User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #31
StolenFant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Looking for DS riding in Covington area

I'm visiting brother-in-law in Hot Springs. Couldn't bring my Husky TE this trip but plan to return in spring. I expect there is some excellent forest gravel and jeep trail riding in the area, and hope to hook up with some of you to ride with, or get GPX tracks from this spring/summer. Charleston, SC is my home, so it's all flat, sandy and boring in comparison. If any of you run Whadahala, Rick's Rondevous, etc., we may meet up then.

If y'all are ever in Charleston, SC area, hit the Weekly Rides near Charleston, SC thread, and we'll show you what we've got. Not much technical, but some great dirt road loops across West, Central and soon to be eastern parts of state. With 72 hours notice we should be able to hook you up with a guide from the GS & Tiger crowd to the DS/KLR/KTM guys and gals. 80/20 tires will work, but Hiedenau K60 & TKC80 for the big bikes and knobbies on the smaller ones are best. Our sand and gravel are simple, but the occasional section of thin goose grease mud will nearly guarantee an unscheduled CIT (close inspection of terrain)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishl View Post
Nice trip planning, riding, and reporting. Glad you rode on some of my favorites (Sugar Run, Hogback Ridge), but too bad Round Mt was closed.

If you find yourself on Hogback Ridge again, take the left at the powerline cutting and go down to to top of another great ADV road (something like Laurel Fork) that comes out on Kimberling Road about 3.5 miles East of where Hogback comes out. It's actually more fun going up the hill and has several creek crossings.

Chris

StolenFant screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 08:54 AM
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #32
FarmBoyBrad
Crash test dummy

Oddometer: 25
about Walker Mountain Rd (Forest Rd 206)

Just wanted to let anyone know who searches for this road/thread, that me and my son crossed the entire 14 mile length of this forestry road in his Jeep Wrangler (well scratched now- which he loves). It took us about 4 hours to cover it and that was with me taking lots of pics and also chainsawing a few branches/trees that were blocking the path. It is certainly a road that could possibly cause you to dump the bike a few times because of the rockiness of it and several very wet spots. I am at work now but will try to post some pics from home later tonight or later on this week. It is much more passable now, thanks to my chainsawing efforts and reaching out the passenger window snapping off branch after branch as we slowly inched thru it.
FarmBoyBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #33
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 275
Got the files! Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #34
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 275
Eh?

Well, thats not right.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #35
Laconic
Añejo

Oddometer: 16,039
Funny this should pop up today. I just spent my first weekend at H14's and have used Dolly Ann Drive a bunch as a little respite from 220. The road out the east side of Burke's Garden has also seen more than one Harley Davidson.

This was a good read, thanks.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #36
B10Dave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Thumb

Fantastic ride report and pictures. Looks like you had a very scenic and interesting ride. Thanks for taking us along....Dave
B10Dave is offline   Reply With Quote