Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #1186
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 2,149
The Native American Museum Smithsonian Institution was ok but to be honest was a bit all over the place inside.

rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #1187
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Philadelphia.

One of the great men of history immortalized in bronze here in Philadelphia. Yo Ewa

Old 07-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #1188
TrevorHeath
Seattle to ??

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforsmiles View Post

At this stage our route takes us to Niagara Falls Yellowstone up into BC from there we will have to decide go all the way to Anchorage get the boat back down and island hope to Vancouver or to Seattle or even just miss Alaska and just see some of British Columbia and head south. Either way we are going to miss a lot of Canada.
Everyone is going to have an opinion so here's mine

We worked the summer season of 2010 in Skagway Alaska. Some of the most beautiful scenery in the world is 25 miles north of Skagway...simply stunning.

See http://www.trevorheath.com/AK.html.

We took a road trip 600 miles NW to Dawson City (home of the 1890's gold rush) Dawson City was interesting enough but oh my that 600 miles was so boring and its another 2000 mile to Prudoe Bay!

If you rode up north from Banff (Calgary) to Jasper then on up to Whitehorse turned south from there to Skagway or Haines and catch the Ferry to Bellingham, Washington you'll have seen a lot.

You can expect snow around Whitehorse after September 15th (we missed a 6" blizzard by 4 hours on our way home)

From around September 15th south on the pacific coast highway from Bellingham to LA would be about perfect.

Do not really understand why if you have money (which you must have) that you only got 3 months on your visa, most get 6 months

Where to fly to? Would Vancouver (30 miles north of Bellingham) to Cuba take care of the visa issue? Should be quite cheap on a package deal.

Regards,

TH
Old 07-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #1189
TrevorHeath
Seattle to ??

Oddometer: 78
I should add though that October 1st is a great departure time from the US for a three month trip to Panama. We did the whole trip with just one afternoon of rain with sunny days and 25C temps most the time otherwise. And, if Cuba is of interest you can get there from Mexico City or Cancun very cheap....on a Russian plane old enough to be in the Smithsonian

TH
Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #1190
Cariboostrom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
My thoughts exactly TrevorHeath, why on earth did they only give you a 3 month visa Sheldon? You could spend many months just in Canada, let alone seeing the USA. These are HUGE countries.
I am riding north to Whitehorse myself, leaving August 11th, and doing the Skagway bit also, and taking the ferry down to Prince Rupert and riding home. I agree with TrevorHeath, that you definitely don't want to miss this BC bit, and the Skagway bit. Do ride up the Icefields Parkway in Alberta to Jasper - fantastic road in good weather, through the Rockies. Riding down the Oregon/California coast is awesome too, but often rainy.
Cariboostrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #1191
Cariboostrom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Glacier National Park

Sheldon, if you're coming north from Yellowstone, then don't miss the Glacier National Park, (on the Canadian border) and ride the Going to the Sun Road. It is spectacular, and then ride up to Banff and the Icefields Parkway.
Cariboostrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #1192
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboostrom View Post
Sheldon, if you're coming north from Yellowstone, then don't miss the Glacier National Park, (on the Canadian border) and ride the Going to the Sun Road. It is spectacular, and then ride up to Banff and the Icefields Parkway.

Thanks for the advice guys Skagway is where we were told to get the ferry from and it sounds amazing. I've also been told about the Sun road and Logan pass or whatever I have it written down so sounds like I will be getting to there at some point.

In regards to the visa who knows why they gave me 3 months maybe the old bag at the desk didn't like the look of me though I think cause I came in on the visa waiver program that's all they give you so wasn't really expecting any more just hoping. We will work around it and go somewhere its not really a big deal we will just decide where to when the time comes.

I've had crappy internet for awhile now, you would think the good ol US of A would be the ants pants with it but its pretty woeful maybe they should stop hacking into the ethernet cables in the sea and helping us connect then maybe they will get the intel they go to so much trouble to get.

Ill try and get my blog up to date today and tomorrow I'm only a few days behind but have been brought a new computer so that will help make things easier, blogging and uploading photos is a real pain on the phone.

Thanks again guys, Eva sends her love ahahahah hey now get back to massaging girl and stop flirting lol
Old 07-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #1193
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Today we got up packed and said out goodbyes to Dave one of the managers at the Carlyle Hotel in Washinton, it was really nice there, we would of stayed another few days if they didnt have a convention over the weekend but as we had to move it was time to move cities, I pretty much saw what I wanted to see here although im sure i've missed something of importance. I was feeling pretty tired for some reason though we had walked heaps yesterday so that might of had something to do with it.

The weather was a little wet but not to bad, really humid so made for sweaty riding as you had to have all your rain gear on as the heavans looked like they would open up at any second and with the roads a little wet in patches I had to be a little bit more careful, and as I still dont have any back breaks to speak of so always makes it a little more suss in the wet.

Only rode for a little while I really couldnt be stuffed, Ev had looked at a Walmart before we left so thats where we were heading up the highway an hour or two towards Fredrickstown. It was a pretty little town small big in between a real middle American town by the looks of it, not that i really know what a middle American town looks like im just going off the Simpsons, family Guy and South Park and other educational tv programs ive seen.

We found the Walmart pretty easily so pulled in to take a look at the computers and tents and see what range they have. Ok there was nothing we liked in there so we went up the road to Best Buy the shop we had looked in the other day in Washington. Had a quick look Ewa was saying maybe we shoudl go down the road and look at theis other shop yeah yeah bla bla thats it two shops im not walkign into a another computer shop, so got a new computer its an Acer touch screen, dont tell me they are crapola but we only need it for facebook, blogging a bit of internet searching and Skype on occassions, how long this one will last is anyone's guess but it hass got to be better than the one we are using at the moment I had the screen replaced in Nairobi with some cheap chinese job and you have to hit it constantly to get it to work which was always a pain and always got me some strange looks when using it in public sitting there bashing the screen tillit stopped flickering.

I thought now we have a new pc and its mid afternoon and still wet we might as well call it a day here in Fredrickstown. We checked into a Days Hotel the mid range hotel chain here in the states its not to bad and all good got the bike parked tight out the front of the room o all good. Ive been using the disck lock Frank had given mee in Germahy ill have to remember to get his email from Stefan at some point to thbak him again it really is coming in handy. Im still a little suss on the bike here more so than in Africa if that makes sense at least down there if they stole it EVERYONE would know who has it where as aroudn here it will be just another bike, though in saying that there isnt to many Bmw's in this neck of the woods either pretty much all Harleys roadstars of some sort and the odd Beemer.

We asked the guy at the desk if there camping or sports shop around where we might be able to buy a tent as the one we have is all but done, im sure if it rained hard the duct taped holes in the roof and the broken zippers pretty much would mean us getting wet.

We walked down the road to the shop it was a k or two away we went into Sears first and had a look along the way, ok one or two but nothing that we liked so got directions onto the Sports shop and away we went.

There is a hell of a lot of fast food shops here everything you can imagine from Burger King KFC Taco Bell and you name it it was here probably walkd past about at least 15 fast food joints in a 20 minute walk.

We got to the sports shop the staff were all really friendly and showed us the tent section while having a chat about where we have been and are going, people are always amazed that we are so far from home, I guess you have to expect that reaction when you are in these places, its totally off the tourist trail and we are a bit of a novelty to them im sure.

We found a tent we sort of baulked for a second on its size as it was written in inches and not centremetres, I was guessing about chest high which will be ok, we will suss that out next time we camp.Walked back to the hotel dropped into the bike shops along the way and got some chain lube from the guys in the triumph shop I had thought about lubing the chain this morning but put it off only to realize I didn't have anyway as I had to turf it out when we came to America, I usually try and lube the chain at least every couple of hundred k's so it was a bit overdue. The guys at Triumph were really nice had a good chat to them for a few minutes before heading off and heading home back to the hotel via Maccas and was only going to get a drink but couldnt help myself and forced a big mac meal in to tide me over till breakfast time.

There was a few cars coming and going then a Sherriff's car pulled into the hotel who knows what the hell is going on down the back but im not going down there to find out. The bikes locked up covered and im relaxing and dont really care what happens out there now im going to hit the fart sack and play on my new computer.

Sheldon

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 01:21 AM
Old 07-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #1194
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

On our way to Niagara Falls we decided to drop into Gettysburg to see the battlefield. We had just arrived and got into our cooler clothes for the walk and a couple on bikes pulled up next to us. Ruel was from the Netherlands but had ridden from Europ to Australia and worked in Australia for a few years where he met Azure from Vermont here in America. Sheldon tells me the bikes they were on were African Twins he says he likes them but he said it might be a bit heavy for her to learn on.

They already travelled together through Australia and just a couple of weeks ago she did her driving licence for a bike and has ridden her own bike since. We walked to the museum together and there we were told that we could actually ride bikes around the battlefield so that was what we did went back to the bikes and rode. Sheldon said he would of liked to go into the museum but will give him a reason to come back and it was really nice to see Sheldon talking to a fellow motorcycle adventurer and one that had spent time in Australia.

We stopped at one viewing point where we had a great view of one of the many battle sites in the area it is quite big and coveres a real distance. It was pretty amazing to be standing at the same spot as all the important generals used to stand and imagine how it must have looked like when the fight was full on. They didn't have tv back then so I guess that was one of the things that kept chosen ones entertained. There were monuments everywhere all over the different battlefields.

There was a bike rally on in town that weekend so town was chocker block and there were definitely more bikes than cars on the road. We did consider staying for the night but at the end we decided to stick to our plan and head further north. Ruel and Azure were also heading north so we rode with them for the rest of the day. At one point Azure seemed to have some problems with her bike so we stopped at a service station and Ruel was checking it up. It wasn't a major problem, just a part that needed to be changed which they had a spare.

In the meantime an ex-policeman stopped by and offered help and was telling us about his ride he had just had, Sheldon loves hearing everyones stories and they were having a good chat about how he had broken his back 3 times in the line of duty once from being hit with a baseball bat and was retired now on disabilities and planning a move to San Antonio down in Texas. I finally I got to know the difference between a sheriff and a policeman. He also advised us to stop by Little Niagara Falls (known as Bushkill Falls) which was a few hours further north.

We got Bushkilll Falls late in the evening so the entrance was already closed and we decided to find a place to sleep. We found a campsite but the security told us that it was private and that all the other campsites are private too so they doubt we would be able to put our tent in any of them.

Then we checked a few hotels along the road and they were all full. So we decided to put our tents up by the road. It was already dark so we decided to stop and have dinner. Ruel and Azure cooked their steaks and Sheldon went off to check a few more places back down the road and came back about 30 minutes later. He had found one room in a local motel and asked if it was ok if Ruel and Azure could camp out the back. We could of camped but it was after 10 oclock by this time Sheldon was in no mood to be putting up a new tent when he could walk in an relax.
It was a busy day, we've seen so much and met so many people.

Ruel and Azure are such a great couple. They work hard for a few months, save some money and then hop on their bikes and travel as long as they can and then they stop again. They told us some great stories about the friendliness of the people they've met, whether it was in Australia or in Pakistan, Iran etc.

Ewa

Ruel and Azure in Gettysburg.

Site of one of the important battles of the time, Union forces rushed to this point to counter a raid, the Confederates in the second tree line in the distance, if they had broken through here they could of flanked the Union forces but were held back, lots of dudes lost their lives on the ground.

Some of the many monuments all around the battlefields of Gettysburg.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 10:33 AM
Old 07-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #1195
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

A busy Saturday at Gettysburg.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #1196
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We got up early cause we wanted to see Little Niagra Falls before packing the bike and heading north. Sheldon went out to check if Ruel and Azure were still around but they were already gone.

We did the medium length tour of the falls, it was still early so we were there almost on our own, with just a few other tourists. The falls were small but pretty with trees providing the shade. We came back to the motel, packed the bike and headed north.

We were on the highway for the first few hours to kill some distance and then we turned into some local roads. I loved all the little towns we passed on the way, colourfull houses with a lot of flowers around them and huge lawns. Kids must be making good money here mowing the lawns. What suprised me most was the lack of any kind of fencing around the properties. It seemed like they must lead a very peacefull lifestyle here.

We stopped for petrol and while we were their had somethign to eat and when we came out another motorcycllist caame up and introduced himself. Brian was a local from around here and was heading off on a ride of his own next week. Sheldon and Brian chatted for awhile on where to go he did point us in the opposite direction to where we were heading to a nice camping area by a lake but we decided to keep going towards the Finger Lakes.

In the end we came across a very nice campsite by the lake. It was more of a place for campervans and mobile homes we were the only ones with a tent there but the campsite owner Carl was a motorcyclist himself so let us camp for free which was very nice of him.

We took the tent out from the cover and were looking forward to seeing it up. It already looked a bit big and when we put it all up - it look even bigger, very big, I could stand up straight in the middle of it. Maybe it's a bit too big for our needs but certainly it's very comfortable to have so much space.

After we got over the initial shock of the size of the tent, we went for a little ride around town. It certainly seemed very idilic and ideal for families here in Union Springs on the Finger Lakes. The school looked really nice all the lawns were mowed it was jsut beautiful. Sheldon asked Carl when we arrived what do you people do around here, just walk around and hug each other all the time.

It was late afternoon but still a bit of light left so we went jumped back on the bike after unpacking and went for a ride around the area and up to the Union Springs to get some food.

Ewa

Bushkill Falls Pocono Region

Part of the path around the Bushkill Falls

The housing around here in the Finger Lakes region was really nice.

The local school look nice as well, easy to say sitting out here and not in the Principals office after just getting in trouble isn't it ahhh the good ol days lol

Some random shots of the Finger Lakes region

And up went the tent and wow it was huge ahahahah im way to civilized to be travelling the world on a motorbike, maybe I could invest in a separate shower tent.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 01:16 AM
Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 AM   #1197
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The next day we packed up and headed for Niagara Falls only a few hundred k's away which in the heat which was still in the mid 30's was going to be long enough.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #1198
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We rode right into Niagara Falls and even though it was hot we headed straight to the falls first as there was still enough daylight to sort out where we were going to be staying tonight. We pulled up in the car park right near the falls, we were a little concerned about leaving all the gear on the bike but oh well put the cover over it and hope for the best it should be right pretty much everything that can be taken sort of easily isn't anything that cant be replaced fairly easily. Let me just upload a few photos of the last few days at Niagara.

Maid of the Mist ferry on the agenda for tomorrow.

Thought id chuck my ugly mug in the picture

Here's a just a cute little critter RUNNING around near the Niagara Falls.

Here's a just a cute little critter LIEING around near the Niagara Falls.

We had gone over to the falls on the first night and had a look around but it was pretty hot so we didnt stay long till we foudn a tree to lie down under in the carpark to relax for awhile. We had a long day so we headed off to try and find a campsite ok the first one nooone was there so we went up the road onto Grand Island only a few miles from Niagara Falls. Ok its was goign to cost us 46 bucks to camp so how much for one of your cabins 70 bucks ok that'll do give us a key and we are out of here. They found us one in the shaded area of the aprk and bloody hell im glad they did it was like a sauna in there. I saw that they had fans for sale in the shop which I mentioned to Ev as different but now I know exactly why they were there.

Last night I had a really nice nights sleep on the lake at Union Springs but but last nights was to be the worst in a while. Plastic covered mattresses with no sheets so we had to sleep on out sleeping bags which was all that flash I was spewing I had booked it for two nights after that. The second day we did all the tourist stuff as you can see by the photos ive already posted so only haqd to put up with one more nights in this box dam it.

There was no way I was staying more than the second night. Niagara Falls is amazing and my first impressions was that it was more impressive than Victoria Falls though down in Zambia you had a herd of elephants walking by the waters edge as you viewed the falls.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 10:37 AM
Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #1199
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The view from the Canadian side we just parked the bike and walked over no dramas with border crossing just walk out of the US answer a few questions of the Canadian side and in we went.

I don't believe it took me that long to work out how to post videos but oh well I've done it now so from now on hopefully with better internet we will be able to able upload some more.

Ewa met a nice Polish family why we were up overlooking the falls its always nice to hear her jibbering in her native tongue.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 01:30 PM Reason: removed broken video link.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #1200
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,229
awesome rr.....lots of good pics of places i may never get to see.

thanks.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote