Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #1081
Citrus32
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyropete View Post
I cant face the prospect of waiting all summer to get one of these.
Are there any users in Ontario or Michigan that would help me balance my carbs for a modest fee?
+1 on renting one in Ontario. I'm in Kingston and have been looking for one of these for a while!
Anyone?
Citrus32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #1082
XFanMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyropete View Post
I cant face the prospect of waiting all summer to get one of these.
Are there any users in Ontario or Michigan that would help me balance my carbs for a modest fee? I have an old but fairly mint R75/7, with freshly cleaned/ rebuilt carbs that desperately needs balancing. I will travel anywhere from windsor to toronto for this.

Just want to ride.

Pete
Pete, I have one and I'm in Brighton MI. If you want to ride over and meet for lunch some where this side of the bridge and balance your carbs you're free to use mine. No fee required but if you want to pay for lunch I won't argue with you

Let me know if that interests you...Scott
Old 05-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #1083
pyropete
n00b

Oddometer: 6
PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFanMan View Post
Pete, I have one and I'm in Brighton MI. If you want to ride over and meet for lunch some where this side of the bridge and balance your carbs you're free to use mine. No fee required but if you want to pay for lunch I won't argue with you

Let me know if that interests you...Scott

Scott

PM sent
pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #1084
200GRLSWC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Well, went to use my Twinmax for only the second time for my 24,000 mile service, and the sensitivity button has no effect.

MFer. Shoulda known when the label clearly states "Made in France".

I don't suppose there's anyone within a couple of hundred miles of Boston with a Harmonizer who'd be willing to hook it to my bike for the few minutes I need to synch things up? I'm thinking I'll just a ride in, hook it up, I'll bring m own 10mm wrenches, and a six pack of your favorite beer.
200GRLSWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #1085
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,370
Dis you make sure your battery in your TwinMax s 'fresh'?

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #1086
200GRLSWC
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
Dis you make sure your battery in your TwinMax s 'fresh'?

JJ
Battery was brand-new bought, DVM said 8.8+ volts.

When set to "low" sensitivity, if I sucked on a tube the needle swung halfway from 0 to 1. At "max" sensitivity, same. Also, unless my bike is already fully synched, trying various sensitivities at RPMs ranging from idle to ~5,000 led to no needle movement whatever. My recollection from the only other time I used it was that the needle basically vibrated back and forth across the zero, the task was to get the vibration centered on the zero (equal on both sides).
Old 05-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #1087
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,370
Using your mouth to create a vacuum usually isn't a consistent enough source to check for proper operation.

And a 'new' battery should measure 9.3+ volts so the battery may be a potential problem with an easy solution (try another battery).

But if you're not getting the needle happy dance at near max sensitivity then something is definitely wrong (duh).

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #1088
200GRLSWC
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for that tip, I'll try the new battery.

Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
Using your mouth to create a vacuum usually isn't a consistent enough source to check for proper operation.

And a 'new' battery should measure 9.3+ volts so the battery may be a potential problem with an easy solution (try another battery).

But if you're not getting the needle happy dance at near max sensitivity then something is definitely wrong (duh).

JJ
Old 05-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #1089
200GRLSWC
Gnarly Adventurer

Actually, I didn't bother with a new battery. For a bit more cost I made myself a home-made mamometer for the throttle body sync. I still plan on getting a Harmonizer as soon as one is available, but given that might not be for months I had to come with some way to finish my 24,000 service without waiting that long.

(And I certainly wasn't going to buy another TwinMax. )

I was quite nervous about the possibility of sucking fluid into the engine, so perhaps I went overboard--in fact, almost certainly so.

In the center of my garage is a floor-to-ceiling metal support column, and I used this as the backbone for my mamometer.

I took 30 feet of 3/8" OD-1/4" ID clear plastic tubing (US$0.35/foot at the local hardware store), and used a sharpie pen to mark the midpoint--that was the bottom of my mamometer.

I did not want to tape the tube directly to the column because I was concerned that would compress the tube at those points and mess up my reading. Instead, I took a half-dozen 3/4" threaded plastic pipe connectors (threading on the outside, inside was smooth), and slipped them over the doubled-over tubing, which fit quite nicely snug but not squeezed (or, if there was any squeeze it was identical for both tubes), and used them as protective collars at the points where I taped the mamometer to the column.

I slid one connector almost all the way down to the sharpie mark, creating a bottom loop for the mamometer. This left me with 15 feet of doubled-up tubing--one for each side/cylinder of the mamometer. I then spaced out the other five connectors atrough 12" to 18" intervals, until all the way to the top of the 8 foot column, at which point the remainder of the tubing draped down to the ground. At each "collar"/connector I used electrical tape or duct tape to hold the connecter (and the tubes within the connector) to the column.

I had purchased a small bottle of red food coloring from the local market, and poured that into a plastic container. Then I used a children's medicine dispensing syringe to suck up the coloring and "inject" it into one of the open ends of the tube. I then added sufficient water so that the water level was about 3' off the bottom of the mamometer. It didn't take much, maybe 30 or so ml of water added to the food coloring.

At that point I did end up with some water "caught" at various parts of the plastic tubing. By smacking/tapping the tubing I could break the water free and get it to flow down into the lower body of my mamometer. This still left me with some water droplets clinging here and there to the inside of the tubing. I let the tubing sit overnight, and the next afternoon it was much better--still a few clinging droplets, but nothing (I hoped) that would interfere with a 1300 cc engine.

I attached the adapter tubes from my TwinMax to the end of the clear hose (the connectors from the TwinMax fit perfectly), and hooked them up to the throttle bodies of my GS Adventure. At this point I was ready to start the engine and see what would happen. I had the bike on the center stand, in Neutral, and I was standing on the left side of the bike, ready to press the start button, and also ready to crush the kill switch if the engine suddenly sucked in all that red water.

I hit the starter and immediately saw one of the water columns rise abruptly--but only about 9". And I never had more than a 9" differential between the two water columns throughout the throttle body sync. Since I still had another 4 feet or so of tubing running up to the ceiling, that was more than enough safety margin--at least for the degree of differential vacuum on my particular bike at this particular service. I imagine an engine with a very badly synched engine could easily suck many more inches of water up either tube.

Using the usual throttle body adjustment technique for an '08 GS I was easily able to match the columns of red water at various RPMs (after, I should mention, letting the engine first run up to temp, with a big box fan blowing on the engine. According to my GS911, the engine temp was about 200 degrees when I started the synch proper, and about 240 degrees when I finished. I don't think the temp gauge on the dash ever got even 1/4 of the way up, but I didn't pay much attention to it as I was using the GS911 for temp info). It was quite easy to get the columns essentially exactly matched at various RPMs.

At that point my two-year-old woke up from her nap, so I haven't had it out for a ride yet, but I have high hopes for a smooth engine after adjusting my rocker arm gap, doing a careful valve adjustment, new motor oil/filter, and new air filter, new spark plugs (all four), and now a careful throttle body synch.

The brake flush, new trans fluid, new final drive fluid, and Wilbers suspension install also shouldn't hurt.

As I said, I still plan on getting a Harmonizer, if only so I don't have to worry about my engine inhaling 30ml or so of colored water, but I thought I'd share one guy's experience going the home-built route until the Harmonizers are once again available.

200GRLSWC screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 02:59 PM
Old 05-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #1090
tpak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Grok -I know there is no list per-se but I'm subscribed and will buy one if I am fast enough on the trigger next time. Just posting up so you can get a sense of level of interest ... as if you need that.
tpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #1091
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,718
Soon... Soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpak View Post
Grok -I know there is no list per-se but I'm subscribed and will buy one if I am fast enough on the trigger next time. Just posting up so you can get a sense of level of interest ... as if you need that.

From 8 days ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grok View Post
I'm having a lot of trouble moving so Harmonizers will be further delayed.

I don't yet have a good estimate when they will be available.

Maybe as late as the first part of August. Hopefully sooner.

Apologies if this has caused anyone any inconvenience.

-Grok

Just FYI...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #1092
irondad01
Irondad01

Oddometer: 10
200GRLSWC, I made a home-made mamometer and used automatic trans. fluid in it . It's also red and easy to see. It might react slower than water and if you suck it in I don't think it would hurt anything, just make the engine smoke until it burned it out. Carl
irondad01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #1093
200GRLSWC
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondad01 View Post
200GRLSWC, I made a home-made mamometer and used automatic trans. fluid in it . It's also red and easy to see. It might react slower than water and if you suck it in I don't think it would hurt anything, just make the engine smoke until it burned it out. Carl
Thanks for the tip--but hopefully by the next time I need to synch throttle bodies I'll have a Harmonizer in hand.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #1094
tpak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
From 8 days ago...
Just FYI...
Dallara
~
Yep, saw that but thanks. I'll kick it old school in the meantime but I like having the best tool for the job over the long haul.

Later.
tpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #1095
rustygardhouse
rusty

Oddometer: 68
Come & gone?

I'm trying to buy one of these. The last I saw on the thread was new supply in June. Now it's the middle of summer.

Did I miss the production run?

If the latest batch has come & gone, how were the lucky few picked?
rustygardhouse is offline   Reply With Quote