Oddometer: 505
MAxi Scooter Comparo article

thought this might be of interest:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/14/103...-Shootout.aspx
Old 06-28-2011, 04:34 AM   #2
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,967
Interesting article, however, I wish they'd picked a writer who was more into scoots.

The "And while there isn’t a whole lot one can measure on a machine that struggles to keep pace with most SoCal soccer moms on the 405 freeway..." sentence gives away his predisposition to scooters.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,641
Interesting article but if you gave the same 4 scooters to a different magazine to compare, you would likely get different results. Bottom line, you need to decide for yourself what you want, not let magazine testers do it. These testers were obviously applying sport bike standards to the scooters. Give the same scooters to a bunch of Gold Wing riders and they would pick the Burgman.
It is also interesting that they automatically assumed that these where the "best" scooters out there, just because they are the biggest (except that they did ignore the SW for some reason). Also they started off by talking fuel economy, then picked some of the least efficient scooters out there. I'll take my SC250 over any of them.

klaviator screwed with this post 06-28-2011 at 04:59 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,972
Wow, the Burgie weighs 50# more than a 1200GSA and doesn't get as good gas mileage.
Didn't expect that.
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
My 07 Silver Wing gets 54 MPG has 26,000 and done so without a problem. I'm thinking there burgman's milage is low. Can anyone speak to this. It seems to me that the burgman should be around 50 MPG.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by windburn View Post
My 07 Silver Wing gets 54 MPG has 26,000 and done so without a problem. I'm thinking there burgman's milage is low. Can anyone speak to this. It seems to me that the burgman should be around 50 MPG.

Its probably due to them and their Sport Bike Standards. I bet their flooring it off every light and stop sign and flying around corners.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Its probably due to them and their Sport Bike Standards. I bet their flooring it off every light and stop sign and flying around corners.

I agree. I've been researching Burgman 650's for a couple of years, and it seems that most get in the high 40's or low 50's.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,972
Quote:
Well, that might explain it.
The folks over at fuelly are getting mid 40s to mid 50s mpg.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/burgman%20650
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,641
Quote:
Actually, flying around corners improves gas mileage since you don't have to use your brakes as much. They probably did spend a lot of time with the throttles wide open. These testers are all used to the power of high performance sport bikes so I'm sure they ran these comparatively slow scooters wide open and then still complained about the lack of power. I think it was an interesting article but I wouldn't buy or not buy one of these scooters based on their results.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
lowbuckrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
So far most of the big scooter reviews I'v read have been done by sport bike riders how think anything less than 1000 cc's is too small. For the most part they just don't get it. I see a lot of the same things when they review adventure bikes. The only non scooter Mag that has done decent scooter reviews is Roadrunner.
lowbuckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,547
Really if they wrote it about used bike instead of new it would matter. UNless your older and well offf your not going to drop 5 grand on a bike. 2 to 3 grand max is my cut off.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:01 AM   #12
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
They really hammered the Scarabeo!

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #13
Somerled
Mountain Warrior

Oddometer: 315
And didn't even mention the Silverwing despite a nice big Honda logo at the upper left of the page. Hmm, there goes that sponsor.

'77 BMW R100/7 with Velorex sidecar, Hannigan faring and windshield
'03 Honda Silverwing 600 FSC with Clearview windshield & vent
'06 SYM HD200 with GIVI 105 windshield
Somerled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
Wow, the Burgie weighs 50# more than a 1200GSA and doesn't get as good gas mileage.
Didn't expect that.

I don't know how they got mileage that bad. I never got worse than mid 40's and 50 + was the norm. And that was on both of the ones that I owned.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
Daboo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
As I read elsewhere, what did you expect from motorcycle riders who are reviewing scooters? They picked the most motorcycle like scooter there.

A lot of us put a priority on things like storage, and gas mileage. That really didn't factor into their evaluation. This seemed like they did a token review of some scooters because their editor told them they had to before they could review the Kawasaki Ninja that was advertised...which is what they really wanted to ride.

I would also expect other maxi-scooters would've been in the review, and they weren't. The Silverwing was one. It would be nice too, to have included the Majesty and Burgman 400. Just because there is a model in the lineup with a bigger engine, doesn't mean the "lesser" models aren't worth looking at.

Chris
Daboo is offline   Reply With Quote