Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
LasseNC OP
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,058
Yamaha R5 350, what is it like?

Hello

Considering bidding on an R5, but what are they like to live with?

I haven't found any forums for them, so what is the spares situation like?

Would like some input :)
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,488
I've got an RD350, and I absolutely love it. The differences are mainly that the R5 is piston ported and the RD is reed valved. What that means is that the R5 has a more abrupt powerband, but they're not really all that different. The RD has a six speed to the R5's five, and the RD has a front disk and the R5 a drum. I love the R5's look, better than the RD's, but that's just me. I believe that pistons are a lot more expensive then RD's, but other than that, I can't think of anything to warn you about. The two bikes are very similar, and you can swap parts around a lot. An RD top end will bolt on, if you really want the reed valves. Go for it! You might want to go over to 2strokeworld.com to get more info. Lots of great folks over there.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
LasseNC OP
XSessive!

Can you spot something totally off on this bike? Unoriginal parts, things are modified.

Bike in question:

Old 07-02-2011, 05:52 AM   #4
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
I had a Yamaha R5 as my first bike. What a fantastic first bike too ;)

Carry extra plugs, keep it oiled properly, and mind the pipe. They are good fun, but the brakes are good for only one good stop. Then you need to let them cool down a little before grabbing a handful again.

Mine was orange and black too. Thanks for dialing up the wayback for me.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 707
non stock parts

Only because you asked ,
Exhaust pipes and handle bars are not oe. but no big deal value wise unless you are a restorer. Probably and hopefully re jetted for the pipes.
The low bars are for a more cafe profile. Quick bike , Sunday blasts and surprising the cruisers ,might be tedious as a daily driver.
yours,Ed
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Had one of those R5s back in the day. Raced the crap out of it for a couple of years in the Pacific North West. Fast as hell, just couldn't slow down. The old drum brakes really were not up to it. They loved to rev. Rather buzzy at hwy speeds, but that would be expected from the design.

For general running around on the street, they were excellent. Always carry a spare set of plugs, as they did tend to fowl if running around town a lot. Sure had fun playing with the big twins that just could not accelerate as quick. Very easy to pop that front wheel up as well. Did my first ass plant off that bike.

Thanks for bringing back some memories to this old reprobate.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Sam Simons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Re: R5

I've owned several over the years....good machines. As mentioned,sourcing pistons/rings is usually a challenge. There were two types of piston rings used in that model,so if you find new oem pistons w/o matching rings,beware....Wiseco occasionally does a run of R5 pistons,which are essentially RD units without the reed windows cut in them.
Nice example. Bars,shocks,pipes,sidecover tuning forks emblem not standard,but a very nice machine.

Sam Simons screwed with this post 07-02-2011 at 10:25 AM Reason: additional info
Sam Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
R5 is totally different from the RD. The RD had reed valves making it more easy to ride on the street, the RD had a few more HP and was quicker, and the RD had a disc front brake which these things need REAL BAD. The R5 was a quick bike, but the RD350 would slay it in a drag race. Now, the R5 was cvery quick for what it was a d very smooth down the freeway as long as you weren't in the part of the power band where the 2 stroke carb surge takes place. Under thast or over it is great. Bling binging down the freeway is not fun, buzzing down it is captivating on a two stroke. Back roads make you feel like a ten year old on a bigger guys bicycle, nothing like it.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
R5 is totally different from the RD. The RD had reed valves making it more easy to ride on the street, the RD had a few more HP and was quicker, and the RD had a disc front brake which these things need REAL BAD. The R5 was a quick bike, but the RD350 would slay it in a drag race. Now, the R5 was cvery quick for what it was a d very smooth down the freeway as long as you weren't in the part of the power band where the 2 stroke carb surge takes place. Under thast or over it is great. Bling binging down the freeway is not fun, buzzing down it is captivating on a two stroke. Back roads make you feel like a ten year old on a bigger guys bicycle, nothing like it.
My A7SS will eat it for breakfast, and spit it's piston port internals onto the pavement.
But any old two stroke is fun to ride.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
My A7SS will eat it for breakfast, and spit it's piston port internals onto the pavement.
But any old two stroke is fun to ride.
Yes, but the A7SS was a rotary valve two stoke twin, not unlike the power of a reed valve two stroke twin, not a piston port two stroke twin. So a better race would be the RD350, not the R5. I loved the Kawasaki two stroke twins, rotary valves are bitchin for tq.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
More_Miles
über-n00b

Oddometer: 312
Laugh Hooligan bike

All the Yamaha Rx (R, RD, RD-LC, RD-YPVS/RZ) are instant hooligan makers. I've got one of the Canadian LC's. They were all giant killers of their era.

I'll agree with carrying spare plugs. My RD when ridden every day, goes through a minimum of two sets a summer. Plugs are cheaper than pistons! Unless you are comfortable and willing to do top end rebuilds (not difficult, no valve train) avoid the "power of lean!" Like all two strokes, the lube is in the fuel/air mix. If the auto-lube pump (I *think* the R5) has one, not sure) is missing or disconnected, which it was done for some machines that were raced, make sure you get the oil mix right. By the way, mixing oil in a tank at the pump is a PITA.

Yamaha two stokes are a hoot for sure, and you will never wear out a front tire. Something about being in the air all the time....
Old 07-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
Flydog
Flydog

Oddometer: 101
Mine is a blast, it does have an oil pump. I usually put a little two stroke oil in the tank of all my stinkwheels as a bit of insurance, the new synthetic stuff doesn't smoke as much as they used to anyway.
Attached Images

Flydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #13
Flydog
Flydog

Oddometer: 101
Even got a trophy once, right tank badge missing and all...
Attached Images

Flydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
LasseNC OP
XSessive!

Will I be able to keep a consistent 130km/h?
Old 07-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,488
I'd say yes, but you're pushing the envelope with that. If you're riding in big hills, no. These bikes work hard to go like they do. I don't think my r100 is much if any quicker than my worked over RD350, but generally it just sleeps through most of my riding, wheras on the RD it's all or nothing. On the RD I always have to downshift to 5th for hills, and sometimes 4th. The BMW I really don't need to downshift unless I drop below 40MPH or so. I love the hell out of my RD, but I'd never take it on a long trip, more out of mechanical sympathy than comfort's sake. I've never blown it up, but while riding it, I never forget that it's a real possibility.