User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #31
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,161
Canyon de Chelle, South Rim

We planed to spend a full day riding the south Canyon Rim looking at the beautiful red Canyon and it's cliff dwellings. We left in the morning for the ride along the rim. It's roughly 20 miles out with a half dozen view sights from the rim and one that allows you to walk down into the canyon.
Here are scenes from the South Rim. With the north rim included there is about 40 miles of canyon bottom with a bunch of tillable land for crops. There is a ruin in that alcove on the left
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Indians still live and work the land down there. The park services runs all sorts of guided tours, taking care not to bother the residents....often thru an active stream, by the way. It's not cheap though. Ruins in the far wall.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

One of the ruins called the 'White House' allows you to visit. The walk is just over 2 miles total with a 700 ft elevation change. It's a tester.
Here we start down...
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

The trail is interesting. Nip waving for the folks...
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

A second tunnel....
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Finally at the bottom
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Sometimes there is a lot of water, and a bridge is required.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

We round a wall down there and are greeted with these Indians trying to make a living. It was the last thing that I expected, but I don't blame them...money rules.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

There's the White House, and look at that humongous cliff.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

That's as close as we could get....gotta respect how fragile that stuff is, as well as how many people want to see it.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Nip and I tried to see the hand holds and path that the Indians used to get to the second level for some time. Later a ranger told us that the bottom level was five stories high when folks were living here. We felt kinda dumb after that.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

....and I was there.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

......We start back up the hill...There are a few benches in a bit of shade along the way. You feel pretty good sitting on one of those benches. Then another geezer comes along but you're still sitting there. They go on by.
Well, payback is hell at the next bench, and those folks that just passed you by are sitting there on the bench that you would die for.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Our trail is gradual and winds around a lot, very gradual decent. We watched a pair of teen age kids just taking a direct route down the hill like this picture. They said they had to tend the sheep after school. They didn't even know the hill was there.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

We finished out the day running out to Spider Rock. This rock has been in many commercials. I think one had a jeep on top of it. My camera ran out of battery so go here to see Spider Rock. It's the third picture down.
http://www.sacredlandtours.com/naztours.html

Back at camp we prepared hamburgers for dinner.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Alcohol stoves performing as hoped...
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Fed well, we went to bed happy. Tomorrow we'd head out the North rim to see the sites and then head for Albuquerque. Taos is in the distance. I've never been there.

See you in the morning.....
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #32
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdFan View Post
The pictures are absolutely breathe taking. A trip to that area is in my future.

You also have a most enjoyable writing style, a fun read.
Thanks, JD. Get thee self to Indian Country soon as you can. It's remarkable country.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 07-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #33
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Moving on to ABQ

Today's route

View Larger Map
I've dabbled around Albuquerque in the past, but not near enough. So today we went out along Canyon De Chelle's north fork. We spent till 11am looking at more rim shots of the beautiful Canyon.
Here's another ruin....
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Indians lived here long before the Spanish of Coronado's time. And of course this was Mexico's land up till little over a 100 years ago, so the Indians and the Spanish have had a long running battle over the years. Even the French, who ruled Mexico for a while got in their licks at the Indians. It's no wonder the Indians sot out hard to get at places to live.
There's a park plaque of a dwelling that is call 'Two Fell' along the cliff top. It's a small alcove some 50 feet from the rim. Story has it that some Spanish soldiers had gotten into the alcove to do a bit of massacring, and one soldier was surprised by an Indian woman that caught him not looking. she knocked him off the ledge. The 'Two Fell' 500 ft to the canyon floor.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Current Indian hogan down there.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

After we left the CdeC we travels on the couple hundred miles thru Window Rock and Gallup to Abq. There was a lot of photo worthy scenery, but I had trouble with my camera as I shot while riding, and couldn't look at the shots that I took. I didn't know that the camera was malfunctioning.

We arrived in ABQ around 5pm. It had been running in the High 90 degrees. We decided that it was motel time. We'd last showered 5 days ago in Fredonia. It was time to clean up and catch up on the Net. The night in the motel was well deserved........
p.ratfab@gmail.com

Ratman screwed with this post 07-03-2011 at 09:01 AM
Old 07-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #34
tsavo sam
rider of the blue gnu

Oddometer: 21
Great ride report. Good luck in your travels and keep the rubber side down.
tsavo sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #35
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Bandelier Natl Park and Taos

This is the ABQ/Taos area, and where We/I traveled for the next several days. You have to zoom out and move the map around a bit.... I haven't quite leaned how to get the size map I want zoomed in and centered properly. I'm a work in progress. LOL

View Larger Map
p.ratfab@gmail.com

Ratman screwed with this post 07-03-2011 at 05:25 PM
Old 07-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #36
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Bandelier Park

That morning we abused the motel for their free breakfast and coffee, and prolly got out of there by 8am. First we headed over to long time biker friends Steve and Linda who lived on the north side of town.
It was hard to get past their 4 nice bikes in the garage. A '98 ST1100 with 16000 (for sale, PM me for info), a Veradero, a KLR, and Steve has a nice liter Sport bike.
In spite of all those nice bikes they still talk to me. It was great to see them again, but I had ulterior motives. They both know the local roads from a moto point of view.
They got their maps out over a fresh pot of coffee, and we talked roads from ABQ to and around Taos. They routed us on the little roads where the things to be seen were. It worked out very well.
We found out that they are eager to get relocated to Colorado where they bought a few acres last year. Steve is retired and Linda needs to find a good Job up there. They figure sometime around next spring.
We were on the little roads on the way north on 550 then 4 by the Caldera and past Bandelier Park.
On the way, hardly 30 miles out of town, we stumbled into these hot spring like deposited.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

In general we just tooled up the road looking at olden times, and great twisties in the mtns. It was a great day and we were high enough that the temps were moderate.
There were big fires in Northwestern AZ and NM but the smoke that was bad earlier in the week wasn't bad while we were there.
Not far into the mountain we stopped at a view point over looking 'the Caldera'. A caldera is a huge earth crust explosion usually. In this case it's a bowl 10 miles wide and 15 miles long. This one is grassy with no trees. It's protected from hunting and has a large herd of Elk out there.
If you noticed the little animals at all, a mile or more out there, you'd think it was cattle, but signs will correct you if you read them.
They are still little even with my 10 power zoom.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Some other bikes pulled up while we were there. One of them on an FJR said, "I've seen you and that trailer rig on ADVrider". He took a hard look at it up close, thinking that pulling a DS bike with him to Alaska later this summer interested him.
We moved on. Next we passed the entrance to Bandelier Park. I wasn't going to stop thinking it was a day use place with camping. Nip hauled me down and said that we should go there as he'd been there, and it was a good deal more than I expected.
As we entered the Park the Ranger asked if I was going down to the lower level...if I was, I couldn't take the trailer down there. Huh?? OK, I found a place and parked it, then we went the several miles down to the Visitors Center slash gift center.
I'm really glad we stopped at the park as there were major ruins and cliff dwelling down there.
Here's the major Round House. It was surrounded by probably hundreds of cliff residences. Many of which were hollowed out soft rock rooms.
These pictures will explain.....
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Cliff hollowed out dwellings. The cliffs even look soft.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

There was also lots of masonry housing at the base of the cliffs a few stories high.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Perhaps the most complete of all the ruins.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

The holes show where roof beams were plugged into the wall for stories no longer in existence.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

After leaving Bandelier we enjoyed curves all the way to Penasco where we had dinner.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Evening approached. We needed food and a campground about the time we rolled into Penasco. There was a small Mex Food trailer on the right.
The place wasn't much but the food was good.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I asked the owner where I could take a wizz. He said to go out behind the dump truck around back....my kind of place for sure.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

There were a couple Mex seniors there when we got there. We asked about camping. The eager one said sure, go thru town make a turn and go a couple miles to a National forest campground.
I tried that and got about a mile out of town on a dirt road....hummm .....this can't be right. I stopped and asked some Indian/mexicans at a ranch where the campground was. They said it was a few miles further on that dirt road.
I elected to go back to Pavement and look for a campground over there which we found inside of 10 miles. We had camp set up by 7:30. I don't think I lasted to 9pm before my lights went out.

Red River, Wagon Mound, Springer and more tomorrow......
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 07-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #37
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Taos Country

We woke to more wonderful weather. The nights are cold at altitude. Nip is on the verge of being cold. He's resorted to sleeping with all his clothes on including his long undies. Complicating his sleeping is a leak in his permarest mat.
Finally we soaped his mat up and found his leak and put tire patch cement on the hole which stopped the leak. Nip was now hopeful of better nights sleeping to come.
There is a 100 mile figure 8 couple of loops in the Taos Mtn for a great ride of the area. We would do most of that today.
Here we are at a historic building just outside of Penasco...Nip and his Harley make a great model.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

We stopped at Kristi's Kafe, near Mora, for breakfast. It was a good choice. Good food and good quantity. By the time we finished the temp had warmed to perfect.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Lots of open country
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Lot's of old ranch houses/barns returning to dust....
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Nip follows along passing another old relic of a building. We went north from Mora.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

The folks have time for their churches up there.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Back to the relics...
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I have great respect for these guys. Looks like fun if you can just subtract the pain in the legs.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Springer NM is east a bit. I needed to go there as my last name is Springer. A true adventurer had to go there. To that end we took 120 east. I hadn't noticed that a bit of it was dirt, but only about 15 miles.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

We went up to about 9000 ft, and saw a Cinnamoned colored 200 lb Black bear who was all about getting the hell away from us. That was cool with us. I'd have a hard time doing a quick u-turn for an escape.
Shortly we regained pavement, but at the hotter high planes level of 5000 ft.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Look at those blue skies and cotton ball clouds.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Wagon Mound next......
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 07-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #38
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Wagon Mound and Springer NM

The 25 miles out to Wagon Mound was sweet. Lots of decaying old ranch building as almost all the old small towns along a freeways (in this case I-25) are drying up.... Still they have a charm all their own.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Photos often lose their sharpness when you shoot from the saddle....talk about distracted driving.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I love a red barn......
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

the ride was complete with antelope......
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

We stopped at a convenience store for sodas to help with the new found heat of the Praire. Oh....it's Sunday and small town America may be closed. Today was that day. Wagon Mount school, across the street, was good sized.
From Drop Box

We rode 25 miles north to Springer....It was another town bypassed by I-25. That kills the commercial aspect of a town which soon religates the town to hardly more then residential....with some quaint older downtown buildings.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

We stopped at the town museum...they had a tribute to a fallen soldier from last year, RIP.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I'll bet the Cozy Motel could tell some stories about the good old days, but those days have faded into the past.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

We had spent enough time down here in the heat, and I had seen the town of Springer. This was a far east as we'd go on this trip.....it was all west from here. We headed toward Eagles Nest back on the Taos figure 8.
We found a place to eat in Eagles nest. It was kinda an upscale restaurant, but their country fried steak burger was huge and inexpensive.
I'll remember this place as we had a 15 or 16 year old waitress. She was actually the dishwasher, but her older sister, the real waitress had let her handle us.
We were the second customers that she'd ever waited on. She was cute, and made a lot of rookie mistakes, but still she was a highlight of our day.
A nice red bike sat out front....
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

We moved on to Red River. Our first stop was at the CofC building. It was closed but their Wifi reached to the shaded tables out front.
I wanted to check mail so Nip went for an hours ride, and I fired up my netbook. When I was finished I wandered around out back and found the original Snowmobile.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Nip came back...we went to gas up. There was a nice air supply there so Nip took the time to check and air up his tires. I noted that he had a time getting the air chuck to seal on his tires valve stems.
Soon we were on the road.....it was about 5pm. I'd been watching the map and thought that we would soon run out of FS campgrounds....like in 10 miles or so. Nip thought it was too early to camp. Yeah it was early, so we continued
We road on to Questa and made the proper left turn in town. As we left town, Nip who was leading made an out of the ordinary stop on the road's shoulder. Whas up....I wondered.
Nip said that his rear tire suddenly went flat...WTF. Sure enough it was dead flat. What to do now. A guy and gal walking told us that at the last Maverick station, just a 100 yards behind us, they had a tire bay and would fix that tire. No crap....how's that for luck?
Nip wobbled the bike back and the store owner who ran the tire part came down to work on our tire problem. Apparently when the tire was installed with a steel stem it wasn't tightened enough, and when Nip had trouble airing the tire up he had knocked it so that it leaked.
Our new best friend, the Maverick station owner, was able to get it tight, and within a half hour it was all aired up and ready to go.
We asked about campgrounds on down the road toward Taos. They said there were none so we back tracked to a campground a few miles back, and set up for the night.
Nip enjoyed a much better nights sleep with a mat that held air.

Tomorrow we would see the legendary Taos.........
p.ratfab@gmail.com

Ratman screwed with this post 07-04-2011 at 12:34 PM
Old 07-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #39
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Taos

We had our coffee in camp next to the creek that passed by our campground. We looked forward to Taos.
Taos was only 20 miles away. After trying to get breakfast in Questa and finding everything closed on Monday...or not open yet, we just soldiered on to the McDonnalds in Taos.
Traffic was a bit of a clog for three of four blocks downtown. There was lots of art for sale along the streets as well as galleries.
I had no idea of what Taos would be like, but it was clearly up scale. Up scale is good, just not for me.
Across from Micky D's was a custom motorcycle shop. We went in for a visit. Nip was more interested in the cruiser items inside.
Turns out Taos is 2 towns. The old Taos Indian Pueblo, and the commercial Taos that has grown up a couple miles away. The Indians are trying to maintain the old village ways with lots of booths and tables to sell Indian crafts and jewelry.
I think hard times have hit the Indian vendors as well as the rest of us. I'd heard there was a charge of 8 dollars just to get into the Pueblo. If so, there's no longer a charge as they don't want to drive people away.
On this day (Monday) there were only 5 or so tables and those were folding up by 1pm. There were Indians on top of the houses yelling a traditional chant. We were told there would be an Indian dance later.
It just wasn't our cup of tea. Although in the beginning....50 to 75 years ago....Taos Pueblo was a hell of an authentic Indian Village. There might have been a couple thousand inhabitants. Indians still live in the mud/adobe dwelling.
The houses now sport electricity and stove pipes sticking out of the roofs. It all seems a bit of a fleece job of the tourists. An hour in Taos and I'd seen enough. In all honesty I may have been getting tired from traveling every day.
I wanted to start working my way back to Dolores Co for the biker meetup next Thursday. Nip on the other hand had been trying to connect with a high school buddy that lived down east of Santa Fe a little south of I-25.
We agreed to separate. Nip would go south and I'd go east. Goodbyes were said, and then we were alone.
I had to go a mile north to find Hwy 64. I gassed everything up before I left town. I spotted a Natl Forest on the map some 50 miles away. There appeared to be camping there near El Rito. I was all over that.
I had scarcely got 10 miles out of town when I discovered, purely by accident, the Rio Grande George. What a grand surprise....
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Of course the Indians had a large crafts concession on the east side of the river. That's a good distance down there.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

just after the bridge, I turn south toward El Rito. El Rito is an old town...recently most of it's downtown has closed up. El Llano Bar sells some convenience store items and liquor....and there is a 15 foot wide Mex restaurant left in town....later I found a library.
They have to go 30 miles to get gas....Matin's general store closed a couple years ago.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I found the NF free camping not far from town and settled down for a couple days. I pumped up my air mat and got comfortable.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I had a few hours to kill so I got my Tony Hillerman Indian novel out and started storing up some energy. I had plans for tomorrow.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I had a little camp fire later...it was probably against the law....and went to bed about 9pm.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag
p.ratfab@gmail.com

Ratman screwed with this post 07-04-2011 at 08:16 PM
Old 07-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #40
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,551
Pete, I'm glad you got to ABQ...I spent a couple years there just after university. Didnt see nearly enough of the area, but I did go up to Santa Fe a few times...loved it there.

anyway, a good ride, a good camp and a Tony Hillerman novel...you got it made my friend...

keep up the good reports

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #41
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
anyway, a good ride, a good camp and a Tony Hillerman novel...you got it made my friend...

keep up the good reports
Yeah, sion........I was pretty much in hog heaven. Worth noting: When I pulled in to the free camping area of the Carson Natl forest. I took the first campable site that I saw. It turns out that I was the only one camping anywhere around there that I saw, and within a 1/4 mile there were many more better sites that even had tables.

I was a little too eager to camp.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 07-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #42
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Carson National Forest Ride

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I made coffee in the morning heating water with my alcohol stove. I must have brought 8 or 10 stoves to try out my latest designs. Of note is that tin can with all the holes in it on the seat.....that one burns twigs or balled up paper.
I usually put a handful of twigs in the can, and add a splash of alcohol for fire starter. The twigs are free and it burns in a breeze unlike alcohol stoves....and you can add more twigs at anytime.
My IC map showed a bunch of dirt roads in the area. I figured to give the DR a workout today. Looked like a 100 miles of forest roads in the area.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

There were a few relics of the past.......
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

A family of beavers had been busy in the area.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Note the trees stumps in the middle of the pond.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

These beavers were very busy...kinda over achievers.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

These stumps were 16" or 18" thick.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I took a little video today....please ignore the thumb. Note that the road is not challenging...just right for me or anyone with a big Adventure bike.
I had chosen to go to Canjilon some 30 miles away. I didn't have a full tank when I left so I needed to gas up there.
I took a side road out toward '15 springs'. I never saw the springs but scenes like this one were all I needed to make the side road worthwhile.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I got as high at 9500 ft at Canjilon Lakes.....
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

The other lake
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Canjilon was a nice little town, but no store of any kind. I had to go out to 84 and north a few miles to Anthony Martin's Maverick store/bar/gas station. Anthony was a pleasant guy so I had a couple drinks with him.
Anthony had a Maverick station with some old out building. He showed me a brand new Corvette and a show Harley in one of them with a new pickup out front. Yes Anthony, behind me was doing ok. Nice guy....
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I got back to the ride and reentered my route back at Canjilon. I'd take the southern route back to my camp at El Rito.
Not far south of Canjilon my DR ran out of fuel. I knew it was fuel starvation as I couldn't drain any fuel out of the float bowl via it's drain. I figured it must be another booger in the float needle....damn.
Well if a booger can flow into the needle then I should be able to suck on the fill line and get it out of there. I took the fuel line loose from the tank and gave it a few good sucks. The fuel began to flow out of the float bowl drain....and more to the point was that the DR started and I was able to finished the ride.
Somehow I lost all the rest of the pictures of the day. But no matter, it was just more beautiful mountain forest scenes.
I finished the circuit at about 1:45. I was in time to get a seat at Farlito's 15 ft wide Mexican cafe in El Rito before they went to siesta at 2:pm. Damn good food.
Cody was an engaging young man doing waiter duty. He was born and raised in Long beach Ca. I've no idea how he got to this BFE small town. He was doing online courses to get into the computer game business. I can't imagine what that entails. Cody told me of the free wifi at the library down the road a couple miles.
The wifi tip was great....after lunch I went to the Library and spent an hour on one of their computers. Good stuff.
About 4:30 I was back at camp. I stumbled around there for a while...I'd finished my Hillerman book....what to do, what to do.....
Well there was another forest road that went 15 or so miles over to Vallecitos where it connected to a paved road to Canon Plaza....where'd that name come from, I'll never guess.
The new forest road was cool, as they all are. It went up for a while...I passed a bicyclist. I slowed as I went by and asked him where he was going. He gave me a weird look and said 'Canada'. Wow, I thought, and rode off.
A few miles later I came on another bicyclist. I matched his speed and again asked where he was going. He was more talkative.
I found out that he and the other biker were in a 15 man race from Mexico to Canada along the Continental Divide Trail. Ah soo....now I know why the first guy looked at me weird.
This guy, Russ Mcbride, had broken a petal in Abq and it took a day to get his bike fixed. Because of that he said he was fresh, and would ride another 6 or 7 hours today, about 180 miles for the day. I learned that I could track them at the 'Tour Divide race' tracking page.
I did track him for the next week. somewhere near the Montana border Russ was listed as scratched. I'll alway wonder what happened to him. Maybe he was eaten by a bear.
I rode on, and not far away I ran into a biker with a trailer who was from Minnesota. He was just out here kinda following the bike race and testing himself as he might try this race one day.
He had time to talk so I learn a lot about what was going on. Pretty interesting stuff. 15 riders had started out from Antelope Well on the Mex border racing north, and 75 guys had started out at the Canadian border heading south. As we talked, I began to appreciate gasoline all the more.
I continued on to Canon Plaza and a few miles beyond, then I turned around and back tracked to camp passing all my new bicycle friends.
Back at camp I had a bowl of Ramen noodles and finished up a bag of chips for dinner.

I would leave my little paradise in the morning.....
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 07-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #43
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

The Apache reservation

View Larger Map

I broke camp by 10am. I was in no hurry. BTW, there should be a law against being on tour and in a hurry. I went by the Library....it wasn't really open but a geezer was there doing something so he let me in for a web session. He was a husband of one of the ladies that I met yesterday at the library. He said that she told him that a mtn man was in there yesterday.
I reckon I needed some house breaking and a clean up.

Anyway I got out of El Rito before noon. I had about 3/4 tank of fuel....I figured I was in good shape gas wise, but I had to remember that the DR was low so I couldn't count on that for much gas.
I drove up to Tres Piedres, no gas there.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

It would be 60 more miles east on 64 before gas could be found. I didn't know if I could make the sixty, and I wasn't sure that the next town had gas as it's map letters were the same size as Tres Piedres. I elected to go back 30 miles to Taos for gas.
It was just as well that I did because that took me past/over Taos Mesa where all the Earthships were built. Earthships are weird ultra green houses that I've seen in pictures. There must be 25 of them on that Mesa....most too far away for camera shots. They are all similar to this one. See the others in the back ground?
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

As I passed the Rio Grande Gorge the vendor were out in full force.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Now I was back to heading west on 64 ultimately with Bloomfield or Aztec as the goal for today, Wednesday.
Hwy 64 was a beauty. It went up to 10500 and was spectacular with both scenery and road surface.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I gassed up in Tierra Amarilla before I cut across the Apache Res at Lake Heron
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

This route took me between Heron and Vado lakes, then it would spit me out on a dirt road as I entered the Apache Res.
The Indian Road started out poorly, and I was worried that I might get into some soft sand, but that wasn't the case. Let me say here that the big tires on the trailer let it roll easily in sand
I wound through a beautiful canyon. The road got better and better till I was again on pavement. I breathed a sigh of relief and began to enjoy the ride again.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

This village looked like summer shacks bay a lake on the Res.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I spent the rest of the day marveling at the landscape naturally, but more than that at the amount of Oil drilling Gobernador to Bloomfield and north to Aztec.
I arrived in Bloomfield at about 6pm, and looked for a motel room, but there were none. I moved on to Aztec and found a nice room at the Enchantment Inn.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I retired after McDonald for dinner and used the free wifi for a few hour before going to sleep. I had less than a hundred miles to go tomorrow. I'd have to find a scenic route.......
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 07-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #44
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Scenic ride to meet the boys

It's Thursday. A few riders from all over Colorado, and at least 4 other states will be represented in Dolores tonight. Most have left this morning and a few like me left days ago. We would all have a few beers together tonight. I looked forward to it.
But first I had to spend at least 8 hrs riding in order to not get there too soon. I perused the map and found a road that went out past Navajo Dam then up to Bayfield, and north to another Velocitos before going to Durango.
I followed the San Jaun River east toward the dam. The rivers were full all over as the snow continued to melt in the mtns.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

That's the dam. The spillway is on the left looking like my road. But no the road is that diagonal line going up the dam to the left. I'd never seen a road built on the back of a dam like that.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

The lake is huge and goes for 15 or twenty miles back into the hills.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I rode on to the Valecitos area. It was beautiful. It had lakes, luscious green fields, and snow covered Mtns. I was glad that I rode that way today.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

It had only been a 100 mile ride to Durango. I rode thru town and got out of town without trouble. While I was riding thru town I was spied by a young ADVrider that was riding in Calif a couple years back. He ended up staying in an adjacent condo unit to mine.
We introduced ourselves and actually went on a couple local rides together. He was freshly graduated from college as an engineer and was looking to relocate from Michigan. As it turned out he couldn't find a job, and he went back to MI. I figured that we'd probably never run into one another again.
His avitar is xdbx. I didn't see him but he called my cell phone and left me a message that he'd seen me pass thru town....there aren't many bikes pulling a bike. He could hardly be wrong.
It really is a small world. I sure hope that he managed to escape from MI. I liked Daniel.

I set my course toward Dolores. Soon I was there, and had camp set up in the Dolores River Campground and RV park, with the Dolores River less that 50 yards away.
A couple of my riding buddy showed up a little later. LD walker on the right and Dave Snell, left. These boys were from over around Westcliffe Co.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

We'd do some riding tomorrow....
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 07-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #45
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

At this point I've done 2 weeks of reporting with pictures adnauseum.

The ADV stats show 2000 watchers. I can't tell if you guys are clicking in for a look and deciding the report is not for you, or if there is a core of viewers who keep returning for the next installment.
I'd appreciate you all letting me know.......TIA.

From Odds and ends
p.ratfab@gmail.com