Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #1321
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,912
After a few beers with the boys and another couple who had been to the Burning Man festival it was off to bed with only the fly screen of the tent which made for a beautiful view of the starry sky, falling asleep watching the sky taking in as many falling stars as we could was a pretty nice way to finish off what was an amazing day, great riding fantastic scenery and very nice people.

But then it was up at 5:45 to get packed and gone to try and beat some of the heat, which worked for awhile.

rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:50 AM   #1322
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Going over this rise the temp rose about 10 degrees Celsius then it was on for the young and the old.

Yeah thanks for the warning Mr Sign but in all my motorbike gear I don't need reminding.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:50 AM   #1323
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Heading into Death Valley the scenery is beautiful actually a hell of a lot like Namibia, only in Namibia its mostly all dirt roads not nice tarmac like here..

Old 09-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #1324
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The weather was pretty good this morning not to hot at about 38 degrees Celsius or 115 degrees so I decided Id go for a bit of a ride on my own along one of the rougher dirt tracks to have a look, well you wouldn't believe it, I go over the rise and sort of getting into it and hit some really deep soft sand and whoa the front goes the back goes I go forwards, backwards and downwards and hit the deck. It wasn't a big off, standard stuff really but unfortunately for me my foot got pinned under the back footrest so here I am trapped lying on my side with my leg pinned under the bike.

I tried to leaver it off my foot with my other leg but that wasn't going to happen on the angle I was pinned. Anywhere else this would be no problem but in Death Valley it could quite easily become a big issue with the severe heat so I settled down for a minute and did what any true adventurer would do, started screaming like a baby ahahahahah

I knew Eva was sitting just over the hill so was hoping she would hear me shouting out for her. Well luck was on our side again as fortunately I was only a little ways away from where I left her and with no other noise she was able to hear me over the hill, I waited for a few minutes and there she was walking over the rise, when she saw me under the bike lying on my side she dropped everything she had in her hands and came running to help. Together we were able to move the bike enough to remove my leg and myself form under the bike. I was fine, it was just a matter of getting the bike up off my leg and checking it out and away we went, so there you go had my 2nd small off in 92 000 k's so got to be happy with that.

It just goes to show though just how easy you can get yourself in difficult situations, I'm sure being trapped under a motorbike in the back tracks of Death Valley isn't high on the list of many adventure journals of wisest things to do lol

Back on the road again and off to one of the lowest places on earth, Badwater Basin.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 03:35 PM
Old 09-06-2013, 02:27 AM   #1325
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

As we rode along I realized I had hurt myself a little more than I thought, my back and shoulder were pretty sore but it was ok it was just riding in extreme pain that's nothing new it just made the day a little harder than it should of been in the heat.

Oh now this is a different place to go for a walk a tad warmish.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 02:33 AM
Old 09-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #1326
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

By this time the temperature was 43 degree Celsius so pretty warmish I was feeling the heat as well as my shoulder and back from the fall so we did the quick view of a few places the Artists way and the Golden canyon but got the hell out of there and headed up the other side of the valley to escape the heat. I actually think Ewa was feeling it more than I was, she was really struggling, I must admit it was pretty intense but still along way short of the conditions I had to deal with in Sudan where I actually thought I was going to die, now that was sooooo hot and the difference with the two places is over there in you cant escape it by just going up the other side of the valley as you can here.

We rode up to Dante's View and had a look form up there down along Death valley.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:02 AM   #1327
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Old 09-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #1328
Cariboostrom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
What a beautiful tribute to Ewa.... you're a lucky man Sheldon!
Cariboostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #1329
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
When I see shots of her carrying all your stuff in the teeming rain while you are shooting from someplace dry I wonder Sheldon ... is she too good for you? ha ha. But then I know you slaved away for hours to create the video. Well done great video and happy anniversary.
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #1330
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBD View Post
When I see shots of her carrying all your stuff in the teeming rain while you are shooting from someplace dry I wonder Sheldon ... is she too good for you? ha ha. But then I know you slaved away for hours to create the video. Well done great video and happy anniversary.

ahahah good one Rob, look its all got to do with making her feel like part of a team that I captain and coach, sending her out in the rain is the least I could do, you have to give them a run off the bench at some point, its all about team unity lol
Old 09-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #1331
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboostrom View Post
What a beautiful tribute to Ewa.... you're a lucky man Sheldon!
Haven't been to lucky in Las Vegas or is that Lost Wages as the locals call it though we have really enjoyed our time here.

At one point I mentioned to Ewa that we could get married here in Vegas, she said yeah that would be great I wont have to go to the gym again, can eat whatever I want and wont ever have to wax again, needless to say I took her to McDonald's for dinner and not a chapel.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #1332
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We have been in Vegas for few nights now enjoying relaxing taking in the sights, oh and losing money. Staying in a four star hotel for 50 bucks a night, well I guess if you add on the money you lose then it becomes more than that but that's ok Im not much of a gambler so I've only lost a little.

Here's just a few pictures of the entry into Vegas and some of the places we have seen and been.

Better stop and make sure this little pretty is ok, oh and take a picture of the sign too Ev

All down hill to Vegas, the days riding had been hot even after we got out of Death Valley but only up to 40 so a bit of water inside the jacket so I was ok with it. Ewa on the other hand really struggled with the heat today, she was so tired when we finally arrived in Vegas, the poor darling was really exhausted so just found a Macca's with internet got on booking.com and found a hotel went and checked in to relax.

We ended up t Harrah's was 27 bucks plus 18 bucks tax and 12% so still pretty reasonable and right in the middle of the strip.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #1333
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Next day we went out to take in the sites and enjoy some of what Vegas has to offer it really is a bit of a sideshow and a lot of fun. Here's a few pictures of the day.

I'm over here.

Keep dreaming away Ewa

I don't care how many photos you leave on the camera for me to find Ev it aint happening now get off to the gym.

Ummmm HELLO, that isn't the GYM I meant

Oh well what you going to do, I am in Vegas easy come easy go, might as well hit the tables.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #1334
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Some of the Las Vegas club scene

The Venetian

The Bellagio

The Luxor. The buffet in here was great for 22 bucks for dinner with Asian Italian Mexican seafood and sushi, most other buffets have been 30 ir 40 bucks a head a little to much unless your starving. We have been eating in the Asian American chew and spew joints off the strip for lunch and paying only 8 bucks and the food is still really good there so that's been keeping my fat content up.

Excalibur

Las Vegas Boulevard

Hmmmm growing a beard and strapping a baby to me, is it that easy.

Dance or perve or both, we will both walkout happy either way.

I know this isn't really motorcycle adventure posting but its all part of it.

Catching up with Henning in Caesar's Palace who I first met in Nairobi along time ago now, he has travelled down through Africa over to South America and up so was great to catch up chat and get some tips of the road ahead.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 09:33 AM
Old 09-12-2013, 01:59 AM   #1335
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Tine to take in some of the shows I like to watch Pawnstars

Ricks Restoration