User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Dr.Science OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Reading fault code memory: why?

Got this 2009 F650GS with 5K miles last fall and did the 6K service, no issues but couldn't read the fault code memory (not gonna spend $400 for a GS911 without a known pressing need). So rode around all winter with the "service" warning on and now just did the 12K service, and of course the light is still on.

So the question is: what happens if I do nothing? I mean, I know that if the ABS starts acting up or the fuel injection is misbehaving or there is some other evidence of a control systems issue, then there is probably some important info in the fault codes - but if the bike appears to be behaving perfectly, is there any reason why I should schedule a trip to the big city to have a dealer read the fault codes for me? Apart from the satisfaction of not seeing the "service" warning?
Dr.Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
No real need to worry about it.

Tap into the local BMW community and you might find someone with a GS911 who would be willing to reset your service interval.
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,207
A lot of the BMW clubs have a GS911 with the "unlimited" option (i.e. will read codes from any number of bikes) called "professional version.
The default is a limit of 10 VINs for the less expensive "enthusiast" version.

IMHO the only reason to be concerned would be that if there was a stored FAULT code (not just the "maint. required" indicator) it might be bad to ignore whatever "real" fault condition was actually posted. Say for example there were several logged instances of the computer resetting the electronic fuse on your fuel pump.

The US dealer for the GS-911 sometimes runs sales that are not advertised well.... a buddy of mine and I got one last year and split the cost so it was not too bad....

JRWooden screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 08:29 AM Reason: cleared up VIN limit...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 486
The dissenting opinion. On a modern bike, I think the GS911 becomes a neccessary travel tool.

On a dirt road, far from home with your bike acting up? Plug it in and read the codes via Bluetooth thru your phone.

Unplug, bypass, or replace the offending sensor (carry spares and printouts of Joels instructions from here on ADV) and you continue your vacation instead of wasting it being towed, stranded, etc.

For those of us with limited vacation time it's trip insurance!
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
The dissenting opinion. On a modern bike, I think the GS911 becomes a neccessary travel tool.

On a dirt road, far from home with your bike acting up? Plug it in and read the codes via Bluetooth thru your phone.

Unplug, bypass, or replace the offending sensor (carry spares and printouts of Joels instructions from here on ADV) and you continue your vacation instead of wasting it being towed, stranded, etc.

For those of us with limited vacation time it's trip insurance!
I agree ... on long trips my GS911 always goes with me.
I have an iPhone so can't use that to connect, but always take a lightweight laptop with SSD on my trips anyway.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
puckinet
Safety third

Oddometer: 346
Is it the service reminder or a service error. The gs 911 will allow you to change your service reminder. I'm in the process of picking one up

08 KTM 450 EXCR
2010 BMW F800GS
Rick
puckinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
David13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
NCD, Woody, I agree with that. First I like to know that my bike is running in top shape, good running condition
About a month ago I decided a little trip on Saturday and Sunday would be nice, so I rode to San Diego, thru' Tijuana, over to Tecate, and started for Mexicali to cross back and stay in El Centro.
The bike quit. Several times. And then wouldn't start again at all. The GS911 told me it was the fpc. So I had to get towed off the side of the mountain at La Rumorosa into Mexicali.
Where someone from the internet brought a spare down to me, to get me back to Los Angeles.
So the GS911 can give you an idea as to what you need.
But part of the regular service is read the codes. It might tell you you are going to have a problem in the near future.
dc.
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote