User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
jp-speed-triple OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Chasing the 2012 dakar

Not sure if this should be in racing or trip planning...but is anyone planning to follow/chase the rally in 2012?

Would love to follow it, but would not want to go it alone.

anyone? Bueller?
jp-speed-triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
boosted gp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Yip we will be trying to follow it.

We are shipping our bikes from South Africa to Beunos Aires. we arrive on the 26th, then we will ride down to to watch scruteneering and try follow the dakar, but some days is quite hectic milage.

After dakar we are going from lima to maccha picchu, lake titikaka.

will be good to all meet up.

Mike
All Advice given without Prejudice. Boosted Performance (Pty) Ltd, and any of its employees will not be held Liable for any damages or loss in any manner or form whatsoever. All parts sold carry manufacturers warranty and are intended for RACE use only.
boosted gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:20 AM   #3
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Whats the story with import fees and stuff? Using a broker?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
nagykovi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
isn't cheaper (and easier) to rent there a bike?
nagykovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #5
jp-speed-triple OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted gp View Post
Yip we will be trying to follow it.

We are shipping our bikes from South Africa to Beunos Aires. we arrive on the 26th, then we will ride down to to watch scruteneering and try follow the dakar, but some days is quite hectic milage.

After dakar we are going from lima to maccha picchu, lake titikaka.

will be good to all meet up.

Mike
do you know your dates? would you be interested in a 'tag along' Brit on a GS? Doubt I could stay much after the event....although its a long way to go to rush back!

Testing the water at this moment......I'm very keen to do this though.

J
jp-speed-triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:03 AM   #6
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,349
I am very interested also, at 51 was wondering about the the rigors. I am going one way or another, rent, fly... somehow. Subscribed, the race that gives us something to look forward to.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:24 AM   #7
fetid_swamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
there was a few getting togather in oz forum.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=2012+dakar

hire bikes -choose from a tranny up to 1200gs, full tour with some extras, supposed some bivvy access. sounded better than fair value to me. certainly be an unforgettable 3-4 weeks
pm them if interested i spose.

Standing on the front lawn, shirtless, arguing with meth head neighbours while surrounded by bemused cops with dogs and tasers at the ready, his mullet gently blowing in the breeze.
fetid_swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

I usually travel with no certain plan in mind as it adds to the adventure. However, with this race I may do something like that the first time. Thanks for the info.

Still Riff Raff
Old 07-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
$low-n-0ld Racing
Arbitrary Soil Appraiser

Oddometer: 86
We (LakeFeesch and I) will be chasing the 2012 Dakar . Our plan is to arrive in Santiago, Chile on December 28th. With any luck, our bikes will be waiting for us. LakeFeesch has an old friend in Santiago who is helping us with shipping and getting the bikes through customs. Once we have our bikes, the plan is to haul-ass to Mar Del Plata, Argentina for the start of Dakar 2012. Our plan is rather simple; watch one day of the race, then ride ahead of the race, find cold beer, watch it pass again…lather, rinse, repeat.

Once the Dakar is finished, and the hang-over clears, we will spend another 3 to 3-1/2 weeks of traveling willy-nilly across South America, just goofing off. Plan? what plan? we don't need no stinking plan. We will be riding through Peru, Bolivia Chile and Argentina. We fly out of Santiago on February 9th. Back to reality, with a shi*-eating grin on my ugly mug.

I got the first round of my shots this week ; yellow fever, hepatices, tetanus, mmr, and one other I can’t remember. Have another trip to the doc in 4 to 6 weeks for round two of the shots.

Less than 167 days till departure...
2008 KTM 300xcwe
2006 Ducati Monster S2R
2006 Yamaha ttr50 - it's for yard work

Medical Alert – I have an allergic reaction to stupidity
$low-n-0ld Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,963
Look forward to seeing your pics in the F5 thread

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Hey slow and old- love your attitude and plan.
Maybe this old gringo could join you for all or part unless things are set in stone. My phone is 3302050323 and email is tommyt@drumlines.org. Just a thought.

Thanks for your consideration.

Still Riff Raff
Old 07-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #12
$low-n-0ld Racing
Arbitrary Soil Appraiser

Oddometer: 86
Well, that all depends; can you tolerate hanging, or even being seen in public with us, not many can. It’s not that we are hideous…well, only a little, or that we bitch at each other like a couple of old nags…we do. For some, the public ridicule and humiliation that one will ultimately have to endure after being affiliated with us, can be unbearable . Don’t say you were not warned…you have been.

If you would like to ride along, that’s fine. Just gives us a willing victim for ridicule, but then there are two ends to that stick . On the 990, I have been known to ride all day; dirt is preferred but pavement will do. My last ride; 5 days, 2,300-miles. Our current set up, with 3-gallons of auxiliary fuel, will allow us to run 300 to 350-miles between fuel stops.

We should talk

T-164.
2008 KTM 300xcwe
2006 Ducati Monster S2R
2006 Yamaha ttr50 - it's for yard work

Medical Alert – I have an allergic reaction to stupidity
$low-n-0ld Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
DORION
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
CHECK OUT THIS SITE

http://www.rawhyde-offroad.com/dakar/index.html
DORION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #14
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by $low-n-0ld Racing View Post
Well, that all depends; can you tolerate hanging, or even being seen in public with us, not many can. It’s not that we are hideous…well, only a little, or that we bitch at each other like a couple of old nags…we do. For some, the public ridicule and humiliation that one will ultimately have to endure after being affiliated with us, can be unbearable . Don’t say you were not warned…you have been.

If you would like to ride along, that’s fine. Just gives us a willing victim for ridicule, but then there are two ends to that stick . On the 990, I have been known to ride all day; dirt is preferred but pavement will do. My last ride; 5 days, 2,300-miles. Our current set up, with 3-gallons of auxiliary fuel, will allow us to run 300 to 350-miles between fuel stops.

We should talk

T-164.
After 31 years in the carnival business, there is not much you could do nor say to bother or embarrass me. I have a passport full of stamps and a loving wife that lets me run wild. Would be most comfortable on my DR650 but would consider purchasing a new Tiger 800XC. Call me anytime bro.

Tom 330-205-0323

Still Riff Raff
Old 09-19-2011, 05:55 AM   #15
DakarDreamer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Pickerings RTW: Follow Dakar Rally Tour 2012

Hi All

Things have been happening thick and fast since being accepted into Dakar 2012 so I am only now getting round to contacting everyone here and elsewhere about plans and prep etc. I'll start a separate thread on that soon.
See www.DakarRally24.com

But as well as training and preparing for the most awesome race on earth I am also overseeing the build of a custom 6X6 Tatra overland truck with a 7m long luxury accommodation cabin for some lucky adventurers to follow the Dakar in style!

The tour includes accommodation from the 29th/30th of December to the 19th of January - Luxury Villas at the start and end of the rally in Mar Del Plata and Lima with extensive grounds, accommodation and pools shared with the Desert Rose Team and a global luxury expedition vehicle to chase the Dakar!

The truck is a 6X6 Tatra similar to those racing in and supporting the Dakar. It is 10m long with a bespoke 7m long living accommodation cabin. The air conditioned accommodation has separate permanent sleeping areas with full size sprung mattresses and duvets. The cabin has a full bathroom and shower with domestic grade fittings (no camping loos!) a fully equipped kitchen with oven, hobs, grill, microwave, fridge etc a lounge with AV equipment, large dining table and is finished to a high standard throughout. With a 1000litres of fresh water, solar panels, 8kv generator and a 2500km range this truck is self sufficient for a week at a time and will be the most luxurious way to follow the Dakar but still get the buzz and excitement that travelling with the Rally provides.

You will see on our Facebook page that we have also mounted a 5 seat Polaris RZR on the truck for you to use for impromptu rally assistance and dune fun!

The truck will be brand new so finish will be very comfortable Our driver is the owner of Overland Vehicles who built the truck so full technical assistance will be provided! Ed is easy going and likable but also ex British military with extensive overlanding experience so the ideal person to drive and assist for a Dakar adventure!

There is more information and photos at Dakar Rally Tour 2012 Facebook Page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dakar-...57216860985947

I am looking for between 3 and 5 people for this exclusive tour so get in touch if you want to be part of the Desert Rose Race team for a once in a lifetime experience to get inside the Dakar Rally!

We are flexible in terms of plans though so if you have specific requirements or requests (maybe you need the ultimate support vehicle for your own tour?) then let me know.

Cheers
Jago