Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #1261
mettalique
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Hi Guys, I've just spent a very entertaining week reading your adventure. Well I've got to do something at work while everybody does it for me! Love your sense of adventure and great blog. The photos are amazing.
We have not long returned from Vancouver where we stayed with dem lations, beautiful place but the scenery in Canada is spectacular. I was able to rent a bike for a couple of days, pity I was a bit cramped on it...GS500 Suzy. Rode up past Whistler to Pemberton and then out to Harrison Hot Springs the next day. Wonderful countryside.
I look forward to all your travels, Good to see an Aussie giving our take on the rest of them.
Cheers
Graham
mettalique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #1262
rharms
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Amazing photos from inside Glacier National Park! Really enjoyed meeting both of you and getting to talk for a bit that day, caught up on the beginning of your journey and what an inspiring story. Safe travels to both of you!

Rich
Old 08-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #1263
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by rharms View Post
Amazing photos from inside Glacier National Park! Really enjoyed meeting both of you and getting to talk for a bit that day, caught up on the beginning of your journey and what an inspiring story. Safe travels to both of you!

Rich

Hey Rich thanks mate hope you are having a safe ride home.
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #1264
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettalique View Post
Hi Guys, I've just spent a very entertaining week reading your adventure. Well I've got to do something at work while everybody does it for me! Love your sense of adventure and great blog. The photos are amazing.
We have not long returned from Vancouver where we stayed with dem lations, beautiful place but the scenery in Canada is spectacular. I was able to rent a bike for a couple of days, pity I was a bit cramped on it...GS500 Suzy. Rode up past Whistler to Pemberton and then out to Harrison Hot Springs the next day. Wonderful countryside.
I look forward to all your travels, Good to see an Aussie giving our take on the rest of them.
Cheers
Graham
Thanks for checking out the blog Mettllique rode the sea to sky road this afternoon I am about to upload a short video of the ride was great to do it late in the afternoon with no traffic
Old 08-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #1265
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno950 View Post
Great photos and storys as always,like your sence of humour.

Cheers Johnno
Old 08-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #1266
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorHeath View Post
Agree with you about Calgary although you blew by a complete Lancaster Bomber in Nanton south of there.

In Canada, if the hotels are too expensive, check out B&B on the side streets. In Jasper they were about 75 bucks.

Shame about Skagway but yes it is a long haul from Jasper to Whitehorse and the scenery is not that great.

Enjoy the Sea to Sky highway, consider crossing to Victoria then again to Port Angeles before riding down the Pacific coast to LA.

At the Mexican border be DAMM sure to get your passport stamped on entry. No one will offer you the service, you have to seek out the office. For Sonora (For example) though, you do not import your bike into Mexico until you leave the state. Other states may be different.

Be careful with this, some people have had to back track a 1000 miles from La Paz in the Baja because of no stamp in their passport.

Regards,

TH

Thanks for the tips Trevor they all come in handy and make the journey all that much easier, I always take notice of all the small bits of help you get along the way from just random strangers that you come across, every tiny little bit helps
Old 08-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #1267
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

I never exceeded the 60kmh speed limit in the making of this video ahahahahah yeah right

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 02:01 AM
Old 08-19-2013, 01:36 AM   #1268
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Here's just a short video of the other week down riding along the Colorado river near Colorado Springs. Id like to make more but I jut haven't been finding time to put them together and I'm surprised I have today after riding over 600 k's from Valemount to Whistler but what an amazing days riding and the last 200k's was fantastic with hardly any traffic as it was Sunday evening.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #1269
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Going back just a few days this time to one of the little critters we saw. Look out he's coming right at me BOOOOOM, I know only in America.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #1270
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Adventurer, now this was an adventurer.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 12:37 AM
Old 08-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #1271
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

From this

to this..............if Eva misbehaves she is in the other bed, hang on what am I saying, if she behaves she's in the other bed, I don't know just shhh up Eva and get over here now ill show you the best 2 minutes of your life.

Are you alright down there little guy that was a big 2 minutes last night. I feel so violated.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 12:07 AM
Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #1272
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Some of the scenery along the Sea to Sky Hwy

Another 10 hours on the bike to get to Whistler I was thinking this maybe I should be hitting these markets o the weekend instead.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #1273
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

What an amazing days riding though if you are ever going to ride the Sea to Sun Hwy do it late in the afternoon I only had to pass 2 cars and a few the other way, so much fun, as for the 60kmh speed limit along most of it I obeyed all the signs as I always do, my spot tracker might tell a different story though.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #1274
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We took a day off in Whistler, the hotel was really nice and pretty well priced, I think it was 109 bucks. We hit the road south towards Vancouver, this section of the Sea to Sky highway has some nice scenic spots but it's pretty busy. We decided to brush Vancouver as it was only an hour away or so and hit the border to the States.

We got to the border and it was a massive line up and I mean a massive line up so I did what every good citizen would do, rode up to the vacant lane to almost to front then cut across through the little barricades on the road, how the hell am I supposed to know what the Nexus line is. In the end the border crossing took us about 15 minutes, waiting in traffic, a minute with the border guard and we were off back into the States. I'm glad I didn't sit in line cause it was actually way back over the hill so I'm sure I saved us a lot of time.

So we are off to the States again, heading south, not exactly knowing where we were going. We cruised down as far as Seattle I thought that would be enough for the day, found somewhere to stay and lobbed for the night. It was a good ride, some nice scenery in the early part, sun was out, 25 degrees or 75 whatever you want to work it out so all in all a very nice day's riding.

Whistler BC Canada

Ev enjoying the view on the last section of the Sun to Sky hwy

Old 08-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #1275
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We got up and left and went into Seattle city for a while, checked out the Space Needle, they must have repaired it cause last time I saw it it was on the ground after crashing down and nearly killing Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones, they've done a good job, looked like nothing ever happened to it.

Downtown Seattle

We hit the road and we were headed to the start of the Pacific Coast Road. We plan to ride that all the way down through Oregon and into California. We found the 101 and that's us for the next few thousand kilometres, I think it turns into the 1 further down. The road started off really nicely, beautiful lush green forest, nice smooth roads excellent riding and another beautiful day's weather.

We kept riding, I thought again about stopping a few times but kept going as I wanted to get to the Pacific coast so we could officially say we've riden across America from coast to coast. We arrived in Seaside and went straight up the main drag to the beach front, we had all good intentions of camping tonight but as it was a bit cool we found a shitty hotel and booked in for the night.

Ewa went for a walk around town and I just realxed, she came back and hour or so later hung aroudn fr awhile and then we ventured up to the beach to have a look and then grab a bite to eat. It's a nice little town, definitely set up for the kids and families with all little game parlors, candy and ice cream shops everywgere. The beach itself is a pretty straight an uninteresting and they had construction going on because they've got some big rally event this weekend. It was a nice ride today, the 101 has started off pretty nice, sort of busy but not too bad, they say it gets worse as we get further south., tim will tell we arent so pressed for time now but by the time we are ready to go into Mexico im sure we wont have that may days spare with everything we wont to do and see.

The three things in the world I couldn't go without are in this photo, a Mac attack, my bike and of course a coke.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 01:16 AM