Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #196
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,048
FWIW cy I like the shape of the pulleys in your picture better than EZ Pulls as I think its good to not be so fat where the caribiner attaches allowing it to pivot easier to the optional angle.

The exact number of the mechanical advantage is very dependant on how well the pulleys line up and aren't twisted.

Sent from my C5502 using Tapatalk
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #197
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,835
The original compact block and tackle system was really nice. Filled a need, and was very cool on top of it. A bit pricey, and I found them too late.

However, there are other options. I picked up one of these:

$15, and 1 ton capacity should be sufficient to haul a pig out of a hole.

Shipping weight is listed as 1.9 lbs, but I don't recall it being that heavy.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #198
jlw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
display of interest

Thanks for the many displays of interest. I'll certainly post here to update you all after I get word from the machinist.

To address the issue of resetting the dowel while the line is taut, perhaps after some experimenting there may be a way way to use a constrictor to prevent unwanted retrograde motion of the line . I understand that there may be difficulty using prussic hitches on such small amsteel.
jlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #199
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,421
lookie at what I scored for $2 at junk store .. aluminum miniature pulley system .. plenty strong enough to self rescue motorcycles. weight including rope is 8.8oz .. which can be reduced by using Dyneema or Spectra line. not sure there's enough difference to matter.

dollar bills shown for size comp
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #200
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw View Post
Thanks for the many displays of interest. I'll certainly post here to update you all after I get word from the machinist.

To address the issue of resetting the dowel while the line is taut, perhaps after some experimenting there may be a way way to use a constrictor to prevent unwanted retrograde motion of the line . I understand that there may be difficulty using prussic hitches on such small amsteel.
the only dependable termination knot for dyneema, spectra, amsteel .. recommended by all three rope mfg is triple fisherman

below is a few termination knots safe for lifelines .. triple fisherman is red/white

Old 03-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #201
danman
tumbling tumbleweed

Oddometer: 171
Hey Guys,

I came across this compact pulley system from Best Rest, its fairly compact, not as small as the original EZ pull. Looks like a good system except for the price.

Check it out for yourselves;

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-34...ystem-mrs.aspx

As others have said, you could source the parts yourself for a fraction of the money.
danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #202
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by danman View Post
Hey Guys,

I came across this compact pulley system from Best Rest, its fairly compact, not as small as the original EZ pull. Looks like a good system except for the price.

Check it out for yourselves;

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-34...ystem-mrs.aspx

As others have said, you could source the parts yourself for a fraction of the money.
Indeed, you have to love the mark-up involved in putting a kit together. even better is that there's already profit margin on the retail pricing of the components, so adding the additional profit of getting the pieces together and offering a kit is like icing on the cake.

Pulleys: $15 ea (Petzl Oscillante, 900lb working load), http://www.amazon.com/Petzl-Oscillan...4472719&sr=1-6

60 ft of 4mm double braid (1760lb breaking strength): $37.20, http://www.westmarine.com/fse-roblin...ot--P013586961

Add another 10ft of the 4mm for the anchor: $6.20

8mm cord is overkill for this application.

10ft of 2mm double braid (for prusiks): $2.10, also at West Marine

2ea 1/4" screw pin shackle (1000lb working load): $2.34 at Amazon

I'm at $80 (less than 50% of their price). Print out instructions on a C-pulley and a Z-pulley from any of the numerour places available on the web. You can get knot information out there too!

There we are, all set.

Some might ask why we don't need the high working strength offered by the 8mm cord. Looking at a typical large bore adventure bike or even a land yacht like the 1200 GSA, I'll estimate 573lbs fueled up. Playing with some calculations I get that on a 30 degree slope, it requires about 1.7kN (382lbs) of force to move the bike upslope. On a 45 degree slope, 2.16kN (485lbs). 60 degree slope, 2.5kN (562lbs). I would think that the components listed above offer enough safety margin to perform the work required to move the bike. Why increase the weight ans size of the system without need?

Am I missing something?

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #203
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

way over priced at $180 ..
Old 03-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #204
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
Indeed, you have to love the mark-up involved in putting a kit together. even better is that there's already profit margin on the retail pricing of the components, so adding the additional profit of getting the pieces together and offering a kit is like icing on the cake.

Pulleys: $15 ea (Petzl Oscillante, 900lb working load), http://www.amazon.com/Petzl-Oscillan...4472719&sr=1-6

60 ft of 4mm double braid (1760lb breaking strength): $37.20, http://www.westmarine.com/fse-roblin...ot--P013586961

Add another 10ft of the 4mm for the anchor: $6.20

8mm cord is overkill for this application.

10ft of 2mm double braid (for prusiks): $2.10, also at West Marine

2ea 1/4" screw pin shackle (1000lb working load): $2.34 at Amazon

I'm at $80 (less than 50% of their price). Print out instructions on a C-pulley and a Z-pulley from any of the numerour places available on the web. You can get knot information out there too!

There we are, all set.

Some might ask why we don't need the high working strength offered by the 8mm cord. Looking at a typical large bore adventure bike or even a land yacht like the 1200 GSA, I'll estimate 573lbs fueled up. Playing with some calculations I get that on a 30 degree slope, it requires about 1.7kN (382lbs) of force to move the bike upslope. On a 45 degree slope, 2.16kN (485lbs). 60 degree slope, 2.5kN (562lbs). I would think that the components listed above offer enough safety margin to perform the work required to move the bike. Why increase the weight ans size of the system without need?

Am I missing something?

- Ken
Thank you Ken for the great ideas! I've really been thinking about getting a pully system for my Beta when I do solo rides. For me, I think practicing with it at home first would be the best advice.
Chris
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #205
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticexchris View Post
Thank you Ken for the great ideas! I've really been thinking about getting a pully system for my Beta when I do solo rides. For me, I think practicing with it at home first would be the best advice.
Chris
Chris,

You coulprably move two Betas with the components I listed above, I haven't looked at the smaller shackles to see if their size is suitable, but you could go with smaller connections (as far as working load is concerned). It's really hard to go smaller on the cord. The original EZ-Pull used a spectra/dyneema tape, which doesn't lend itself to the use of prusicks.

Practicing your system before hand is the most important thing. When I was climbing in Washington, we never went out on the glacier without first rehearsing our C and Z pulleys and other group systems. Trying to learn how to do it when you need to use it is not the way to go...

Have fun,
Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #206
NeedForSpeed
PAK-MEISTER.COM

Oddometer: 1,271
The new Paracord based EZ Pull will be available early June. We will have something to see at the RA Rally later this month

NeedForSpeed screwed with this post 05-08-2014 at 03:45 PM
NeedForSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #207
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 666
awesome! I want one for elk season
SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #208
NeedForSpeed
PAK-MEISTER.COM

Oddometer: 1,271
The new Paracord based EZ Pull system (now called the Para-Pull) demo is finished. We will be posting up pictures/video and all the tech stuff early next week and will begin taking pre-orders.

stay tuned...
NeedForSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #209
tag346
Roaming Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed View Post
The new Paracord based EZ Pull system (now called the Para-Pull) demo is finished. We will be posting up pictures/video and all the tech stuff early next week and will begin taking pre-orders.

stay tuned...
Great was looking for components to put a system together for a trip I'm taking in July and stumbled across the thread. Look forward to the pics and pricing info.
tag346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #210
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
Chris,

You coulprably move two Betas with the components I listed above, I haven't looked at the smaller shackles to see if their size is suitable, but you could go with smaller connections (as far as working load is concerned). It's really hard to go smaller on the cord. The original EZ-Pull used a spectra/dyneema tape, which doesn't lend itself to the use of prusicks.

Practicing your system before hand is the most important thing. When I was climbing in Washington, we never went out on the glacier without first rehearsing our C and Z pulleys and other group systems. Trying to learn how to do it when you need to use it is not the way to go...

Have fun,
Ken
You obviously know what you are talking about, thanks. I've been piecing the kit together only on paper so far and was going to go with 8 mm static line, but smaller pack size would be nice. Do you have any concerns (fouling, slipping out of track, etc.) with the 4 mm size and these pulleys designed for 7-11 mm? Looks like the tolerance is so tight there shouldn't be a problem, correct?
thanks
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote