unridden all year round hard to believe when you see the potential these waves have.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 03:16 PM
Old 05-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #1054
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

My baby looking a little lonely here in Moulay Bousselham Morocco

Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #1055
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Well had two days in Findeq in Morocco getting Ev's visa application finalised, she has an interview in Warsaw on the 29th of May so we are going to fly her home from Bergan in Norway for a few days to do all that at a princely sum of 31 dollars return so that is a bonus.

So now thats all organised its full speed ahead to Scandinavia as we have two weeks to get to Bergan which is good to have some sort of a deadline to get up there.

We left Morocco this morning and headed down to the ferry in Cuerta all sweet the border contro, was a peice of cake and was through the a Moroccan side in about 10 minutes. Headed over into Cuerta and straight to the ferry terminal, the difference between the Spanish side and the African side is stark to say the least, Findeq is an old Moroccan town shit everywhere run down buildings and street stalls everywhere and Cuerta on the Spanish side is clean well kept. It really is a great place to see how the different worlds collide one understands the meaning of the word maintenance and the other has never heard of the word.

We bought a few tickets for the fast ferry and on went. The border police on the Spanish side were a little bit more full on as you would expect with people more inclined to be trying to go that way than the other. Sniffer dogs police checks another police check cops on the ferry still checking passports of some of the passengers its pretty locked down.

While we were on the ferry met a nice aussie couple who had been doing he cruise ship thing around sounded pretty nice they had been over to Marakesh for a few days and were heading back into Spain then back onto a cruise boat to do Croatia.

As we were about to get off the ferry I noticed this gorgeous blonde girl snd said to Ev she has to be from Scandinavia or up that way somewhere she cant be from around here, Ev was saying nag so as we walked past I asked her where she was from and she said Estonia ohhh la la here I come Estonia I said to Ev ahahahah She was beautiful theres no doubt about it and ive been told theres supermodels working in service stations up there and here was one working in a cafe in Spain so who knows they might be right time will tell. I jusg said to Ev your massages better be good when we go through there thats all I can say hahaha

We got off the ferry and rode straight over to the insurance office in Algerciras that I had sussed out before Morocco to get my green card third party insurance. Was a little bit expensive here so just ook it for 15 days and even that cost me 80 bucks but its better than not having it and if you get caught in Spain without it you might cop and 3000 euro fine and with the amont of cops that were on the road when we arrived here it is a gamble im not prepared to take for the sake of a few bucks.

We got that oganised and headed up towards Seville which was about 200 k's to the north. Got there around three so decided to push on into Portugal another 140 k's down the road.

Was only riding the expressway, i know boring but its not as if i dont get to ride some great roads in my travels so sometimes just killing distance is good, we will actually be doing a bit of that in the next few weeks.

Stopped off in some town to grab some food in a supermarket with all the added expenses today we need to eat and sleep as cheap as we can. With ferry tickets insurance and fuel it was over a 200 euro day so to spend 5 bucks on food and now camping on the south coast of Portugal for 10 bucks hels a little.

We got set up and went down to tbe sea shore its a nice little fishing village really relaxing. Walked aroudn for an hour or so then went back for dineer cooking up the packet pasta we had bought. I always try and carry a few packets of that suff its bloody lush .

as we were hanging around an Englis guyIan from Leister turned up on his bike to camp so offered to cook him up osme dinner and we all sat arfound jibbering for a few hours.

In the tent now the winds is howling out side the tent sand and dust blowing all over us and im al tucked up snug as a bug in a rug with my little Estonian oooops Polish girl next to me ahahah

Ill add some photos later there still on the camera and I couldnt be stuffed getting it out. Tomorrow we head into Lisbon and Carcias apparently its really nice over there so we will see.

Today made it 50 countries ive been too so a little mile stone in the adventure but im really looking forward to the next 10 that i havent been to which will include Denmark Norway Sweden Finland Estonia Latvia Lithuania America Canada and Alaska all amazing places to visit im sure.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 02:48 PM
Old 05-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #1056
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

15 May 2013
Portugal, Cascais
It's Ewa here. I've been on the road with Sheldon for over 2 months now and have decided it's just about time to tell my side of the story ... so far I've had such a great time with Sheldon. You may have already noticed he's one of those people that has a very positive attitude to life and can joke and make you laugh even in the most unexpected situations.

I didn’t get too much sleep last night as the wind was howling for long hours and I was waiting for our pretty worn out tent poles to give in but in the morning the tent was in a perfect condition. Ian seemed to have a bit worse night and not only because of the wind but because of … hmm … Sheldon’s snoring. I’m a light sleeper myself so I was pleasantly surprised that I haven’t heard that at all.

We had a coffee with Ian and a good chat with another English guy, and then got on a bike and road to Lisbon mainly on the express way. As it was drizzling for a while, I could smell the slightly wet straw in the air which made me think of my childhood in the countryside.

We got to Lisbon in late afternoon and the city seemed very chilled out as for this hour, people seemed to be very relaxed and not in any hurry. I loved the trams, like from a different century; it was great following them up and down narrow windy streets. We rode around for a few hours and we were seriously considering staying overnight and explore the city a bit more but eventually decided to stick to our original plan and headed for the camp site.

Right now we’re in a camping site in Cascais, Portugal and Sheldon is watching a football match trying to relax a bit after a tiring day. The tent is up and hopefully there won’t be any surprised tonight as one of the poles broke earlier (actually it was Sheldon who broke it but I wasn’t supposed to mention that ;-)

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 02:23 AM
Old 05-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #1057
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Sheldon's Blog

Today I rode my motorbike and saw a girl with big boobs

Ewa overlooking Lisbon

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 02:01 AM
Old 05-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #1058
Cloud-9
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforsmiles View Post
Sheldon's Blog

Today I rode my motorbike and saw a girl with big boobs
The above comment is a gem.

I've been reading this ride report all along and think it is brilliant. Your sense of humour keeps me laughing, and getting together with Ewa makes the trip.

Keep on sharing the trip with us.
Cloud-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:52 AM   #1059
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Cheers Cloud-9, it certainly adds to the fun having Ewa with me to share things, we are having a great time together. The only difficult part of being with Ev is trying to keep her grubby little mits off me, I guess when i look in the mirror I realise it must be hard for her though lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud-9 View Post
The above comment is a gem.

I've been reading this ride report all along and think it is brilliant. Your sense of humour keeps me laughing, and getting together with Ewa makes the trip.

Keep on sharing the trip with us.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:45 AM   #1060
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

You could certainly kill some time here in Lisbon its a nice city with lots to see and do, but with us having to be in the west coast of Norway in two weeks their isnt any time for us to hang around and take it all so it was pack up and hit the road this morning fr4om Carcias.

We ended up hitting the road around 11 pretty relaxed mornign chattign to a nice dutch couple who were camped next to us. They have done a fair bit of travelling already by the sound of it and are planning an around the world trip next year and hopefully be in Brazil for the world cup in 2014. Id like to think i could make that it gives me some sort of goal to be somewhere. I did origianlly plan to be in South Africa for the last world cup but with my recovery taking longer than I thought from my accident I missed it so Brazil would certainly fit in.

We were going to ride up the coast but really it would of added another day on and we dont wont to be getting to Bergen in Norway on the day Ev flies out, we still have the ferry from Denmark to Kristiansand in Norway and not sure on the time table of it so want to make sure we have a few days up our sleeve.

The ride was easy just flying along, I know I shouldnt be on the expressway i keep telling myself that but its not as if I havent been doing some nice rides. Really though I have nearly 10 000 k's of riding ahead of me in the next 7 weeks and really its on Norway and Scandinavia im interested in riding now.

We stopped off at Salamanca which was a really nice town. Alot of the buildings were made out of sandstane and the old church cathederal or whatever you want to call it was pretty dam impressive even coming from a hethan as myself.

We rode a little further north until the weather looks like it was about to flog down, we had been lucky most of the day with just dodging showers nearly all the way but this one we werent going to miss we were heading straight into the blackest of clouds.

We got into the campsite and sat in the main reception for a few hours chilling out on the internet before actually goign to put the tent up and hitting the fart sack to watch a movie and crash.

It was bloody cold today and i was frozen to the core and couldnt warm up but in my new sleeping back with all my warm gear on and Ev lieing next to me it wasnt long before i was snug as a bug in rug.

Leaving Lisbon

Some of the fields on the way to Salamanca were picutures waiting to be taken

Another huge cathederal here in Salamanca

And inside was no different

We were thinking about getting an apartment in Salamanca but I was guessing this place was pretty shitty so we moved on up the road to camp.

Ewa checking out the campsite fortunalty it was just before the thunderstorm hit so we were able to go inside and wait till it past to put the tent up.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 03:57 PM
Old 05-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #1061
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

17 May 2013
Spain, San Sebastian

It was cold last night but once we rugged up in our sleeping bags and snuggled up we were very cozy. I chatted to a Dutch lady in the morning and she said it was 4 degrees.

We rode along the expressway again making up the kilometres towards our destination north, riding in cold and at times rain, stopping every hour for a coffee and to warm back up inside the service stations. We arrived in San Sebastian in late afternoon and had a very nice walk around town. There is certainly something special about this place, itís neither too big nor too small with clean streets, a sandy beach and the ocean. Itís definitely one of the places I could live in for a while and explore it a bit more.

We had dinner, guess where Ö McDonaldís Ė itís Sheldonís special gift or a 6th sense: whenever heís in a new place he always knows where the nearest Maccas is.

We are now in a camping site just outside San Sebastian and it is still raining at times, it will be interesting to see if the tent leaks, the inside is a little damp from being on the bike.

oh wait, Sheldon has just come back from the shower swearing about a cold shower he just had to have. We are paying 20 euros a night for the campsite so the least we expected was a hot shower but as in all Spain they seem to be only warm at best.

Tomorrow we head north again through Bordeaux and up towards Paris we are not sure how far we will get we will just ride till Sheldon has had enough and then I will find us a camping site on maps for me app on the phone.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #1062
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The main beach at San Sebastian in northern Spain.

Its pissing down here at the moment and trying to pack in the rain for a nice days ride. You got to do what you got to do. Come out of the rain Ev its a trifle damp ahahahaha oh your packing the bike while im sitting here all cozy good girl ohhhh shhhhhh

Old 05-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #1063
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

San Sebastian Spain

Some of the little parks in San sebastian are really nice

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 03:38 PM
Old 05-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #1064
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

For someone not so religious I seem to be spending alot of time in churches lately, this one was quite nice they certainly dont spare any expense in building these joints.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #1065
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

It was pissing down last night all night. I woke up a couple of times and there was water on the floor of the tent so I mopped it up a little bit but it wasnít too bad so I went back to sleep. I hate camping when you have to go piss in the middle of the night itís such an effort to go to the toilet. Ahh the good old days when you were a kid when you could just piss the bed and no one cared but not these days, youíve got to get up, unzip the tent, get out and walk 100 meters to the toilet.

Eventually we got up around 9, the tent was pretty wet inside but most of the sleeping bags and gear were dry which was a bonus. I donít know where the water comes from in this tent, itís getting a few years old so maybe itís loosing a bit of that waterproofness, maybe itís time for a new one with two rooms so I can get some space from that sex starved polish chick Iíve got hanging around, the things you have to put yourself through. I know you are all concerned for my well being but ill struggle away and fight her off it will be good training for North America and Canada if I come across a bear or bigfoot.

We got all the gear out of the tent and took to the common room to hang it out and dry the wet stuff and jumped on the internet to suss out some of the ferries in Norway. It was absolutely pissing down so we thought we just hang around and see if it stops before packing the bike. It just kept raining and raining so in the end we just thought stuff it letís get out of here and started packing.

While Ev was packing all the gear up, I tightened the chain on the bike. It was actually getting really loose as Iíve been meaning to do it for a while. We eventually got all packed up and ready to go, jumped on the bike and hit the road in the humping down rain.

We went to the expressway still just killing distance and anyway riding back roads in these conditions is not fun. Come to think of it, riding express way wasnít that much fun either as there was a couple of rivers going across the road which made for interesting riding when we ploughed through and one of them the car on the inside lane threw a massive wave of water over at us so here I am getting covered in water riding through torrent of water across the high way. At that point I started laughing to myself as it was actually ridiculously dangerous.

San Sebastian is on the edge of the mountain range so I was hoping the weather would clear up a few kilometers down the road and it did but not as quick as I hoped. It was probably 40 or 50 km.

Bordeaux was 240 odd km so in these conditions we thought weíd just ride to there and get a hotel. We rode into the centre of Bordeaux and had a bit of a ride and came across an Ibis hotel inbut as it was a big rugby match on, second division final, there were no hotels available. We looked on booking.com and found a hotel on the outskirts of town heading north and booked it and went over there. We arrived at the hotel to find another motorcyclist standing at the front trying to get in with no luck. We found out later if we were arriving after 3pm we were to let them know to get the access code so the hotel was a no go. We walked up to a little cake shop up the road and got the lady to ring the number on the booking of the hotel but got no answer.

Ron was from the Netherlands riding a BMW GS1200 and had been down to Granada in Spain and had ridden 700 km today so hereís the three of us wet sort of tired and in Ronís case exhausted standing around like a shag in a rock at 8 oíclock at night wondering what the fook to do. I saw an old faithful sign as I rode into town so I suggested we hit maccas and use the internet and find somewhere else.

We got on booking.com, booked and ibis on the other side of town, I grabbed a mac attack, hoofted down my guts and we jumped on the bikes and rode the 20km back there and we checked in. It sort of sucked that it was so far backwards but it was all express way so it only took us 20 min to get there.

I jumped into a hot shower, I was in there for about 20min loving a good shower. I got out telling Ev, ohh shit honey thereís no hot water left. She was really upset that I used all the hot water, little did she know that I was only joking. I said to her donít worry honey, thereíll be a little warm water left just go for it. She was happy to realize I was only joking and.

We got changed, met up with Ron and headed over to the Mercure Hotel across the road for a couple of beers and a chat. Ronís planning a 6 month journey through Europe and then Africa so some of my contact in Sudan and Egypt will come in handy for him cause itís a little of a pain down that way at the border crossing but Mazza and Kamahl do absolutely everything for you for the sake of about 20 30 bucks and all you have to do is sit around and enjoy yourself.

We sat there for hours chatting, Ev got up and went to bed, poor old soul and then Ron sat and chatted for a little longer. I remember getting back and it was after 1am so it was a late night.

While weíre there at the hotel, the guys from the Pau rugby union were staying there so I had a brief chat with one of the guys who could speak English. Itís pretty big match for those dudes cause whoever wins get a promotion to the first division. With rugby union over here being so big Iím sure that means a fair bit of money.

So thatís today done, the riding wasnít too bad, a little bit dangerous earlier on other than that pretty cruisey, just wet and Iím ready for the fart sack, time to snuggle up with Ev in a nice comfy bed. Here I come baby look out zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz