Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #1216
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 2,158
We left Willoughby and were going to head west to Chicago but decided at the last minute to head down south to Louisville in Kentucky to try and see my nephews son Hunter who lives there. It's about the same distance and put's us directly west of Denver and Colorado and the bottom of the Rockies where we would love to see as we head north.
We left just beofre 11 and got on ther motorway and thats where we stayed for most of the day.

About an hour or so out of Louisville I pulled of the highway and hit the back roads which were really nice. We stopped at a local service station and another biker on a Ducati pulled in and gave us a tip on what road to take, I was on the wrong one again. The ride through the hills was beautiful horse farms and beautifully landscaped gardens everywhere you looked made for a nice afternoon.

Eventually got to Louisville, by that time it was getting late and we had nothing booked and there was a decent storm brewing about to come down any second so I just looked up at the skyline saw the sign for the Marriott pulled in and down the rain came, timed it just right just again. Ok been living it up a but lately we will definalty have to get into the camping mode soon which will be no dramas but while we are riding so much and hitting cities we might as well be in the centre of town in easy access of all the tourist sites.

We rode through Cincinnati on our way south, Eva had the camera out taking some photos, hey what's this, your supposed to be taking pictures of the scenery honey, and don't give me oh it was a nice car crap, you cant turn your back for a second with these girls can you ahahah.

My first buffalo even if he was made out of Concrete

Just a picture of just some of the ride after we left the highway it really is nice around here.

The roads are just great to ride and hardly any traffic which was a bonus.

Stopped at one of the veterans cemeteries on the outskirts of Louisville

This guy earnt his place with something special 3 Bronze stars and a Purple Heart pretty much as decorated as you get I would imagine. I did Googled his name but couldn't find anything but if it was at the Battle of the Bulge some pretty fierce fighting took place there.

The Marriott apartments here in Louisville not to bad if I play my cards right I might even get lucky tonight.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 07-24-2013 at 12:39 AM
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #1217
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ok just spent two more days in Louisville tryign to track down Daniels son but all the phone numbers he has for his x are disconnected and the email I have is coming back so that sucks.

Daniel and Amy are aparently going through a divorce and its not going well so I hear which is a shame but man something i know all to well. Daniel gave me the address but im not to keen to go and just lob, maybe I will tomorrow before I left I txt him back saying ill send Ev up to the door at least if they gun her down it will be one less x we have to worry about in the future.

I was looking for a an x maybe I should of started my search here.

It is such a shame I wont get to see Hunter, but thats life. We have had a great time running around Louisville its not a real busy city from what I can gather most of the action seems to happen out in the suburbs surrounding the centre but its nice all the same and some great sites to see. Ill just upload a few pictures and you will see what kinds of things we've been taking in the last few days.

The Louisville Slugger Museum

Pee wee Reese who was a local who went on to a great career, but was immortalized in bronze for his support of his team mate and first African American baseball player Jackie Robinson, I haven't seen the movie but it's called 42.

Ok from there we headed a bit out of town to another famous landmark for a walk around, Churchill Downs home of the Kentucky Derby.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 11:21 PM
Old 07-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #1218
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Time for dinner at the old Spaghetti Factory here in downtown Louisville.

This was one of the main drags in town as you can see its not to busy here in the centre.

I had a make over while I was here in Louisville don't say your not impressed or even turned on a little, I'm just a cheap ho now ahahahah oh shhhhh

They had a severe thunderstorm warning and that it might create tornados with hail stones 2 to 3cm on the news tonight, boo friggin hoo no such luck ill defiantly be going chasing one of them before my time is up. I've just been watching the news out east of here they had 230 lightening strikes in 30 minutes that's pretty good stuff not the time to be out playing golf I can imagine.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 07-24-2013 at 12:58 AM
Old 07-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #1219
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up and left Louisville decided not to try and lob on the door step, I left a message with her doctor sister messaged, emailed and all no repsonse so its pretty obvious im not going to hear back. It brought back bad memories of when my family had in the past tried to go visit Logan at Christmas time only to have a door firmly closed in their face, what is it with some people when it comes to the other side of the family in breakups there certainly is just no middle ground with that shit.

Anyway enough of that stuff the next stop as we left Louisville was an apt place to stop, the George Patton Museum I bet he hadnt fought such dirty wars.

It really wasn't that much of a museum, not one Id say go out of your way to see but it had a few good things in it, he certainly was one of the head honchos involved in the second world war.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #1220
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

From there we went up the road a ways and stopped to make a withdrawel so I can continue on my merry way around the world spending at the rate I am. Mmmm a little bit of security here at Fort Knox maybe if I just ask nicely they do have 3% of all the gold ever mined stored here shouldnt be to much to ask just to grab a little.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #1221
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We hit the road again towards St Louis disappointed that they had knocked me back on my request for a few gold bars could they see how desperate I was slimming down looking like I hadn't eaten in months.

Speaking of not eating for months I hadnt slept well last night I was about to crash and checked my emails only to find one from mum about my bank account being overdrawn oh ok better check that out and you guess it some scumbag had worked out how to withdraw 300 bucks out in Ethiopia ahahah gawd what a windfall for someone down there now there is someone that probably hadn't eaten for months, its like 2 years wages for someone down there at the princely sum of 28 USD a month they earn, I'm sure they are running round pissed as a nute having a ball celebrating there good fortune. The good news is that if they are Ethiopian their life expectancy is pretty low so they aren't going to be into ripping people off to much past their 40's and if they are real lucky past 50.

Needless to say I thought I better jump online and sort it out before I crashed out last night only to get the site was down ok no probs ill give them a ring.

Jump on Skype and im greeted with we have the best customer service in the world ok thats great, 30 odd minutes later I finally get on to talk to someone, yeah best in the world. Get her to lock the account down then she said ill lock your internet account ok its late by now I say ok change my password, she does that then says I have to be put you through to another office to change your other password, ok no problems 20 odd minutes late ive had a gutfull of waiting, that's it stuff it if I cant log into the account no one should be able to and since they had withdrawn the account under what was actually in there if they are stupid enough to let anyone take any more money good luck to them they can have it.

Im pretty careful wirth how much money I have accesable just in case this sort of thing happens which at times has been a bit of a pain but its better than losing to much.

Enjoy Ethiopia ya thieving scumbag I'm stopping here for some lunch.

We cruised down the highway and at one point pulled off for some petrol and lunch and met a nice guy Doug who we had a good chat to. He was telling us to go north into Dakota and up that way but I really would like to go to Dodge City and as boring as the riding might be across Kansas being able to tell some one "Get the hell out of Dodge" just has to much appeal for me.

I had almost had enough for the day already so when I saw a hotel across the road I said to Ev lets call it a day, so we got back on the bike started on over to the hotel and you guessed it took a wrong turn and was back on the highway oh well im not turning around now. We ended up riding for a few hundred more miles till I was on reserve again and arriving in St Louis. We checked into an Econolodge or whatever it is called reasonably cheap we are going to have to camp soon we are carrying that taj mahal tent we might as well use it.

The only down side to me riding 500 odd k's in a day is by the time im getting off the bike im ready to lie down not set up a tent, I know thats lazy but its all just to easy walk in turn the air conditioning on and lie down put the tv on and relax.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 12:55 AM
Old 07-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #1222
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Today we had a really nice day crusing around St Louis taking in a few of the sites, heres just a few pictures of the days adventure.

St Louis the gateway to the west.

You learn something new every day, Napoleon sold this area which had been claimed by the French for 15 million dollars to the American's. Probably funded a lot of the Napoleonic wars I guess. Not a bad deal for the Yanks.

Shit oh the tragedies of life, I've lost a flip flop.

Got to go for a riverboat cruise on the Mississippi while we are in town.

The cruise itself isn't all that exciting the river front on the short cruise is pretty much made up of factories and shitty old buildings but oh well it was certainly a nice way to kill an hour or two on a beautiful afternoon.

Ok time to go up the Arch lets have a look and see what St Louis is like from up there.

This is the court house in he centre of the picture where, ok I don't know his name sued for his freedom from slavery and pretty much started the Civil War.

Now back to the current and the important things in life, the Cardinals and the Phillys playing tonight across the road.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 01:18 AM
Old 07-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #1223
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Its funny Eva was surprised by the bubblers to get a drink of water out of, I thought id take a photo of her getting her first drink from one of them and there was no other reason I did.

Of course there wasn't, what do you take me for some sort of hethan, pullese I'm just your kind considerate caring type of guy sharing some of the more beautiful things of the world, I could of posted another picture of some old building on the river's edge, yeah right. I know what I like to look at, FINE ARCHITECHURE.

Tomorrow we are off to Kansas city we have put a bit of time together on our route so we know which way we are heading for the next few weeks now so that sort of gives us some sort of goal other than just west then north which we have been riding with up until now. We've had some great suggestions on routes none more so than from Gene in BC who we met in Germany at Stefan's. I'm really looking forward to it should be an amazing part of the adventure.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 01:37 AM
Old 07-26-2013, 04:06 AM   #1224
TrevorHeath
Seattle to ??

Oddometer: 78
[QUOTE=It really wasn't that much of a museum, not one Id say go out of your way to see but it had a few good things in it, he certainly was one of the head honchos involved in the second world war.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the other George Patton Museum is better http://www.generalpattonmuseum.com/

It is on I-10 near the California - Arizona border

TH
Old 08-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #1225
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Today we got up and jumped on a bike and hit the road towards Kansas City. We weren't sure if we were going to stop there as we haven't done any research of what to see there. Our next planned stop was to be Dodge City. We arrived in Kansas City and had a quick look around and kept going to the other side of town, the western side. We grabbed a hotel and went up and got some dinner at one of the local fast food joints. While we were filling the tank up at the petrol station next door a young bloke Kyle came up and had a chat for a while before taking off down the road. We had a pretty long days of riding so we headed back to the hotel and crashed. Tomorrow we head off to Dodge City.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #1226
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Today we got up reasonably early and hang around for a while before hitting a road around 11am. As we were checking out an English guy came up and said Gday. He'd been travelling around the world and just got back from south America. We didn't stay long to chat, Ev came back to the bike from checking out and off we went.

We were riding down the highway towards Witchita and after about 10min of that I decided let's get off the highway so we hit some of the back roads south. Unfortunatly after about an hour there was a detour so it took us back to the expressway so i thought stuff it we'll stay on the expressway now.

We continued on and came to El Dorado. I've heard of that place before whether it was the famous El Dorado or not I wasn't to sure but we needed a break anyway and it was off the expressway so in El Dorado we rode. We hung around there for an hour or so relaxing in the central park. There wasn't much there. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the El Dorado I was thinking about but who knows google it.
From there we went on to Witchita and rode straight through before turning west towards Dodge City. We stopped at Pratt for pertol and something to eat and a guy in a pick-up drove over to have a chat. People of Kansas have been very friendly so far, I really enjoyed riding through here and talking to people. Chatted for about 10 or 15 minutes then he took off and me and Ev lay under a tree in the shade and relaxed for about an hour. Of course I was pushing up the Zzzz's not long after. Had a nap for about 20 minutes then got up jumped up on the bike singing the Kenny Rogers song On the Road Again and away we went.

A couple of hours of more riding and we arrived in Dodge City. It was getting late by now, the sun was starting to set so we went and found a Days Inn hotel. We checked the price it was a little bit expensive. Ev of course said do you want to go down the road and check some other places but no, not at this time of day. I was ready to put my feet up and relax for the night.

We hung around and relaxed for a while and then went down to another fast food joint Ihop and it was actually pretty bloody nice. Ev had a big fresh salad and I had steak, mashed potatoes and vegies, mmmm real meal. While we were having dinner the young waitress that served us was telling us her dreams about travel to Montana. It's always nice to hear other people's dreams, I wonder if she'll get there. She said she couldn't wait to get out of Kansas, just another want who wants to get the hell out of Dodge. Went back and crashed, it was a nice day's riding, good people, good roads, good weather.

El Dorado Kansas

Butler County Courthouse

Old 08-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #1227
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up and had breakfast in the hotel, it was pretty crappy. Most of the mid range hotels do have breakfast included but it's pretty basic cereal, toast, scones and some shit gravy locals put on them that I'm not game to try.

Of course Dodge City is home to Boot Hill or one of the many Boot Hills so off to the Boot Hill museums we went. There was one guy burried there who took a pot shot at Wyatt Earp and found himself burried in Boot Hill not long after. Not the wisest decision he's ever made probably. While we were there walking around met a nice family. The husband was English so pretty much straight away the conversation turned to cricket as the Aussies and the English are playing test matches at the moment, we have no hope to win the ashes this time and when I was speaking to him we were already 2-0 down.

We left the museum and went down to the bank to get some money out and got talking to some dude and it turned out he was from Nairobi in Kenya so it was nice to chat to him and talk about Nairobi it brought back good memories of my time there.

We jumped back on the bike and as we were riding down the road one of the panniers just fell off. I'll be stuffed if I know how it happened. I hope it doesn't happen while we are doing 120 k's an hour. Im not so worried about us but if it does come off it could cause an accident if someone runs into it cause it's a big heavy box.

We stopped at an Chinese and American restaurant for an early dinner which was bloody beautiful yet again. I actually really like the Yanks Chinese, it's lush.

Dodge City has a lot of southern American guys, I dont know if they're Mexican or where they are from. There's quite a big population here and I saw one guy with the branding MS13 on his arm so there's obviously some gang culture here unless he was visiting relos. Even he seemed nice, he gave me a knod and a wave. Maybe if I was in the wrong turf I might be gunned down but today I was greeted with a nice smile and a wave so all good.

We went on a bit more around town checking it all out then headed back to the Boot Museum to see the show they have on in the afternoon, well 7pm anyway. The show itself was cool. A couple of drunken cowboys stolling into town next thing you know there's a brawl and one thing leads to another and there's a gun fight with everyone dead except the sheriff. It was quite good, me and Ev really enjoyed it. After the show it was back to the hotel to relax and crash.

Dodge City was fantastic to see. I really enjoyed being in one of the real old west towns the home of Wyatt Earp and all the other cowboys such as Doc Holliday, Wild Bill, Hickok etc. Funny thing in one of the museum pieces we saw a short video saying how the town was cleaned up by Wyatt Earp and Bat Masterton and other law makers and by 1880 it was a thriving safe town but in the museum I found a small little paper clipping and in it it read that in 1879 they started to fine people between 5 and 50 dollars for being in brothels or with prostitutes. I'm sure that had a lot to do with all the cowboys and trouble makers moving on to some other town. Wyatt Earp left Dodge City in 1879 and moved to Tombstone where the show down at the ok caraal took place. I'd like to get there as well. I have to look where it is, I have no idea.

The riding out here is pretty straight but I was enjoying myself all the same, riding along the High Plains of Kansas does that make me a high plains drifter or a filthy pilgrim I'm not sure.

One of the small townships along the way and their storm shelter's.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 09:20 PM
Old 08-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #1228
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Here some pictures of Dodge City Kansas.

Couple of the local girls waiting for company they might be a bit out of my price range dressed in all their finery.

Just down the street here's one a bit more in my price range.

Ahhhh better stop here just in case.

Now I need to lay down and have a nap for awhile.

One to many bank robberies my good friend.

Ev trying her hand at teaching in the old school.

While she's teaching I'm heading to the local saloon for a brewski.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 09:15 PM
Old 08-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #1229
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

One of the local drive in restaurants went in here singing the theme to Happy Days, the only thing missing was the Fonz.

Oh look Eva there's an advertisement for Bud Light which I like aaaaalot.

And now it was time to

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 09:23 PM
Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #1230
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We left Dodge City heading west along the Santa Fe Trail. There were historical markers all the way along at different points all with their own little story which made the ride all that more interesting even if it was just straight flat road. Riding along seeing all those historical markers certainly takes you back to another era when they would have been crossing here on the high plains of Kansas in wagon trains and stage coaches taking on the prarie Indians and the other bad guys that might have been lurking around.

At one marker it pointed out some tracks in the grass but the most interesting fact was that just to the west of us was the Arkansas river which in the old days was the Mexican border, bloody hell that far up hey, I was really amazed by that fact so I was riding along the edge of the Arkansas river and in the old days I could have thrown a rock to Mexico from up here in the middle of Kansas.

We stopped for pertol in the small little community of Syracuse and in the short time we were there no fewer than seven people came to say hello and had a chat. We probably talked to five percent of the population. It was a tiny little town and we were made to feel very very welcomed there. I like it, the county folk they're always nice wherever you go, not that the city people aren't friendly, it's just seems to be some sort of energy that the country folk have, it's wierd, i've been thinking about that a lot the last few days travelling through Kansas.

I must admit I've really enjoyed Kansas and the people that have crossed our path, everyone of them has been just brilliant and I highly recommend to ride through here and taking the time to stop and chat to someone local unless they come to chat to you first of course.

Just one of the markers along the way.

The tree line is the Arkansas River and the old Mexican border.