Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #31
cybrdyke
In the Dark

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
Yes, I know it sounds like a bit of an oxymoron, but it's a serious question.

The thing is, I like cruisers. I like the look, feel, and comfort of a well sorted Harley and plenty of other cruisers as well. My problem is that I come closer to getting myself in trouble when riding a twisty road on a cruiser than any other bike I've ever owned. When I found myself sliding the front wheel of my Road King in a curve in the Ozarks, it bothered me enough that I sold the bike. I didn't think I was pushing it all that hard, but evidently I was pretty near it's limits. I've had a similar experience with an FXDXT I once owned, and it is arguably one of the best handling big twins Harley ever built. Ditto an 1100 Honda Shadow some years ago.

I've never considered myself a particularly fast rider and there are worlds of people that would run away from me when we're riding identical bikes because I'm just not in that big a hurry most of the time. But, I do have over 50 years experience riding on the street, so I kind of know what I'm doing.

Handling is the only reason there is no cruiser in my garage right now. So the question is, if I give cruisers another shot, which one provides the best handling of the bunch? I know none of them will approach my Norge or Tigers, but which is the best for what they are? I'm thinking the Moto Guzzi California may be it, but I haven't ridden one yet.

So, in your experience, what's your pick? Brand doesn't really matter. Aesthetics and comfort do, but only after handling.
Naw, I dont buy this premise. I've owned Road Kings and Dynas and I ride the shit out of them with some real hard chargers. I've never slid the front tire on any of them, unless there was sand or tar snakes. If you have, multiple times as you say, there's something wrong other than the bikes.
cybrdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #32
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Hardly 1100cc but a Vulcan 500LTD will give all of the other bikes in this thread save maybe the Diavel a run for their money in the twisties
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #33
spenny
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Its gotta be the Dieval or XR1200 I'd think.

In general look for a narrow bike with decent clearance as that's usually the limiting factor. You can always upgrade brakes etc without too much work. I really don't like anything about cruisers, but did ride a VF500C for a while and it handled better than most cruisers (and sadly even at 500cc made more power than almost all other cruisers of that era as well).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taarne View Post
I'm quite impressed with the Diavel at 210kg dry and 162 horsepower. That's half the weight and triple the power than some cruisers. The riding position also looks so near to standard that it'll allow sporty riding. I'm fairly sure the handling will also give your Norge and Tiger a run for their money.

Of course, if the bike has to look like a Harley.. and it's a Ducati.
Diavel isnt really a cruiser, its more of a muscle bike; like the Yamaha VMax and Harley Street Rod. And the XR1200 isnt a cruiser, you'll figure that out quick after sitting on one... more of a standard bike, lots of character.

Good handling and cruiser hardly ever go hand in hand. You can always upgrade a Harley with some Ohlins...
Old 06-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #34
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 993
The best handling cruiser is mine. Or at least that's what I'm working towards. But you can't have mine so I would recommend a Yamaha Warrior which is the bike I would have gotten otherwise. I had a Speedmaster before my current bike it was OK in the handling departmen but mine had a lot of quality issues.

My bike is a Victory Vegas with a hammer front end and a custom made linkage to raise the bike (heresy in cruiser circles) for more cornering clearance.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #35
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roam View Post
My bike is a Victory Vegas with a hammer front end and a custom made linkage to raise the bike (heresy in cruiser circles) for more cornering clearance.
I think it looks good, almost like a really big standard. Raising it up certainly gives it a more aggressive appearance that the typical Vegas.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:54 AM   #36
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Not Appearing View Post
Not quite 1100cc, but I would think any of the Tonti-framed Guzzi cruisers would be tough to beat in the handling category.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Gotta be the toni framed Moto Guzzi California series.

Steve

+1.

The correct answer.

Updated 1970s race-winning chassis with "cruiser clothing".

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”

rocker59 screwed with this post 06-26-2011 at 02:01 AM
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #37
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
Get a Victory, not the fat tire ones...

Always considered some of the better handling cruisers you can buy.

I always run them pretty hard in the turns and I find very little to fault. Keep things in perspective and you won't want more.

+1. Inverted fork, monoshock, same-sized front and rear tires. Only problem is ground clearance with the floorboards. My guess is more clearance than a Harley, less than a Guzzi.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #38
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roam View Post
The best handling cruiser is mine. Or at least that's what I'm working towards. But you can't have mine so I would recommend a Yamaha Warrior which is the bike I would have gotten otherwise. I had a Speedmaster before my current bike it was OK in the handling departmen but mine had a lot of quality issues.

I'm diggin that, where did you go for the custom linkage and what length did you go with from the standard linkage? I ride a Kingpin and it has a Penske rear shock on, just looking for some better clearance for the corners. Did you go with the Hammer front spring rate also?
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #39
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
That would be the BMW R1200C. Not in production anymore but worth a look. It handles like a proper motorcycle.
It has zero left-hand cornering clearance. Don't ask me how I found out.

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #40
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,300
I had a basic Super Glide, it handled rather well when I could get the prick to start.
How do Wide Glides handle?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #41
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
How do Wide Glides handle?
Lyle
Like there is a hinge in the middle.
SGrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #42
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Laugh

09 or newer baggers handle real nice. Donot forget to buy good rear shocks for a better ride.
Crilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #43
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
+1.

The correct answer.

Updated 1970s race-winning chassis with "cruiser clothing".

I'm actually astounded that this thread could come up with anything else for an answer, except for the butt ugly and hugely expensive Diavel. This thread is titled "best handling cruiser", not favourite [subjective], best looking [subjective].
Handling, last I checked, does not include touching down hard parts leaned in at 15 degrees. Most all cruisers are made for straight lines, every body knows this, but we still get these people that think that going around corners at 10 mph is handling. There's way too much "what about my favourite" going on here, makes me shake my head. Anyways, I'll casually wait around till somebody posts up their vote for a V-Rod muscle.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #44
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
I'm actually astounded that this thread could come up with anything else for an answer...

Steve
Yeah. Me, too...

V7 Sport... (this one a 1974)

...which let to the LeMans series (this one a 1987)

...and finally, the ultimate expression of the Tonti California, ca.2007:

All the above bikes have the same basic Lino Tonti-designed frame, originally intended for sporting/racing, which it was with great success into the 1980s. The late model Californias are blessed with 45mm Marzocchi forks, and lots of other upgrades...

Oh, and this one that's not currently available in the USA which includes SS swingarm and 6-speed tranny:

But I'm sure it's just falling on deaf ears...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #45
davevv OP
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
But I'm sure it's just falling on deaf ears...
Not really. It just helps confirm what I was thinking originally. The point of the thread was to see if maybe there was something out there I had overlooked that had similar abilities.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote