Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #16
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,961
latest attempt. slowly figuring out what seems to work and what doesnt. the camera sitting on top of the helmet is a good perspective but definitely feels slower and less action oriented - lower mounting positions seem better in that respect.

problem with the wide angle gopro is the moment the bike is more than about ten feet away its starting to look pretty small! it would help to have a normal video camera for this but didnt have room in the luggage as this was a three day trip.

B1 screwed with this post 11-08-2011 at 01:17 PM
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,152
That looks like a fun place to play!
Nice work.
Yokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #18
pugsley
Little Man

Oddometer: 635
Here is a video testing some mounts on the bike.....

pugsley screwed with this post 02-03-2012 at 03:22 AM
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
Rashnak
Lorem Ipsum

Oddometer: 9,712
I agree with the OP-

keep it short, tell a story, use lots of different angles.

i would also add that keeping another camera around is great for adding extra photos/video. The gopro is great for up close shots but a different camera can add alot of value for shots that the gopro just cant do.
Rashnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #20
Bluesmudge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Everything said so far has been great advice.
Story is obviously most important. If the video is for an audience that was not on the ride, the video needs to be fast paced. Go easy on the helmet cam stuff, the angles get repetitive really fast. If used sparingly they can become very effective. If its a web video it should be 4 minutes max to have a chance of anyone getting to the end of the video. If your audience was on the ride you can throw these rules out the window.

If you are going to be using slow motion, it almost always sounds better to separate the audio from the slow motion clip and keep it at 100% speed, then J or L cut the slow motion clip with a regular speed clip. Slowed down/sped up audio usually sounds terrible.

Also, use audio transitions between shots of motorcycles, the different volumes and frequencies between engine sounds is jarring and makes the cut or transition very obvious. You can also use L/J cuts here or just ditch the audio and use pre-recorded engine sounds that span multiple clips.

Here is a video I did that has good examples of audio editing. The video is a little long because the audience was the people on the ride and everyone wanted a chance to see themselves but it might be worth watching until the 7:30 minute mark.

And here is one that shows how much having a story can keep the audience engaged for a longer period of time. A little bit of work to get a shot of a rider explaining the ride can go a long way to make the riding footage mean something.
Bluesmudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #21
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 300
Thanks for the advice...I had to go look up J cuts and L cuts...

How was the map animation done in the Giant Loop video?

Hot Stuff screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 11:39 AM
Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
Alloveroz
RaceRecall

Oddometer: 13
Video Recording, Editing Questions and Tips

I've been involved with sports video production for a few years now and thought it would be good to start a thread for people to post questions, tips and tircks of recording, camera mounting, editing and posting. Any questions, please fire away?

Alloveroz screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 03:35 PM Reason: spelling
Alloveroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #23
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 300
Still looking for an answer to my question two posts ago...I like how they showed the map with the line being drawn on it in real time. Would love to use that effect.
Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #24
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmudge View Post
And here is one that shows how much having a story can keep the audience engaged for a longer period of time. A little bit of work to get a shot of a rider explaining the ride can go a long way to make the riding footage mean something.
yep, got a bit bored with the old editing so been getting a bit of dialogue happening to make the videos more interesting. but trying to get good production values out of the earlier gopro camera sucks a bit, especially the audio as it spikes a lot and needs a fair bit of editing....

B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #25
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,871
Less is always more...

90% of the home "go-pro" moto shows I've ever viewed, you could have knocked out/edited anywhere from 60 to 80% and they would have been every bit as entertaining yet maintain the ability to hold the viewers attention (It takes a really good piece riding/story/video to keep my attention for more that 5 to 6 minutes... most of the typical 15 minute youtube documentary's just illicit a yawn after they're not even a third of the way through...)

While continual minutes of single trail footage etc. may document in vivid detail a great memorable ride that the film/rider experienced themselves... for other viwers, it can get pretty mundane fairly quickly. Possible exceptions are if the pilot is someone like Shane Watts blasting thru the woods, Chad Reed marauding a national outdoors MX track or some Baja pro scorching through the desert whoops... but even then, only for maybe a minute at a time... max.

So my only comment would be to edit voraciously, keep only the absolute best, most interesting/spectacular bits (or funny incidents/anecdotes) and mix it up as much as possible, in this day and age of youtube and Vimeo everything, if you can keep the viewers attention for 6 to eight minutes, you've done well!

By way of a compliment, you can definately see a progression in your video's between the first attempts and the later stuff... keep it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 07-26-2012 at 12:58 PM
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #26
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,688
If I can just add to the mix I thought your last vid B1 was a hoot and my tip is that blond guy on 690 has it all and boy can he ride so make sure you use people of his nature in vids !

Beer'o'clock Baz screwed with this post 07-26-2012 at 02:06 PM
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #27
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,785
needs more boobs
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:28 AM   #28
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
needs more boobs
We have a winner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:45 AM   #29
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
needs more boobs
Old 07-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #30
footloose
and fancy free.

Oddometer: 217
I know bugger all about camera angles etc. but I will tell you what I really liked about Adventure riding with SNAIL TRAILS.
It was a pleasure to listen to the relaxed music track whilst watching the video. Far to many videos have the most obnoxious music, if the video is really good then I will turn off the sound but more often than not, they lose me in the first thirty seconds.
Nice, low key narration. Clear diction in quite an easy listening Australian accent.
Perhaps more could have been said describing the riding area and time of year.
The focus on the fact that there were plenty of women joining your rides, something missing in so many other bike videos. I liked the instruction side showing that it wasn't all about blasting through the bush at high speed, perhaps you could have a more experienced women rider acting as an instructor in a video.
All up, I quite enjoyed the video and had no problem watching it.
I know that I have focused on this one video but I hope that it gives some idea as to what would work in future videos for me at least.
I lay awaiting the approach of sleep, watching the constellations swing across the sky. Did I sleep that night - or was I caught for a moment into the ceaseless rhythm of space? Blank on the Map. Eric Shipton.
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote