Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #121
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,984
Sven and Andy fixing the flat I was lending moral support with a drink in my hand.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #122
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

You got to slum it on these types of trips sometimes this just happened to be one of those days,
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #123
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Had a real relaxing day today went for a swim in the hot springs spa it really is quite luxurious, anywhere else this would be classified as 5 star, im not sure what it is but its bloody nice.

Went for a walk up to the start of the Fish River Canyon not much happening here but still pretty nice. Might get a massage later but will see anyway nothing else to report other than met a few nice poeple over lunch, a group of young girls from a school in Cape Town travelling through Namibia with their teachers Dave and Niki. They had been rafting for 4 days along with learning about the geography of the place, what a great school excursion that is.

Anyway will move on tomorrow up to the Canon Lodge or the Canon Roadhouse ill see but Namibia plays South Africa in the world cup tomorrow morning so might pack up watch that with the locals, then nick off. Those places are only another hour or so away so not a big mission again, ill get there eventually, where that actually is I dont know but its somewhere.

The start of the fish River Canyon

Plenty of camping spots to pick from

Ahhhh relaxing in the hot spa someone has to do it so it might as well be me

Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 08:51 PM
Old 09-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #124
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Fish River Canyon

Had a pretty uneventful ride over to the Fish River canyon today was bugger all away so basically got up had breakfeast with Dave and his wife headed back to my room to finish packing and hit the road for the hour or so ride. Spent an few hours at the canyon its pretty spectacular for a big hole in the ground I must admit. The road out there was pretty shitty everyone was saying how good the dirt roads are in Namibia well the ones ive been on so far your not going to be wanting to be doing to much over 100 k's or your asking for trouble. Arrived at the Canon Roadhouse its pretty quaint at quaint anyone would think im edumacated, see what you've done Kimbo. Its a guest house in the middle of nowhere I was lucky enough to get the last room there was a hole heap of campervans up at the Canyon lookout and thay have booked all the campsites out and I got the last room so that was ok, I actually did think of keeping on going but everyone seems to stay here on the adventures through Namibia so im lobbing for the night. At 750 a night its pretty x'y but oh well if I knew it was that expensive I may of kept going but apparently the Canon Lodge up the road 20k's is over a 1000 so even more, thats getting expensive even for us Aussie with such a good exchange rate. By the look of the old group of old Euros turned up im guessing they wouldnt be haggling over cost there just out spending the kids inheritance.

Bumped into 2 couples travelling around I had met in the hot springs they had the ridgey didge set ups looked awesome yesterday I had said to them I was going to say it looks like you have everything bar the kitchen sink but they had one of them as well so that was no good. One of the couples had done alot of travelling im sure it would of been interesting to chat to them they had sailed around the world done Tassie and the east coast of Oz so travelled quite extensively hopefully ill be able to catch up with them one day on what they have seen, give or take a few years and I might.

So basically I did the Fish River Canyon today all in all pretty spectacular, tomorrow ill head off to Luderitz about 4 or so hours ride away on the coast.The temperature has been great for riding about 23 degrees celcius so great im sure it gets stinking hot here in Summer but this time of the year its pretty good. Oh nearly forgot met a few Germans, a solo guy on a bike in the middle of nowhere stopped and had a chat to Ahkmed he was from Colgne and had also flown to Nairobi to bypass all the crap in the north of Africa and heading to Cape Town, I also sat down when I arrived at the Canon Lodge and talked to another German couple who were heading to Springbok this afternoon so gave them directions to Annies guest house in Springbok as it was one of the places I tried to book in to.

Might have dinner here and a few drinks depends on what these old farts are up too surely there must be one alcholic to join me in a few.

The Fish River Canyon.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 05:12 PM
Old 09-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #125
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Just enjoying the view it really is pretty spectacular.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 09-27-2011 at 02:58 PM
Old 09-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #126
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

A little local boy enjoying the view with me.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #127
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Some more pictures of the Fish River Canyon.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #128
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

And one more.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #129
Black-Ops
The left one....

Oddometer: 112
A great read!

Sounds like things have cooled down a bit. We were at the hot springs 3 weeks ago and it was 35deg!
Old 09-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #130
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Yeah been pretty comfortable, was hot on the way over to Luderitz but nothing killer, I talked to a couple of guys that had done Cairo to Cape Town the other week while I was in Springbok and they had 54 in Sudan now thats warmish lol

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 09-27-2011 at 04:41 PM
Old 09-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #131
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The Canon Roadhouse

The Canon Roadhouse was a bit expensive at 750 Rand a night but there was no camps sites left and only one room so I grabbed it, apparently the Canon Lodge is 1300 a night. I guess when your in the middle of nowhere with an attraction like the Fish River canyon down the road you can basically charge what you like.Everyone was really friendly though enjoyed my stay there.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #132
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Pretty ncie beer garden at the Canon Roadhouse met a nice german couple and chatted for awhile there.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #133
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

When you open the Pandoras box an alarm goes off in the bar I didnt care I was opening it anyway you just never know what you will find in something like that.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 08:58 PM
Old 09-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #134
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Everyone that has done this trip would have the same photos as these but im going to post them again for you that havent seen them, its a classic place.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #135
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

A few more shots of the Canon Roadhouse.
Attached Images