Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #1411
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettalique View Post
Hey nice reports Sheldon, the terracotta house looked awesome and some of the scenery quite special....especially hotel Perla
But btw there weren't quite enough candles on the cake me thinks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cheers Mettalique and there wouldn't of been enough room for all the candles I need, it's all down hill from here to South America as well.
rideforsmiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #1412
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Cheers Mories thanks for following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauriceke666 View Post
happy birthday and an other year on the road....

safe miles and kilometers...

Mories
Old 10-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #1413
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Today we got up and decided we were going to leave La Paz but since Doug hadnt had any luck in seeing any other then the baby whale shark we thought we would give it another try so we walked down after breakfast and found a captain and away we went. We werent out there long and we found a whale shark and it was a pretty good size, we jumped straight in but unfortunaly this guys equipment sucked big time and my snorkel and goggles were shit so I couldnt see anything, fortunately Doug followed the shark for quite awhile why I just jumped back in the boat. I wasnt to disapointed in missing it as I had such a amazing experience the other day. As quick as it came it went into deeper waters so we looked for more with no luck and headed back in. Oh well it was a bit of a let down this time but they are wild creatures they aren't sitting out there waiting for us to come along.

Ev trying her hand at being a captain, at one point Ev just up and walked away from the helm she said later she thought it would just have automatic pilot oh my friggin gawd and you guys she should be on her own bike I guess if I want to get rid of her in some remote hospital I might do that.

Checking out of the hotel motorcycle rider style

We arrived back in town and headed off to finish packing the bike and then met up about an hour later and we were on the road south. We rode about 40 k's until we got to the turn off for the off road section we planned on taking. We stopped and had a chat and decided go get some water and a few biscuits as we have nothing and you just never know when you go off road just how long it is going to be, in the end it turned out to be a wise decision. After grabbing a drink and a few snacks we headed back to the dirt road turnoff and off we went.

The first few k's was ok no problems at all but then it started to go up the hill, at first it was ok and I was thinking to myself this is good no problems, then it started getting steeper and steeper and rockier and rockier until at one point being two up I stalled the bike, ok I've been meaning to fix my back brakes for awhile but if you have ever tried to stop a bike from sliding back down a hill fully kitted with your girlfriend on the back its not the easiest task and low and behold over she went. I was trying to hold it up as I tried to spin it across the hill but no luck and as we tipped over Ev got her legged pinned between the ground and the bike, she was screaming my legs trapped my legs trapped it was obvioulsy hurting her and it would, the bike is nearly 300kg with everything on it, so I had to muster all my strength to pick it back up a little and she squeezed her leg out. Not one complaint from here she realised how difficult it was riding up the hill let along two up so off she trudged and I rode it up solo.

As we got up around the bend of the next section we came across Doug who had gone first and had just gone out of sight, I think he got mixed up when I said keep the rubber side down to him, this isnt a position you see a GS1200 to often. Luckily he was ok so when Ev came trudging up the hill a few seconds later we all just stood around admiring his handiwork of getting it where he had.

Well after a little while admiring his skilled effort now it was time to right it and get it going again so we all grabbed a part of the bike and manouvre it back down and then picked it up, you know these things aren't light so it took us some work and although wasnt stifling hot it was still 33 degrees celcius so it made it tough work.

We righted Doug's bke and had a look up the track and it was getting worse and worse as it went up so we decided to just bypass this mountain, bloody pussies I know but hey ok you go up that hill on a F800 fully kitted with no back brakes let along Doug's 1200 and then tell me how you went. So we headed back down and went back to the little store to get a drink and rethink our stratagy and not long after we were heading back down the road. In the end the tarmac road we chose was really nice riding and probably as much fun as tipping a 1200 upside down or trapping your girlfriends leg under a F800 so all good.

We eventually arrived where we could get back off road on the other side of the hill and ok deep soft sand. Look the F800 has a 21 inch front wheel which makes it a hell of a lot better in this stuff than the 1200 with its 19 inch front wheel, one of the actual reason why I chose the F800, so here we are cruising along Doug behind me and Ev and I look back and Doug's down again.

We jumped off and walk back to help him pick the beast up and he is trying to do it all himself I'm shouting at him just wait mate and at the same time shouting at Eva take bloody pictures of him on the deck quickly. We arrive and Doug's just getting the bike up so ok. We jump on the bikes again after a little breather and this time he goes in front to try a different approach and a little bit more speed. Not far up the road down he comes again in the deep sand. This time we come up behind him and help him get it up these big beasty 1200's you can usually be safe to say you can get them up once or twice but after that its going to be hard work and with me and Ev there why strain yourself.

So hes up and at it again and a k up the road over again and again we come up behind him and help pick the bike up, its really is difficult the deep sand he is trying slow, fast medium and not having any luck. We think maybe its time to call it quits on this section as well so I dump Ewa off and ride ahead to see what the road is like. I get a little ways up the road and see that it is sort of ok so we decide to push on and see how we go.

Third times a charm well fourth time if you count the upside manouver. Until you get a GS1200 and ride the roads we did today don't be to critical, it really was a tough technical day's riding and it was more good luck than skill I didn't have a few myself today.

In the end the road was ok further on with some loose sandy sections I nerly came down a few times but im being careful with Ev on the back, careful is my excuse for being soft but hey its better than being on the deck, I've had to pick this thing up to a few times and it ain't no toy either.

We rode for about another 2 hours and right on dark we arrived in the little town of Cabo Pulmo inside the marine reserve here on the coast of Baja. We found a place to sleep a little expensive but really nice bungalow, we did want to camp but apparently they say you arent allowed too just here and we werent riding 10 miles firther today right on darkto find out. There is a few joints down here with expats living in them with a few other tourists maybe 15 or 20 people floating around so not packed by any means. We sat down and got a beer before we even thought about going and unpacking the bikes, it had been a long hot trying day so a few beers and a nice dinner we were ready to walk to our little bungalow and relax.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 08:52 PM
Old 10-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #1414
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Today we just had a day off Doug wasnt feeling the best so his diving he wanted to do around here wasnt on which was a shame but we had a really nice walk. The rock formations around here on the beach are quite amazing I dont know how they were formed its like a layer of pebbles that have been concreted together but it's all natural. I stopped on the way back to talk to a few yanks and they said they came down here with a geologist friend once and he said he didnt even knwo so they arent common thats for sure.

After a really relaxing day we headed down to the restaurant on the water front for dinner and I had the most amazing dinner, fish with a white sauce and vegies, the food here in Mexico everywhere we have eaten is absolutely top shelf they certainly must watch a lot of masterchef or something cause they surely can cook. My dnner was about 14 bucks Ev had Chcken snitzel so I was into that as well, come on it is my fav after all, I just didnt see it on the menu as I didnt have my glasses on . Doug headed back to the bungalow to relax he was feeling pretty crappy still so me and Ev hung around on the beach and watched the nearly full moon come up over the horizon ahhhhhh the romantic side of me again.

Ill add some pictures here soon they are still on the camera.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 09:25 PM
Old 10-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #1415
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Me and Ev had a nice relaxing day again but Doug had decided to push on as he was on a bit of a time frame he has to be back at work on the 31st and it really is nice aroudn here so it wasnt ahard decision for us to jsut say our goodbyes and wave him off. So we jsut went for a walk I caught yup on some blogging and Ev wet down and sunbaked on the beach all really nice, it really is beautful down here in Baja. We went and had dinner at the ocean front restaurant it must of been a different cook the portions were bigger bit the food wasnt as good oh well it was still pretty nice.

After dinner I got on the computer only to recive an email from Doug he has had another off but this time he has broken his leg. He was picked up off the road by a fellow American from Colorado and taken to a hotel where they called an ambulance and transported him to San Jose del Cabo.

We will be leaving here first thing in the morning to see if there is anything at all we can do to help obviously taking care not to end up in the same position he is. We could always ride back a little way and go via the tarmac but we came here to ride off road so we will continue on the dirt road we chose just taking a little extra care.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #1416
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We arrived in San Jose del Cabo and went straight around to see Doug in St Lukes medical centre, he was ok he has broken his tibia right through, its a good break. His dad has flown down and was with him when we arrived and they have organised for him to fly back to the states tomorrow morning Friday 25th to have surgery in the afternoon.

In doing that though the bike will be left here, at the moment it is with the guys who picked him up they had been on their own motorcycle adventure earlier but when they came across Doug they were in a car doing some surfing so they will be riding it into San Jose del Cabo tomorrow and putting it at some guys house where I will go and try and sort soemthing out with it, hopefully it is ok to stay there but if it isnt does anyone out here in Advrider world or the motorcycle community in general know of any friends where we might be able to leave the bike down in southern Baja for a month or two till Doug recovers enough to come and get it or even if there is anyone out there that would like to ride a GS 1200 home from Southern Baja to California.

Are you sure you need to hit that button again Doug ahhh what the hell go for it man.

Now it's time for my fun what does this button do.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 10:26 PM
Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #1417
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We left Doug in hospital and went in search of a hotel for the night, as we rode down the road Ev saw a hotel and as we pulled up about 10 girls came walking out in bikinis, ummm we can stay here honey I say, its very expensive Sheldon, money is no object tonight honey I want to spoil you my darling you deserve it.

Come on Ewa this is no time to lie down, the bike isn't going to unpack itself you know I've got hot chicks to perve on up the road.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 12:31 AM
Old 10-25-2013, 01:40 AM   #1418
Blue Icebreaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Still enjoying your RR! Ahhh too bad you haven't got any whale pics this is one of my dreams also, whale watching!

I have an F800GS too, better than 650 and definitely than the heavy 1200! I hope Doug recovers soon and keeps on riding!

As for the last photos... did you walk in the middle of a bunch of sexy ladies doing a photo shoot or have you conviced a bunch oh sexy ladies to do a photo shoot just for you??? Way to go!
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. Morihei Ueshiba

Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #1419
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Hey Blue did you see the video on the previous page of my blog diving with the whale sharks.
The full on whale watching season starts in a few months here and is apparently amazing. As for the chicks putting a show on for me no they were doing a swimsuit shoot but I still enjoyed it and did talk to a few of the girls and crew it was for an online fashion store in the states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Icebreaker View Post
Still enjoying your RR! Ahhh too bad you haven't got any whale pics this is one of my dreams also, whale watching!

I have an F800GS too, better than 650 and definitely than the heavy 1200! I hope Doug recovers soon and keeps on riding!

As for the last photos... did you walk in the middle of a bunch of sexy ladies doing a photo shoot or have you conviced a bunch oh sexy ladies to do a photo shoot just for you??? Way to go!

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 10:49 AM
Old 10-26-2013, 03:21 AM   #1420
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Today it was 6 years ago I was in my accident so I have gone from my death bed

To this bed, I know which one I prefer mmmmm San Jose del Cabo Baja Mexico, paradise. I'm certainly enjoying the second chance I was gifted with but this just cant keep going on, I might have to come home and get a fulltime job, yeah right whatever, move over Ev.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 09:10 AM
Old 10-26-2013, 03:25 AM   #1421
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

You might actually find something like this in heaven, but it's unlikely I'll ever get the chance to see it there so Baja Mexico it is for me.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 09:25 AM
Old 10-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #1422
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

My son pasted this in Facebook about the video above.

Jared Thomson: being in a place like that doesn't it sometimes make you think.. maybe you are dead? you are living a dream to be fair

I replied

"That was said to me in south Africa along time ago, I was watching the wallabies smash the springboks in a test match and had an absolutely beautiful blonde girl with me and one of the guys said do you realize you might of died in that accident and be in heaven and not know it, I said the only thing wrong with that theory is if you think I'm a chance to go to heaven then your sillier than you look"

Sometimes you have to wonder though, I always remember a guy I met ages ago in a little grocery store in the deserts of South Africa near the Namibian border. He was from Denmark originally and had been a deep sea diver on oil rigs but had found this little piece of in his eyes, paradise. With a river for his fishing and sand dunes for his motorbikes he said living here with his wife and kids was his own little piece of heaven, in the absolute middle of nowhere, we all have these places in our life, they are sometimes right in front of us, whether it is family friends or a place somewhere else its there, sometimes you just have to slow down a little to see it.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 03:42 PM
Old 10-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #1423
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforsmiles View Post
You might actually find something like this in heaven, but it's unlikely I'll ever get the chance to see it there so Baja Mexico it is for me.

I enjoy your RR, thanks for sharing, I was right there on that same beach in 1973, no hotels, no nothing just 6 palapas,and some fun surf, much better then, but all of Baja was then
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #1424
mettalique
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
we all have these places in our life, they are sometimes right in front of us, whether it is family friends or a place somewhere else its there, sometimes you just have to slow down a little to see it.[/QUOTE]

Oh mate....I so agree
with age comes wisdom
mettalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #1425
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Hey Greg it must of been beautiful back in those days but I can tell you its still not bad, I think I'll just soak it n for a few more days around here and realistically its still pretty cheap I stayed in shitty hotels in the western world for more.