Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
mervingry OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Ideas for listening to FM radio via Zumo GPS?

For music, I listen to the MP3 player on my Zumo 660 GPS, through hard-wired earbuds. To listen to local news and in particular weather forecasts, I have my iPod Nano in a jacket pocket , but it's impossible to tune stations or adjust the volume on the Nano while riding. I'm looking for other ideas for the FM radio setup, such as perhaps attaching a sports/jogging radio to the handlebars.

It would be nice if something was availble to listen to FM (or sateliite radio) through the GPS.

Any ideas?

In the end, I may have to settle for a portable weather alert radio. Any suggestions for a good one?
mervingry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervingry View Post

For music, I listen to the MP3 player on my Zumo 660 GPS, through hard-wired earbuds. To listen to local news and in particular weather forecasts, I have my iPod Nano in a jacket pocket , but it's impossible to tune stations or adjust the volume on the Nano while riding. I'm looking for other ideas for the FM radio setup, such as perhaps attaching a sports/jogging radio to the handlebars.

It would be nice if something was availble to listen to FM (or sateliite radio) through the GPS.

Any ideas?

In the end, I may have to settle for a portable weather alert radio. Any suggestions for a good one?
yes i got a nice amfm stereo from target for 15 bucks. it has 20 presets and the the volume knob is easy to operate during riding. the only thing i did was upgrade the earphones to earbuds. i wish i had a pic saved but if you look under kubiaks 1150 build theres a pic on there in gspot.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
ultrarnr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I have a Zumo 550 and listen to XM radio throught it. I use a small FM transmitter that is hard wired to the Zumo. I have a G-4 that is tuned to the frequency of the FM transmitter. My Mana GT has front storage so that is where I have the FM transmitter and plug it into the 12 V power outlet that is in the storage compartment. Works great.
ultrarnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
I there an FM radio out there that has big seek and volume buttons so you can operate it with gloves on?

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
rifflebox
Yee Haw!

Oddometer: 211
As far as I know the 665 supports XM Satellite radio/weather/traffic and the 660 does not. That is the main reason for the $160 difference in price. The 665 kit includes the XM antenna and additional wiring for installation. With it you can get the XM channels, weather, and traffic, all of which cost extra. It costs a hunk of change to get this whole package operating.

The advantage of buying a 665 or a 660 over stand-alone options (such as a separate XM receiver) is the integration with Bluetooth. Once properly set up, the Zumo handles the iPhone, the XM receiver, any on-board MP3's, etc. and sends the audio to the headset (SMH 10 in my case) via Bluetooth. Controls for all of the above are via the Zumo touch screen. You can use wired speakers/earbuds instead, but then you need to unplug when getting off the bike.

The whole kit can be moved from the bike to my truck in just a few minutes using the supplied mounts. It plugs into the AUX port on the truck radio for audio.

IMO you need to do a lot of riding and have willingness to plow through the setup to justify the cost of a 665 but it is a nice system if used to its full capabilities.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
mervingry OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Jensen JHD910

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I there an FM radio out there that has big seek and volume buttons so you can operate it with gloves on?

The Jensen JHD 910 would likely meet your needs. See http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...-jhd910-radio/

I solved my problem by purchasing a Schuberth C3 Pro helmet and the Schuberth integrated SRC bluetooth intercom / radio which includes FM. Works great. The 31 inch antenna built into the helmet does a good job of receiving FM stations.

mervingry screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 11:32 AM
mervingry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,579
Sena SMH 5 FM bluetooth headset.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
Sena SMH 5 FM bluetooth headset.

JR356

Is the tuner built in or fed thru the blue tooth? Also is it possible to hook it to a power source as you ride if ride very long distances?

2012 Versys 1000
Old 06-18-2013, 12:43 AM   #9
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Is the tuner built in or fed thru the blue tooth? Also is it possible to hook it to a power source as you ride if ride very long distances?
http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview
Built in tuner.

Can be hooked to USB power source,but it has 8 plus hour battery life and if you plug in the charger at your breaks,it is unlikely you will run out of charge.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

I was ready to pull the trigger on buying this but I wanted the SMH10 but I cant see anything about FM capability with th SHM10.

2012 Versys 1000