Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #61
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
Is there a reason I want a plasma more than an LED?

We plan to buy a big TV within the next year; in the area of 60 inches or bigger.
Plasmas still have the best blacks. Until they get the LCD sets to where they have a LED for each pixel, they probably won't get there. Big OLED displays will probably get here in place of that.

It just all comes down to what you watch, and when. Is the set in a room with lots of outside light? Do you only watch movies occasionally at night? Lots of variables. I've been really happy with a Sony XBR4 for a while now. If it crapped, I'd go with a higher series Samsung LED set. Friend of mine is really into the AV stuff, and he wants the Panasonic plasma in the worst way. Everyone likes different stuff. Only thing I can say, is that a big store like BestBuy is the worst place to check stuff out. Usually people have monkeyed with the settings a lot, and there is a lot of tuning that can go into this.

When I first got my XBR, I thought it looked good. I did some hunting online, avsforums mostly, and grabbed some settings from people that had had their sets professionally calibrated. My set went from great, to effin wow. You're never gonna know how it'll really look in the store.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #62
August West
Wharf Rat

Oddometer: 551
We ended up buying an LG 47LK520 LCD for $750 at Best Buy. We went over budget, opted for name brand and a higher price.
The room is too bright for s reflective screen.
August West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #63
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,220
Unless "they" do a total redesign of the whole LCD panel, it will never be able to either get blacks or motion like a plasma panel. Plus, because of it's design, it has more than just those problems. It can't have a protective glass cover over the LCD field or it would cook itself to death, it also is prone to yellowing because of this problem, and the backlights, even though now a lot are LED are still not as long lived as a plasma. The LCD design is a light transmitting device, which means by design, it transmits light generated by a backlight thru a set of (basically) a field of electronic shutters that close (as much as they can which is about 90%) to make as close to black as possible, and open as much as they can (95%) to allow white. As a result, those same shutters, are also slow to react in the timing for motion, so motion is not as good as a plasma and can never be since even totally overclocked, an LCD only operates at 240hz and a plasma is native 600hz.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #64
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Sure , Sniper X , am just about to need a new 47" tv for my living room and I have to read this thread . Our 47 is about 6 years old (was $1,800 new) and the picture is getting washed out and has some burn in damage from grandson pausing his video games . We have HD sat and even with top end cabling the picture has never been as good as I would like . Not sure what the power draw is , but it would have more effect on the generator than when the fridge starts . Also , if you layed it flat I think you could cook on it . About a year ago I bought an LED/LCD 19" for my office (Visio) and was totally blown away with the picture . HD is way more crisp than my plasma ever was . The picture almost looks 3-D and the colors are very nice . Of course the office only gets over the air digital in SD and HD . Most people do not know that over the air digital produces a better picture because it isn't compressed and uncompressed as in Sat or cable . Was shopping for a 47" LED/LCD . Now you have me re thinking about a new plasma , crap !
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #65
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp-Z View Post
Sure , Sniper X , am just about to need a new 47" tv for my living room and I have to read this thread . Our 47 is about 6 years old (was $1,800 new) and the picture is getting washed out and has some burn in damage from grandson pausing his video games . We have HD sat and even with top end cabling the picture has never been as good as I would like . Not sure what the power draw is , but it would have more effect on the generator than when the fridge starts . Also , if you layed it flat I think you could cook on it . About a year ago I bought an LED/LCD 19" for my office (Visio) and was totally blown away with the picture . HD is way more crisp than my plasma ever was . The picture almost looks 3-D and the colors are very nice . Of course the office only gets over the air digital in SD and HD . Most people do not know that over the air digital produces a better picture because it isn't compressed and uncompressed as in Sat or cable . Was shopping for a 47" LED/LCD . Now you have me re thinking about a new plasma , crap !
Plasma in the consumer market has ALMOST caught up with broadcast quality plasma of about two years ago. However, only the Panasonic plasmas have because they pioneered plasma when everyone else pointed at them and laughed, now they are the ones laughing. Noe of the other makers come close to Panasonic because of many factors, but mainly because development has come so far for the Panny plasmas no one will ever catch up. I can also say, don't judge plasma by that old display of yours, frankly Visios are about four years behind Panasonic now let alone when yours came out. Now for that kind of price, you can get a top of the line Panasonic 55in 1080p native plasma, and your old 47 is probably native 1024x768, not even real HD.

Sniper X screwed with this post 11-21-2011 at 01:58 PM
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #66
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Panasonic TC-P50ST30, awesome for the money. You'll thank me profusely if you do it. Oh and Ill tell you how to set it up perfectly for the movies.

What about Panasonic VIERA TC-P42ST30 42-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV ???

I've seen them priced in the $500s online.

If I mainly just watch cable TV, rarely watch DVDs, and never game, would I be wasting my time/money looking at something like this?
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #67
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post

I've seen them priced in the $500s online.

If I mainly just watch cable TV, rarely watch DVDs, and never game, would I be wasting my time/money looking at something like this?
great unit, the ST series is the best bang for the buck for sure in plasma worldwide.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #68
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Quote:
So, what do 'ya think about this Panasonic Vierra plasma: TC-P42X3 which I can get locally for ~ $480 ?
By far, the best unit you can get for that budget and size.....worlds better than ANY LCD in that size and they would be way more expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Quote:
great unit, the ST series is the best bang for the buck for sure in plasma worldwide.
Hey, waitaminnit! So my 42X3 isn't the best?

edit- BTW, still love it. Thanks for all the info, SniperX!

subybaja screwed with this post 11-26-2011 at 05:14 PM
subybaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #69
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Quote "I can also say, don't judge plasma by that old display of yours, frankly Visios are about four years behind Panasonic now let alone when yours came out. Now for that kind of price, you can get a top of the line Panasonic 55in 1080p native plasma, and your old 47 is probably native 1024x768, not even real HD.
Actually it is a top rated (back then) Hitachi , native 1080p . Looking around , hardly anyone stocks plasma . Looked up the reviews of the tv you mentioned earlier and some pretty bad reviews . I used to have a TV repairman I used in the old days . He retired when all you could get was junk from lowest overseas vendor . Pretty sure I will gamble on an LED/LCD this round . Limited to 47" where our TV has to go . Must say that I don't enjoy shopping for an idiot box near as much as motorcycles or riding gear .
Old 12-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #70
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp-Z View Post
Quote "I can also say, don't judge plasma by that old display of yours, frankly Visios are about four years behind Panasonic now let alone when yours came out. Now for that kind of price, you can get a top of the line Panasonic 55in 1080p native plasma, and your old 47 is probably native 1024x768, not even real HD.
Actually it is a top rated (back then) Hitachi , native 1080p . Looking around , hardly anyone stocks plasma . Looked up the reviews of the tv you mentioned earlier and some pretty bad reviews . I used to have a TV repairman I used in the old days . He retired when all you could get was junk from lowest overseas vendor . Pretty sure I will gamble on an LED/LCD this round . Limited to 47" where our TV has to go . Must say that I don't enjoy shopping for an idiot box near as much as motorcycles or riding gear .
What model is it? And just because it says 1080p somewhere on it, don't let that fool you unless it also says after the 1080p, the word Native. Every HD dislay says 1080p on it since about 5 years ago but their native resolution is between 1024X768, and 1920X1080 (MAX). Unless somewhere in your specifications it says Native resolution 1920X1080 it is not 1080p. Oh, and watch out for reviews from people other than experts in tyhis field, such as someone who bought one and got it home and didn't like it. Many people have no idea how to properly set up a display for their individual conditions. And many think they bought a POS because when they get it home, and hook it up to a SD feed off their VHS machine and it loks like shit compared to the floor model, they get all pissed and have no idea why it looks like shit. To get the most out of any display, it has to be configured to an HD feed, via HDMI, and set up right. Many don't have one idea whatsoever how to do this.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #71
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

[QUOTE=subybaja;17369774] Hey, waitaminnit! So my 42X3 isn't the best?

edit- BTW, still love it. Thanks for all the info, SniperX![/QUOTE

Sure.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #72
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I don't know shit about TV set-up, but a few months ago I bought a 42" 720p 120hz plasma for $400 and couldn't be happier. I can't believe you can get a TV so nice for so little money, it's about 12" bigger than any TV I thought I'd ever own.
Oh, and there is no such thing as a 120hz plasma, all plasma works at 600hz.....not a sluggy 120hz!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:37 AM   #73
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

SniperX ; would it be too much trouble for you to move near me ? Sounds like you would be "the guy' to guide my stupid ass through setting up a new TV . Lucky for me , I don't have to worry about a new one right now , have to wait to see if we have any money after wife gets done Christmas shopping ! You and yours have a great Christmas !
Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #74
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
Bump...

SniperX, what about this one?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...&skuId=4841493
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #75
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Bump...

SniperX, what about this one?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...&skuId=4841493
The only gripe about those i have seen or heard is in a very bright room they looked a little washed out since they aren't as bright as the next one above it. If you plan to watch it in a normally lit room and not a super bright room it'll probably be alright. They do get good reviews for picture quality.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: