Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #1066
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,981
We werenít in too much of a hurry today, sleeping in a hotel after a fair few days camping so we got up and saw Ron rode off as heís riding another 900km today to get back to the Netherlands., good luck on that.

We ended up leaving around 11, not exactly knowing where we were heading but north somewhere. It was raining again but not as bad as yesterday but it was a little bit cooler. We made a couple of stops along the way for fuel. At one point we came across 2 motorcyclists on the highway so I stopped to see if they needed a hand. One of the guys was on an old triumph which had stopped. I suggested weíd give it a bit of a push and clutch start it and it nearly kicked. He opened the lid of the petrol to see if he had petrol. At that point I looked at the petrol cock to make sure he had the petrol on, these things are non existent on the new bikes but the old ones if youíre low on juice you still have to spin it around to reserve and thatís exactly what he hadnít done. He must have felt like a right dick missing something as simple as that but Iím sure it happened to most of us at some point over the years. Thatís everyone except me, I wish. Two seconds later the bike kicked alive. I tapped him on the back and laughed with him and everyone was happy. We said our goodbyes and took off up the highway and not long after the rain started tumbling down again.

We stopped at the service station to get fuel and it had internet so we had a look and decided just to head to Poitiers and get a hotel for the night. We really wanted to camp throughout France, be fooked if Iím camping in this crappy weather. Anyway, the hotel is only 42 euro and itís really nice, not too mention camping in the shitty rain the other night in the leaking tent cost us 20. Iím actually have to do something about that and work out where that water comes from cause i never used to leak, other than that just go out and buy a new one for a couple of bucks.

Sat downstairs and watched the last round of the English premier league football. Gareth Bale scored another cracking goal, the guy is absolute freak at the moment. He has to be up there in the top couple of players in the world at the moment. While I was watching, and English couple came in and they were Arsenal supporters and Arsenal had to win to get into the European competition next year so they were sitting on the edge of their seats watching, he told me heíd been an Arsenal supporter since 9 months before he was born. They were from London but lived in Spain, another expat couple, weíve met a few of them in our travels in the last week or so in the south of Spain and Portugal.

After we relaxed for a while we went to dinner across the road in the restaurant. It seemed like the first dinner weíve actually sat down and had for a while. I had a big steak with pepper sauce all over it chips and ice cream and Ev had chicken and vegetables and it actually was really very nice. We had actually discussed earlier in the trip that we would go to dinner once a week and discuss any issues we have with each other and I said to Ev I have a few issues. And she said what Iím not Estonian and blonde? And I said how did you know sweetheart.

Back at the hotel now, chilling out, blogging. I only realized just before the La Mans motor GP was on this weekend. That sort of sucked because a few weeks in a row now Iíve just missed the Jerez motor GP and the La Mans motor GP. I would love to go to both of them, I really should have checked the calendar a little better but its so expensive to go anyway its probably saved me about 1000 bucks if not more for the both of us by missing them. All in all, and easy day, nice dinner and tomorrow we head north to somewhere.
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #1067
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Looks like it was crappy weather at Le Mans so it might've cost you more staying in another hotel. I would love to do Le Mans and Isle TT but probably won't as I am to Scottish but every year I think maybe next year ha ha. Hope the weather fines up for you and water gets in your camera so you can't show me pictures of Norway because I will want to do that.
Cheers really enjoy your reports. Rob
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #1068
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We left Poitiers this morning and hit the road north. I had wanted to go to Normandy when I was in Europe and check out the beach landings where the Allies landed in the Second World War, Omaha, Utah, Sword, Gold and whatever the others were. You know you hear about them all the time when you’re watching documentaries so it would be nice to see it in the flesh. It was a few hundred km out of the way and although we’re racking out the case north I made the decision and it was off to Normandy we went. We arrived at Cean and saw an Ibis along the highway as we rode in, I thought id keep that in the back of my head jut in case we don t co e across somewhere else. We headed to the coast where the landings took place about 20 or 30 km away.

We went straight to the American War Cemetery. I was actually surprised as it quiet busy. It was raining pretty heavily at the time so we just left all our gear on and went for a walk. We went to the museum the security was pretty full on anything American have high security so had to strip off the jacket empty all the pockets etc to put it through scanner etc no big deal just some of the things you have to go through. Checked it all out and then walked out to the cemetery. As we’re walking around, I was listening to one of the guys explaining to the group standing in front of the Omaha beach about a story about a Polish American one of the first off the beach who came across a Polish German, the story went that the Polish American said what are you doing here fighting for the Germans? And in the end the German Polish guy showed the American Polish guy a back way around the trenches to get to one of the bunkers that was pinning them down on the beach which allowed them to break free from the Omaha beach. So it was a nice little touch to have the little Polish Ev with me knowing that the Poles played their part in the landing as well and weren’t just there to steal people’s mobile phones and wallets.

We walked around for a while taking all in and then jumped on a bike and headed down the coast a little bit and found some of the old bunkers the Germans used to protect themselves part of the North Atlantic Wall defense system or whatever it was called. Some of the bunkers were quite big obviously for the bigger guns but there were some small ones that were obviously machine gun posts and man did they have a good view of the beach. It would have been like a shooting gallery and you can just imagine the carnage they would have reaped on the Americans which they certainly did.

We left there, it was raining pretty heavily so we rode back to the Ibis I had seen and booked in for the night. It was a nice day’s riding even if it was cold and wet and to get to Normandy and to Omaha beach and the D-Day landing sites was pretty special so all in all a good day.

This is the soldier Major Thomas Howie that apparently the charachter Tom Hanks plays in Saving Private Ryan is taken from

Thats the girl you know whose boss around here

They must of killed a lot of dudes from thi hole

Ewa finishing unpacking the bike, come out of the rain honey its nice and dry in here.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 03:06 PM
Old 05-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #1069
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

When we arrived yesterday at the ibis the car park was full and when we woke up this morning my baby was sitting there all by herself. I said to Ev everyone must have a life, weíre the only ones without a life sitting in our room till 11 oíclock before we even start to pack. We werenít sure where weíre heading today, just north and rack up a few kís till Iíve had enough. I was thinking of going up through Calais but the Gps took us inland and before heading north and Iím glad it did. Weíre riding along minding our own business and it was time for a fuel stop and I noticed on the Gps a name that was synonymous with Australian soldiers in the First World War on the western front on the Somme.

Fortunately the service satiation had wi fi and I googled it and the Australian war cemetery was only 4 km away. I had a feeling it was really close here but seeing it only 4 km away was fantastic. I heard a lot about this place as the Australians had fought really hard here. At one occasion when the whole front tried to move forward the Australians were the only ones to gain the territory in the battle and it was here that it was done in Villers-Bretonneux

So we got back on the bike and headed down to the war cemetery. It was quite amazing. 779 Australians buried here. The grounds were immaculate. The one thing that took my attention was that a lot of the Australian soldiers that died here were older, a lot of them in their thirties. There was a couple of dates there on the grave stones, 4th July and 8th August where a lot of guys died so Iím guessing those days where two pretty fierce attacks where a lot of Aussie guys died along with a lot of others. We hung around there for a while. It certainly had a lot more emotional tie to me than the Omaha and all the other beaches where the D-Day landing took place. The fighting that took place here on the western front was, as much as all warfare is brutal, was horrific and just as stalemate for a long time with just people just getting smacked everywhere. Itís definitely a place that one wouldnít have wanted to be at.

While I was there I met a nice Aussie couple. Theyíve been to a couple of other commonwealth war cemeteries and one of them had a family member buried there so Iím sure it was a pretty emotional time to be there for them.

We got back on the bike and headed north and rode for a few hours and crossed into Belgium and as soon as we did down came the rain. We rode for a little while longer and stopped at a service station to decide where weíre going to stay. While we were there we bumped into a nice Dutch guy who had been riding down around Spain. Danny was from Amsterdam and told us that it was about 2,5 hours away and I thought thatís a bit too far away for us in the rain so we decided to hit to Antwerp as there was an ibis budget there and as it was only 40 min away.

It was a really nice day in the end. It was just a chance that we stopped at that service station for petrol. If I hadnít stopped there and gone another 30 or 40km I wouldnít have probably gone back to it but Iím certainly glad that I recognized that name on the gps as I stopped.

Heres a link on some great info on te cemetry and the fighting that took place here it was actually the site of the first tank battle in history.

http://www.dva.gov.au/commems_oawg/O...20brochure.pdf

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 10:32 AM
Old 05-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #1070
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Id love to do the isle of man myself Rob but will be in the arctic cirlce somewhere riding around you just cant do everything, it wll give me an excuse to come back one day. My grandfather was Scottish and I was going to Glasgow to see where we were from but turned left 10 k's out of town and didnt get there so ive got a few reasons to come back and ride around Europe again. Thanks again for following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBD View Post
Looks like it was crappy weather at Le Mans so it might've cost you more staying in another hotel. I would love to do Le Mans and Isle TT but probably won't as I am to Scottish but every year I think maybe next year ha ha. Hope the weather fines up for you and water gets in your camera so you can't show me pictures of Norway because I will want to do that.
Cheers really enjoy your reports. Rob
Old 05-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #1071
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We got up relatively late today as we weren’t in any hurry, we planned to go only a couple hundred km to Amsterdam and stay there for the night. We hit the express way and started riding. It was cloudy with some rain every now and then and as it happened with previous border crossings, within 10 min of crossing the boarder with Holland, the weather changed again, it cleared out. One more thing changed too: the traffic, it got really heavy, we passed two huge traffic jams on the way to Amsterdam, each of them at least 15km long. In comparison to the other countries we’ve just been to, the roads in the Netherlands seem to be way busier and the towns more crowded.

As Sheldon really wanted to see the statue of Hanz Brinker We exited the motorway and started riding on some narrow country roads heading for the village of S…. It was a great ride with little canals winding alongside the road, narrow wooden bridges and the characteristic Dutch wind mills. As we rode through the little villages there were a lot of cyclists, another typical part of Dutch culture and as I expected almost all of them were riding the big black bikes which always remind me of the old Polish bikes that my parents and grandparents used to ride.

We got to the village with Hanz Brinker statue who is believed to put his finger into a dyke to stop the water and save the village. It was the first time I heard this story but Sheldon heard it as he was a kid and was very excited to see it. We took a few pictures and headed back for the motorway to Amsterdam.

We rode into Amsterdam city center, parked the bike near one of the little canals and saw a group of tourists passing by and decided to follow them for a while. Sheldon was VERY happy with it from the very beginning as the first street that the group went into was the famous Red Light District, consisting of little narrow alley ways with tiny rooms one next to the other and I in some of them women looking standing in the glassed door waiting for business and in some others the red curtains were drawn.

We walked for a while in the center and along the many canals and bridges. We weren’t sure if we wanted to stay there for the night as are on a bit of a time schedule right now.

We kept walking and seemed to be retracing our steps a lot and this time Sheldon was more than happy to walk the same little streets over and over again and guess what was it that he didn’t mind looking at over and over again ;-) I’m sure he’ll have a bit more to say about that part of our stroll.

We checked a few of the hotels as we strolled around but the prices were a bit too high. Moreover, the bike chain and tires need to be replaced and it may take a couple of days to get it done so it was wiser to get going. The afternoon was still very nice so we decided to walk for a bit more and then make use of the good weather and ride for a couple more hours.

As we were getting ready to hop on a bike, an American guy stopped by and we had a chat. He mentioned that Norway is spectacular and we got and invite to hop in for a cup of tee when we’re around in Minnesota.

We decided to ride till we get tired and ended up riding more than 450km and got to Hamburg around 10pm. We got the last room in ibis budget and it didn’t take me long to fall asleep.

It was a really good day, we ended up riding a lot further than we initially planned.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 03:25 AM
Old 05-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #1072
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

They werent just women Ev they were hot chicks and yes I did enjoy the perve they were serioulsy gorgeous some of them.

As for Holland its not hard to see why so many of them travel outside of their country its like one big city with cars everywhere dont know if its my cup of tea at all, well I can assure you its not.

I actually said to Ewa where do they all live all you see is roads with millions of cars on them green fields with a few cows and water. The traffic jams must be a pain in the ass for the locals but I just went up the inside of any traffic snarls I came across. I dont know how many people live in the Netherlands but atleast 50% of them are on the road at any given time im sure.

By the time we had arrived in Hamburg I was ezhausted im going to look around town to see if there is anywhere I can source my chain and sprockets and maybe some tyres they are getting as well, I bought my chain and sproclets from Polo Motoraad last time in Germany so will suss them out in the morning.

Massive day today and im rooted speaking of which wheres Ev ..............oh keep it clean this a family page.

I can hear Hansy now "WTF are you doing dude im plugging the dyke here"

There were no photos allowed in the red light district unfortunatly but see the little areas on the side before the construction they are all windows in which the chikkibabes hang out in its not as flash as I thought it was going to be but the chicks were pretty dam hot I have to say.

After looking at all the hot chicks I needed a coffee to settle my nerves, this place looks ok whats that smell im getting hungry all of a sudden, lets go in and find out. Oh its that no thanks I dont partake in that stuff ill just have a mushroom omelette and a coke instead thanks mate.

Ok enough of Amsterdam and perving on the hot chicks lets get out of here and find somewhere to sleep the night mmmmm this place looks ok

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 03:40 PM
Old 05-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #1073
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

This place looks a little more appropriate for me.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #1074
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

What the hell is going on here naked women in bed, tents up in rooms.... hey I was just in Amsterdam give me a break.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:17 AM   #1075
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

I saw this truck and although I hope the dude was ok I thought to myself suck dogs balls motherf*&ker.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:11 AM   #1076
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

After having a good nights sleep in Hamburg we researched the Polo Motoraad dealer and found out out theres none here but the next town about a 130 k's north there is one so today we jsut rode up there to suss out my chain and sprockets. We get there and no luck will take a few days to get them in, well that sucks. While we were there we bought Ewa some protective pants to go with her jacket ive been meaning to kit her out a bit better although she has been wearing cheap leather pants if anything ever does happen these will give her a little more protection.

The boys at Polo gave me the name of another place around the corner Louis accessories that might have them. well they have them but in their Hamburg store so it looks like im going back to Hamburg. Its only and hour or two on the expressway so no big deal to know I have them with me.

The Gps took me down the old highway which sucked as the traffic was really bad so took us a little more time to get back to Hamburg than we would of liked but its all riding so all good. We got to their main office and no problems got the chain and sprockets and away we went. It was still only 5pm so thought we might hit the highway north again and kill some distance and ended up on the border of Denmark and Germany 190 k's away. I was thinking to myself as I pulled into the little town I really need tyres and it will be my luck after trying a few places only to be told they have to get them in that ill find them here, and you wouldnt believe it ecaxtly what happened well almost.

The next morning I got up and walked over to the motorbike shop behind the hotel and they told me no go but pointed me over the other side of the complex that might be able to help, so walked over to Directx tyres and the boys in there were really helpful. They didnt have them but rang around a few places and 10 k's back down the road I can get them, man that was so sweet. So now I have tyres, chain and sprockets to go on which gives me peace of mind and I can ride on these till they are absolutley dead.

When we got back to place with the tyres we unpacked the paniiers they were really wet inside after all the rain we have had so it was time to dry them out propperly and repack them, ok good job Ev that wasnt so hard was it ahahah

We hit the road around 11 and headed off into Denmark nort knowing exactly where we were going but not the main highway we took the 170 180 and were going to take the 190 the old road north I guess as it seems to hug the expressway at times pretty closely.

We dropped into a few towns as we had an early start I was knackered and struggling to enjoy the ride so we pulled over and had a 15 minute bat nap which was just what the doctor ordered I felt 100% better and ready to ride again.

I had a friend off facebook who I have known for years who was from Middlefart half way up and had seen pictures of her town beofre and thought it was a good excuse to drop in and have a look around.

It was a nice enough town all of Denmark is pretty, lots of the green rolling fields Ive been looking at since Spain, really what is that yellow shit they grow it looks nice with all the green fields and yellow flowers but 4 countries of it and ive seen enough of it time for a change of scenary says me so it was back on the highway and banging out the k's to Hirstals in the north for the ferry to Norway.

The ferry was leaving at 6 so I had to cover 240 odd k's in 2 hours well thats doable but only just cause at the speeds im going to have to do im going to need two petrol stops the last one can be a splash and dash but its still going to mean pulling off the highway for a few minutes and we wont have many of them spare iof we are going to make it.

We arrived at Hirtsals at 5:45 and bolted straight up to the terminal bought our tickets, the girl at the counter rang the captain to hold the boat for a minute and we bolted back down to the ferry last ones aboard walked upstairs and the ferry was on its way to Norway.

One thing about Denmark they have to be the shittiest drivers Ive come across, there was one rear ender after the other and I can see why I passed more cars on the inside then I did in the overtaking lane in that last two hours they seem to think it is their god given right to cruise along merrily at 100kmh in the fast lane well sorry honey im going through the middle of you or on the inside. Must be a lingering effect of the mushroom omelette in Amsterdam.

We got off the ferry at 8:30 and rode down to be stopped by customs. He was a nice enough chap asked me if I had anything to declare, yes I do my good sir I do declare im a devilishy handsome man.

He asked where we were going and I said I dont know where should I go and he was nice enough to write out a list of places that we should ride to on our way to Bergan. He asked me where ive been I said we have just been down to Morocco for a month and he said ohhhhh have you got anything in there we should know about to which I just laughed and said I got rid of all that in Amsterdam so nothing else to declare. We said our goodbyes another nice freindly welcome to another country number 52 and off we rode into the unknown.

We rode for an hour and found a nice little campsite pretty basic but had a nice lake but at 26 bucks we decided to push on and see what else we could find, it was only 9:30 and still bright as here in Norway. We ended up down the backway of course tired needing to stop and I find myself on a wet clay dirt road and slippery as hell. I was thinking what the hell am I doing we had a nice spot, oh well the decision was made so here I am riding around in the backwoods of Norway looking for soemwhere to camp at 10pm at night.

We eventually found somewhere and set the tent up and relaxed by the waters edge. 11 pm and the sun is just setting so you can certainly get a fulldays riding in here and I can imagine its only going to get longer as we go north.

So in Norway Ill upload a few pictures got some nice ones already but time to get on the bike and ride to somewhere.

Time for a break in Denmark

Nighty night, I can bash out a nap anywhere anytime.

These yellow flowers in the green fields are everywhere

We only just made the ferry lucky for us all the signs pointed us in the right direction and the fact that I had remembered the shipping company we were going on was remarkable.

Leaving Hirtsals for Norway

The very first lake we came across in Norway

Finally night time arrives at about 11pm

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 04:35 PM
Old 05-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #1077
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Not just yet pops

We rode about 250 k's today ill just upload a few pics of the days ride, met quite a dew fellow bikers along the way and just had a really enjoyable day.

My baby taking a well deserved break for lunch in the middle of nowhere

Watch out Bullwinkle im coming through, my first mooses sign

The it was back on the road to nowhere

Actually it was the highway to Hell

Another pretty Norwegian lake along the road we were on.

Starting to get a little colder

Anyone for a dip come on its summer time here in Norway.

Now just got to find somewhere to pitch the tent

Found a nice hotel with a hotub by the frozen lake, it was only 70 bucks for some reason Ev was keen to camp, I have no idea why.

Just came down the hill a little to where there was some green grass to put up the tent, its alot warmer down here well somewhat warmer its still coolish but how hard is life when you have to camp in such spots, amazing, me and Ev were sitting there having some sandwhiches for dinner taking the view and the whole day in.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 04:41 PM
Old 05-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #1078
Cariboostrom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
I'm really enjoying your ride report Sheldon and Ewa.
Your last few pictures look just like it does here in British Columbia, Canada. Those yellow flowers are the canola crop. We have them here too. Very pretty, and they make oil from them. The nights are short here right now too. Good long days for riding! Enjoy it all.
Danielle
Cariboostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #1079
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Hi Danielle,

the canola crop certainly made for a great ride in Denmark and the other countries. Unfortunatelly, we didn't have too much time there as we needed to get to Bergen, Norway for 28th.

We really like the long days, especially that the weather has been great so far so we coulld fully enjoy them.
Thanx for following the blog.

Ewa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboostrom View Post
I'm really enjoying your ride report Sheldon and Ewa.
Your last few pictures look just like it does here in British Columbia, Canada. Those yellow flowers are the canola crop. We have them here too. Very pretty, and they make oil from them. The nights are short here right now too. Good long days for riding! Enjoy it all.
Danielle
Old 05-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #1080
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We got packed up and went and said goodbye to Dagny the owner of the campsite then went up to the service station and grabbed a bit to eat befo0re hitting the road, we would of liked to buy the food in the supermarket but being Sunday there was nothng open so it was dig deep into the wallet again. The food here is pretty expensive but if you eat out of a service station at home in Australia its about the same or maybe a little more here, but not much about 8 or 9 euro for a nice salad roll and a coke mmmm im hungry now actually.

The ride up into the hills was spectacular past the ski fields and then through a long tunnel and out the other side and down to the valley again and to the fjords. Came across one beautiful waterfall after another it reminded me of Thailand in Krabi at the very beginning of this adventure where I rode about 50 k's and walked a couple of k's to see this apparently spectacular waterfall only to be comfronted by a stream trickling over the edge which was being fed by a pipe running from the bottom to the top ahahahah no joke talk about get a bit more wate rmate. Heres just one of the watefalls along the way we will upload a few more picks tomorrow they are on the phone and have to be tranferred .

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 09:32 AM