Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #16
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 839
Sorry to hear your having battery/charging issues... hopefully you'll get them ironed out quickly. That was really good of Randy to help you out there, nice to hear there are still people out there who do things like that!

Some great views from where you're travelling... and what's Canada Day without the traditional Canada Day Goat?
SoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #17
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Day 4 July 3 528 kms Watson Lake to Fort Nelson

Well, leaving the bike connected to the Motel owners pickup overnight worked as well as I figured it would, so I loaded the Buell, Jump started it, and got ready to go. I needed gas and was concerned that I would have to leave the bike running while I fuelled up,but when I mentioned it to the hotel owner, he said, in a thick german accent, “these eeis dee Yookon, novody ees goingk to caare.”

As I was leaving, I met these 2 fellows who had driven their model “A”s to Alaska and were on their way back.

The guy in the coupe was having engine problems ( a knock) and was having a problem keeping head gaskets from blowing. They were anticipating having to truck the car home

So I go to the gas Station, leave the bike running as I fuelled up, and nobody cared. And….. I didn’t have to prepay for fuel. I like the Yukon!

Headed of down the road, and seen a big sign with a Buffalo on it, warmimg of wildlife. Sure enough, I seen a buffalo eating grass on the side of the road. I rode a bit further, and there was another one

I have seen lots of wildlife along the road in my life, but never a buffalo. Throughout the day, I seen more buffalo, lots of bears, goats, caribou, foxes and a deer. If you want to see wildlife, this is the road to do it. Not a lot of pictures, cause, well, I was afraid to stop much given my battery situation .

I wanted to stop and have a stretch, so I found a nice long hill, shut down the Buell, and had a walk around.

the bike started right up. Huh?
Away I went and rode to Muncho Lake, where I needed fuel. The gas station was on a bit of a hill, and I had Jumper cables, so I felt pretty safe shutting the bike down. Fueled up at a price for fuel which seemed a lot like highway robbery.

All fuelled up, I hit the starter button, and it fired up

Bike running at Mucho Lake

Rode for a couple hours and needed another stretch. Found a likely looking hill I could stop at and got off the bike. Hit the button and…….. nope, not going to start for me. Crap! Got the bike rolling down the hill, bumped it, no problem, I was away again. Didn’t shut the bike down again until I was at the campsite in Ft Nelson.
Being Sunday, I couldn’t pick up a Multi meter till the next day, so I set up camp and called my brother to tell him about my trip so far. Turns out he has a friend in Ft Nelson who is an electronics guy ( Phone company) Bro calls him, he comes over with his multi meter. It’s the battery. Won’t hold a charge. Now, Where do I find a battery that fits a Buell in Ft Nelson. I guess I will find out tomorrow. If all else fails, I feel pretty safe riding to Ft St John or Dawson creek or even Edmonton to find a battery. I just won't shut the Buell off.

Next to the Campsite is the Museum. A kind of cool eclectic mix of old machinery and stuff from the 30s and 40s. Then I walked into the garage …….
Homemade mini bike with a chainsaw engine

A mess of old car in, well, museum quality shape

An old flathead, almost completely stock

The original adventure bike. 3 wheel drive

BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #18
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
Sorry to hear your having battery/charging issues... hopefully you'll get them ironed out quickly. That was really good of Randy to help you out there, nice to hear there are still people out there who do things like that!

Some great views from where you're travelling... and what's Canada Day without the traditional Canada Day Goat?

I have met lots of great people on this trip. Most people are real friendly, are interested in my bike and where I am going and where have I been.

Its about 20 after 6:00 am right now, and I am sitting in the laundry mat at the campsite, and so far 5 people have walked through, and they have all stopped to chat for a bit.
Friendly!
Old 07-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #19
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Bike has a brand new battery and is starting good!
No internet at the campsite
Will post more in the morning
Old 07-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #20
SoSlow
Having fun

Allright! That should take some of the "izzit gonna start?" off your mind!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #21
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 5 July 4 439 km Fort Nelson to Kistkatinaw Prov park (Ft St John)

Packed up early and walked down town Fort Nelson to pick up a rechargeable battery booster pack.
The auto parts store was at the other end of town. Fortunately, Ft Nelson isn’t that big, so it took less than an hour to walk there and back. Now all I had to do was charge it for a few hours and I could be on my way. Plugged in the booster back at the camp office, and went back to my campsite. Matt, my neighbour for the night, an ozzie from Calgary riding his KLR around for a few months, was getting packed up, so we BS’d for a while, I packed the rest of my gear, and at about noon, tested the booster pack, an the Buell was running. A temporary solution, but now I could stop without worrying about finding someone to boost my bike.
Got gas in Ft Nelson, and had to boost the bike from the pack. Worked great. Rode to Ft St John, where I bought a new battery. Installed it, and headed of to find a campsite.
Found a campsite that is right by an old curved bridge built for the original Alaska highway. The original bridge is still in use,and is pretty cool to ride over

Set up camp and am ready for an early night.

Seeing as I am not going to do the Liard highway, I have to make a plan tomorrow for where I am headed next.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #22
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I enjoyed the picture of the band, the hands in the pocket, too cool for school look made me laugh

Won't sourcing parts for a Buel be a bit of a pain in SA ?

Enjoy your ride
I am anticipating issues sourcing parts in SA. I will be carrying some spares and wear items ( belt, brakes, cables etc) and I have budgetted for shipping parts etc from Canada/States if they are needed. I am thinkig that if I have to wait for parts for a couple weeks in a small village in Bolivia, I will find something to do :)

My buddy with the bike shop shipped engine parts to Nicaragua last month, and they arrived in three days. I am not going to count on that speedy deliveries, though
Old 07-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #23
SoSlow
Having fun

That bridge looks awesome... was that camp site a convenient stop on the road, or were you planning to stop there?

Good RR!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #24
ulyist
Black Gold Beemers

Oddometer: 129
The battery in my 08 XB12X went too, after I replaced it no starting problems in the last 60K.
Have a great trip
ulyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #25
prime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63

i see the BC Buell has a windshield again :)
prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #26
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
That bridge looks awesome... was that camp site a convenient stop on the road, or were you planning to stop there?

Good RR!

I was planning on stopping somewhere near Ft John, and a lady at the grocery store in Ft St John told me about it, so, half convenient and half planned
Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 AM   #27
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyist View Post
The battery in my 08 XB12X went too, after I replaced it no starting problems in the last 60K.
Have a great trip
Thanks.
I am hoping for the best, and am planning on shipping the booster pack and jumper cables home today. They take up a fair bit of space :)
Old 07-06-2011, 06:07 AM   #28
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime View Post

i see the BC Buell has a windshield again :)

I couldn't find well nuts the right size to work, and the Buell part number through Harley is "obslolete:
So, I took it fairing apart and modified the mounting system slightly :)
Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #29
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 6 327 kms Kistkatinaw Prov park (Ft St John) to Sheep Creek Prov Park (Grande C

Slept in a bit this morning. Got up around 8:00 am, packed and got ready to hit the road.

Everything packs away pretty good with the jumper cables and booster pack

Everything is running good now, so I will pack the booster pack and jumper cables and send them home tomorrow.
Rode into Dawson Creek and checked out the museum at the info center and the museum at the City Center ( and free wifi)
Pretty cool museums, mostly about building the Alaska Highway

In the Museum

Model of the Kistkatinaw Bridge I rode over

Left the museum, stoped at the grocery store for a few supplies for lunch, and off I went to Pouce Coupe. I looked around town for a picnic table to make my lunch on, and found one at the town hall. While I was eating my lunch, an older fellow came over and welcomed me to town and we chatted for a bit. He went into the town hall, and came out a bit later and gave me an official “Village of Pouce Coupe” pen ( my 1st one ever) We chatted for a while,then he asked me, half expecting me to say no, if I was going to check out the Pouce Coupe Museum. Well, after him giving me the pen, and from the look on his face, I had no choice but to tell him I would love to check out the museum.

I was the only customer in the place, so the ladies took me for a pretty good tour. Lots of history, Pouce Coupe has :)
They had a restored train caboose

I had never been in a caboose before

After the museum, I headed south towards Grande Cache. Found a campsite, Set up and made supper

Kraft Dinner, canned soup and left over roast beef from lunch

Home for the night.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:39 AM   #30
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,570
Loving the report Brian. I used to drive a truck up that way 3 times a week out of Edmonton, so it's familiar territory. Lots of moose and bears up toward Nelson so look sharp.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote