Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2006, 09:19 PM   #136
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Just got this reply from TT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Tech Support
"build date is 17th day of 2005. Out of warranty. Black is from vibration. You may be able to clean the black off and get it going. It may be a dead ballast or lamp. Swap the lamp into another light to see if it is good. Ballasts are less expensive than lamps.

MR16 HID's are 5x brighter than MR11 HID's"
The "black" reference is a response to a comment I made about the bulb socket pins being black instead of shiny sliver. Arcing no doubt.
The build date reference is based on a hand written set of numbers on the back of the bulb assembly. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned that huh.

So there ya' go... try and get some contact at the pins and if that doesn't work buy a ballast... or just toss it in the trash and get a MR16 HID.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #137
buffallodan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
Creeper the feminine comment was in reference to Chris's jab above, sry if I suck at humor . Thanks for the feedback.

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:45 PM   #138
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
Creeper the feminine comment was in reference to Chris's jab above, sry if I suck at humor . Thanks for the feedback.

Dan
Oh I know... Chris is the court jester of the Thumpers department. A real old and incontinent court jester... but never the less, the jolly joker of Thumperdom.
Hard not to get caught up in his fun and frivolity.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:43 AM   #139
buffallodan
Beastly Adventurer

Should this be in the index? Or did I miss it...

Wondering if this shouldn't be in the Index under Electrical?

Creeper,
Which pattern would work best for low beam for road use?
Prequel to question...I just recieved my Baja Designs Tecate which has an HID and an MR16 halogen. It is wired so that both the HID and MR come on at the same time using the High Beam switch. My predicament is I need them both on for offroad but I need the MR on for road use. I am thinking of adding the TT for my low beam and don't know wether to go with a spot or flood. I also am considering using the TT as my flood to work in conjunction with the HID for max light and minimum draw and use the Halogen as my road use low beam. Damn sorry for drawn out post but am I crazy and could someone help me please ...

Dan
The lighting impaired.

P.S. I think I just figured it out...I need to wire the MR16 to be hot from ignition side and put a switch in line for when I need to save juice for electrics? That was my primary concern - bieng able to turn both off for extreme conditions requiring electrics and also having both on when necessary. Does that sound like a plan???

buffallodan screwed with this post 12-05-2006 at 11:55 AM
Old 12-05-2006, 01:36 PM   #140
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
Wondering if this shouldn't be in the Index under Electrical?

it is, but it got demoted to Post #2 (optional) because there are choices, and many ride without lighting upgrades.

Oddly, the "long term opinion on Trail Techs" thread is still in Post #1, I think because it has useful electrical troubleshooting information that would be essential to Trail Tech owners.

Try searching the index with Ctrl-F, your browsers page search function, and words like "trail tech" will lead you to both posts.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:11 PM   #141
buffallodan
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Meat and Warewolf,
I didn't yet realize there were two sections of the index .
Now I got's me a whole lotta new reading material .
Again thanks for helpin me with my edjamucation

Dan
Old 07-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #142
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Ok, this is the last show-N-tell for the night. For the present, the HID is aimed to the same point as the stock high beam.

Low.

High

HID

On to the next thing...
Creeper, hi!
I'm fine tunning my 640 ADV, wich is now with me at last! Its low and high headlights are too high, so I was searching at the LC4 Index some info to get it right, and I found this post of yours.
Do you have the distance between your bike and the door when you took this pics? knowing that, I can register my lights to the correct height. Or any other measures will do the work (distance from the bike to the wall were the low light is at the floor-wall intersection, etc).
Thanks in advance!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #143
creeper OP
Still alive...

This is a pretty old thread liferider. Note the date of the last response before yours.

That bike has been, over the past few years, crashed, redone and sold to a new owner... so unless the info you want is in the thread, I got nothing for you. Oh... I don't own that house anymore... so I can't take any wild-ass-guess measurements either.

Ciao,
C
Old 07-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #144
liferider
Never It's enough

Thumb

Creeper, this is quite an old thread my friend. I have sold my 640 ADV since I was not being able to ride it with the lights aiming to the sky. Thanks anyway!!!

No problem, Creeper. I have noticed the years this thread has, but I thought may be you know something about this stuff so I shoot. Time is a memory killer ...

I think I will end registering the height according to my common sense.
Thanks for your quick reponse.

liferider screwed with this post 07-23-2008 at 08:54 PM
Old 07-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #145
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider
... I have sold my 640 ADV since I was not being able to ride it with the lights aiming to the sky. Thanks anyway!!!

I'd like to thank you for asking your question in what is at least somewhat appropriate. Too bad you sold your 640 because the headlights were aimed poorly. (I know, you were joking... ) They are adjustable, and for anyone else out there who wants to aim their headlights here is a decent article:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:15 AM   #146
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,285
my experience with the MR16 HID trail tech lights is that the Flood is too dispersed and the spot is reasonable for lower speeds. I have a spot and a flood mounted on my 950 and they work reasonably well on the interstate but they dont do a lot in racing conditions...better then nothing and better then a stock headlight. The last time I did spirited dirt road night ride on the 950 I didnt find the two Trailtech lights to be enough at all....especially coupled with the euro headlight. Now for the price they make good lower speed trail riding lights and are great for visibility during the day.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:34 AM   #147
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
my experience with the MR16 HID trail tech lights is that the Flood is too dispersed and the spot is reasonable for lower speeds. I have a spot and a flood mounted on my 950 and they work reasonably well on the interstate but they dont do a lot in racing conditions...better then nothing and better then a stock headlight. The last time I did spirited dirt road night ride on the 950 I didnt find the two Trailtech lights to be enough at all....especially coupled with the euro headlight. Now for the price they make good lower speed trail riding lights and are great for visibility during the day.
Seth,

any measurable voltage drop between the battery and the headlights? I am told that the ZKW halogen lamps on my 03 640adv are top shelf, and if they are properly supplied they should be more than adequate for... well, you did say racing eh? Maybe you need to look into something more appropriate for that level of riding, such as:

http://www.niterideroffroad.com/revolution.shtml

I personally would opt for the helmet mounted dual HIDs, just for the option of waking up sleepy drivers with a mere glance...
Old 07-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #148
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Seth,

any measurable voltage drop between the battery and the headlights? I am told that the ZKW halogen lamps on my 03 640adv are top shelf, and if they are properly supplied they should be more than adequate for... well, you did say racing eh? Maybe you need to look into something more appropriate for that level of riding, such as:

http://www.niterideroffroad.com/revolution.shtml

I personally would opt for the helmet mounted dual HIDs, just for the option of waking up sleepy drivers with a mere glance...
The trail tech lights draw about 35 watts each and require a stable voltage source. Unlike a halogen bulb that will dim with a reduced voltage the HID's will simply cutoff when the voltage drops below an operational level. The last race I did I have the euro beam headlight, the 2 trail tech lamps and 1 100 watt baja Designs "Fuego" driving light. The fuego was night and day above the rest of the lights. For the same event coming up this fall I will likely be running two of the Baja designs Fuego lights only with the HID setup.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:26 AM   #149
liferider
Never It's enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I'd like to thank you for asking your question in what is at least somewhat appropriate. Too bad you sold your 640 because the headlights were aimed poorly. (I know, you were joking... ) They are adjustable, and for anyone else out there who wants to aim their headlights here is a decent article:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
Meat_Popsicle, hi.
Ok, that's a good link. Thank you for your help.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:28 AM   #150
liferider
Never It's enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
This is a pretty old thread liferider. Note the date of the last response before yours.

C
Creeper, your thread is still alive!!!