Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2011, 05:15 AM   #31
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I swear the only bikers that go the speed limit are the ones wearing helmets and the rest throw caution to the wind.???
...and therein lies the problem. There is always some jerk doing the speed limit in far left lane, causing those who wish to go faster, to try and get around them, causing other self righteous jerks to try and prevent them from doing so.

On a bike, if I get into a cluster of cars, I want OUT. If I have to speed to get out, I will.

See, I used to scowl at speeders. But then I realized that they just might have a reason for doing so. Maybe they got a call that their son or wife were in a terrible accident, maybe they got a call that their house was on fire. Who knows. Not for me to judge. If they want to go fast, get the H out of the way. Let LEO worry about it.

But if people adhered to some basic common sense rules, the road would flow easier and the erratic driving would stop.

Here's one:

LEFT LANE = Fast Lane, RIGHT LANE = Slow Lane, CENTER LANE = PASSING ONLY.

If the idiots who ride the center lane would just pick one of the other two, traffic would flow a lot smoother.

Now all we have to do is figure out how to get around all those cars with Michigan plates who brake and come to a crawl to see the cows in the pastures...

How the heck did we get so off thread?

"I've never met a man on his deathbed who wished he had spent more time at the office"
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #32
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,772
May favorite gripe

two thrity somethings (thats their car speed not age) are side by side on a four lane (two each way) and they never ever look at each other or in the rear view mirror (showing cars stacked up as far as you can see). They just mossy along at thirty soemthing!

Common Courtesy and some situational awareness would solve that problem...

but I have given up.... and yes I agree that the farther south you get the worse it seems..... lots of blue hair down that way...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #33
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post

Now all we have to do is figure out how to get around all those cars with Michigan plates who brake and come to a crawl to see the cows in the pastures...

How the heck did we get so off thread?
The only cows I've seen are wearing daisy dukes and halter tops along the Tamiami Trail. They are friendly though, most wave. I usually only slow up for flea markets and garage sales.....Off topic? the OP wanted to know where the ADV riding was in the Tampa area. There is none unless you count the Tamiami Trail.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #34
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 418
Actually, come over and visit the Eurocycles shop and gang in Tampa (Gunn Hwy in NW Tampa). These guys and gals (us included) tend to do both on and off-road every weekend. Everything from GS and Multistrada runs on the backroads down to KTMs, WRs and DRs on the trails...
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:34 AM   #35
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
The only cows I've seen are wearing daisy dukes and halter tops along the Tamiami Trail. They are friendly though, most wave. .

"I've never met a man on his deathbed who wished he had spent more time at the office"
Old 11-11-2011, 04:39 AM   #36
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
Actually, come over and visit the Eurocycles shop and gang in Tampa (Gunn Hwy in NW Tampa). These guys and gals (us included) tend to do both on and off-road every weekend. Everything from GS and Multistrada runs on the backroads down to KTMs, WRs and DRs on the trails...
Actually, this is a very bad idea. I can pretty much assure you that if you go there, you will be tempted to test ride the Duc Multistrada or any of the other Ducs. You will then leave the shop a few dollars lighter than when you went in. Don't ask me how I know....

I know the BMW group meets and does on road trips frequently. Who leads the off road rides? The staff?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:14 AM   #37
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,136
Richloam this weekend

Due to the start of hunting season, LarryGee and I took the 650s on the main dirt roads of the Richloam WMA yesterday, rather than taking the 250s and hitting the backwoods trails (neither of had bulletproof riding gear!)

The fireplace thing is just outside of Richloam, and neither of us could figure out why the f$#@&k someone would build it out in the middle of the woods.

What the pictures don't show is the Versys taking a dirt nap after losing an argument with some deep sand on it's fully-inflated street tires!

thisguy72, we'll hook up to ride when our schedules permit!

Larry, thanks for a great ride! (230+ miles)

Rich1

Rich2

Rich3

Rich4

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #38
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
What the pictures don't show is the Versys taking a dirt nap after losing an argument with some deep sand on it's fully-inflated street tires!
Hey, I wasn't going to say a word.....

It was a great ride and great company. I realized that I really, really, really, need to work on my sand skills.

It takes all the resistance I can muster NOT to try and counter steer when that front tire starts flailing around...

I don't know if it would be any different with the 250. My mind might trick me into thinking it's easier because of the knobbies on the 250.

Speaking of which, what should the tire pressure be if you know you are going to be riding both sand and pavement?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #39
thisguy72
Still Waves To Scooters

Oddometer: 132
Ya, we will ride soon. The_jarhead and I ended up going to Rancho and having an adventure. People crashed, people got lost, people got stuck in think brush, it was epic. The next time I go to Croom I'll let you know so you can take the 250 out in the sand. Rancho might even be better but you have to ride through about a mile and a half of sand to get to the good stuff so we can do Croom first. The lighter bike will be much easier for you in the sand.
thisguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #40
NY-KLR-Joe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Since...I always forget to drop in to ADV & this thread

My cell is 727-599-1522
Hit me up when any of you FF's is planning a ride.
I'm in Clearwater.

Been to Croom, some trails in NPR, Shady hills, Weeki Wachie.
Not been to Rancho or Richloam yet.
Have done the, "North run" with sportbikes while on my Vmax.

I enjoy a spirited pace on the street with my KLR 650.
Always game for off-road riding / exploring trails / forests.
200-300 mile days fine. This feels fruity, like I'm writing a personal ad.

NY-KLR-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #41
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Looking to get out and ride the 250 this coming weekend. Nothing too crazy. No stump jumping or creek walking.

Anyone interested, send me a pm. If your from the St.Pete/Clearwater area, I have a two up trailer and we can haul up.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:52 AM   #42
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

I'm limited to my Versys for now, which I've ridden with Larry on his 650GS on the easiest dirt roads only, because I sold the XT250 last night. Also, I'm tied up this coming weekend, but I definitely think this group should get together and ride soon. All my usual suspects ride street bikes and Harleys only.

I'll be shopping for another (third!) DR650, I think, or maybe a DRZ-400, (OK, or a WR250X!) so I can ride more than just smooth dirt roads with y'all.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #43
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Dude ! I can't believe you sold the 250 ! What were you thinking ! You know you are going to regret that. You should have kept the 250 and bought the a 400. Although.., I've seen your garage area. With all those vehicles and toys, probably not anymore room for even a Schwinn.

Seriously, though, while I like having a lighter weight bike, I don't find myself using it as often as I'd like. It seems that most of my riding does NOT include deep sand or difficult terrain and includes more unpaved and paved roads. Therefore, the dual sport gets more use.

I may sell the 250 someday. Just not ready to part with her yet.

PS: I just realized the Dixie Dual Sport Gobbler Ride is this weekend, therefore post #41 will have to be on a different weekend. Sorry

In case you are interested: http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/post...lable!-5563381

LarryGee screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 05:11 AM
Old 11-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #44
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

That should be a good ride! Exactly like the Devil's Creek ride DDS has each year (I think). Here's a link to one I did (I can't belive it!) FIVE years ago!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=dixie

I may be able to make that ride this Sunday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
Dude ! I can't believe you sold the 250 ! What were you thinking ! You know you are going to regret that. You should have kept the 250 and bought the a 400. Although.., I've seen your garage area. With all those vehicles and toys, probably not anymore room for even a Schwinn.

Seriously, though, while I like having a lighter weight bike, I don't find myself using it as often as I'd like. It seems that most of my riding does NOT include deep sand or difficult terrain and includes more unpaved and paved roads. Therefore, the dual sport gets more use.

I may sell the 250 someday. Just not ready to part with her yet.

PS: I just realized the Dixie Dual Sport Gobbler Ride is this weekend, therefore post #41 will have to be on a different weekend. Sorry

In case you are interested: http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/post...lable!-5563381

Old 11-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #45
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post

I'll be shopping for another (third!) DR650, I
I don't suppose you will want to buy your DR rack back? So solly, aint gonna happen.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote