Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #1426
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 2,151
Since I just got the news from Henning who was travelling around on the world on his bike that his Kenyan girlfriend is now pregnant and his trip is finishing and I'm on my way to Mike's wedding who I met riding in Africa I thought I'd share this with you all.

rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #1427
Cameleer
Worldcrzer

Oddometer: 92
Well Sheldon I'm glad you finally made it over to my country and are enjoying Baja. Tijuana is not representative of the rest of the country so you can expect a lot better.
Don't know if you have a sort-of-planned route but if I can help you with general info please let me know. From a security point of view, just try to avoid riding at night and I would stay clear of the Northeast, anywhere east of Monterrey. The rest should be fine.
You have a place to stay in Acapulco with my family if you happen to go that way, just be warned they will feed you to death.
Enjoy and happy rides, Kiko
Old 10-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #1428
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Hey Kiko it's nice to hear form you mate. We are loving Mexico and Baja, even Tijuana it just took a few days to settle in after being in Europe and the States for so long, we didn't feel unsafe or unwelcome whatsoever and everyone we had to the good fortune to meet made us both feel very welcome and were more than helpful.

We are looking forward to getting over to the mainland to Mazatlan and riding the Devil's Spine east of the city, we have talked about going to the port north and riding into Copper Canyon and that is still a possibility. From there we are heading to San Miguel De Allende for my mate Mikes wedding on the 19th of November and from there we are heading to Mexico City and over to the Yucatan peninsula for all the history over there, We will enter Belize there and onwards to Central America so it's looking Acapulco might be out this time around.

I very rarely ride at night and have only done it a few times in my whole trip generally as a rule because I like to have somewhere to sleep organized before it gets dark but even when we are somewhere it makes sense to be settled and not on the bike.

My thinking in regards to personal safety is that even the bad guys out there have friends and can be friendly and with me coming from so far out of the loop I'm backing that they will be friendly to us as well. I say to everyone when Ev is around that if someone pulls a gun on me all I have to do is to get past them as I'll have her behind me so I'll have a bullet proof vest in a sense, any wound I receive ill just be ale to duct tape it up and continue on, that's got to make her feel more secure doesn't it.

I hope you and your family are all good mate and your getting plenty of time to ride n your time off.

Take care mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Well Sheldon I'm glad you finally made it over to my country and are enjoying Baja. Tijuana is not representative of the rest of the country so you can expect a lot better.
Don't know if you have a sort-of-planned route but if I can help you with general info please let me know. From a security point of view, just try to avoid riding at night and I would stay clear of the Northeast, anywhere east of Monterrey. The rest should be fine.
You have a place to stay in Acapulco with my family if you happen to go that way, just be warned they will feed you to death.
Enjoy and happy rides, Kiko
Old 10-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #1429
Maggno
Ride hard...

Oddometer: 273
Nothin beats spending a whole day reading a fantastic RR. Thanks
20 Parties and 132 days around the world
Maggno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #1430
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Cheers Maggno, Thanks for following its certainly been a fun ride, Im just going through http://worldmotorally.com/rally-info/work/ site looks likes an amazing and tough ride, better get fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggno View Post
Nothin beats spending a whole day reading a fantastic RR. Thanks
Old 10-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #1431
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oh baby look at you sitting on the bed all sexy like, I'm going to take you places you have never been before......as soon as Eva gets her grubby little mits of you we're hitting Google ahhhh my little Acer princess.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:08 AM   #1432
Mosanator
DR dropper!

Oddometer: 31
One word - A"bloody"mazing.

Whilst it was a pretty tough way to have it happen, and you haven't died and gone to Heaven (whoever thought that hasn't been reading this report), you certainly have been touched on the head by a bloody good luck fairy since that accident - more power to you and Ev.
Mosanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #1433
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Cheers Mosanator, it certainly is interesting, a few times in the last few weeks here in Baja I seriously have thought, shit maybe I am in heaven, its the weirdest sensation. We have just had such an amazing part of the adventure with fantastic people we just bonded with so quickly, the amazing riding and to top it off the environment and scenery it really has been an special month here and for me personally to have met such top chick to share it with like Ev is just the icing on the cake, she's a dead set trooper and beautiful to boot.

While we were in the supermarket the other day here in Cabo St Lucas I saw this guy chatting up a very nice looking woman and as she was handing her card to him I walked past and said while your handing out cards for dates I'll have one as well and you come out with me and Ev and have fun and last night that's exactly what we did, imagine trying to do that at home you probably be in the spare bedroom for a month. So here I was an run down hack with two stunningly beautiful women on my arm hitting the town, dinner drinks and dancing, ok I didn't hit the dance floor but I enjoyed watching Ev and Tina dancing together (yes another Tina), I should of run up to the dj and requested Lets Get It On by Barry White right there and then though I'm not sure how the house version of that song sounds.

We both loved listening to Tina's stories of this area which she has lived in for 18 years and how it has changed, she certainly has enjoyed an amazing journey through life which has taken her from Canada to Mexico to movie sets in Hollywood. I just love hearing other peoples adventures we all have them, mine is just on a motorbike. That's one of the great parts of being on an adventure like we are, people seem to just open up and share their adventure stories straight up which is always great.

We leave here tomorrow, Tina has invited us to some place up the coast on our way to La Paz and mainland Mexico which sounds nice.
Thanks for following mate

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosanator View Post
One word - A"bloody"mazing.

Whilst it was a pretty tough way to have it happen, and you haven't died and gone to Heaven (whoever thought that hasn't been reading this report), you certainly have been touched on the head by a bloody good luck fairy since that accident - more power to you and Ev.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 11-03-2013 at 04:53 PM
Old 11-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #1434
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Cabo St Lucas Marina

Hey baby how about I rattle your bones....and mine.

Two can play at that game Ev I can find myself a woman just like that. Ok she might not be top shelf but oh well times are tough.

We left Cabo St Lucas it was a beautiful town pretty touristy not really my cup of tea but it reminded me of the Gold Coast back home with the big marina and all the boats and restaurants along the waterfront. The night club scene is pretty full on and if your into partying im sure you would have a ball here. Me and Ev had a few nights out but really just cruised around town and took it ll in and relaxed with walks along the waterfront, oh you big poof harden up and get some piss into you, Oh gawd its one of the sacrifices Ive had to make to keep the peace give me a break.
The ride from Cabo St Lucas back to La Paz along the hwy 19 is pretty good up through Todas Santos the home of the original Hotel California which the Eagles made famous, it was a quietish town dont come here if you like to party you wil be back in Cabo pretty quickly but it looked like a nice enough all the same. We didnt stay long as I was enjoying the ride on the open highway it was nice to be riding again. We had spent a bit fo time cleaning the bike and giving her a bit of a going over in Cabo St Lucas, Ev had been great getting the toothbrush out and scrubbing the out of the way spots, my baby working my baby with little implement's mmmmm get your mind of the gutter geeez it was all innocent cleaning.

We left Todas Santos after a look around and hit the highway again, it was only about 70 k's to La Paz from there and all new highway so not problems at all. At one point we came across this guy with a flat tyre on his motorbike crusing along wiggling all over the place so we stopped to see if we could be of any help. I pulled out the can of gassy stuff to see if that might help but when I got to his bike and looked at his tyre it was finished it was going to take any air gas or anything else to keep it up, he had obvioulsy ridden it a fair way to where we were. We did what we could and cable tied the tyre to the rim and set him on his way, it seem to work as he was going a hell of a lot faster when we caught him up and the tyre seem to be holding alot better than before. As we caught up to him he was just pulling off the highway to home or a friends obvioulsy so with a honk of the horn and a wave back from him he was safely where he needed to be.

We continued on to LA Paz and went straight to the computer shop to suss out if the computer that we dropped in the other week was ready, he had installed windows 7 but couldnt find the wifi drivers for this computer anywhere, probably cause it was a pretty new pc and had windwos 8 on it and maybe they just didnt have them for windows seven and only new machine who knows. We old him to install windows 8 and be done with it. We headed down the hotel where we stayed the other week it was easy we didnt have to unpack the bike as it was parked in the foyer so all good. !0 minutes after arriivng we were on the bed and I was getting a massage, hey it was along hard ride today like 3 hours of rough 2 lane dual carriage way highway.

We went out and just grabbed a burger for dinner and headed back to do some research on where we were actually going as we still hadnt made any decsion on whether it was topolompland or Mazaltan, in the end we decided as we hadnt booked a ferry we would just go down to baja ferries in the morning suss out which ferry we could get on and thats where we would go.

After a really relaxing time here in southern Baja tomorrow we are off to mainland Mexico. There are two ferries running tomorrow one to tompolompaland or whatever its called which will take us to Copper Canyon and one 500k's south to Mazaltan where will ride east on the Devils Spine apparently both fantastic rides, we will work that decision out tomorrow as we have nothing booked we are just going to turn up and which ever ferry lets us on first thats where we will go, whichever way it takes us tomorrow should be amazing we are both really looking forward to it, well me more than Ev. I was faking a pain in my chest tonight and joked as long as I dont have a turn and pass out while we are riding along the cliff face we will be sweet. To top it off I made the noise as if we were falling and hitting the ground then pretended like I was shouting over the cliff "are you ok Eva ill get some help" she had a sheepish look on her face like she wasnt so sure, poor darling

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 10:11 PM
Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #1435
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

And the winner is Tompolompoland and the Copper Canyon. Dont worry about me riding in all my safety gear I can just jump off it's Ev you should be worried about careening down the highway on an unmaned out of control motorbike.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #1436
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

So we had a few things to do today beofre we left firstly was go up to Baja ferries and see exactly we were going then head up and get the other computer. The guy had amost finished it so we only had to wait about 20 minutes it gave Ev a chance to practice some of her Spanish talking to him. After saying our goodbyes to him we headed back into town to post Dougs paperwork for his bike lets hope that arrives, apparenty its a not garunteed but oh well we can only try i think by looking at it his ownership papers were copies but his rego papers were originals so hoping they arent to hard to repalce if they do get lost.

Ev had a chat to the guy fixing the computer, her Spanish is really improving already to the point that she can have a semi decent conversation.

We hit the handybank to grab some cash and then it off to the ferry stopping off along the way to check out a spot where a new development was going on which I loved the look of, the blocks of land are ony 113 thousand for a 1000 square metres so pretty big blocks and in my eyes dirt cheap really considering the views they had overlooking the Sea of Cortez.

La Paz

Stopped and had a chat to this group of riders from Mexico City before hitting the road to the ferry.

Just a few random shots of downtown La Paz

The beaches on the way out to the ferry were worth one more stop for a look and a picture, it really is beautiful around here.

We arrived at the ferry terminal and were straight in, the guy at the gate checked our tempory import paper, Ev pushed the button to see if we were one of the random searches and fortunalty we gpt the all clear and away we went into the loading area. One more entry gate where we had to pay a few bucks port entry and then it was lineup with the rest. While we were in line a guy Craig on a Gs 1200 from Costa Rica came up for a chat he saw me ride straight to the front of the line. He was riding down from Oregon with a few mates.

Ewa making new friends as we wait for the ferry.

Ev had to walk onto the ferry and I rode on and parked the bike downstairs and caught up with the guys and had a good chat as we parked and got the bikes sorted. We all headed up stairs and Ev was already on, we all went down and found some comfy chairs to call home for the 7 hour ride. Dinner was included in the ticket but its pretty much shit food but edible, just, but it filled a hole. Ben one of the crew is moving back home to Coast Rica after living in the states for 8 or 9 years, we had a great chat for a few hours out on the deck as we sailed away from baja. Ev was inside relaxing having a nap and listening to the truck drivers kareoke, oh she was telling me she was having a nap I reckon she had eyes for some fo those fat old geezers shes got an illness you know.

When we get off here in an hour or two we are heading into Los Mochis to find a hotel. The boys are going to get on the train in the morning but me and Ev want to see if we can get the bike on the train up into Copper Canyon so we can ride one way and train it the other, apparently the train ride is one of the most amazing in the world and all the reports we have heard about it are all positive, we would love to ride one way or the other but maybe we wll take the train up and back we will see.

Well after a great time hanging around in southern baja the day had come to hit the road or the high seas to mainland Mexico, as I was riding out to the ferry I was thiking to myself about how much I'll miss La paz and Baja it has been a fantastic time and part of the adventure, the funny thing after getting on the ferry Ev said the exact same thing that she felt sad to be leaving here like she did when we left Morocco, some places touch you and Baja Mexico certainly hs touched us both we have had an amazing time here. If you are ever contemplating coming for a ride or visit to this part of the world I would highly recomend it and pretty much garuntee you would leave with the same fond memories we have. The riding and meeting up with the Dutch crew and Doug from the US and everyone else we had the good fortune to meet up with along the way. The great night we had in Cabo St Lucas with Tina, man there is some gorgeous women here not that I was looking to hard with Ev with me and when we went out two gorgous chicks on my arm, to the relaxing time we had in the Belair Resort meeting great people like Jorje and the breif meeting we had with Annabelle in La Paz it has left us with such great memories. if the rest of Mexico leaves us like the first part has I'm sure Mexico will be jumping pretty high up the list of favorite countries if not the top, then again I might get shot in a drug war yet that might put it down the list a bit but I just have to remember to be past anyone with a gun ahhhh my little polish bullet proof vest she's a darling.

The ferry leaving La Paz

Arriving in Topolobampo

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 10:46 PM
Old 11-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #1437
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We found a hotel last night on booking.com and Ben, Brett and Craig followed us into Los Mochis and that was us for the night, we did have to do the standard police check after we got off the ferry but as I was going first when the cop walked up to me I just said, Austrlalia Amigo little bit Espanyol gesturing little bit and pointed to th guys behind me and said Espanyol and gave him the thumbs up as he walked off to them. They checked Craigs bke he had gotten the button at La Paz too.

We left the cops behnd and on the way into town stopped off for some petrol and a bite to eat we were all pretty hungry the feed they gave us as part of our ticket earlier was pretty basic and crapola. We arrived in the hotel around 11 both me and Ev were really tired and ended up having a bit of an argument, she just forgot the three rules it seemed, Yes Sheldon, Yes Sheldon and Yes Sheldon looks like im going to have to home school her for awhile, I actually cant remember now what we were arguing about oh well it will come to me ill let you know what it was later in this update.

So back to today we got up the boys had left they were off to the train early early to go up into the Copper Canyon it leaves at 6am from Los Mochis so they were well and truely gone by the time I got up. Ben had decided that he was going to hit the road south by himself so I got up and had breakfast with him, Ev was still in the naughty room well ok she was asleep but you know what I mean. I thought of putting the pillow over her head but meh not this tme if I still cant rememebr what we were fighting about it would probably be a tad harsh. Ben hit the road Ev got up to say goodbye and get her women's toiletries out of the bike ahhhhh now its making sense

Me and Ev were in no hurry we were going to go down to the station to see about putting the bike on the train. We ended up leaving about 11. The station is only 10 minutes away i didnt know exactly know which way it was but knew it was south of the hotel so I knoew if I headed that way i would come to it eventually and then just pick a way and whala that was easy, see its not that hard to find your way around towns is it. We got to the station and went in and found a guy prety much straight away Ev is actually getting pretty good at her Spanish already she was making total sense and I heard Hola so she might come in handy yet, memo put that pillow down Sheldon. We worked out, well Ev worked out that the bike can only be put on the train here on Thursday and if we rode the bike up and wanted to come back on the train it might be able to come back on the train back on Sunday but only maybe if not Sunday it will be Thursday again, I guess thats freight day. I had wanted to ride up cause I wanted to go to the birthplace of Zorro in El Fuerto about 100k's up the road so that's what we did. We hit the road and took our time riding through Los Mochis having a look around it seems a nice town. The ride up was pretty much standard, the road nothing flash some nice scenery and a few waves from the locals once you got out of the city so ok.

We eventually arrived in El Fuerte after about an hour and 45 minutes, it is a quiet town not much happening here it sits on a river, dont ask me what its called google it if you need it, we rode straight into the historical part of town of course where else do you go the Centro. One thing I did notice there is a hell of a lot of heavily armed police and military guys hanging around walking the streets in their trucks etc maybe they have had some problems here with somebody but they'd want to have a lot of guns cause the cops were fully loaded and for a small town there were heaps.

We found a nice little museum up on the top of town whith some of the history of the palce it was only a buck to go in so we had a walk around looking at some of the local history it was ok nothing exceptional but interesting enough to keep us there for about 40 minutes, it dated back to the l700's so some good stuff to look at. We asked the girl at the desk if she knew wehere Zorro lived and she pointed us down the road, I said Zorro your Pappa and she laughed and said Si senore, see nothing wrong with my Spanish still tuning the chicks.

A few random pictures of El Fuerte

So off we went to the birth place of Zorro, we did think about staying there as it;s a hotel but it said it was haunted and from lookign at Ev's face when I asked her she wasnt to keen lol We hung aroun for awhile but then it was time to hit the road somewhere so we thought ok lets just go out and try the station and see if we can load the bike on from here, they did say we could only do it in Los Mochis but you never know till you ask. We took a ride around town waving and saying hola to everyone who was watching us. I would think they would get alot of bikers and tourists around here but maybe they dont we did seem to get alot of looks and ev had a few schoolgirls following her in the museum giggling away until she stopped to talk to them and tell them where we were from so maybe they dont get many tourists. As we were leaving to go to the station a truck loaded with cops pulled up beside us guns everywhere I just gave them hola and shouted out estacion and they all pointed at the road we needed to take, everyone seems friendly aroudn hre its a nice little town and trust me very secure

A few minutes out of town we arrive at the station its all shut up and from the low platform there would be no loading a bike from anywhere around here unless its picked up and I didnt see any ramps or cranes lieng around. We decided that we would ride back into Los Mochis as we know the bike can be put on the train manyana, (see im getting there) and taken up into the Copper Canyon then we can just ride back and not be worried if we cant get on Sundays train or at worse have to wait itll next Thursday. We hit the road and I realised it was actually just after 3pm so thought oh shit it will be closed when we get back, fortunatly for me as I pulled onto the highway two cop trucks flew past fully loaded with guys with their machine guns hanging out everywhere , cheers boys im following you, If the cops pull me over for speeding ill jsut say Polisi go this fast thumbs up, me go sama thumbs up twice and that will be it, sorry Mr Thomson on your way good sir. Anyway we were hooting along which was great through 40 zones at 120 and over 140 k's an hour at times. I know one of the guys in the back truck must of been keeping an eye on me under his balaclava, he had his machine gun pointed in my direction the whole time, big woop at this speed riding a bike shooting from a truck on a bumpy road it would be a million to on shot to hit me even if he did shoot at us. We rode in convoy like this for 70 k's it was great, went past one copper on the side of the road obviouly watching for speeding cars and I saw him pull out after I went past but pffft we were gone baby, me and my fully loaded mates.

We got a bit of traffic as we got back in Los Mochis as my mates had turned off a little ways back but we did the 95 odd k's in just on an hour and headed straight back up to the station, which was lucky as they were just finishing packing the train for tomorrows run, si sinore motorcycle to Creel Si senore all aboard senore, so we stripped off our motorcycle gear tied it all to the bike and I loaded it onto the train, i wasnt short of helpers they were all really nice guys I ended up tipping the two guys from this morning a few bucks each as well, so if anyone is interested in doing the copped canyon but wants to do the train ride as well one way it will cost you about 125 bucks, you could probably haggle with them as I got told 1300 pesos in the morning and then got charged 1500 but meh its only a few bucks and I got what i wanted and everyone was happy.

We had the bike all packed and then asked the guys to call us a taxi back into town but the guy I had tipped said no I will drive you in the truck ok that was nice of him and saved us a bit, as we piled in another guy came over and said that he is going that way and we can jump in his truck so all good we changed trucks and away we went. Seriously the people and country of Mexico is really very nice even the heavily armed cops are freindly, Im still to meet one of the cartel guys but im sure they are nice to. Viva Le Mexico ok I dont know what Viva Le means but hey it sounds like its woop woop Mexico.

The pictures are coming I'm uploading them now to my smug mug account its slooooooooooow internet, sorry though your going to have to wait till tomorrow now its 1130 pm and I got to leave here at 5 am in the morning it will be the first time I've been up that early for awhile and firstly I've got to go upstairs and face the angry beast she's going to attack me for sure, gawd here we go, wish me luck.

Ok a quick couple to keep you happy

Come on Zorro cut her friggin clothes off buddy

My baby off for her own ride into the Copper Canyon

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 11:06 PM
Old 11-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #1438
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ok the train ride was 9 hours with so many great sights to see, we enjoyed relaxing and taking it all in, here's just a few pics of the day.

The train left at 6am so we were up and at them early.

The fist section of the ride is standard stuff but here's my first view of the Copper Canyon. Shit it looks dangerous down there better not get to close to the edge.

Now here is some views of the actual train ride.

The train stopped at a viewpoint for awhile so we could have a look around.

The train guard about to get jumped.

No one was mucking around with this dude he looked like he meant business.

Back on the train for the last hour to Creel

Old 11-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #1439
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

When we packed the bike yesterday I had left all my motorcycle gear on the bike and stupidly left a few hundred dollars and my spare key in my jacket pocket but when we arrived I was pleasantly surprised not just to see the bike in the foyer but to see everything still there. So anyone considering jumping the train I'm pretty sure your gear is safe and sound left on the bike.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #1440
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We went for a walk around town and met up with this other couple who ended up being from Adelaide back home in Australia. We walked with them for awhile then headed back to their hotel for a few drinks, listening to their stories of their trip through America and Mexico was great.