ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #61
JRose
Studly Adventurer
 
JRose's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Birmingham, 'Murica
Oddometer: 627
Pirelli MT21. Been running them for years, and they just plain work. Do fairly well on the pavement to for a 90/10. I've dragged pegs with them on loaded down bikes without breaking traction.

I've tried others, keep going back to the MT21
__________________
Something clever and witty, or a list of my motorcycles goes here.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #62
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT
 
MTrider16's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Eastern Montana
Oddometer: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
Pirelli MT21. Been running them for years, and they just plain work. Do fairly well on the pavement to for a 90/10. I've dragged pegs with them on loaded down bikes without breaking traction.

I've tried others, keep going back to the MT21
Do you have an 18" rear tire then? Or do you use the 130/90-17?
__________________
'13 VFR1200D, '13 XVS950, '09 F800GS, 07 CRF250X
Riding roads in Montana - Big Sky Country
www.mtrider16.smugmug.com
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #63
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....
 
HighTechCoonass's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: land of the swamps!, Cajun Country LA
Oddometer: 2,456
Laugh

Mitas US dealer! Shit I just mounted a TKC80... but it was free so maybe next year..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=980493
http://stores.ebay.com/MOTORACE-CLOSEOUTS
__________________
Living the dream here in the good old USA! l

HighTechCoonass screwed with this post 05-25-2014 at 07:41 PM
HighTechCoonass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:33 AM   #64
Jammin
Living on a DR
 
Jammin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New Delhi - new 'home' for post RTW
Oddometer: 1,526
Hey guys, quick question: will a 140/80/17 fit on the F800GS rear rim?

I'm a Suzuki DR650 rider and am currently in New Delhi and there are two travelers on F800GSs coming to Delhi soon and their tires need replacing. I've found them some Shinko 244 (2 front 90/90/21 and 1 rear 150/70/17) and the only other rear readily available is a 140/80/17. It's a Vee Rubber WRM 163. Wish there was more choice in tires this size here but sadly no.
__________________
J A Y on a 98 Suzuki DR650SE (sanDRina)

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #65
keep it simple!
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Flanders, Belgium
Oddometer: 133
It's not the ideal size but it will fit
keep it simple! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:54 AM   #66
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv
 
Loutre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Reaver's Shed :o)
Oddometer: 3,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Hey guys, quick question: will a 140/80/17 fit on the F800GS rear rim?
yep it'll fit :o)
__________________
Keep the smile on your face!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post


Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #67
YrianX
Viking Adventurer
 
YrianX's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Oslo, NORWAY
Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Hey guys, quick question: will a 140/80/17 fit on the F800GS rear rim?
Yes it works fine.

I've been running a 140/80-17 rear now on my F8GS for about 2000miles no problem.
__________________
Damn, I could have sworn I saw a trail around here somewhere...

RIDING:
F800GS & YZF 1000R
YrianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #68
Jammin
Living on a DR
 
Jammin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New Delhi - new 'home' for post RTW
Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by YrianX View Post
Yes it works fine.

I've been running a 140/80-17 rear now on my F8GS for about 2000miles no problem.
Excellent! Thanks for all the quick replies

If you'd like to follow this couple on their RTW, this is their fb page: https://www.facebook.com/TwoBikersOneWorld
__________________
J A Y on a 98 Suzuki DR650SE (sanDRina)

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #69
JRose
Studly Adventurer
 
JRose's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Birmingham, 'Murica
Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Do you have an 18" rear tire then? Or do you use the 130/90-17?
130/90-17

Got about 1000 miles on it so far, seems to be just fine.
__________________
Something clever and witty, or a list of my motorcycles goes here.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #70
Arclite
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Oceanside
Oddometer: 37
Went with the Shinko 705's

I know these tires are not the best, but I needed tires quick, couldn't decide or wait for the "best" tires, and Revzilla had them on my door step nearly over night.

I also realize the front is on backwards in this pic...I've flipped it since the pic was taken.

The 705's were cheap and of most of my riding on the F8 will be tarmac with intermittent fire roads/breaks and sandy trails...hopefully they don't bite me in the a$$ and delaminate or something.

Road a couple hundred miles so far.....

I'll keep you all posted.
__________________
Current:
'12 BMW F800GS; '06 Husqvarna 450SMR; '05 Honda XR650R
Gone But Not Forgotten:
'07 Honda CRF450X; '07 Honda CRF250R; '04 Yamaha YZ250F; '01 Honda FTR223; '00 Kawasaki KZ1000P; '00 Suzuki SV650; '92 Honda VFR400; '86 Honda CR250
Arclite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #71
ThirdUncle
Dusting my teeth
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Oddometer: 51
New tire time

Anyone try the Sava tires on an 800GS yet? I want a mud-worthy knobbie that lasts 10,000km, even though I'm damn impressed with my Mitas combo, EO7 rear, E10 front. Got 13,000km on them. The front's ramped to hell, the rear's still got fight. What kind of mileage can I expect from the Pirelli M21s?
ThirdUncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:38 AM   #72
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer
 
G-Mac's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Peterborough Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdUncle View Post
Anyone try the Sava tires on an 800GS yet? I want a mud-worthy knobbie that lasts 10,000km, even though I'm damn impressed with my Mitas combo, EO7 rear, E10 front. Got 13,000km on them. The front's ramped to hell, the rear's still got fight. What kind of mileage can I expect from the Pirelli M21s?
I run the exact same combo and same thing happened to my front. Plus it started to chunk off at 2k. Nothing since then.
I switched to an E09 Dakar on the rear (waiting for the front) Man what a difference.
Loved the MT 21 but it does not last. 2500-3500km at best with mixed 50/50 riding.
__________________
G-Mac
Take the road of greatest resistance
2013 F800GS All Around Awesome Triple A
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
G-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:56 AM   #73
Capt CF
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Capt CF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mac View Post
I run the exact same combo and same thing happened to my front. Plus it started to chunk off at 2k. Nothing since then.
I switched to an E09 Dakar on the rear (waiting for the front) Man what a difference.
Loved the MT 21 but it does not last. 2500-3500km at best with mixed 50/50 riding.
+1 - I have MT21s on my 690 and you can expect about 3000km give or take on the rear. Great tire, but expect to replace them frequently if you go that route. Less of a problem if you don't balance them and do them yourself since they are a sub-$100 USD tire, but it would be a PITA if you had to have a shop do them and balance them each time. I have a D908RR I am throwing on that bike next so we'll see how that does.
__________________
You can't teach pigs to sing - it only frustrates you and annoys the pig.

Capt CF screwed with this post 07-25-2014 at 06:37 AM
Capt CF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:35 AM   #74
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.
 
FredRydr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Carlisle Pennsylvania USA
Oddometer: 2,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclite View Post
I'll keep you all posted.
Please post how they are on wet macadam when heeled over.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #75
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....
 
HighTechCoonass's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: land of the swamps!, Cajun Country LA
Oddometer: 2,456
I ran 3 sets of these , and not a one problem. Not even a flat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclite View Post
I know these tires are not the best, but I needed tires quick, couldn't decide or wait for the "best" tires, and Revzilla had them on my door step nearly over night.

I also realize the front is on backwards in this pic...I've flipped it since the pic was taken.

The 705's were cheap and of most of my riding on the F8 will be tarmac with intermittent fire roads/breaks and sandy trails...hopefully they don't bite me in the a$$ and delaminate or something.

Road a couple hundred miles so far.....

I'll keep you all posted.
__________________
Living the dream here in the good old USA! l
HighTechCoonass is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014