User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #721
astroguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-F...item43b386058d

My 2001 has served me well. I have learned to forget about the images posted on this thread but I must say that I do get a bit unnerved seeing this on eBay! many images....but look at the last bunch.....look familiar?
astroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #722
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Virtually no sign of any real accident damage other than the fork leg & as with others considerable miles on it

Would be interesting to hear the circumstances of the failure
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:21 AM   #723
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Virtually no sign of any real accident damage other than the fork leg & as with others considerable miles on it

Would be interesting to hear the circumstances of the failure

Couldn't find the closeups earlier. Now I can.

Benesesso screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 06:33 AM
Benesesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #724
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

I saved copies earlier today

I can still access them on photobucket though

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/a...lver%20B6437U/

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/a...go/Motorcycles for Sale/BMW F650GS 2001 silver B6437U/?action=view&current=266.jpg

I am interested as well in the fact that so many of the failures have pulled the axle through the lug opposite to the direction I would have expected
Old 09-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #725
zig06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
I saved copies earlier today

I can still access them on photobucket though

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/a...lver%20B6437U/

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/a...go/Motorcycles for Sale/BMW F650GS 2001 silver B6437U/?action=view&current=266.jpg

I am interested as well in the fact that so many of the failures have pulled the axle through the lug opposite to the direction I would have expected

To me it looks like a very expected way to fail, if you look at it from the perspective of the failure starting at the base of the clamp (the lowest point) and then pealing upwards.

Even more shocking about that eBay ad is that it's bidding is already up to the point of NADA value for a good running (and not broken) F-650. And an '01 in "Excellent" condition from a dealership is only $1,000 more...

zig06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #726
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
over torquing that pinch bolt?
Old 09-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #727
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,962
Wack a set of KYB (YZ) forks on it, & jobs a good'un.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #728
Center-stand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig06 View Post
If the axle was in this position at the time of failure, it could be the cause of the failure. I think the axle should be flush with the boss, not sticking out. In that position, the lower fork tube would be in a stressed position between the axle and the fork brace. Possibly installed with wrong spacer??

Another picture shows the fork brace broken as well. To me that's another indication that the failures are a result of stresses over a long period of time, not a one time strike.

Center-stand screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 08:53 PM
Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #729
astroguy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Center-stand View Post
If the axle was in this position at the time of failure, it could be the cause of the failure. I think the axle should be flush with the boss, not sticking out. In that position, the lower fork tube would be in a stressed position between the axle and the fork brace. Possibly installed with wrong spacer??.
Well Centrestand...at first when I read your above comment, I thought...."nope, that is normal position". I just ran out to my bike and , yes, to my surprise, the attached images show the axel standing out about twice as far as mine does. Although my axel definitely does not sit flush with the slider either , it is about half the distance of standoff from the attached damage images. Could be that someone backed it out as well to investigate? Interesting.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #730
astroguy
Adventurer

I don't know how to upload the images but though it interesting that the rear wheel chain adjusters were set as far forward as possible? Mine didn't look like that with a new chain and sprockets but also, it could represent recent work on the bike. Chain/sprockets/bearings? Just a big fat guess again but I wondered about the rear chain adjusters. My factory chain with new sprockets didn't not adjust out like this. Just another theory, but it is overall disturbing that it happened on the 'likely' rt side slider instead of the lt.
Also, as WayneC1 mentioned.....the overall damage to the bike looks so minimal for this type of failure that it seems unlikely that the bike hit head on to something. Just looks like the bike fell over to the left.
I've really tried to mask these images as I've cruised through my miles this summer, but I have to admit that I'm starting to feel less 'fine' with my bike after simpley stumbling into these images while I was cruising eBay for 'something neat' for my F650. Makes me wonder how many of these failures don't get reported.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #731
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

One person who did not report his failure because he believed he made a mistake has one of the best descriptions of a failure as it occurred. It is a high mileage machine which was well used

Took me a while to understand his inability to turn into the corner as they ride on the other side of the road to us in the US. The thread is worth readiing

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=14
Old 09-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #732
astroguy
Adventurer

Quote:
One person who did not report his failure because he believed he made a mistake has one of the best descriptions of a failure as it occurred. It is a high mileage machine which was well used
Took me a while to understand his inability to turn into the corner as they ride on the other side of the road to us in the US. The thread is worth readiing
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=14
Thanks WayneC1....it is worth reading. Again the rt front fork. Seems clearly to have failed before the crash impact. Of note in the images is that the axle bolt on the rt does sit flush.....and mind doesn't?!
Old 09-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #733
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Question Single vehicle accidents only?

How many other BMW right forks have broken, but while the rider was in traffic?

If the rider didn't live to tell the tale, the report would read "rider lost control" even though witnesses might state that the rider was going along with traffic before suddenly veering and falling down in front of three lanes of cars and trucks going 65. The broken fork would just be viewed as part of the wreck damage and not as the cause.

I wonder if it is possible to get the accident report for every 650 GS fatality and look at the pictures of the right fork leg at the axle clamp. I would think a good accident investigator could get the information but maybe that is only on TV.

A hungry attorney might be able to put together a class action suit against BMW representing the families of those who died in addition to those few who survived whom we have read about.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #734
zig06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Wack a set of KYB (YZ) forks on it, & jobs a good'un.
I've heard about some YZ forks getting installed on a F650, never seen any real details or pictures though. At the same time, why not just install a set of KLX650 forks?? They may not be as advanced but they do already use 41mm tubes, so the stock F650 triple clamps can be used and then you can either use the KLX front wheel & brake or adapt the F650 wheel to the KLX axle and now your ABS will still function.
zig06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #735
Center-stand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
I know I've said it before but I will say it again. If you are riding one of these bikes, check the front axle for straightness and proper spacers/position. Consult your manual to clarify the proper position as it relates to the pictures in this thread.

There should not be any stress on the fork as a result of twisting or pinching the lower fork out of alighnment with the upper inner fork tube.

Now that I have seen a broken fork brace I would also check the brace for any sign of stress. It is possible there are indicators of impending disaster.

I know smarter people than me have stated different opinions, but I believe the failures are directly related to stress placed on the axle boss by either a bent axle or improperly installed axle, and the action of a rolling wheel.

I would ride one of these bikes, but I would check it out carefully.

Center-stand screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 01:53 PM
Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote