Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #1366
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,912
Heading down the coast the next port of call on my books was Huntington Beach Pier.

rideforsmiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #1367
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Newport Beach California, you could put Gold Coast Queensland on this picture and no one would ever question it.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #1368
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oh look at that sign Eva Mmmmmmmaybe we should take the time to get the bikes exhaust pipes cleaned here in Encinitas.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #1369
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Back on the Hwy south right along the coast enjoying the ride, weather perfect, not to hot not to cold, view's nice a really enjoyable days cruising the California Coast ahhhhh its a tough life now stop reading rubbish and get back to work.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #1370
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

San Diego skyline.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #1371
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Just a few shots of San Diego Old Town.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #1372
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The next day was off to the Maritime Museum and a ride around the coast, the maritime Museum was cool getting to go on a few submarines one Russian one American, those dudes certainy earn't their money going in those rickety old things especially the Russky one.

I can hear it now back in the good old days, "all aboard, shit Captain you sure this thing goes underwater"

You could have some fun with this part of the boat, fire in the hole.

Oooops, well when you got to go you got to go, no one is going to notice a little leak in a submarine are they

This is the kind of door I need when Ev is having those moments, if she keeps going off I could just flood the compartment ahhhh the silence is bliss.

Look at all this these days its probably just log in or ctrl alt del to start it up.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 10:59 PM
Old 10-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #1373
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Now down into the Yank one.

Ev checking out the bike, the periscope actually worked. They might of been from slightly different eras but the living conditions on the American one to the Russian one were pretty amazing the Russkies certainly must of been some crazy dudes. Apparently the accident rate on the Russian subs was quite high, oh really.

Get off the road you weirdo, Im pretty sure the captain might not of been impressed with my last ride T-shirt in the old days.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #1374
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

There were a few other boats to take in it was all pretty cool to be strolling around the waterfront on such a beautiful day.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #1375
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

But there was one more that was worth taking in.

The USS Midway

Old 10-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #1376
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Today I tried to track down Daniel my nephew so dropped into one of the surf shops to ask if they knew who he was and if they knew where we might find him. Luckily the guys in the shop we dropped into had heard of Daniel and put us on to a shop where the owner Bird loves them and has a few of Daniels boards so of we went in search of the Bird and see if he knew Daniel's whereabouts.

We found the Birds shop pretty much ok with the direction from the guys and walked in and I asked would yo know where I might find the little freak that makes these weird boards and got a really friendly welcome, he must of picked that me and Daniel are family he said I look just like him, well I dont now how he makes that comaprison three of Daniel would fit in my belly. He called Issac out of the shaping room to meet us, another one of the young shaping brigade taking the boards into the future, they are both really impressed by Daniel's designs and they really are different and from all reports work great, I'll have to give one of them a go one day. We ended up hanging around for awhile then went out as Bird wanted a photo with the bike so Ev grabs his iphone and walks away to take a picture and down it goes, smash, oh now thats just great, the screen is shattered in a thousand pieces. Oh well I ask Bird where is a shop we will get it fixed he was wanting to do it through insurance but come on by the time you pay the fee they ask you might as well just go get it done.

So on to the bike and off we go down the road to the shopping centre and find the place we can get the screen fixed. As we are walking in we have a quick chat to one of the guys at the front info desk and he points us in the right direction all while having a bit of chat about the journey so far. You get a good reaction whe you tell people where you have been usually a WOW thats amazing, I wonder at what point ill feel ive actually done something special if I ever will, its just a ride its really no big deal everywhere you go its just good friendly people and good things to see, everywhere is the same really just nice friendly people wanting to say hi and help in any way if they can.

We find the guys that can fix it and it cost 75 bucks, money I didnt really want to spend but you got to do what you got to do when you break something, well Eva broke it but its us in the washup. We get the screen fixed and head out having a chat to the guy we met beofre and his mate for a little while and then its back to shop. Bird still wants to pay but I cant have that he has like 15 or 20 of Daniels boards in his shops some of my brothers surf mats how can you let someone pay when they support our family in such a great way and thats exactly what I told him and thanked him for his support. The shop itself is an amazing Museum of surfboard design with hundreds of boards to be quite honest I actually thought to myself id pay to come in here to see such history anyway so that 75 bucks was my way of paying my dues. He has boards from every era it really is an inpressive and I noticed quite a few I had seen beofre from George Greenough spoons to Pipeline lightening bolt guns to just about everything else you can think of and Daniels boards were front and centre of the shop leading the way in design and technology.

We eventually said out goodbyes to Bird and Issac and headed back to the hotel which wasn't far down the road I must of gone around in 10 circles to get there because it took us an hour to get there and 5 minutes to get home.

What a collection, if you are in San Diego and into surfing check out the Birds place its a great place and not just because Daniels boards are in there he really does have a great history of surfing there, you wont walk out of there disappointed you went that's for sure.

Tomo designs front centre and left in the Bird shed, Daniel won an award the other year in the states the first time it has been won by someone from outside America and he backed that up with another win making it 2 out of the last three years his designs have won. He has come along way since he was dropping in on the big boys carving it up back home as a 4 year old. Good onya Dan.

One of the boards they used to ride at Pipeline, these boards were made famous by the likes of Gerry Lopez.

The green one in the middle is one of George Greenoughs old moulds from way back in the early days of short board surfing.

The Bird Shed its a little hard to find but only a few minutes away from the old town, for surfers its a great place to visit.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 11:36 PM
Old 10-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #1377
DKW1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
San Diego

Hey, why is it that you have seen more of SD then I have? And I live here! I'm glad that you and Eva enjoyed our piece of paradise. Looking forward to catching up to you guys in Baja. (If you survive the sins of Tijuana) lol
DKW1200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #1378
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Headed off to Mexico today, after we checked out we rode over to get the sprokets I had on order, fortunatly they were there but the rear sprocket was the wrong one which sucked but its no big deal just means ill have to siurce one down in Mexico somewhere. Once we had them it was off towards the border and Mexico.

I wasnt sure of the cost of fuel over the border im guessing its cheaper but I havent come across anywhere since Africa with cheaper fuel than the States so we stopped to fill up and while we were there we cruised over and had a nice chinese lunch in one of the buffet joints. I had no idea what the deal was going to be crossing into Mexico with the bike import thing the exiting it from the states and the tourist card etc but in the end we got to the border and past through both sides only having to stop at a boom gate with no body there on the Mexico side so what the hell, im keeping on going while the going is good, i'll get a hotel and worry about the paperwork side of things tomorrow one of the joys of not being on a deadline. So we are in Mexico heading south not to far but I must say Tijuana looked a little rough after being in Europe and America for so long but im sure it will grow on me again it just takes a few days to readjust being back into these types of places.

I have to get my tourist card from Tijuana but i know now that I can get my temporary import permit in La Paz so thats no problems for now. We drove about 5 or so k's from the border and found a nice hotel where to stay, seeing a federal police officer standing there with a machine gun gaurding the place I wasnt sure if it was a good idea or a bad idea to stay in a place like this, I would think its better to stay away from both sides of the argumment down here.

Its a nice enough hotel and theres like 30 federal cops staying here along with all their guns and trucks so if anything is going to happen its going to be one hell of a show. After we had settled in we went for a walk over to get some dinner I was telling Ev about all the kidnappings that happen and that they had 35 federal cops mudered and dumped on the hwy not long ago but that wasnt anywhere near that was over near where Mike lives and where we are heading so its all good around here I reckon.... poor Ewa hey got to keep her on her toes someone has to keep their eye out for trouble yaaaawn.

So in Mexico the border was no problem, well I rode straight in there is no check or anything at all, i'll blog about the paperwork side of things as i go im sure its no big deal from what we have researched its just go in and get it and while we are there we will check out a bit more of Tijuana.

These guys looked like they were doing it tough, I'm not sure but it may of been people deported from America or caught trying to cross into America from other countries, we stopped and pretty soon we had a few of the guys coming over for a chat to ask for money understandably they were groveling pretty badly. The tents are obviously supplied as they were all the same and pretty decent but still I have no idea how long they have been there, a tough existence nevertheless.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 12:21 AM
Old 10-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #1379
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We went back into Tijuana today to get the tourist card sorted out we knew where the border was and we just went back to the border of course its going to be somehwere there. We found a back entrance to the border and one of the guys made out to talk to the cop walking up the road and fortunately he could speak English and said give him a minute and he would take us through to get it all sorted. So by the time we had gone bck up the road unpacked the bike and got the paperwork out he was waiting for us to go through to the border post and to the office, pointed us into the right door, stamp stamp, fill out this fill out that now go pay the bank. We walk out of that offiice and the Police officer is waiting for us and points us into the next office to pay the fee and then two minutes later we are back in the first office one more stamp and we are done and the copper walks us back across the border post and we say our goodbyes and Gracious's and away we go, now that was easy.

Ok there was probably an easier way if you are coming into Mexico through the Tijuana entrance when you come to the border keep in the most right hand lane and you will ender into a carpark that is the anything to declare part, park there and talk to the cops and the tourist card is at the other end of the blue building and the bank is there as well. If we had known that and how easy it is we would of stopped yesterday but it gaves us an excuse to stop in Tijuana, I probably would of ridden off and not come back if I had it and it really is worth a look but be ready for a bit of a culture shock of course and that what makes it so interesting I think.

We went for a ride around town checking out all the sights and rode through the redlight district of Tijuana and wow what a classic this place is, ive been to some seedy areas in my time but this is right up there with the best of them, serioulsy. Im guessing this isnt on the tourist maps and if it is id be pretty sure not to many people get down here especially this one seedy little road we went along.

A few more hours in Tujana taking in the town its not a real pretty ton lets get that straight, but there is people and characters everywhere and its just different and I like it. The traffic isnt so bad pretty reasonable really I had a few buses fly past me and turn right across three lanes but hey its their road who am I to argue with a mad bus driver.

We got back and relaxed its been a good day taking in the sights and walking around town, no robberies or stabings yet just a nice people oh hang on when we were going back into town today there was a guy splattered on the road with cops all around him he didnt look like he was from the upper class side of town infact he may of been from the tent city it was just across the way, poor bugger he didnt look in a good way either, I tried to get Ev to video him lying on the deck but she probably had her eyes closed the big pussy.

America on the left and Tijuana and Mexico on the right.

Tijuana

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 05:27 PM
Old 10-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #1380
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Hanging out last night talking about that sin city part of town and we got no photos I decided we've got to go back and take a crusie down that street again just to make sure its as bad as i thought it was so we we are staying in Tijuana another night, hey this place grows on you its certainly different to the western world but im settling in pretty quickly, Ev's fine too though im not sure whats with the tears all day and night saying I want to go home I want to go home, actually shes settling in ok as well even with my horror stories about the cartels and he war on drugs.

So up and on the bike and riding into different parts of town just taking it all in, im not sure what the hell is here to see in the way of tourist stuff theres a few markets and plazas etc So we just jumped back on the bike and rode. Its quite surprising how much dust there is in the air here, I have been riding with just my bike pants and T-shirt on and my shirt was covered in dust when we got back to the hotel. Another good day we stopped off at a nice chinese restaurant for dinner on the way home, I didnt expect to see one of them for awhile, been here 2 days and havent had a taco yet but there is a mobile truck restaurant down the road from the hotel that has been busy everytime we have walked past obvioulsy a good place to try one night or day beofre we leave here.

It really is nice to be off the time frame of 3 months we had in the States I have 6 months in Mexico if I want not that im going to be here that long but I dont have to go anywhere if I dont want to and that feeling is nice, we will head south over the next few days to Ensenenda and stay down there for a little while as well apparently there is good surf there, ill have to see if its possible to get hold of a board and take Ewa surfing, its been a while for me too dont worry.

Who says it isn't safe here in Mexico, obviously you guys are just hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Thought about picking myself up a nice ute to cruise around here in Mexico, the accessories that came with this would add some security that's for sure.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 11:32 PM