Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 01:46 AM   #1351
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 2,112
Laugh

QUOTE=bavarian;22377290]Hi Sheldon,
had a look into the RR section and found out that you are still travelling the world with your two babies. Thanks for the daily updates on your adventures!!! It's all really entertaining especially for someone working all week.[/QUOTE]

Hey Bavarian thanks for dropping in, we are enjoying the states everyone we have come across have been really nice and friendly. In a week or two we head to Mexico and Central America so should be interesting.

And mate don't worry about working all the time I know exactly what you mean I'm doing it tough as well, getting massages off Ewa every day, I told her one day she will have to get her own bike and letting her massage me is my way if strengthening her wrists so she will be a better rider, hey it's just the kind of guy I am to be so thoughtful
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:48 AM   #1352
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We have had some fun riding Route 66 here's a short video I knocked up of the last few days.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #1353
Cariboostrom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Love the video Sheldon and Ewa....... kicking the can down the empty road at the end is perfect! Very entertaining. Every day I look for an update on your trip. Thanks for putting in all of this work on the ride report. I DO think Ewa needs to get her own bike. Go Ewa! You'll love it. Have fun and enjoy every moment.
Cariboostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #1354
bavarian
bavarian

Oddometer: 1,769
I know I know, this riding is a bloody tiring activity - but someone has to do ti and I am glad it's you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforsmiles View Post
QUOTE=bavarian;22377290]Hi Sheldon,
had a look into the RR section and found out that you are still travelling the world with your two babies. Thanks for the daily updates on your adventures!!! It's all really entertaining especially for someone working all week.

Hey Bavarian thanks for dropping in, we are enjoying the states everyone we have come across have been really nice and friendly. In a week or two we head to Mexico and Central America so should be interesting.

And mate don't worry about working all the time I know exactly what you mean I'm doing it tough as well, getting massages off Ewa every day, I told her one day she will have to get her own bike and letting her massage me is my way if strengthening her wrists so she will be a better rider, hey it's just the kind of guy I am to be so thoughtful [/QUOTE]
bavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #1355
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We got up and left Segman or what ever the town was called and headed west along Route 66. The road was through the desert and not all that interesting and in places quite rough, we stopped off for a drink and then for some lunch but pretty much just rode through the desert and arrived in Barstow. The traffic was actually quite alot less on this section of the road which makes sense as alot of it actually just runs along the main hwy, if I had ridden this road before I'd be a big chance to be doing the same.

It was actually quite warm at around 40 degrees celcius so in the end a few hours on the bike and a few more stopping to take the sites in like the crater along the way, oh dont ask me what it was called, it wasnt all that exciting.

Eventually we arrived in Barstow low on juice so im guessing I must of covered close enough to 300 k's so not a bad day's riding. We found a Days Inn, the cost was not to bad so we checked on and relaxed for the night. We arent far from LA not even sure where we are going or what we plan to see while we are there but im sure it will be ok, we are both starting to look forwad to hitting Mexico, actually Ev's found a few documentries on TV on Mexico lately so they have been great to watch and really has given us some insight into what there is to see and do down there.

Time for a drink along Route 66

This was one weird palm along the way, I had never seen anything like it, I like when you come across stuff like this.

Somewhere along the line the topic of marriage came up again, yeah sure honey let me think about it for a minute mmmm decision's decision's

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 03:16 AM
Old 09-26-2013, 12:59 AM   #1356
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Last night we had got on Google maps and had a look at where exactly Route 66 went and were just going through the map Ev found this squiggly road through a green section on the map and after riding it today what a great decision it was to make the detour off 66 and onto Hwy 2 across into LA.

We rode down towards San Bernadino then headed up into the hills and along Hwy 2. Its a winding road of about 60 miles and what a great ride it is. We stopped off at a bar restaurant called Newcomb's where there was about a 100 bikes parked and as soon as we stopped we were joined for a chat by John and Jim and his mates. They were telling us about this ride and how it has been in a few of the magazines, I guess cause it is so close to LA and so much fun. I think it was Jim who had racked up the most in their club this year at 70 000 miles, not a bad effort at all. find them herself as well.

Back on the bike after chatting to a few more poeple it was into LA to find somewhere to stay. We had contemplated stopping up in the hills and camping but the boys had told us about the traffic on Monday mornings so we decided we would just get into town and find somewhere. We ended up in a reasonably priced hotel along Sunset Blvd, I saw a couple of other hotels that may of been a bit cheaper but at 75 bucks Im pretty sure this is close to as good it will get, it will do us for a few nights anyway.

Just a small section of Hwy 2, I took a lot of video footage maybe I'll use it one day.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 03:09 AM
Old 09-26-2013, 01:12 AM   #1357
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We have settled into a nice enough hotel and hung out here for a few days. We did the regulation ride round town checking out all the tourists spots as you do. Other than eating in nice cafes on Sunset Blvd heading out t Maibu its been a pretty uneventuful few days but I must say this town certainly has some action, everywhere you turn theres something to do and see, as much as im not really a city person id love to come back and spend some more time here.

Where am I now, there has to be a sign around here somewhere.

Bambi meets Godzilla

Lunch in one of the cafe's along Hollywood Blvd.

Tine to head over to the other side of town

Probably should get myself a little run around town car while I'm here in LA

Actually this Bugatti was owned by the Iranian designer Bijan Pakzad who died earlier this year and is parked outside his shop as a tribute to him, the shop has been described as "the most expensive store in the world", and with a price tag on this car of around 3 million dollars it seems to fit right in here, it has a quad-turbo 16-cylinder engine that churns out 1200 hp with a top speed of over 430 km/h and goes to 100 in 2.7 seconds it certainly is an amazing piece of machinery. When I saw this I thought of my little Logan as it was always his favorite car.

Which one is going to get towed if the meter runs out.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 02:55 AM
Old 09-26-2013, 03:01 AM   #1358
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ok time to look for somewhere reasonable to stay. This area looks nice lets check it out.

Let's see of there is anything worthy up Belair Drive.

Come on mate this place is a dump I don't care if Elvis lived here or not.

Ok this place has a nice view.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 03:08 AM
Old 09-26-2013, 03:04 AM   #1359
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Time to hit Santa Monica Pier and the end of Route 66

While we were at Santa Monica Pier we met Damien and Kaylene from Tassie back home who had just been on their own incredible 8 week ride across America.

While we were in Santa Monica I stopped off at one of the skateboard shops as this is pretty much where it all started back in the 70's.

Meeting the guys in the shop who had seen the whole skateboarding industry grow into what it is these days and hear some of the stories of the early days of Burnside skate park was really cool.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 03:26 AM
Old 09-26-2013, 03:06 AM   #1360
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Anybody for a surf here at Malibu, ahahahah my wave my wave fook you my wave.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:34 AM   #1361
Blue Icebreaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Awesome as usual! Where are you going next? Heading down to Mexico towards Baja?
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. Morihei Ueshiba

Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #1362
bargearse
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Laugh bargearse talkin to ride ror smiles

gday Sheldon, nige talkin at you from oz, your old physio from ocean shores. Karen told me about your blog and I started reading about a month ago.. still stuck in Africa.. readin about your exploits.. had to say hi before u left America.. sounds like you've been havin such a fat time mate.. im really happy for ya bud.. ewa loks like a good girl and uve definitely landed on ya feet with the bmwabble u.. I remember the first bike u were goin to set out on.. watta change eh?? its abit funny but about 5 months ago I bought the exact same cikkle.. too weird.. im lovin it btw although at this stage unlikely to get the ks on it that u r. anyhoo love readin about wot yr up to bloke .. keep safe ok no more interactions with trux.. anyway time to drink beer.. the north coast is still here butt your not.. have fun mate upya bum nige
bargearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:48 AM   #1363
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Icebreaker View Post
Awesome as usual! Where are you going next? Heading down to Mexico towards Baja?

Cheers Icebreaker, We head over the border next Wednesday into Baja just waiting on a few sprockets to turn up which I might have a little trouble sourcing down the coast, my next goal is Brazil for the soccer world cup in June next year so got a bit of time up my sleeve to get there. Thanks for following.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #1364
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargearse View Post
gday Sheldon, nige talkin at you from oz, your old physio from ocean shores. Karen told me about your blog and I started reading about a month ago.. still stuck in Africa.. readin about your exploits.. had to say hi before u left America.. sounds like you've been havin such a fat time mate.. im really happy for ya bud.. ewa loks like a good girl and uve definitely landed on ya feet with the bmwabble u.. I remember the first bike u were goin to set out on.. watta change eh?? its abit funny but about 5 months ago I bought the exact same cikkle.. too weird.. im lovin it btw although at this stage unlikely to get the ks on it that u r. anyhoo love readin about wot yr up to bloke .. keep safe ok no more interactions with trux.. anyway time to drink beer.. the north coast is still here butt your not.. have fun mate upya bum nige

Hi Nigel, how's it going things are good here in San Diego. The ride has been fantastic its getting up towards a 1000 Sunday rides now, time flies hey, it seems a long time ago I hobbled into your physio to start my recovery after the accident.

I still struggle a bit with my back and neck its one of things I have to deal with, that I have to take this pain with me everywhere takes some of the enjoyment out of it a little, but it's all good I just make Ev carry all the heavy bags, pack the bike and massage me all the time you know how it is, its a bit like having my own Karen at the surgery, you ask for a little but get nothing in return other than a mouthful of smart ass comments ahahahahaha.

Seen some wonderful things and met some great people along the way on this adventure it's certainly been an amazing ride, and the adventure continues into Central and South America looking forward to that, I have no idea what to expect which is always good, Ive been practicing up on my Spanish, well I've learnt how to sing La cucaracha so if I get into any trouble ill just break out into song that should see me through.

Thanks for following mate enjoy your new ride, there fantastic machines aren't they, say hi go Karen for me. Take care mate.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 06:13 AM
Old 10-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #1365
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Time to leave Los Angeles and head south towards San Diego, we had thought about going through Venice beach etc but gave it the flick if I do continue my trip there's every chance I'll be back in LA at some point to fly out.

We have had a great time in LA everywhere we went we were met with a friendly welcome. The city itself has so much, we went there not knowing what we wanted to see and left a week later only just taking in a tiny portion of it all. Broadway all the movie studios, Venice Beach just to mention a few there was still so much to see and do.

Here's a few pictures of the ride down to San Diego. Bye bye Hollywood