Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #31
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Put it dsomewhere else in the house and buy a plasma. Or donate it to the children's hospital and take a tax write off.....
The Hospice store got my old TV, damn near broke my back loading it up in my truck.

Night and day difference from old to new TV
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #32
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,621
Quote:
Remember though, SD looks like crap on a HD TV, especially a real good HDTV....
Of that I am well aware.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #33
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
So... very shortly... as in, in the next month or so... I am planning on buying a new TV... We have suffered long enough with our 27" CRT...

Plasmas sound like where it is at for watching movies... which is really what I care about for viewing... I don't watch sports or much TV and the room can be set up with good curtains (read hotel-room-black-out curtains) to block light for daytime viewing...

Any screaming deals that should be considered??... budget is sub $1200, size: 50-58 inches...

Also going to be looking for a good swiveling wall hanger for it... one that pull away from the wall a kind of turns a corner if that makes sense...

Any that should be avoided like the plague??

Most of my homework at this point is from Consumer Reports, though it seems like they spend WAY more energy reviewing LCD's...
Panasonic TC-P50ST30, awesome for the money. You'll thank me profusely if you do it. Oh and Ill tell you how to set it up perfectly for the movies.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #34
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,506
and about those cables...

I ran component (RGB) cable to my 52" Samsung LCD when I put it in 'cause my Onkyo Optima didn't switch HDMI. It looked great.

The new Pioneer Elite receiver switch's HDMI, but I'm still using the component cables. Picture looks like crap and HD content is letterboxed.

I 'thought' component and HDMI had about the same quality. Geek Squad says HDMI is always better. The interwebs are inconlusive.

Any thoughts from the assembled experts?
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #35
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,315
HDMI sends digital audio over it which is convenient... things like the Playstation3 only does 1080P in HDMI, not via Component...

I send my three HDMI source signals directly to my Sony LED and let it do the switching... then audio out back to my amp... no need to let the amp do the video switching any more... that's my helpful hint...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #36
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,399
Quote:
Panasonic TC-P50ST30, awesome for the money. You'll thank me profusely if you do it. Oh and Ill tell you how to set it up perfectly for the movies.

Funny...

The best price with bundled stuff is on Panasonic's site when you consider shipping is only $3.98

I'll let you know when it gets here...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #37
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Quote:
I have a TC-P50S2 - any advice on setting it up? I've just been using it as it shipped, which really isn't half bad (I'm not picky though ) but I'm sure there's room for improvement.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #38
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc View Post
and about those cables...

I ran component (RGB) cable to my 52" Samsung LCD when I put it in 'cause my Onkyo Optima didn't switch HDMI. It looked great.

The new Pioneer Elite receiver switch's HDMI, but I'm still using the component cables. Picture looks like crap and HD content is letterboxed.

I 'thought' component and HDMI had about the same quality. Geek Squad says HDMI is always better. The interwebs are inconlusive.

Any thoughts from the assembled experts?
Component analog is that, analog, and NOT full HD. HDMI is digital and Full HD, so is about 50% better picture and sound. MAJOR difference you would see and say something like WOW! When configured correctly.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #39
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
I have a TC-P50S2 - any advice on setting it up? I've just been using it as it shipped, which really isn't half bad (I'm not picky though ) but I'm sure there's room for improvement.
Ill consult my notes when I get home and let you know my settings.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #40
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post

Funny...

The best price with bundled stuff is on Panasonic's site when you consider shipping is only $3.98

I'll let you know when it gets here...
You'll be blwon away, plus it has the infinite black panel, no more banding in the dark shaded areas. And looks great in bright rooms as long as there isn't a window right in front of it.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #41
word1
I'm working on it...

Oddometer: 510
Tc-p42x3

OK Kev, I've been following this, and other TV threads, and now I'm looking for free advice

We have $500 'ish budgeted to upgrade our main TV.
As you can tell, TV isn't a huge priority for us - but it's time to upgrade our current HP LC2600N LCD unit.
We've also decided that a ~40" screen is about as large as we'd like in the room.

So, what do 'ya think about this Panasonic Vierra plasma: TC-P42X3 which I can get locally for ~ $480 ?

Our current video needs are very modest (we don't own a BluRay player, for example) - mostly HD TV via cable and the occasional DVD movie.

I've spent some time in the store with this unit, and I like the picture quality and user interface.

What say you?

_jay
If it breaks, Repair it.
Repeat.
word1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #42
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by word1 View Post
OK Kev, I've been following this, and other TV threads, and now I'm looking for free advice

We have $500 'ish budgeted to upgrade our main TV.
As you can tell, TV isn't a huge priority for us - but it's time to upgrade our current HP LC2600N LCD unit.
We've also decided that a ~40" screen is about as large as we'd like in the room.

So, what do 'ya think about this Panasonic Vierra plasma: TC-P42X3 which I can get locally for ~ $480 ?

Our current video needs are very modest (we don't own a BluRay player, for example) - mostly HD TV via cable and the occasional DVD movie.

I've spent some time in the store with this unit, and I like the picture quality and user interface.

What say you?

_jay
By far, the best unit you can get for that budget and size.....worlds better than ANY LCD in that size and they would be way more expensive.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #43
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,399
Quote:
Set up and running.... friggin sweet in a totally dark room... just watched Rango on Blue-Ray.... simply amazing picture.. the night scenes were gorgeous... and the colors & clarity all around are...well.... amazing.... already thinking I should have gotten a +60"... It's never enough... If it was a 60 I would want an 80"... so it doesn't really matter....

Hit me with your recommended settings and I'll plug them into one of the 'user programmed settings' presets...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #44
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,716
Just got the Panasonic TX-P42X3. Very nice. Sniper, could I get some setting suggestions, please?
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #45
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Remember though, SD looks like crap on a HD TV, especially a real good HDTV....
OK, you used the phrase up-conversion....

Will an SD Cable feed coming off of a set top box via component video cable look any better after being "upscaled" by a receiver with video signal processing capability? I could not get any clear answer on that one even after reading AVfourum until my eyes bled. I ended up purchasing a receiver that does up conversion, but not upscaling because it had all of the other features I was looking for, this was the only area in which I was fuzzy (pardon the pun).

Also, my STB (Motorola 6200?) has a DVI output and a component video. I can get a DVI/HDMI converter and plug into the receiver that way or use component. Is there likley to be a difference in picture between them? My logic says that an end to end digital signal is going to be better than a signal with 2 conversions on the way to the TV.

Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: