User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Panda* OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
The Baltic States

Hi everyone! I'm from Moscow (Russia), and together with my husband we travel on our Yamaha T-Max2008. I decided to combine two different this year trips in one RR called "The Baltic States", in order that would not create a few topics about the same region because Latvia and Lithuania are the countries on the Baltic coast. In Soviet times,these countries were part of the USSR, but after the collapse of the Soviet Union, from 1990- 1991 they are independent countries, and recently they are a part of the European Union. We went for 4 days in Latvia and Lithuania in 3 days, were only in the capitals and surrounding areas, because time was short.

Latvia (Riga and Jurmala).

To the Latvian capital Riga, founded in 1201 by German knights on the southern shore of the Gulf of Riga in Baltic Sea, we traveled from Moscow (Russia) all day long- 1180km. Total trip turned 2360 km. We settled in the hotel and went for a walkin the evening city.

The next day, we have looked more thoroughly Old Town - the historical part of city, the most beautiful and romantic part of the capital.

St. Peter's Church was built in 1209, but during the Second World War was largely destroyed, but later recovered. Near the entrance stands a statue of the Bremen musicians- a gift to the city of Bremen (Germany), sister city of Riga.From the observation platform of the church offers a stunning view over the city.

House of Blackheads. For the first time this building is mentioned in 1334, the house belonged to the Great Guild merchants. Then it belonged to the Guild of Blackheads - the union of unmarried merchants, and in this house they had a club and dormitories. In 1941 it was completely destroyed, but rebuilt in 2001 in honor of the 800th anniversary of Riga.

Cats House. The building was built in 1910.According to legend, the Germans, which led the Guild of merchants did not want to take there the rich Latvian merchant.Then, the merchant set on the towers of his house statues of black cats that were turned back to the building of the Guild, and cats asses looked straight into the windows of the working cabinet of Elder sGuild merchants. After much litigation,the merchant was accepted into the Guild, and cats were turned into a diplomatic position.

The largest Baltic Cathedral, the Dome Cathedral, was founded in 1211.The main attraction of the Dome Cathedral -its organ, built in 1884 and at that time it was the largest organ in the world. Unfortunately, when we were in Riga, the organ was closed for repairs.

Statue of Liberty.

We took a trip to the electric car and went to look the district in the Old Town with houses in the style of Yugentstil (Art Nouveau), built in the early XX century. Guys, this is a fantastically beautiful!

The next day we went to Jurmala, a known resort town near Riga, on the shore of the Gulf of Riga in Baltic Sea.

The most delicious fish soup that I have ever eat!

We visited the Riga Zoo, fairly modest, but we were struck by a large number of peacocks!

Interesting photo. After the demolition of the neighboring house,enterprising Rigans to orient quickly and in the blank wall cut through the windows on the sunny side!

ALL PHOTOS HERE http://photo.qip.ru/users/panda-77/3890822/?page=1
VIDEO http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj7...la-2011_travel

Panda* screwed with this post 06-28-2011 at 01:55 AM
Panda* is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Panda* OP
Gnarly Adventurer

LITHUANIA (Vilnius and Trakai).

The exact year of foundation of Vilnius, Lithuania's capital, is unknown, but in the written sources it was first mentioned in the 1323 as an existing one. From Moscow (Russia) to Vilnius, we also traveled almost the whole day, 930 km (the whole trip was 1905km.), Almost all the way in Belarus was heavy rain and our raincoats did not save us. Well, that in Vilnius hotel was hair dryer, we dry our clothes and went explore the city. Like many cities in Europe, Vilnius Old Town - the historical center.

When we returned late at night in the hotel we came upon avery beautiful church of the Holy Spirit. The interior simply mesmerizing.The next day we also went tothis church, but that night magic was gone.

The next day we continued exploring the city.

Vilnius Cathedral - the spiritual and political center of Lithuania. During the excavations under the cathedral were found pagan altars. In the square before the cathedral is a monument to the founder of the Vilnius -Grand Duke Gediminas.

Gediminas Tower is the symbol of the city and the only surviving of the fortifications of the Upper Castle. On the roof of the tower is an observation deck, and inside the tower- exhibition on the history of the city.

Church of St. Ann. There is a legend that Napoleon, seeing the church of St. Anne, wanted to put it on his palm and moved to Paris. The church is built of brick thirty-three species.

I think this guy came to Lithuania from Italy!!!!!!!

In Vilnius w evisited the Republic of Užupio - quarter, having money, the president and the constitution. Earlier in this area lived poor people but now is a prestigious district, home to artists, architects, designers and other creative personalities.

Of course we did not escape our attention Vilnius TV tower and had lunch in the revolving review restaurant. Full circle, it does for 40 minutes.

We traveled
on a boat on the river Vilna.

The next day, before going back to Moscow ,we visited the town of Trakai, the world-famous for its castle on the lake. The castle was built in the late XIV century, but slowly turned into ruins. Only in the last century began its restoration.

ALL PHOTOS HERE
http://photo.qip.ru/users/panda-77/3898491/?page=1

Panda* screwed with this post 06-27-2011 at 02:17 PM
Old 06-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Panda* OP
Gnarly Adventurer

/

Panda* screwed with this post 06-27-2011 at 02:02 PM
Old 06-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
What an amazing trip, the pictures are great! I particularly like the before and after pictures of Trakai Castle on the lake. I think I could spend an entire day in that place.

Thanks for sharing.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
froden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Very nice! I too particularly like the ones from the restored castle. I'm hoping to do a trip around the Baltic sea later this year. Unfortunately I'm afraid I'll have to skip the Russian parts because of the visa hassle.
froden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #6
Yakima
Whee! Wee Strom

Oddometer: 310
Thank you!
I lived and taught in Klaipeda, Lithuania for two years a long time ago. This brings back good memories.
Labai aciu!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,214
Wonderful. Thank you!

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,866
Brings back memories for me. Thank you.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
Home Brew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Thank you!

Riga is one of my favorite cities! Glad to see it again.
Home Brew is offline   Reply With Quote