Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
Dust_ OP
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 183
Aprilia Caponord 1200 Break-in

Hello!

My name's Mario and I have recently purchased a Aprilia Caponord 1200. You can follow my thought process and choice in this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1069494

Now that I bought it, it was time for the funniest part of motorcycle owning: The Break-in

Here she is seating in the dealership, just begging to be ridden:

Home, at last:

I am from Lisbon, Portugal, so bear with me some less well known places! I tried to incorporate a google maps, but it doesn't seem to work, so I'll have to post the links for you to see

Day 1

https://goo.gl/maps/uIE4a

Well, time to wake up early an head to happiness.
Lisbon is kinda of a sad place for motorcycle riders. We have to ride about 200/300km just to see some deserving mountain roads. So off I went direction Marvão!

First stop, time for some beauty shots!

Some more boring roads, just to end up at "Montargil" Dam:

Then followed to "Marvão" mountain, with a beautiful (albeit barren) landscape:

Finishing off in "Covilhã" for the 411km day!
First impresions on the bike: It is a well-rounded machine! It likes to be pushed to the limits, very stable, very capable, twisting the throtlle is pure joy! I liked all riding modes, for different ocasions, but Sport is definitly my favourite
Comparing to my Versys 650, the bigger back tire gives this bike a more secure feel when cornering. Adding the ADD, it makes for some smooth curves!

Day 2

https://goo.gl/maps/v5oTS

This day it was a let-down. It rained, I crossed some pretty bad-shaped roads, traffic, it was the worst! Even so, there are still some pretty pictures to show

Starting good

Then the rain decided to bless the Capo

Somewhere lost in the middle of... nowhere

"Hear me roar" (yes, a game of thrones reference )

A beautiful little village with no more than 5 houses

Driving with a GPS has it's fair share of adventures

Last pic of the day, in "Coimbra"

Despite being an awful day, I still very much enjoyed riding the big twin. It is a really high-revving machine, with me being in 2nd gear at 70-80km/h and not even realizing it. Then I though: "well, that's why it devours fuel... it's the price to pay for hapiness"
In the end of the day, the first "*uck" moment, and it wasn't even riding the bike! When I stopped for the day, the warning light and the EFI simbol came up, flashing. PANIC, cursing and a lot of sweating followed that! After talking to someone with more... experience (well, older at least ) (my father) I just rebooted the bike and revved it a little bit. The warning went away. Nevertheless, a warning sign for some sleepless nights to come (hopefully not, but one does wonder!)

Day 3

Final day!!!!

https://goo.gl/maps/fYUpY

Back home to Lisbon, through the last curvy roads and the flat that is our capital.

Hello there!

A deviation from my route led me up to the sky!

For sheer luck, or maybe fate, I ended up on the fluvial pool, at "Castanheira da Pera", which I had no idea it even existed!

Finishing the day at the last river crossing:

1000km done, a lot more to come

The last beauty shot:

And back home, 1164km after, with an average of 6.4L/100km (though a little high, that was to be expected following the overall reviews of this being a thristy steed), at an average of 61km/h (lots of mountain roads, as break-in demands) and a lot of fun!!!

Overall I am really pleased with my choice. I feel like I have a premium motorcycle, with that italian flair, for a lot less than a Multistrada, and a lot more exclusive than the BMW GS. Is it better than those 2? I believe it isn't, but it was the one that make me happier!

About the bike: I really liked the different riding modes. It does make a difference, not like the BMW or the KTM where I felt almost nothing switching riding modes. Sport is my favourite (go figure!) but Rain is really usefull in busy cities, or in traffic.
ABS was non-existant, despite some harsher-than-normal breakings (knowing that the ABS exists gives you a little more confidence).
Traction control in the 3rd setting (more intrusive) does overeact a little bit (1 or 2 more abrupt accelerations that it kicked in, though I felt in control the whole time). Setting 2 I only felt it on the gravel road. I didn't try setting 1 as I felt setting 2 wasn't even kicking in. I don't ride hard or fast, I like to relax and enjoy the view.
The clutch is TOO hard! I caught an accident on the way home and my arm was sore after 10 min of stop-and-go traffic!

Hope you enjoyed my review as much as I enjoyed riding it! More travels will follow
Old 07-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
i.v.o.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Congrats on the new bike!!! I wish you many thousands of fun and trouble free miles! Also I enjoyed your pictures, some beautiful places you have!
Old 07-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
i.v.o.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Congrats on the new bike!!! I wish you many thousands of fun and trouble free miles! Also I enjoyed your pictures, some beautiful places you have!
Old 07-03-2015, 01:31 AM   #4
andydj31
In Techno we trust...

Oddometer: 154
Welcome on board! I've the same bike and same color….
Great pics and places…
Aprilia Pegaso Cube 650 '01
P.S. Sorry for my bad English!
andydj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:05 AM   #5
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 871
Nice bike and pictures! Enjoy and ride safe.

Numa
Old 07-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #6
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 597
Good looking bike and scenery
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM   #7
NWNative
Not a n00b for long.

Oddometer: 14
Subscribed. I look forward to reading and seeing more! Thanks for posting. 😆
NWNative is online now   Reply With Quote