Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
rodhersh OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Mountain bike for an old fat guy

I need to lose some weight, I'm currently about 295. I thought a mountain bike would be a good place to start. Can anyone rccomend a good all around bike for less than $2k? It will be used on road, fire roads and some single track in northern Colorado. Who offers the most bang for the buck? Thanks
rodhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
brands a-many, but i've heard the 29" are nice.

this company touts an innovative rider positioning which might be a good way to start. "pushing" the pedals while maintaining a more upright seating. http://www.electrabike.com/amsterdam/
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,562
Go to the Used Shit store.

Buy a big bicycle with a big seat.

Air up the tires.

Ride it.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,179
brands will get people going, but 29er's with front suspension, you cant go wrong.

i have a gary fisher cobia(about $1k). its all the bike i will ever need for road/path to mild single track. I did convert it to a nine speed, but thats just becuase i dont like the super deep gears nor need to go really fast on the road for the riding I do.

I guess my actual suggestion would be go to a bike shop, and tell them you have 1200-1500 bucks and you need shoes and a helmet to go with it. then ride stuff around the block. I really recommend finding a good shop becuase they will do things like swap the bars and saddle for you either cheap or free, and make setup adjustments at and after the sale.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,129
This one is a deal on a very nice bike http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702486

This one is a lower level model but still a nice bike at a reasonable price http://www.cannondale.com/catalog/pr...4/category/86/
Old 07-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
TinyBear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
I ride a 2009 Giant Boulder SE. Bike has served me well from fighting to make it around the block to being able to pull off single track trails and some longer trips down bike trails. Its a relaitivly cheap bike (WELL under $1000) but works well for me.

And biking is a GREAT way to help ya. I started restarted riding 3 years back when i weighed in at 320lbs. i now stand 260lbs with much more to go but the best part is riding is still a ton of fun.

A great place for info on cyling especially for bigger guys is this place.

Heres my bike and me when i started.

And the bike after a few of the needed additions (bigger seat a drink holder and a speedo/trip meter)
Old 07-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,357
Here's my 2 cents. I've been cycling competitively off and on for over 30 years. I wouldn't get hung up on brands and I wouldn't spend that much to start with. Go to a local bike shop and tell them you want to lose weight and get in shape. Find the place that listens to you and doesn't try to sell you shit you don't need right now. You can get something decent for well under a grand. Don't be afraid to buy a non current model. Or buy used, but that's tough if you don't really know what you're looking for.

I you get a bike and start riding and really start to enjoy it, you will learn what kind of equipment you might like long term. Cycling is like anything else and if you're really into it, you will start collecting bicycles.

And I'm not completely sold on the 29ers. I've got a GF Paragon which is nice mid level 29er. The bike is fine for open trails and fire roads, gravel, etc. But I still gravitate towards a 26 wheel bike if it's tight nasty single track, for the quicker steering.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post
Air up the tires.
Ride it.
This. More than anything else, this.

No point in buying an expensive bike that you don't ride. I bought a REALLY nice GT Karakoram with a good Shimano LX groupo 20 years ago at a garage sale. I think I paid $200 for it (smokin' deal at the time). No suspension but, a good, solid bicycle with nice components and a real pleasure to ride. Dumb thing is sitting in my garage rotting. I had visions of riding it everyday but, life got in the way and that never happened.

I too am an old, fat guy and could do wonders for myself if I just got on it and rode it. Craigslist could turn something up for you that's really nice for under $500. Buy it, ride it, upgrade later if you really take to it.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
cornercarver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 18,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBear View Post
And the bike after a few of the needed additions (bigger seat a drink holder and a speedo/trip meter)

Seems like the seat would be pretty uncomfortable when you are using it as a drinkholder?
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,163
+1 on the Giant. I got a Rincon about 5 years ago. ($400) it works great, no problems other than the front chain guard coming loose and then off at a bad time. I ride for exercise, not to go fast so the extra effort needed to move the cheaper bikes does not matter to me, as long as it moves without breaking i'm fine.
crampfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:00 AM   #11
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post

Air up the tires.

Ride it.
I'd like to add be sure it fits you. If the bike is uncomfortable you may not ride it,in fact I bet you won't. Take a look at this. Sure he's a bit of a nut and believes in his way but I also believe that type fit is good for someone returning after time away from cycling. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #12
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,578
Need to get my soon-to-be 50 fat ass back on the Trek. It's been feeling pretty neglected the last ten years or so...

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #13
rodhersh OP
Adventurer

Thank you all for your encouragement. I like the term "Clydesdale", sounds better than lard ass. I generally research everything to death and need to decide how much I want to spend. There seem to be some deals out there, I looked at a new Cannondale 120 one for $1700. Will probably go with something cheaper to start. Thanks for the advice and encouragement.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhersh View Post
Thank you all for your encouragement. I like the term "Clydesdale", sounds better than lard ass. I generally research everything to death and need to decide how much I want to spend. There seem to be some deals out there, I looked at a new Cannondale 120 one for $1700. Will probably go with something cheaper to start. Thanks for the advice and encouragement.
Your primary objective here seems to be weight-loss and general fitness. Thus, you want to consider what sort of riding you'll be doing for the most part and start from there. That will depend in part on your interest, but a great deal on your location and what sort of riding is available to you. For fitness/weight-control you'll want to get out frequently if not daily, so the logistics are going to be huge. The more hassle, the less you'll ride, so the ideal situation is to be able to hop on your bike at your back door and head out, be able to ride for a while, maybe starting with 30 or 40 minutes but ultimately getting up to 90 minutes or longer, at least some of the time. If you have to load your bike onto a car/truck and haul it somewhere to ride, you're just not going to do it as much and that'll defeat your primary purpose which is fitness and weight control.

So.....are you close to nice bike paths? Are they paved or gravel? Or is it going to be that you'll be riding mostly on paved roads? Single track? Logging roads? I guess I'd figure out what sort of riding, close to home, is available.

At your present weight, a skinny-tire road/racing bike probably isn't the way to go, you'll have way too many flats and won't enjoy it. But if you're going to be riding on pavement mostly, a dual suspension mountain bike isn't going to make you happy either. A few years ago when I needed to lose about 50 pounds and wanted to ride, mostly paved paths and roads but occasional short stretches of gravel, I decided that a cyclocross bike was the shit......and it was. Great versatile bike for a Clydesdale who wants to go a little faster than a 38 pound dual suspension mountain bike. OTOH, if you're going to be riding mostly on non-paved surfaces, either a 29er or a 26" mountain bike is definitely the way-to-go. In the price range you are talking about there are lots of options, either way you decide to go. Enjoy!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #15
rodhersh OP
Adventurer

[QUOTE=HardCase;16309574]
So.....are you close to nice bike paths? Are they paved or gravel? Or is it going to be that you'll be riding mostly on paved roads? Single track? Logging roads? I guess I'd figure out what sort of riding, close to home, is available.

Yes we have an extensive bike path system 5 minutes from the house

At your present weight, a skinny-tire road/racing bike probably isn't the way to go,

That's the rub, I have a beautiful old Schwinn Super Sport roadbike that I'm too heavy to ride.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: