User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
ShaneBaby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
RTW with Shane on a Donkey

HELLO EVERYONE! great phew! introductions over.

Im a 35 yr old truck driver thats been reading ride reports on here for the last two years while saving for my ride and now its time to get going with a RR of my own!!

I really started my ride in my home country of NZ. I thought I would warm into it with a quick lap of NZ visiting friends and family along the way and telling them about my plans to live and learn on my bike RTW for the next couple of years.

For this I borrowed a VT750 from a great and generous friend its was an experience riding that Im used to sports bikes! One flat battery on the way to ferry was the only drama on that very smooth ride. It took me 2 weeks to ride from Auckland to Invercargill and back so a very quick trip was had. If you only have a couple of weeks off work a year I highly recommend heading to NZ for a quick lap.

So I started at the bottom of the map being Invercargill, New Zealand where I helped my cousin cutting some wood to keep his cat with no eyes warm through the winter and after a flight to Brisbane Australia to pick up my beloved Donkey Roota 650 (DR650) and do some packing and FINALLY took off on Sunday morning.

I have a very rough and ever evolving plan of following the front wheel for the next 2 years.
I'm two months behind where I wanted to be in April! due to having trouble selling my beloved superbikes

and actually leaving the comfort of home and a solid income was very hard. After a few thousand km of nothing in the Australian outback there is no place I would rather be.

I will ride through to Georgia via Asia and spend the winter there a la RTW with Noah, then start east across the Stans, Mongolia Russia to Japan and back to Australia. Although Alice Springs has been great so far not sure if Ill leave haha

I hope you can join me along the way or better yet ride with me some of the way.
Cheers Shane
ShaneBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
ShaneBaby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just a small snippet of my ride from Brisbane to Alice Springs.

I left in sunshine and 4 hours in after a lot of rain I pulled to cook up my first coffee. There was a nice old guy fishing with granddaughter they a caught a small yellowbelly fish and gave it to me so I did my best to fillet it with my leatherman and had fresh fish and coffee for my first lunch on the road. After another couple of hundred km at 430pm I was feeling great so I found a little track that ran along side a railway track and decided to find some dirt.
After 7 drops unpacking repacking and 4 hours to do 30km I relised my mistake of being to damn stubborn to turn back. Eventually I found a campsite what a day
I broke my Hepko pannier latch in one of the drops too.
So then another 2000km of straight roads I arrived at a friends place and my DR showed a couple of CRFs the way around their local trail rides
Loving life on the road Leaving for Darwin tomorrow which is 1600km away 2 maybe 3 days ride
Old 04-08-2014, 06:57 AM   #3
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 729
Great start, wishing you an amazing trip!

Cheers,

poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
ShaneBaby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok guys Im in Darwin. Been here for nearly 2 weeks nows waiting for the boat trying not to be a tourist here but hell I dont know what else to do. Ridden round Litchfeild Park a couple of times and the reports from Kakadu are not great or inspiring me to go there. i did a day trip out Mandura and Cox penninsula. I saw a huge Crocodile in a souvenir shop. Um meet a nice french lady ok she wasnt a lady but we had nice time and the first to ride Donkey with me. Lounging in the pool because its 35C here which is how much it costing me to stay in the YHA hostel here. Its bloody humid and hot in a tent so Im trying to drink and eating noodles alot. Heres some of blog posts and a video from earlier
Old 04-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
ShaneBaby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ive made it Darwin in one peice!!! Now the hard part of battling Customs and Toll transport to get take my bike to Dili, Timor Leste. Plenty of antics along the way. Alice Springs was amazing and alot of fun with some really cool people. I left there with a cold which Im just getting on top of everytime I swim in a public pool I seem to get a cold wether Im naked or not. Thanks Annies Place! I was on the road by 9 am and a fairly uneventfull 700km day i found a rough camp spot where mozzies tore me a new one little buggers. Up early with a lazy 100km to the gas station to get started and hello I met cowboy boot wearing Danielle that morning will be forever etched in my memory. Onwards 500km to Katherine where I met 2 couples having some beers in the Edith River. They seemed friendly enough so we had some of their beers while swimming in the river. One of the couples were camping there the night. They suggested getting some more beer from town. Righto gave them 20$ and expected them back in hour or so. I made a huge fire but nobody came back haha oh well they are 20$ better off. So I made camp fire side and cooked my dinner. Next morning at 10am I was sat at a gas station. When old mate saw my bike and asked about my trip he said good on you an gave me 20$ I shit you not!! There was a deluxe touristy swim at Mataraka hot pools there somewhere too After buying bike bits and a few beers with Olins buddy from Darwin. Im heading to Lithfeild park for the night because Wongi Falls is a must see. Need to make the most of my bike before it goes in a container. Should be at my first backpackers on Sunday night. Those were some of the amazing things that happened along the way. Life is damp and great at the moment
Old 04-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
ShaneBaby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Last night I headed off into Litchfeild National Park its 300km loop. I should of thought to stop and dig the go pro out but....it was to dark.
Now I figured what the hell even its raining I'll go 75km and find a spot to camp on the side of the road and head to Wongi falls in the morning. Apparently its a sealed road out there and the swimming at the falls is top notch haha. I follow my gps and the sign says Litchfeild via gravel road I figure what the hell its sign posted cant be to bad. Hmmn it rains more.. stories of flash floods and crocs are playing on my mind.
I couldn't find anywhere to camp! and I wasn't being picky. Its 830pm and night now and Im going slow, birds are taking flight when I cross their path the road is full of toads and pot holes and water. I figure 45km more of gravel till the falls, I’ll make it even if it takes me 2hrs. Im constantly looking for a place to set up camp its either setup on the road(there is I mean no one around) or bash some tall grass that is higher the me enough to camp at night in a NT reserve bugger that! Ill keep riding, all I see are lightning strikes in the distance and more rain. I first come across a makeshift roadwork’s bridge that nearly has me beat. my bike doesn't do deep sand well.
17km away from the falls (I can see this on my gps) I figure there must be camping there? The rain eases and I start to feel after making through the bridge and stopping my pannier from coming loose on the ruts. And slowly out of the darkness comes a huge ominous water crossing. I roll to a stop and jump off get my torch and shine it in, there is no eyes looking back at me so I wade into the dark water packing myself thinking Im croc food for sure haha, it is hard ground and there is a way through sweet! no drama.
I make it to falls that night and set my tent right in front of the NO CAMPING sign and get smashed by mozzies and the heat all night Miserable night! with little sleep and ant bites on top of mozzie bites sweating buckets in a tent with lots of cool animal noises its no holiday.
But today I awake to find a beautiful National park and Wongi Falls is closed for swimming! but with 6 or 7 amazing waterfalls/swimming holes with in 50km of each other life is great so I cruise around doing little hikes and swimming checking out the park. Now its my first night in a backpackers stink! busy thinking about what I do and don't take to Timor I need to loose some weight from my gear!
Old 04-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
ShaneBaby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

...... ... and the boat is delayed by another week and may be delayed further massive bummer for me. If it keeps being delayed my weather window for North Asia is closing rapidly. What to do in Darwin for a week on a budget? Look for some part time work maybe. Oh well
Old 04-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
ShaneBaby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

By far the thing i take away from my journey from Brissy to Darwin is the Aboriginal PEOPLE. Its blown my mind and i really dont know what to think! I normally have an opinion in my mind even if I will not say it, not on this subject I am lost in my thoughts..... All I can say is I am so grateful I wasnt born Aboriginal in Australia. I wont give my savings to them. I will sit completely sober in the gutter with them and laugh at strange drunken tourists with them though. — feeling free.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
ShaneBaby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So I'm in a hostel at the moment with lots of tourists(different than travellers!) one traveller is a member of a tribe in Flores Indonesia and just told me he would give me a introduction to a respected man in Bejawa. happy days! been dancing the last 2 nights and even met a nice french girl before that. she had to leave. Picked up a part to fix my bike pannier last night from Jason and did my best to shot peen the rivets with a tent peg and ball hammer. fingers crossed my repair will hold. My new Iranian friend Sam loaned me a hammer and clamp to help
Old 04-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
longobard
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Im in
longobard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #11
ShaneBaby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

just saying this whole im going round the world on a voyage of discovey is a hit with the ladies
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #12
ShaneBaby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

currently enjoying Timor Leste Donkey should get here on Tuesday :) no hurry the locals are friendly
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #13
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
Good on ya! Looks like your adventure was well under way whilst still in Oz! Will be sure to keep an eye out for your future episodes! You really have a way with storytelling!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:15 AM   #14
ShaneBaby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well still going 7 months on....... Staying in Manali now after riding Spitti Valley, Donkey is still going strong,
Ride Inn here has been the hotel of choice,
Thinking bout riding down to Goa its getting a bit cold here anyone wanna come?