Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #1381
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 2,158
Home with a view over the border to America, it's a little like South Africa here in Tijuana Mexico though over in SA there is so many more of these kinds of places where thousands if not 100's of thousands live and just across the road is the big Richie rich houses, the only difference from here to there is no helicopter gun ships, 30 foot wall or two armies to keep them at apart.

Ok time to get insurance, its not compulsory in Mexico but if you have an accident and don't have it or the cash to pay for the damages in your pocket its off to jail, so for a 130 bucks it was a must really.

Time for a drink mmmm what's that glint that caught my eye in the reflection.

You will never make it mate give up

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 06:25 PM
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #1382
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

After spending one more day in Tijuanna we were up and off down the coast to Ensenada which was only just down the road an hour or so. We stopped off in Rosarita for a look around stopped for lunch then moved on down the road. We cruised down the toll way which actrually is off the old hwy and at a few points I thought of going down onto it as the road in places looked like a fun ride but the tollway is elevated up the hill a little which gives you a nice view of the coast so a bit of a trade off. The tolls are 15 pesos which is about a 1.10 and there was three in between Tijuana and Enseanda so not a real big deal.

The ride down the coast is beautiful there is some great coastline in this section and we stopped quite regulary to take it all in, its handy having the bike so you can pull over in the little areas easier im sure a car might not be able to stop in some of the paces we were able to.

Some of the views were quite nice, don't know where I've seen this guy before but he looks familiar.

There is a bit of building going on along the coast, how long these have been in construction with the loss of the Cringo dollar I have no idea.

Taken from the toll way looking down over the old hwy.

Fish farms and beautiful coastline not far north of Ensenada.

We arrived in Ensenada and kept riding looking for a hotel and didnt really see anything we saw off the main hwy that caught our eye so we continued on through town and then saw a sign for a resort on the beach and headed down the road. we ended Estora resort and hotel its is beautuful 90 bucks a night with views straight over the water a nice pool with a sunken bar, looks like a nice place to hang out for a few days.
Some one on facebook told me to be safe and post some pictures as I got to the more dangerous areas further south so here is a few of the ones I posted.

I know this looks dangerous but I picked up a big stick to keep Ewa away from me while we are here.

70 bucks a night plus tax isn't to bad for this joint right on the water what a great place to chill out for a few days.

Put some clothes on for gods sake we are in a Muslim country, oh hang on no we aren't.

Close your eyes honey and have a rest I'll find something to keep me amused.

Me taking a chance unarmed with Ewa around somewhere

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 12:28 AM
Old 10-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #1383
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We.'ve 4 ights just enjoying this beautiful area relaxing by the pool going for walks and rides into Ensenada. There isn't and surf so to speak here which sucked and it is all on the northern end of town but still its been a really nice relaxing time. The restaurant here is great and is really pretty well priced we had a few good meals out of there as well as riding into town and grabbing stuff in the supermarket to save a few bucks. The room has a fridge wi always handy being able to store food for a few days when you want to save a few bucks, look it not that expensive to eat here but since we sort of splurged a little on the room we need to try and keep the excess expenses to a minimum.

There is a few car's here I was expecting it to be a little bit smaller a community than it actually is, the buses are a little crazy but you just got to be aware of them not giving a stuff and giving them a wide birth and expecting them to pull out on you at any second. At a few traffic lights I've seen the buses scoot off well and truly before the lights change to green so that will be something to be aware of when I'm thinking of racing a orange light. The roads here are pretty smooth I would hate to think what they were like in the wet slippery as hell I bet.

Here's a just a few pictures of Ensenada and out little tourist rums into town. Ensenada is a port town again something I was expecting and you know what port towns are like usually they aren't the prettiest towns and this place is no different.

Parked right in the main drag of Ensenada.

Ev enjoying the view of the cruise liner and the port down on the waterfront.

The waterfront at Ensenada.

Then it was over to the other touristy section of Ensenada and where all the bars cafes and little gift shops are, the sellers were pretty harmless compared to some countries and it was very quiet, the locals we have talked to say it is very quiet and they used to get a lot more people down here, I guess the stories on the news programs about the killings are doing their job and keeping people home. So far we haven't had any issues other than being made to feel welcome, even if the Mexican people aren't the most smiley people in the world when you get talking to them they are really friendly, lets hope that continues, I'm sure it will.

The whale man statue, the grey whale migration is one of the great migrations of whales in the world unfortunately we are going to just miss it probably as its between November to April, the way we are travelling though we might still be in Baja for it.

Tomorrow we are heading off to San Quinton hopefully to meet up with David who I met through here and is travelling down through Baja, we aren't sure what the place he recommended is like we may stay a few days or we may just keep heading south, we will see tomorrow. What a great little resort the Estero is, if you are in southern California and want a get away I would highly recommend this place its beautiful the pool is nice with a sunken bar to relax around, its very secure for all you pussies that worry about Mexican murderers, the restaurant is nice and its only about 10 k's south of Ensenada so an hour two south along the expressway from Tijuana.

Downtown Ensenada

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 12:24 AM
Old 10-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #1384
akdora
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Safe travels.
Good luck.
akdora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #1385
DKW1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Baja

Hey Sheldon, nice shots of Ensenada. I hope you got my email. There is a storm hitting Baja Sur Tuesday thru Thursday of next week. So I delayed my trip one week to assure I have plenty sun with my cerveza. I'll be watching for you guys as I make my way south next weekend. Cheers and stay dry.
DKW1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #1386
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW1200 View Post
Hey Sheldon, nice shots of Ensenada. I hope you got my email. There is a storm hitting Baja Sur Tuesday thru Thursday of next week. So I delayed my trip one week to assure I have plenty sun with my cerveza. I'll be watching for you guys as I make my way south next weekend. Cheers and stay dry.
Hey David I sent you an email but when I looked in my sent folders tonight there was nothing there so I'm not sure if I may of got disconnected before it was sent. I checked the weather it looks like that front is heading out to sea but either way we decided to head south anyway, what's the worst that can happen it changes direction turns into a hurricane and come s crashing ashore, I must admit to be a bit of a fan seeing nature in her full glory but studying the weather satellite's ill be backing its all over red rover. I'll update my blog tomorrow but isn't the road south of San Quinton fantastic.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #1387
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdora View Post
Safe travels.
Good luck.
Thanks Akdora rubber side down always.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #1388
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We had short few hour drive down the coast to San Quintin a small fishing village not far from the coast in a nice protect bay area. The hotel itself is about 4 or 5 k's of the main drag and dirt road its not to bad a little rough and a few soft sandy sections but I had read on tripadvisor in one person's review that she had driven off road in baja for 10 years and the only time she had ever been stuck was on this road, seriously lady tarmac cant be considered off road seriously I ant see how you cod ever get stuck on this road.

We arrived at the Old Mill Hotel and were given a friendly welcome and offered a beer but I just wanted to lie down and have e a rest, for some reason I was tired after such a shortish ride today of 3 hours, maybe it was the concentration I needed, it was a little bit of dodgem cars out there today, at one point I had a truck overtake me and then straight past two cars going down hill flat chat, it gives you a litte insight to what was going on riding today, it was trucks and cars flying everywhere and me trying to be a citizen, yes believe it or not. All I've heard is the horror stories of the corrupt cops down here so I'm trying to make a point of being somewhat civil on the road. The speed limits are slow 80 down to 40 in so many sections with speed humps everywhere. I'm also aware of the standard of the cars and wary of any oil that maybe on the roads in these types of places.

Obviously the road rules arent strictly enforced if at all, there is so many wreck of cars flying around on the road im sure the road toll must be pretty high here without even knowing what it is, if it is like this on the mainland in a city of 20 million they must be dropping like flies, serioulsy though the standard of sme fo the cars ive seen on the road here make South Africn vehicle's look like luxury limousine's.

We relaxed for a hour or so then went up the little marcado and got some extra credit for out Mexican sim card so we at least have access to internet when we need it then it was back to the hotel to relax and have a chat to the crew of American guys who had travelled down from Santa Barbara for a week of fishing. Dan and his mates were really friendly an obviously had spent some time in Mexico from there look im guessing they were of Mexican decent and they gave us some great tips for when we get over to the mainland.

After awhile we headed out the hotel to the restaurant for dinner its a nice little set up pretty quiet but the meal was really nice. Ev ordered the Seafoo soup which in the end I had a fair bit of and gave her my salad that came with my fillet steak all the bread we could eat as well for about 20 bucks just bootiful.

Headed back to the room and had a bit more of a chat to the boys I actually had a few cigarettes today while I was having a beer with the boys my first in about 3 weeks, I don't know why I haven't smoked just havent felt like it, its how I used to be with my ciggie smoking so its good to be sort of quitting without even trying.

We aren't going to hang around here its really quiet even f there is a beautiful girl working Zepeda in the local shop just outside the hotel ahhhhhh back in the good ol days when i was a single dude cruising the world looking for trouble now im jsut a a off the market has been with a whinging nagging missus I hope Ev doesnt read my blog shhhh dont tell her.

It's actually a lot like Africa here other than the shops have a nice lick of paint on them here, they just don't understand the word maintenance in Africa.

Home sweet home here in San Quintin at the Old Mill Hotel

The restaurant next door.

Pretty little local lass Zepeda in the little museum next door

Go figure the Old Mill Hotel used to be an old mill.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 09:53 PM
Old 10-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #1389
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We left San Quintin and headed south, the ride was fantastic if you are looking for a great ride a few k's south of San Quintin you are on a 300 + k ride through some simply beautiful landscapes full of cactus, mountains of boulders, desert plains and beautiful hillsides, what a ride. I wont jibber on an I'll just post pics of the day as all we did was ride, what a great day, oh if you are coming this way make sure you get petrol at El Rosario there is none for another 338k's, of course there is a few guys selling bottle fuel out of cans along the way so if you miss it you should be ok but they certainly aren't everywhere out there.

If you ever have any problems down here you could always drop in a see the Doc, umm then again maybe you will just cruise along the road until you come along the next one.

First military check point you would think they might put up a tougher sign than something that looks like a character out of South Park.

Now just a few pics of the landscape of the days ride.

The red flowers were so bright the desert after rain is always so beautiful

An oasis in the desert, I don't know do they call this desert out here if they don't they probably could.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 11:09 PM
Old 10-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #1390
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We came across this Canadian guy heading down to South America with two flat tires no tools, no puncture repair kit, no pump, hardly any water left, I always thought the guys that rode pushbikes around the world had a few screws loose some just more than others

We stopped for a chat checking the map on the phone to see where the next town was and luckily for him it was only about 5 k's away so we broke out the compressor and pumped up his tires and set him on his way and had a break and waited for awhile to see how he went with the tires.

After about 10 minutes we hopped back on the bike and headed up the road to find him with tires going down again so we pulled off the hwy and broke out the compressor for the second time and pumped both tires up as hard as we dare and set him on his way, I gave him a puncture repair kit, a screw driver to help if he needed it to get his tire off, filled up his water bottles with our emergency water we always carry when we are going into the desert and some biscuits. After we left him I thought to myself why did I give him that srew driver it has come with me all around the world and I just casted it aside as if it meant nothing to me and rode off without even a thanks for the help along the way

I said to Ewa later how would you feel if I did that to you, just gave you away to a stranger with not second thought whose probably just going to use you and cast you aside as soon as I turn my back and ride off into the sunset, my screw driver is probably hating me right now in some remote garage in the backwoods of Mexico or even worse in the desert all alone waiting to be swallowed up by the terrain, I'm a bad man.

He asked how can say thank you so I just said do something nice for someone else along the way and keep the world going in the right direction, I forgot to say do two nice things for people that way it multiplies over and over and soon enough you have people doing nice things for a stranger somewhere totally random just because some ugly dude got on in the dirt in the desert of Mexico and pumped up some ones tires up, anyway he got off with one I was thinking I could actually claim that he do 4 nice things to help some one as I actually stopped and helped him twice. The old saying "it might be just a drop in the ocean but without every drop that ocean will never be filled," every little bit helps doesn't it. That was my good deed for the day. But he has a long journey ahead of him and by the sounds of things he has had a bit of a tough time of it with things stolen and a few others not go his way.

So off we went to we had another 250k's to go ourselves to get where we were going so I couldn't hang around all day worrying about him.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #1391
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We took a break from the tarmac for awhile I just love riding in this desert plain areas its so relaxing, some might say boring but I love that feeling of freedom that you get when you are in these types of places. Broke out the camera, doesn't my baby look good sitting there with the sun shining down on her.

Oh I'm getting excited might have to get a big bed tonight might be into some snuggle time with my Remus exhaust hey can you blame me look at her. Poor Eva the couch again.

Arrived in Guerro Negro late in the afternoon and rode up the main drag this is one of the best places in the world to go whale watching so there is plenty of hotels around, nothing to flash mind you but comfortable enough and good value at 35 bucks US. What an amazing days riding.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 11:22 PM
Old 10-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #1392
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Old 10-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #1393
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ewa making new little friends along the way, just don't get any ideas sweetchops

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 11:38 PM
Old 10-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #1394
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Local transport here in Baja.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #1395
mettalique
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
So are those hats in the museum genuine Mexican hats?
Nice photos, still a great read guys, enjoying your journey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mettalique is offline   Reply With Quote