Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #16
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
In defense of the 690 enduro, all of the info is out there and if you treat the "issues" on a preventive maintenance basis those become non-issues. I haven't had a bit of trouble with mine and wouldn't consider another.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #17
bobbed06 OP
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
In defense of the 690 enduro, all of the info is out there and if you treat the "issues" on a preventive maintenance basis those become non-issues. I haven't had a bit of trouble with mine and wouldn't consider another.
PM sent..

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #18
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracothius View Post
Why would you say this? What makes it the best?
The 2011 Berg forks are a next level up from the KTMs.

And from information from the 2 suspension shops I use and have done my previous 2 bikes. I was going to swap my suspension over onto the new bike and both said to swap the upgraded rear shock but not the fork. The test ride on the standard 2011 bike set to my settings also showed it's fork to have a better action on single track and rocks.

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:51 AM   #19
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,364
This guy found a much cheaper alternative for the TE630 exhaust...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
I installed a Seat Concepts seat and a slipon kit that Bill from Bill's Motorcycles Plus put together. The can is a FMF that was built for a 2008 RMZ450. It bolts right up like it was made for the bike.

Bang for the buck, it's the cheapest thing out there to shave a crapload of weight off of the bike.

Bill built up a 630 for his son with this exhaust, some new wheels, and a different front end, all in the name of weight savings. He told me that the bike weighs in at about 325 lbs or so, full of fuel.

I don't have the wheels or front end he does, so I'm surely not running that light.

The seat is instantly more comfortable. I think it's going to be a godsend on my two planned trips this year. I had it installed at a local upholstery shop, to save myself the headache and eliminate the risk of screwing it up. The shop said that the foam and the cover were both a perfect fit, and very easy to install.

The exhaust is noticeably louder, but not obnoxious. The volume control is in your right hand. :) Go easy on the throttle and it's not much louder than stock. Give it a handful, and it barks.

I love the way it looks compared to the OEM exhaust, and it's a heck of a lot lighter. I'd say it's comparable to the weight savings you're going to get with the full Leo Vince system, at a fraction of the price.

I bumped the CO settings on the iBeat to 106% across the board, per Bill's recommendation. The bike runs great.

Does it make more power? I don't know for sure. It sure seems like it. But, it could be all in my head.

If anyone wants to cut a truckload of dead weight off of their 630 and doesn't want to spend $1000+ on an exhaust, call Bill!

Pics:

09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #20
bobbed06 OP
Cavalera Conspirator

Yup, That is an option. The heat shielding leaves a bit to be desired is all. The Leo pipe has the absolute best looking / most functional heat shield I have ever seen for any TE ever made. I guess you get the membership with that one ??

Old 06-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #21
bobbed06 OP
Cavalera Conspirator

Wait a minute? I had fun when I was a kid and I never owned a bike that cost more than $1500.00, it just needed to be faster than Barney Fife!!! Hey at least I only had to dodge ONE bullet!!!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #22
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
If I was even gonna MARGINALLY think about a... a... ugh, 650L, I'd go buy the crappiest 80's, rip seated, paint faded 600 or 650 I could find then spend the difference in what mindless morons with 1, 2 or 3 year old L's think they're worth, in mods and upgrades...

It's only got 1 cylinder... 1 head... 1 con rod, etc.

How hard can it be to build, and with a budget of a few thou?

Example:

$5,000 08 XRL http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/2466289516.html

And $250 86 XR600 http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/2460795822.html

5,000 - 250? = $4,750 budget.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 06-28-2011 at 09:16 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #23
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,007
What abut the older KTM 620 Enduro? Legal (if I'm not mistaken) great motor (some say vibey, until broken in) good if not great suspension (especially compared to the Honda) and they can be had relatively cheap (compared to new) and a good amount of aftermarket support.

Just a thought.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #24
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
What abut the older KTM 620 Enduro? Legal (if I'm not mistaken) great motor (some say vibey, until broken in) good if not great suspension (especially compared to the Honda) and they can be had relatively cheap (compared to new) and a good amount of aftermarket support.

Just a thought.

Well, for starters, they're vibey even AFTER they're broke in...

Stay away from Dell Orto(sp?) carbs and stators and they still have the bad needle bearing tranny bearing, and possibly big-end bearing (not sure when that started) IIRC.

The 620's and 640's have a balance shaft, but all you'll hear on them is they vibrate... Wonder why the AM hasn't stepped up and made a better ballencer?

Oh Loadedagain? Paging Loadedagain?

But alas, popular as they may be... They are old and the market, how ever big it may be, does not fare well with "old" things...

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 06-28-2011 at 03:53 PM Reason: oops, Loadedagain...
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #25
bobbed06 OP
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
If I was even gonna MARGINALLY think about a... a... ugh, 650L, I'd go buy the crappiest 80's, rip seated, paint faded 600 or 650 I could find then spend the difference in what mindless morons with 1, 2 or 3 year old L's think they're worth, in mods and upgrades...

It's only got 1 cylinder... 1 head... 1 con rod, etc.

How hard can it be to build, and with a budget of a few thou?

Example:

$5,000 08 XRL http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/2466289516.html

And $250 86 XR600 http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/2460795822.html

5,000 - 250? = $4,750 budget.
I will agree with you there, XRL owners seem to believe book value need not apply to them. I have found plenty for 5k at the dealers new though, which considering what many want for used examples is almost a requirement to go new.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #26
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
want a more practical bike for daily transportation, aggressive trailing, and the occassional all day or weekender with a Giant Loop.
Nothing made does just this bit. On your list only the KTM is light enough to be any good for aggressive trail riding, but it isn't much more practical as daily transport than your 450 MX'er. Even if something was made that could do it all, you'd have to swap tires between commuter duty and aggressive trail riding.

I'd get some handguards and use the 450 you have for aggressive trail riding and snag the 630 for daily transport and long trips (and then I'd realize that a 450 is too much for trail riding, get a 200cc two stroke for that... not long after I'd realize that 630 isn't that great a street bike and that swapping tires all the time sucks and get a ducati or something fun for the street..) - end result is you need:
200cc two stroke for trails
sporty-bike for the street
your 450 for mx
something like the 630 for long off road rides

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #27
bobbed06 OP
Cavalera Conspirator

Thanks for the insight Bikepilot,
I am starting to believe that I should take the 8k that a premium dual sport will cost and buy a bone stock XRL or DRZ and leave it that way for cheap transportation, because the TE630 will eat my budget completely and a KDX220 or somethin for trailin, and of course keep my 450 for MX. This will leave enough money for me to buy a trailer and hitch for my Toyota so I can haul them everywhere.
If I play my cards right I think I can still stay under budget.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #28
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
That's what I'd do, only for street use I'd even consider a full blown street bike rather than a DS unless your street riding is all city. DS's do nicely in a tight, bumpy city but really aren't great for extended slab time or higher speed freeways.

Without a trailer/hitch how do you get the MX bike to the track?

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #29
bobbed06 OP
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
That's what I'd do, only for street use I'd even consider a full blown street bike rather than a DS unless your street riding is all city. DS's do nicely in a tight, bumpy city but really aren't great for extended slab time or higher speed freeways.

Without a trailer/hitch how do you get the MX bike to the track?
I just sold my truck and kept my FJ because it only had 25k on the odo and my truck was well over 100k miles. My Fj didnt come with a hitch and I never owned a trailer before as I didnt need one with a truck.I am rearranging my transportation lineup, so its all a work in progress currently.

I have ridden on the street for many miles and 15 years, but the texting drivers are just too much and I sold my last street bike on Saturday. I have no interest in riding the interstates as I get so bored it seems like torture rather than enjoyment. Rural roads and 55 MPH speeds along with fire roads will be the closest I get to covering miles which will probably never amount to any more than 400 miles in a day although even that will be rare.

Somewhere in all the years of riding sportbikes and cruisers I lost the fun in riding on the road at all. I need to find a bike that I dont worry about getting knocked over in a parking lot, one that doesnt need cleaning daily, and a bike that I trust will get me home and doesnt leave me stranded somewhere. I have considered a DRZ400S as it can be put on a diet with an E subframe, lighter headlight,lightweight battery and it has a more performance oriented engine than a XRL, along with decent ergos and bodywork.

The DRZ seems to me like a slightly more modernized XRL with better forks. If I install a big bore kit and cams, I believe I can use a tall gear ratio for dual sporting daily and only be a gear change away from a decent performer off road. My decision making process relies soley on what I read, as I dont have any friends that ride off road anymore. They all quit or switched to cruisers. Test rides that once made choosing easy are non existent now.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #30
Thumperama
RIP Husaberg

Oddometer: 165
If it makes any difference, the TE630 is on sale for $2,000 off MSRP. I've even found a few at $5,999. I just put in an order for one. I couldn't pass up such a great deal.
Thumperama is offline   Reply With Quote