User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
Ras Thurlo OP
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 556
airhead off road suspension?

Does anyone have experience in upgrading airhead suspension for real off road use?

I assume some of you have tricked out airhead dirtbikes

I have a paralever 80gs which I use as a dual sport bike on conti tkc's.

the tractor pull is great and as long as you avoid mud with those tyres - it can get you through far more than it should.

Have got into it enough that I now wanted to move on from the soggy stock ride

Ras Thurlo screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 01:26 AM
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,527
There is some info here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,984
I'm lining one up as my next project.

I have a few sets of WP USD forks from 640 KTM's in my stash, getting them to fit the GS is pretty straightforward.

The stem simply presses out, took around 5 tons of pressure on a press, it's then just a case of machining the KTM stem down to take BMW bearings. before pressing the stem back in.

This is my mock up and a long way from what the bike will end up looking like. The frame will need bracing before I use the bike.

If you want it done well then have a look at Richie Moores website http://www.moorespeed.co.uk/aircoole...s-improvements

I want to ship my frame to Richie for the bracing work. Looks like this when it's done.

Shurv has posted his rebuild using Moorespeed parts and services http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247228

Rob Farmer screwed with this post 06-21-2011 at 11:21 PM
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #4
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
This is my mock up and a long way from what the bike will end up looking like. The frame will need bracing before I use the bike.

If you want it done well then have a look at Richie Moores website http://www.moorespeed.co.uk/aircoole...s-improvements

I want to ship my frame to Richie for the bracing work. Looks like this when it's done.
1100/1150 swingarm/rear end?

We appear to be headed down a similar garden path, Rob...

Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
1100/1150 swingarm/rear end?

We appear to be headed down a similar garden path, Rob...

How far have you got with it Lornce? What are you doing about the offset in the rear wheel?

Ideally I'd have liked the 1150 swinging arm driveshaft/Swing arm because it's shorter but the 1100 parts came up at the right price.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
airheadpilot
Le Poulet du Désert

Oddometer: 280
Something I've wanted to try (but don't currently have a Paralever bike to try it on) is combining the 1150 swingarm with the airhead drum brake final drive. I've seen photos of some of the HPN bikes that appear to have taken this route, and it seems to me that you'd get the central-mounted shock and slightly longer swingarm afforded by the oilhead, but be able to use the airhead GS driveshaft (although you'd probably need to have it extended). Did you look at this at all? I'd be curious as to how easy it is to mate the airhead final drive to the oilhead swingarm.

Andrew
Old 06-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Andrew,

I'm not sure what you'd gain by that. The 1100 driveshaft will fit to the Paralever bevel box but you need the adapter at the gearbox end. The whole point of the conversion for me is to replace the increasingly expensive and hard to find drum braked rear wheel for a disk brake and remove the driveshaft failing problem by fitting the stronger oilhead one.

The paralever bevel box will fit in the 1100/1150 swinging arms but will need a torque arm mounting with an offset. The standard shock will be too short as well.

Oilhead parts are very cheap at the minute so it makes sense to make use of as many as possible.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
How far have you got with it Lornce? What are you doing about the offset in the rear wheel?

Ideally I'd have liked the 1150 swinging arm driveshaft/Swing arm because it's shorter but the 1100 parts came up at the right price.
Still in the parts gathering stage. Have a complete WP Extreme 50 front end from a Husaberg and swingarm/final drive/wheel/disc brake ass'bly from my aulde 1150 carcass. Still need a driveshaft to mod to suit. Haven't decided if I'll use the 1150 rear wheel or lace the 1150 hub to an airhead rim. Those 150 section tires are expensive.

Primary reason for doing it is to raise ride height and use the taller oilhead 2.91 final drive. 3.09 airhead gears are rediculously short for a healthy litre motor, imho.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Primary reason for doing it is to raise ride height and use the taller oilhead 2.91 final drive. 3.09 airhead gears are rediculously short for a healthy litre motor, imho.
If you think 3.09 is short, try a 3.36. Yeeesh.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,999
I'm not sure what you guys mean by "offroad" I think it means something different here than it does elsewhere. If you'd like basic endless dirt roads and long highspeed desert stuff, a front end thats adjustable on the fly and increased wheelbase with a long rear end and stiffer braced frame is all good... but if you are talking about non-touring tight stuff, where the traction pattern of the tire will actually make a significant difference you have a different path to go down.

Stagehand screwed with this post 06-22-2011 at 08:17 PM
Stagehand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I'm not sure what you guys mean by "offroad" I think it means something different here than it does elsewhere. If you'd like basic endless dirt roads and long highspeed desert stuff, a front end thats adjustable on the fly and increased wheelbase with a long rear end and stiffer braced frame is all good... but if you are talking about non-touring tight stuff, where the traction pattern of the tire will actually make a significant difference you have a different path to go down.
I'm interested.

More on your thoughts on "non-touring tight stuff" setup.

I've been keeping the wheelbase short so the bike will turn and the supension low enough so I can still get on and off to open gates, high enough to clear logs, soft enough not to skip on bowling ball sized rocks and stiff enough to handle jumps and power sliding sweepers.

Conflicting compromises all then add in strong enough to take the punishment and light enough to be handled and it all gets pretty hard to make a good choice even if I had unlimited $$$$ to throw at it.

I haven't mentioned brakes yet
Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
Ricklesss
Ricklesssssssss

Oddometer: 111
To me, "off road", mean's lowwwww gearing...I've got a 32/9 (3.56) rear drive on my /6 g/s, and if you can hang onto it, it will climb up and over most anything. It's especially good for crawling over downed/stalled riders in front of me.
It supposedly still has a 90mph top end, though I've never tried. I like it.
RicklessssssS in Oregon

"And no matter what, what ever you do, NEVER chase camels faster than your guardian angel can fly...
Ricklesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #13
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,999
Wrote something, but got booted in last night's site maintenance.

What I basically said was I guess I need to ride one of these WP'd 1150 swingarmed bandits to see if they really do better than significantly better for what I want to do with them, which isnt necessarily Dakar stuff. A steering damper alone did more for me than an entire frontendectomy.

SO I am saying I shouldnt have spoken out of turn, because I dont actually know how good those expensive modifications really are. Dont get me wrong, I am the first one to pour stupid money onto projects already burning, but I need to get out more.

Speaking of which, Rucksta, if thats your kind of riding, I want to ride with you

I kind of want one GS to keep relatively stock like mine kind of is, and I want another to trick out like crazy.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

They aren't expensive options. The whole front end on my bike in the picture cost less than a new pair of stanchions for the standard front end and thats with the brakes and master cylinder. PYCymu, an inmate here, gave me another front end the other day. If the parts are cheap it's worth trying? If it works well I'll be buying a set of Gletter yolks.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
If you think 3.09 is short, try a 3.36. Yeeesh.
I could barely stand that at 800cc. At 1000cc? No way.