User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
LexLeroy OP
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,409
Day Trip to the Little Shepherd Trail

DSBiker called the other day and suggested a 1-day ride to do the southern section of the Little Shepherd Trail between Harlan, KY and Cumberland, KY. I checked the KY DOT map site and it looked like that portion was paved so I decided to take the DL1000. DSBiker would be on his S10.

The trip from Lexington to Harlan was twisty and relaxed. The traffic was light, the rain had stopped and we only got off track once... while I was leading. While the roads were still damp in spots the Pirelli cruiser tires that I had mounted onto SV1000 rims were holding well until we slowed to go through Hyden. What looked like just another damp section of road turned out to be a 50 meter long diesel spill. While I didn't go down I had the bike pretty well twisted up, both to the left and to the right - pretty exciting I thought. DSBiker, behind me a ways, remarked that it didn't look all that bad to him.

We stopped in Harlan for fuel and food before picking up the southern end of the trail. While stopped I inspected the rear tire since the bike had begun to handle "funny" since the rodeo in Hyden. There was a band of slimy-feeling rubber on both sides of the tire between the center and the edges. Guess I'll need to take it easy for awhile.

Here's DSBiker with the bikes, stopped on the trail about halfway between US421 and KY2010. The pavement is about as wide as a bicycle path.

A little farther down the trail we stopped at Stillhouse Overlook for a view to the south. It was hazy with occasional drops of rain.

I need to work on my map reading skills. I glanced at the KY DOT Rural Roads application and didn't see the dashed blue lines that are used to denote gravel so I assumed that the section that we're traveling is almost all paved. Not so - it's gravel north of KY2010. No problem so long as it stays as nice as what's in this picture. Remember my comment about cruiser rubber?

Here's another shot looking to the north as a little sun peeked through the clouds. Eastern Kentucky is as pretty as it gets.

From this point on the road got rougher and more washed out. I had my hands full with the big old DL1000 and its street tires. Every once and awhile DSBiker would stop and let me catch up. At the junction w/ KY160 we decided to head for home now that it was 3:00 PM. Maybe I should have stopped and rested a bit, but at any rate I wasn't paying attention to business and I shortly did a face plant. I was more interested in getting the bike off of the road than in taking pictures, but here's where it happened.

Was the crap that we rode through a contributing factor? Dunno, I'm inclined to write it off entirely to operator error. If I had been entering the corner at a slower speed I would have stayed upright. The tire's not as slick as it was, but it's not tacky either.

DSBiker and a passing motorist helped me get the bike upright and onto the shoulder of the road. A quick damage check revealed that both the bike and I could continue on toward home. Looks like it'll buff right out, huh?

Having my head up my butt protected my brain but I still collected some souvenirs to bring home to show LexWife. That'll buff out just fine as well.

This was big fun, except for the four hour trip home. DSBiker suggested today that pounding down some naproxin as soon as possible after the crash would have made the return trip more bearable.

I want to do the rest of the Little Shepherd Trail to the north of KY160 but I think that I'll probably take FrankenPig, my XR650L, after I rest up a bit.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 06-26-2014 at 05:42 PM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 380
The gravel ought to scrub the rest of that diesel off your tires.

OOPS, missed your edit. Sorry about the get off.

Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote