User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #31
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Day7 July 6 626 kms Grande Cache to Golden

Got up early and headed to Grande Cache. When I got there, the visitors center wasn’t open yet, but the wifi was working

Rode to Hinton, where I boxed up my booster box and Randys jumper cables. Next problem. How do I transport a 25 pound box to the bus depot? Strap it on top of the load

I was planning on taking the Trunk road (hwy 40) to Nordeg, and was telling a guy I met at the campsite at Grande Cache about my plan. He knew the area, got out some maps, and showed me the best routes. He told me I should take the Grave Flats road past Cadomine. Then he looked at my bike and said “ That’s not really a dirt bike…… But…… yeah…… you should be fine……as long as it’s not raining…….” So he showed me the route and said “you should be good through past the mining area, but the hills over the divide are pretty steep…….like 20% steep…… but…… hmmmm…. You should be fine…..as long as it’s not raining…..” So I asked him how bad was it, really? Would you take your truck and trailer over it? He said, Oh yeah, no problem. But….. hmmmmm , the last part, over the divide….. yeah…. I’d take my truck…..as long as it wasn’t raining…..”
So he gives me the map book and goes back to his camp.

So, after leaving Hinton, I head down hwy 40. Stop for a snack along the river

The water looks nice and cold and clean, so I work my way down to the river to fill my water bottle. It LOOKED easy getting down to the river….. but it took me a while.

Just before the Cadomine turnoff, there were sheep all over the road. Didn’t care about bikes, or cars, or trucks

Got to the turnoff, and it wasn’t raining, and the guy had given me his mapbook. How bad could it be, really? So I turned right towards Cadomine.
The road follows along a coal mine for a long ways. They have been mining coal there since the turn of the century ( last century) The road was rough, dusty, freshly graded, and ran parallel to the mining haul road, which was dusty, real dusty. Near the south end of the mining was an old townsite they had torn up for the mining. There was an old graveyard that they had mined around, but left alone.

Mountain Park Graveyard

View from the graveyard

Carried on to the viewpoint that stated it was the continental divide

The road down

It was steep. It was rough, it was freshly graded with loose gravel. There were switchbacks. There was thick, loose gravel on the switchbacks. I got past the worst of it, and had picked up a bit of speed, when….holy crap, whoa Buell, slow ‘er down. There was a patch of about 2 inch round, piled thick cobblestone type river bottom rock, for about 200 feet. It took me all I had to get stopped, then creep through real slow.
Then I was through. That was fun. I would recommend riding it, if you have a bike even a little more dirtbikish than a Buell…..you should be ok……as long as it’s not raining….. :)

Road levelled out and got into some real nice scenery

Rode for a couple more awesome hours, and then came out on hwy 11 just west of Nordeg. Went into Nordeg for fuel, then headed towards Banff National park.

Headed towards the park

Road down the icefields hwy to Lake Louise, and stopped for a rest at the Spiral Tunnel lookout

Train going in the tunnel

Same train coming out of the tunnel ( lower tunnel)

Road into Golden, where I got a room for the night.

Golden

BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #32
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,462
Great pictures Brian. I will be heading up to Cadomine the first week of August.....if it's not raining.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #33
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day8 211kms July 7 Golden to Salmon Arm

Left Golden about 9:00 am
When the guy running the motel rented me a room, he was quite concerned that he had no rooms left on the ground floor where I could keep an eye on the bike, so he gave me a room next to the garage, and told me I could park my bike there. I guess he had had bikers stay with him before.

Got gas and hit the road. The sun was out, and it was getting hot. Rode as far as Revelstoke and stopped for a look around.

Walked around town for a bit and went to a grocery store to buy the makings for a sandwich.

There is a real nice main street in Revelstoke, but I guess the intersection where you turn into down town has a stop sign which is hard to see. There were 2 cops kind of hiding behind a phone booth and some trees, busting people as the blew through the stop sign. While I sat on the little brick wall eating my sandwich, they must have nailed 5 or 6 different people for not stopping. It was entertaining as all heck to watch. When I rode through the intersection, I made sure I came to a complete stop at the intersection. The cops smiled and waved at me as I rode through J

Off to Salmon Arm I went, where I thought I would stop and visit my good friend Howard for a couple hours. I hadn’t seen him for about a year, and hadn’t called ahead. When I got there, he was working on some guys car, but dropped everything and said, “Lets go for a ride”. So he pulls out his old Indian Chief, fires it up, and away we went for a bit of a ride.

Went back to Howards, and we went to work on the car, BS’s for hours, and worked on a couple other projects he had going into the wee hours of the night. That was as far as I made it for the day.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #34
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 9 July 8 456 kms Salmon Arm to Williams Lake

Got up early at Howards and packed my stuff. They keep hours quite different than mine, so Howard was still sleeping, as he had continued working long after I had gone to bed. His wife wouldn’t be home from work for another hour or so, and his daughter had left for work about 2 hours ago. His daughter showed up back at the house, as she needed some paperwork for work, so we said our goodbyes, then his wife showed up and we visited for a while, and I asked her to give my goodbyes to Howard.
Then I hit the road…..in the rain.

Rode to Kamloops, where I stopped at a sporting goods store. My penny stove, while working good in perfect conditions, was not going to work for my for my trip to SA. Matt, the ozzie from Calgary, who I met in Fort Nelson, was using a Primus Optimum multi-fuel stove and really liked it. I couldn’t find one in Grand Prairie, and thought I would look for one here. Nope. I will have to get one on-line.

I have ridden the route from Kamloops to Williams Lake about a gadzillion times, so I didn’t stop much. Just once to take a couple pictures. I have 2 cameras with me, and I think one takes better pictures than the other.

Fujifilm Camera

Sony Camera

Or, It could just be me not knowing how to work the camera right.

Got home about 3:00, and my understanding yet somewhat frustrated wife allowed me the rest of the day before I have to start on the “Honey-Do” list tomorrow

Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #35
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Overview

So the idea of this trip was a trial run to make sure my bike, kit, packing etc was going to work for me. (Really, that’s why, it had nothing to do with never doing that route before and really wanting to.)

So here’s what I found

Bike: 2008 Buell XB12XT Ulysses

Except for the battery problems, which I should have seen the signs before I left, worked great. Did everything I expected it to do. Great on the highway, not great, but OK on the gravel. Not the most comfortable seat, but I am not planning on doing 1600 km days on it. Usually, on long bike trips, when I get home, I don’t want to see my bike for a few days. Not so with the Buell. I would leave again today on a similar trip, if my wife, boss, kids, dogs and banker would let me.

Tent: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2

I would like to meet this “Big Agnes”, or her little sister, cause these things are pretty slim. It’s a 2 man tent, but I would only recommend 2 men in this tent if they are from Brokeback Mountain. But for 1 guy and a bit of gear….perfect. With my cot put on one side, there is room for a bit of gear and my clothes. I only used my tarp one night when it was raining hard, and on the other rainy nights I stayed nice and dry. The vestibule is only big enough for my boots, but that’s all I needed anyway.

Cot : Luxury Lite

Freaking awesome. Beats sleeping on the ground, and won’t get punctures like an air mattress and folds up smaller than most air mattresses. Comfortable and easy to set up. I never tried setting it up in the tent, but I did tear it down in the tent. No problem.

Sleeping Bag: Hot-core R200

Inexpensive, good quality, packs small. Worked good. Had night temperatures approaching freezing on some nights, and I never had to break out my spare blanket.

Duffel: Sea Line Wide Mouth Duffel

Worked great. Waterproof, big, expandable, roll top. Put in all my camping gear and strap in on the back of the bike.

Stove: Home made penny stove

Cheap, easy to make and easy to use.
Worked good in perfect conditions, but not so wonderful in windy or rainy conditions. Its all I had, so its what I used, but am going to buy a compact multi-fuel stove.

Cameras: FujiFilm XP10

My understanding yet somewhat frustrated wife, knowing my history with cameras bought this for me for x-mas. It is waterproof, shockproof, dustproof, freezeproof. Pretty much Brianproof. I have dropped it, used it underwater lost it, found it, stepped on it etc and it still works good. I just doesn`t take as good of pictures as I think it should. lots of unfocused or dark photos on automatic mode. I am thinking of getting a bit better camera, maybe an SLR. But maybe I should try to learn to use this one properly first.

Sony cheap assed cyber-shot DCS-S2000

I wanted a back up camera that took double ``A`` batteries, for those times when I can`t recharge my other camera. Works good and takes good pictures, but it cheaply made (you get what you pay for) and shutter is already giving me problems. I think it is good as a back up.

Cooler: Mobicool 12v cooler

I had this great idea that I would get a 12 volt soft cooler that I could keep things cold while on the road and get the 110 adapter so I could use it in motel rooms etc ( I also have a 220-110 adapter for countries that are 220) It takes up a lot of room that I can use for other stuff, and I only used it once. To use it, I have to strap it on top of my duffel, so it makes my load quite high. It DOES work good, though. The jury is still out on whether I will take it or not, But I am leaning towards leaving it at home. The beauty thing is, that if I do take it, and don’t use it, I can give it to someone along the way

Tires: Dunlop D616
These are the tires that were on the bike and were new when I bought it, and they work great. But…….they only have 6,000 kms on them, and the back is about done. I am not going to be doing any canyon carving on my trip, so I am going to look for a less grippy, longer lasting tire.

BC Brian screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 11:14 AM
Old 07-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #36
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Good read. Looking forward to your next RR!
RockyDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #37
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRSixfifty View Post
Good read. Looking forward to your next RR!
Thanks. I am looking forward to writing it :)

When I got to Nordeg, I thought about riding into Rocky and looking you up, but, well, I really had no way of finding you except on ADVRider. If I had know I was going that route, I would have PM'd you the night before. Next time through maybe :)
Old 07-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #38
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Ice Cream

When I got home, my daughter asked me repeatedly to take her for a ride. I told her that if she would wash dad`s dirty bike, I would take her. She was all over it. So, after I had done a couple of things on the `honey-do`` list , I pulled out the pressure washer and showed her how to use it

Got the bike all cleaned up ( with a bit of help from Dad) geared up, and got ready to go.

Dog helping

Happy and ready to go

And we`re off

Went to the local ice cream shop for a cone. Nothing tastes quite as good as a strawberry icecream cone with your little girl J
Old 07-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #39
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post

Stove: Home made penny stove

Cheap, easy to make and easy to use.
Worked good in perfect conditions, but not so wonderful in windy or rainy conditions. Its all I had, so its what I used, but am going to buy a compact multi-fuel stove..
I'm sure you'll be able to find something suitable here,....

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_l...34374302696469
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #40
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Doing a trial run is very smart. You'll have a lot of confidence when you hit the road for your longer trip.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:27 AM   #41
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Great pictures Brian. I will be heading up to Cadomine the first week of August.....if it's not raining.
I am thinking that on your bike, you will ride that road and think "what was that BC Brian talking about?"
I would take YOUR bike on that road, in the rain, during breakup, following a monster truck rally. But then, I really like your bike :)
Old 07-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #42
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post
I am thinking that on your bike, you will ride that road and think "what was that BC Brian talking about?"
I would take YOUR bike on that road, in the rain, during breakup, following a monster truck rally. But then, I really like your bike :)
Thanks, me to! Count yourself lucky, my daughters have never washed any of my bikes, trucks, or cars but they have come along for Ice cream.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #43
ckjj888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
The Bible ( video ) - turn corners

HTML Code:
<embed src="http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/XMjgxODI3MTY4/v.swf" quality="high" width="480" height="400" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>
ckjj888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #44
ckjj888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckjj888 View Post
Send wrong place, sorry !
ckjj888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #45
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKIGAI View Post
I'm sure you'll be able to find something suitable here,....

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_l...34374302696469
Thanks. MEC has everything. I think this is the stove he had.

Optimus Nova

I am going to order one, then learn how to use it :)