Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #1276
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,912
Reaching this point in the journey at Seaside Oregon marked an end to our ride across North America, what a fantastic ride it has been lots of friendly welcomes everywhere we have been and amazing sites we have seen. I understand now why Forest just turned around an went back again.

rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:53 AM   #1277
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Walking into the Pacific Ocean made me feel closer to home than I have for a very long time, home and little Loges was just over the horizon, ok 22 hours in an airplane over the horizon but over there all the same.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #1278
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We got up early this morning cause we crashed pretty early last night. I was up actually before Ev for a change. We decided to get going at 9am which is early for us and I mean really early when we stay in a hotel, that's ok but, the hotel was a shithole.

We hit the road and rode only about 10 miles and came across Canon Beach and turned off the highway to have a look. What a nice little village. We rode through then up to the beach front and as soon as I stopped the bike one of the locals came up and said G'day. We were chatting away when another group of bikers walked around the corner and came up for a chat. They were all from Canada and where riding down to Portland to see one of their brothers. They asked which are my favourite countries on my travels so I asked them where they were from and they said Canada, I just said oh Canada of course and we all had a laugh but to be honest the welcome we've had from the Americans and the Canadian people has really been friendly. I have to say the scenery on that Icefield highway from Banff to Jasper was as spectacular as anywhere we've been without a doubt.

We had a chat for a while and then we said our good byes and hit the road. One of the guys had told us about motorventurer in Chili and the guy who runs the tours down there was married to a Polish girl. I'm not a 100% sure but I met a guy in Tanzania who run tours on BMW in Chili and for some reason that name rings a bell, it'll be interesting to see if it was the guy I've met in Africa.

Back on the road again, we didn't get far, the next town was only 4 miles away, another nice little village so we stopped for a coffee and to relax for a while. The shithole we stayed at last night didn't have breakfast included so needed a breaky stop anyway. We hung out there for about and hour and then it was back on the highway. The road was pretty good, winding down the coast. We stopped in one of the towns along the way to get a puncture repair kit for the self inflating mattress cause poor young Ev has been sleeping on a self inflating mattress but might as well be sleeping on the ground for all the good it is with the hole in it when we camp, if I was a really nice guy I'd give her mine but yeah right sweetheart, you punctured yours, it's your problem.

Back on the 101 and rode and rode and rode stopping off at all the stops of all the scenic spots to have a look along the way. There was a heavy mist today but no rain but it took away from the view a little but it was still pretty impressive in parts. The traffic again wasn't so bad. We ended up in a small town called Reedsport at about 5.30pm so it'd been another fairly long day's riding but a nice ride, meeting some nice people along the way, seeing some nice sights and some great riding.

Some of the scenery of todays ride along the Oregon Coast.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 01:08 AM
Old 08-23-2013, 01:58 AM   #1279
mettalique
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
This looks about the same place mate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mettalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:01 AM   #1280
mettalique
Gnarly Adventurer

I added a photo of same place down from Whistler...some reason it didnt work. Enjoying your ride, nice little jaunt

Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #1281
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettalique View Post
I added a photo of same place down from Whistler...some reason it didnt work. Enjoying your ride, nice little jaunt

The one with Ev in it you mean, what a beautiful view hey
Old 08-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #1282
mettalique
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah mine didn't have a girl in it.....

Old 08-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #1283
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Had a day off in Cresent City to relax and tae it easy, went for a nice dinner in the local Chinese restaurant then to the movies the standard romance thing you know the stuff you got to go through to keep em happy. Ev was never a fan of Chinese food but I've converted her which is great cause I love it.

So we left Cresent city to ride south not exactly sure where were going to end up but in the end we got to Fort Brag. We rode through the Avenue of the Giants and seriously that place is amazing trees 7 and 800 years old, even when they fall it takes them 400 years to decompose. Ill just post picks of the day and it will give you some idea on these magnificent things we were looking at.

After we left the Avenue of the Giants and hit the road again we turned off the 101 towards Fort Brag and I tell you what a great ride if you are ever riding a bike up this way d it late in the afternoon or early in the morning to minimize traffic and have fun, really is an incredible ride winding twisting rod for mile after mile , if you do take the time to ride this road you would never regret it id have to put it up there with some of the better roads I have ridden so that give's you an idea on how much fun it was.

Just heading down the coast from Cresent City

Let the fun begin.

Oh look at the cute couple, look you just got to do the photo op thing at these places don't you.

The Avenue of the Giants

Now that's on big tree makes you want to become a tree hugger, these things are up to 800 years old, just incredible.

Oh no looks like Ev has become one

Even when the fall over they are still impressive.

After they have fallen over they take up to 400 ears to decay, this little guy has a while to go.

Time for a short stroll amongst nature, makes you feel pretty small around here.

Game of football anyone, the cross bar is up there somewhere.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 12:51 AM
Old 08-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #1284
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The Krisko's a really nice family we met from New England, mum, dad and 9 kids on an across country trip, now that's an adventure.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #1285
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Back on the road again and more amazing nature and sensational riding.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #1286
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Just a short video I knocked up, some of the video quality isn't the best ill take it up with the camera.....woman

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 11:26 PM
Old 08-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #1287
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Back on the road today heading south towards San Francisco, it turned out to be a long day and I felt every mile of it in the end, my back and neck was giving me hell and so was Ewa, god help me, I thought I full faced helmet would give me some peace and quiet but she still wouldn't shut up, our third argument in six months and I'll be happy to let you know that I was victorious once again.

The ride down the coast was beautiful, all the little villages and towns all with their own little bit of uniqueness. The road was great winding good surface and fun to ride, there were speed radar signs pretty regularly and with all the little villages you can almost guarantee that there's a copper if not in every one, every second or third so it was better to stay pretty close to the limit not to mention it was a beautiful sunny day, the views were nice so it was just a good day for a calm ride along the coast.

We ended up arriving in San Francisco crossing the Golden Gate Bridge at around 5pm so we'd been on the bike for about 7 hours pretty much non stop so I was getting pretty tired when we rode into town. We went to the center rode up and down looking for a hotel, found a few and asked the price 140 bucks little bit much when you add parking onto that which they try to nab you for 40 bucks or thereabouts that's a bit of a rip off actually. I thought bugger it let's just head south out of town, there'll be something on the highway and that's where we ended up, found a nice hotel a little bit more than what we'd like to pay but it's a 2 bedroom apartment with two bathrooms, one with a spa, I turned my back for 5 minutes after checking in and was wondering where Ewa was, and there she was lounging in MY bathroom, the one with the spa, I guess it's the quick or the dead around here.

All in all a really long day on a bike, I was exhausted, Ewa was in a mood, oh my god, she's trying to tell me now I was in a mood, I don't have moods, I just care too much whatever, hurry up in that spa Ewa.

Just outside of Fort Brag

And some of the other views along the way.

You can find beaches to yourself around here and all very nice

Some more nice forests to ride through as we head south

There was plenty of fun sections to ride, well pretty much it all was fun just some parts a little better than others.

Getting closer to San Francisco

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 11:43 PM
Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #1288
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Seeing gum trees line the road made it feel very much like home

Old 08-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #1289
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Coming into San Francisco

The trams with people hanging off them making their way up the steep hills is a sight to see

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 02:14 AM
Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #1290
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

I had a sleep in today, Ev just went in the other room and shut the door behind her and let me sleep. I didn't move till 11.30am, I was pretty exhausted. I got up, had a shower Ev was ready to go, we jumped on a bike and headed into town. I'd looked on the net last night to find a bmw dealer because I needed to see about getting a key cut so that was our first port of call, it was on the way in so that was alright. As we pulled in another guy on a touring bike pulled up and walked into the shop before us. As I was walking in I heard the doorman mention something about Brisbone to the guy who got off the bike. We went inside, it turns out Chris and Jimmy are two Aussie guys riding from Canada to South America. We had a bit of a chat, you never know, we might catch up with them on the road somewhere, we're heading in the same direction for the next I don't know how many thousands kilometres, actually it's something I have to google, I'm not even sure how far it is to South America, it's gotta be at least 12 thousand km cause that's what Africa was.

Chris I think one of the Aussie guys

Luckily Dean and the boys from bmw in San Francisco were able to organise a few replacement keys, I only got one good one left and another that snapped but somehow still starts the bike, I'm sure I can get something done in South America if I needed to and I'm not going down there with just one good key so it was great that we were able to organise them to be picked up in a few days. Everthing worked out good in our first day in San Fransico. We were able to book our Alcatraz tour as there was only one left for this week, they're obviously pretty popular and it only means we've gotta wait 3 days which is going to be good just to relax a little and enjoy te city.

We contiuned to walk and ride around all day, pier 39 saw all the seals and all the different attractions down there. The America's Cup is on next week so there's a few of those hi tech cats around, they're actually pretty impressive looking things and with the wind that's around at the moment is anything to go by, there should be some fantastic racing, it's not till the 9th so we won't be hanging around till then, we'll be leaving on Friday morning if not earlier then heading south somewhere.

Pier 39

Time for lunch on pier 39

Ewa thinking her luck has changed, well she does have time on her side, so maybe one day honey.

I've been looking into upgrading the suspension in my bike, I've done over 90 thousand km on this bike and standard shocks and I can feel them bouncing around everywhere but for a shock that everyone said I should upgrade before I left it's actually done very well. I've been undecided which one's to get Olhins or the fandangled tourtech shocks, I really don't know maybe I should just go with the standard one from bmw but they are a 1000 bucks I dont knwo I might jsut source a suspension expert and get them to give me some advice, either way I have to do a bit more research and get prices, from what I gather front and back upgrade is goning to cost about 2400 dollars, that's going to blow another hole in the budget, somewhere along the line I'm going to end up in a little chinese shitbox, I can buy two brand new chinese bikes for that and Ewa could ride her own bike, I don't know, we'll see. We have discussed sending her off to a weekend training course to learn to ride, I reckon that would be cool then again your doubling the fuel bill and possible probelms with the bikes.

The seals enjoying the sun n the end of Pier 39.

Bubba Gump shrimp is real.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 12:03 AM