ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 12:34 AM   #1
team ftb OP
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Two strokes and riding in CA????

Greetings California people!!

Well I'm thinking of coming back to California (currently in Thailand) this spring for a few months. One of the things on my list was to pick up a two stroke to bring back to Thailand while I'm in the states, only thing is I would like to ride it for three or four months in California while I'm over. Now i stoppped riding in the deserts of So-Cal right when they started issuing red and green stickers and I know all two strokes after 2002 are red sticker. Soooooooooooo would it be possible to lets say buy a plated two stroke out of state from a empathetic person who can register it in my name at their address, then bring it to CA and ride it around during green sticker season in California and maybe some technical dual sport rides?

I know most technical dirt riders have probably gone to plated KTM four strokes but I already have a KTM 525 EXC and would like a nimble two stroke to add to my stable. I can't be the only person yearning to have a two stroke shoving me up the sand washes of Johnson Valley or picking through the single track of Gorman/Frazier Park. So is what i think possible? What other options are there if someone desires riding a late model two stroke during red sticker season?

Thanks in advance for any tips and hope to hook up with you boys for some exploration and riding when I'm back over. Also if any of you are coming to Thailand on holiday drop me a PM as there is some fun riding over here.

Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,475
If you keep an eye out on Craig's List, there are occasionally plated 2-stroke bikes, usually enduro bikes, but occasionally full-on MX bikes. Recently, a KX500 SuperMoto was listed, awfully tempting to the mentally unstable such as myself.

The downside, of course, is that you can't buy a *new* bike and plate it. Most of these bikes are nearly or more than 10 years old.

That said, I have friends who have "illegal" vehicles registered out of state with family or friends, which is technically illegal as well -- better have secure off-street parking or the cops will see the plate and hassle you.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
Mooney 78865
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
If it is plated from out of state you are legal as long as the tags are current.
The Rangers anywhere I ride know what is what, so do the cops. Plated two strokes are ancient in Ca. You WILL draw enforcement like flies.
Sucks I know, I ride a KTM 300 XCW(e). (yes I know it's not plated) There isn't any legal riding within 5 hours from me between June 1 and Sept 30. Fortunately there are a number of lakes close by.... and I love to SKI!
Good luck!
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
If it is plated from out of state you are legal as long as the tags are current.
The Rangers anywhere I ride know what is what, so do the cops. Plated two strokes are ancient in Ca. You WILL draw enforcement like flies.Good luck!
I can see cops eyeing me when I am on my plated XR400R. A couple of times cops made U-turns and followed me for a little bit. I haven’t been pulled over though.
If I ever do get pulled over, I’ll likely get a ticket for something; tires, battery, …….,, I don’t know. I think the bike is a rich target for any cop who wants to cause me trouble or just doesn’t like bikes.
I do wish when I had the chance I had convert one of my two strokes for the street.
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 07-01-2011 at 09:41 PM
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
team ftb OP
Befuddled Adventurer

I'm not overly concerned about the steely eye of law enforcement as long as its technically legal if I am riding a plated two stroke from say Arizona or Nevada in California. I ride a friends plated XR600 around Los angeles when I visit and am used to the attention bikes like that attract.

I'm thinking through the strategy of buying a plated two stroke from out of state, keeping it registered in my name in that state at the former owners house (if they are empathetic towards my plight) then riding it during my three month stay at various riding areas in So-Cal and maybe do a few shorter Dual Sport rides with it. Am I overlooking anything that could throw a wrench in my plans?? Sometimes optimism has its downside, haha, and I need to be a realist regarding this endeavor.

Any other interesting methods of riding late model two strokes legally in California year round??

Getting excited to hook into a sandwash and climbing looooooong uphills as its been awhile for me since we don't have any of that over here. The three foot deep sand whoops though i can do without.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
I'm not overly concerned about the steely eye of law enforcement as long as its technically legal if I am riding a plated two stroke from say Arizona or Nevada in California. I ride a friends plated XR600 around Los angeles when I visit and am used to the attention bikes like that attract.

I'm thinking through the strategy of buying a plated two stroke from out of state, keeping it registered in my name in that state at the former owners house (if they are empathetic towards my plight) then riding it during my three month stay at various riding areas in So-Cal and maybe do a few shorter Dual Sport rides with it.
If you're a California resident and are riding a motorcycle registered to you, it is not legal to have it registered out of state when riding it in California. If you're not a resident, you're good unless the bike stays here full time which it sounds like is not the case in this instance.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
team ftb OP
Befuddled Adventurer

Awesome response Jonz!! Greatly appreciated. I can't remember if you are LEO or not but I shall ask anyway:

I do have my current California drivers license and will be residing in California for those 3-4 months but the rest of the year is in Thailand. So if the bike is registered to me in state X but I don't have a drivers licence from state X would that be an issue? Would it be a problem with state X bike registration in my name and a Thai drivers licence? I am assuming if i have state X bike registration and a CA drivers licence that it would cause problems, am I correct?

You are correct in the bike would then be shipped overseas after the four months.

Thanks for the insight.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
jonz
Miles are my mantra

[QUOTE=team ftb;16302074]
Quote:
Awesome response Jonz!! Greatly appreciated. I can't remember if you are LEO or not but I shall ask anyway:
I am

Quote:
I do have my current California drivers license and will be residing in California for those 3-4 months but the rest of the year is in Thailand. So if the bike is registered to me in state X but I don't have a drivers licence from state X would that be an issue?
Maybe
Quote:
Would it be a problem with state X bike registration in my name and a Thai drivers licence?
Probably not. If your driving record shows "license surrendered" then probably not.

Quote:
I am assuming if i have state X bike registration and a CA drivers licence that it would cause problems, am I correct?
Correct.

I've copy and pasted the definition of "resident" from the vehicle code for you below:

516. "Resident" means any person who manifests an intent to live or
be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient
basis. Presence in the state for six months or more in any 12-month
period gives rise to a rebuttable presumption of residency.
The following are evidence of residency for purposes of vehicle
(a) Address where registered to vote.
(b) Location of employment or place of business.
(c) Payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher
education.
(d) Attendance of dependents at a primary or secondary school.
(e) Filing a homeowner's property tax exemption.
(f) Renting or leasing a home for use as a residence.
(g) Declaration of residency to obtain a license or any other
privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.
(h) Possession of a California driver's license.
(i) Other acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in
the state is more than temporary or transient.

That's a start for you.

edit: I badly want to go to Thailand and ride there. Maybe in a couple years when I retire.
STOC #326 IBA #217
Old 07-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
team ftb OP
Befuddled Adventurer

Jonz, thanks for the reply and information provided. It makes me chuckle as I actually qualify for residency in both places according to the legal definition, haha. I know the two stroke will attract more attention than just any plated dirt bike, especially in California. Hopefully as long as I keep my nose clean, keep the long lurid wheelies and getting sideways out of any street riding I'll pass through any LEO engagements with some conversation and paperwork checking and that'll be it.

I'm assuming if the bike is legal on the street in state X that it only has to comply with that states code laws when travelling in California, is this correct? For example if state X does not require turn signals but i am riding the bike in California where turn signals are required am I ok not to have turn signals due to the out of state registration?

Anyone else have experiences with doing this? Feel free to PM if you prefer. Thanks for all the help guys and hope to see you when I'm over there in spring.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
jonz
Miles are my mantra

[QUOTE=team ftb;16320356]
I'm assuming if the bike is legal on the street in state X that it only has to comply with that states code laws when travelling in California, is this correct? For example if state X does not require turn signals but i am riding the bike in California where turn signals are required am I ok not to have turn signals due to the out of state registration?[QUOTE]

Not correct. If CA requires certain equipment (lights, turn signals, etc) you must have them to operate in this state. Also, AZ (one state I know of) has an offroad vehicle plate which allows you to ride atv's and dirt bikes on smaller roads but not others (like freeways, I believe). That registration is not recognized on any public road in CA.
STOC #326 IBA #217
Old 07-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
rhino105
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
In Az all bikes are supposed to have what is called an RV plate and a OHV sticker, which cost $25. This allows riding on open public land. Now it gets tougher...for a $4 extra fee you can make your RV plate into a street legal plate..you must equip bike with very minimal street legal stuff plus have minimum liabilty insurance. They don't even inspect for legality but you sign a paper saying you are responsible for any needed equipment. To get the discounted $4 street legal plate you must also declare the bike is used "primarily" offroad..what that means is unclear to pretty much everyone. If you declare the bike as primarily street you pay full cost of registration..not the discounted fee of $4. Az will pretty much plate anything...quad...sbs...two strokes... Maricopa county only for anything 5 years old you also have to go through a minimal emission test, although they are trying to end that. Even a properly jetted two stoke will pass the emission test...and no other state will recognize a street legal plated quad or sbs.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino105 View Post
In Az all bikes are supposed to have what is called an RV plate and a OHV sticker, which cost $25. This allows riding on open public land. Now it gets tougher...for a $4 extra fee you can make your RV plate into a street legal plate..you must equip bike with very minimal street legal stuff plus have minimum liabilty insurance. They don't even inspect for legality but you sign a paper saying you are responsible for any needed equipment. To get the discounted $4 street legal plate you must also declare the bike is used "primarily" offroad..what that means is unclear to pretty much everyone. If you declare the bike as primarily street you pay full cost of registration..not the discounted fee of $4. Az will pretty much plate anything...quad...sbs...two strokes... Maricopa county only for anything 5 years old you also have to go through a minimal emission test, although they are trying to end that. Even a properly jetted two stoke will pass the emission test...and no other state will recognize a street legal plated quad or sbs.

Here is a link explaning AZ/CA OHV reciprocity:
http://azstateparks.com/ohv/other.html
wallache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,525
So Jonz, here's a hypothetical for you. I am a resident of CA and have bikes registered here but I also own a ranch in rural NV and keep a couple of quads and a bike out there registered to that address. Am I not allowed to visit CA on my NV plated bike for a short visit? I have a CA license only.

Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #14
mrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Other info for CA

If it is older than 2003 you are grandfathered and can get a green sticker. Also in the National Forests I have ridden in CA you do not need to be plated unless you are on pavement. All dirt roads are open access to bikes as well as ATVs.

Maps - after you click a map, hit the print in upper right to get a PDF.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/forestvisitormaps/

Edit: I should point out they have new maps out that show the "legal" routes to ride in the NFs, but again in the ones I have been in all dirt " roads" on the above maps are open. The new maps I think also show " trails" which are still open.

mrider screwed with this post 07-05-2011 at 08:46 PM
mrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #15
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
So Jonz, here's a hypothetical for you. I am a resident of CA and have bikes registered here but I also own a ranch in rural NV and keep a couple of quads and a bike out there registered to that address. Am I not allowed to visit CA on my NV plated bike for a short visit? I have a CA license only.

Brent
Can you? Yes.

If stopped, will you get a ticket for registration? A good possibility.

Will you win in court? A good possibility but it depends on your use. If it's a small town and the officer sees that bike around over the course of time, you'll most likely lose. If this is the first time he sees it and you provide documentation, maybe you win. there's more to it than just the definition of resident
STOC #326 IBA #217