User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2011, 04:40 AM   #1
abhibeckert OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Bird strike

On the way to work yesterday, riding at 100kph, a bird flew into my face. I didn't see it, just riding along and suddenly *smack* to the side of my face, then a few seconds of seeing stars, then i was fine apart from a watering eye for the next 15 minutes or so. There was a small brown feather caught in my googles when i arrived at work.

Dunno what type of bird, but it was a big ****er. Felt like someone laid into me with a baseball bat!

My helmet (Arai VX-Pro3) and the left side of my googles took most of the impact. The goggles are a bit old with slightly worn padding, so the bone to the left of my eye is a still bit sensitive the next day, but no visible bruise. Not painful, just annoying. I hope it doesn't take too long to heal.

I came out of it fine, but what a shock! You will never see me ride at highway speeds with an open face helmet or sunglasses for eye protection. I think it was probably hard enough to knock me out if I had an open face helmet.

There was no warning at all, I didn't see it coming.
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
bdx
Wheeeee!

Oddometer: 163
Took a small bird in the shoulder a couple days ago at about 50mph. I thought I had been shot. LITERALLY. The severity of the impact of small fluffy things is always surprising.

Somebody's gonna have to go back and get a shitload of dimes.
bdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
Dash2
Always Learning

Oddometer: 106
i took a bird to the face coming back from a holiday weekend on I-95 going 70 mph. was wearing my shoei qwest but had the visor up and sunglasses on. was just like you said, never saw it, felt like a baseball bat. needless to say the visor was down the rest of the trip.
Dash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Daleah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
no helmet?

I always wonder about bird and bug strikes when I see people tooling down the interstate with no helmet or goggles, just sun glasses.

a bird to the face could really do a lot of damage.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Treedguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,064
Birds are no joke.

From last summer.
Quote:
BLOOMINGDALE TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) - An 18-year-old motorcyclist died Monday afternoon when he was struck in the chest by a turkey buzzard.
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...s-motorcyclist
Treedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
I took an 8 piece bucket to the gut last week...
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post

That's a long recovery. Good luck.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
Was that Extra Crispy or regular bird
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
While in florida on my ride from Indy I got hit by a dragonfly in the leg, stung like fire, it felt like a rock hit me and I was only doing 30-35 mph.
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
campsitepoacher
Mr. n00b to you

Oddometer: 17
I've not had a bird strike yet, at least not the bird itself. Just last week though I scared the shit out of a bird... literally. It was a mess. All over the front of the bike and some on my helmet that came over or around the windscreen. Glad I had a visor. He was a healthy bird and had eaten a large meal recently.

As far as real bird strikes go, I think we've all had (or will have) some close ones. I used to never wear a helmet when I was younger and had moved from a mandatory helmet law state to a helmet free state. Ah.... the freedom. Now I've gotten over it and wear a helmet all the time. Its a matter of how fast I'm going as to what helmet I choose. If I'm going to the grocery store or just out for a short putt on my old bike I'll wear the shorty with glasses 'cause I'm not going to go very fast. If I'm going on a road trip or on the interstate then I'll take the full face.
campsitepoacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,226
Some sort of white egret-looking bird lifted off right in front of me yesterday. I was accelerating through about 25mph, so didn't slow. As I was gaining on his 6 o'clock, I got close enough to see his skinny head & long beak rotate over his left wing to see what was pursuing him (me). We made eye contact. He banked hard right before I could switch to guns.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,226
Not a bike, but an interesting bird strike nonetheless. C-130 circuit breaker panel. Un-helmeted pilot.
Attached Images

Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
teomannaskali
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
? hit a really small bird while doing 160kph. Took the hit on my upper right arm.

Luckily i saw yhe bird about 2 secs before impact. So i was fully clenched. And it kindof bounced off. (i did not absorb full kinetic energy of bird) still felt like someone had punched me full power.
teomannaskali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
CDNbiker
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 499
About two years ago, I was on a Yamaha Vino going flat out, maybe 55 kph. A bird flew past me and hit the front of the scooter. Scared the shit out of me and it felt like I hit a dog. Got home and had to wash the blood off the bodywork. Even at only 55 kph I would not want that thing hitting my face. I still use an open face helmet on my TU250 if I'm running errands around town but if I'm going above 50 I always wear a full face helmet. Hell it hurts when you get a bug in the face at speed; WTF do you think a BIRD would feel like?
Old 06-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #15
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
In the middle of Tincup, CO, going all of maybe 30mph, and some little bird swooped across the road and hit me in the face hard enough to knock the face shield clean off my helmet. I saw it coming, but it was unavoidable. I can't even imagine what that would be like on the interstate.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote