User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Linchpin OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Back to Big Sur

Starting this thread hoping that it will motivate me to finish writing it. It is more fun to ride and work on bikes than writing about it.

California HWY 1 May 2011

May 27th Day 1
After working all Thursday night I made it out the doors at 7:00 A.M. and got on the bike. I had loaded it the previous day so I wouldn't have to go by the house before leaving. The weather was perfect. Light breeze and cool but not cold. I swung around the west side of city and hit I-15 on the south end of town. I clicked through the gears, found the right speed and relaxed into the ride. I had to make it from Vegas to Fresno by that afternoon to meet up with my brother. He had been meandering down through Oregon and Northern California over the last few days and would spend the next week running up the coast.
Just outside of Barstow, CA the wind kicked up and started knocking me around the lane. I slowed down to 60 and made it into town to fill up the bike before getting on highway 58.

Outside of Barstow

The wind was relentless and I had to lean down on the tank just to keep the bike upright. Just before heading up the mountain to Tehachapi, across an open area the side wind caught me and I had to slide off the seat to help lean the bike against the wind. This day was starting to suck after being up all night at work but I kept going. I stopped in Tehachapi to top off and relax for a minute. A guy filling up his truck started talking to me and said the wind was bad up here but once I drop down into Bakersfield it would get better. I jumped on the bike and headed over the hill. Going slowly. As I started down the other side the wind started to let up and I was able to lean back. Then I picked up speed and flew down the mountain into Bakersfield. I felt much better now, and with a grin on my face I pointed it north on the 99. I was running a little late to meet my brother and called him to let him know.
I only had a little over 100 miles to go, so I put it in the left lane and opened it up. Cruising at 80 it didn't take that long to get to the Burger King parking lot and park. He wasn't there yet so I grabbed my toothbrush and headed inside to clean up a bit.
Once my brother got there we filled up the bikes and headed out highway 41 to try to find a camping spot. As I had figured everything was full because of the holiday weekend.
We ended up staying at the Black Hawk lodge in Coarsegold. The place has terrible reviews but it didn't seem that bad to me and the restaurant was open. After a burger and beer I was done for the day. After being up almost 30 hours it was time to pack it in.

www.castmefree.com
Linchpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Linchpin OP
Adventurer

Day 2

May 28th Day 2

Got up early the next day and packed up the bikes, lubed my chain and found out that my brother was charged almost $1200 for the room. Seemed a little pricey so he went to the office to sort it out.
Jumped on the 41 and headed south. We wanted to cut over to the ocean around Cambria.

Stopped for a smoke at Cholame. It was kind of lame.

Great riding for the morning. It warmed up nice. The wind was light and we even got some curvy roads thrown in.
Once we got over near Cambria there was a sign that said Highway 1 was closed between there and Big Sur because it had washed into the ocean. Pulled out the maps and decided to head back north on the 101 to Marina and stay the night there.
At the beach in Marina.

We couldn't find a hotel so headed back inland to Salinas and got a Motel 6 for the night. Got some decent Mexican food at Los Altos restaurant and crashed.

www.castmefree.com
Old 07-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Linchpin OP
Adventurer

Day 3

Got up pretty early and headed back over to Marina to get the 1 south to Big Sur. Grabbed some coffee at the Starbucks and were entertained by a homeless man telling jokes.
You can pick your nose, you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your friends nose, kind of thing.
Then it was on Hwy 1 and heading south. Perfect weather with a chill that morning.
Stopped at Bixby Bridge for a picture.

Then cruising down, shifting gears, leaning through the curves. Stopped for gas in Big Sur and decided to find out where the road was closed.

Can't remember the name of the town now. But they did have a good calamari sandwich.

And a tubby cat that my brother seemed to like.

After lunch we headed back towards Big Sur and again I wanted to stop at the Henry Miller Library. When we got there we found hundreds of people lined up outside. We went passed and pulled over in the dirt parking lot.
As I got off the bike a girl in a new Mustang pulled up and asked me where the library was. I told her that she couldn't miss it with all the people outside. She told me that the singer from the Black Crowes was playing there. Too much hub bub for me. Will have to go some other time.

Took a few pics before making our way back to Bixby Bridge.

My brother wanted to see where Kerouac hung out so we turned it down the dirt road. Stopped to take a picture and figure out what we were doing for the night. We though we might camp but he was running low on gas. We pushed it a little farther until we saw a sign that said it was private property for the next 12 miles or some such thing. Decided to head back down to Hwy 1. Ended up staying around Castroville which was only a few miles north of where we started. Another night in Motel 6.

www.castmefree.com

Linchpin screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 05:08 PM
Old 07-09-2011, 12:58 AM   #4
OaklandLion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
cool
2007 KTM 450exc - - my wild monkey
OaklandLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
more. please.
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Linchpin OP
Adventurer

Day 4

May 30th Day 4

Got up early to make the stretch to San Francisco. We both wanted to spend the day there and do some sight seeing.
A great morning with little traffic, flying through the curves. Stopped to take some pictures of the lighthouse.

Then back on the road to Half Moon Bay. Jumped on highway 92 and head down to San Jose to check out the Winchester Mystery House. A friend had told me that if I had the time I should check it out. It is one crazy place and has an interesting history. A crazy old woman with too much money continously built on the house 24 hours a day to keep the spirits at bay. No pictures are allowed inside.

The Gardens

The fruit drying room

It was fun to check the place out and probably woulnd't have seen it if I was alone. Back on the road we headed up to San Francisco. Got another Motel 6 for the night. The one downtown. I had stayed here with my wife a few years ago near the. Crazy area at night but not so bad during the day.
We unloaded and walked over to City Lights book store. I am not into the hippy lifestyle but love the beats. They were some crazy f**kers.

The streets of San Fran

A huge state flag

A couple of bears on a moped.

Jack Kerouac Alley

City Lights Bookstore (No Ferlinghetti)

Across the street is the beat museum. We had to check it out. They had some rare first editions that were beyond my budget. Pretty cool to check out though.

Jack's Jacket as worn by him during the time of Desolation Angels

Ginsberg's Organ. Gross.

Back out on the streets we walked down to the pier for dinner.

That's not a crowbar this is a Crow Bar

At the pier I had to go to Neptunes for the clam chowder. It is the best I have ever had. I sent this pic to the wife to make her jealous. She was.

After that it was time to head back to the hotel to get some sleep.

www.castmefree.com
Old 07-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,745
Thanks for the pictures of the Winchester mystery house i worked there as a tour guide summer 1958. it was fun
ed
sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
Linchpin OP
Adventurer

Mystery House

We had a blast at the Winchester Mansion. Totally worth the trip.

www.castmefree.com
Old 07-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
Linchpin OP
Adventurer

May 31st Day 5
Got up early, had some coffee and headed down to the bikes.

After loading up, we were on the hilly streets of San Fran.

Across the Golden Bridge and stopped to take a few pictures.

back onto HWY 1 it was starting to rain off and on. We stopped to put on some rain gear and take a break.

Twisting and turning north there was little traffic that day. We looked at the map and decided to try for the last campground before we hit the 101.

Stopped for lunch in some little town.

Stopped in Fort Bragg to pick up some necessities and get gas. Then went to the KOA. The lady there asked where we wanted to tent spot and we said as close to the beach as possible. She said why not on the beach. Sold.
It was still early enough in the day to set up camp and walk the beach. Cooked some freeze dried mac n cheese and listen the tide come in.
Never camped on the beach before.

www.castmefree.com
Old 07-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
Linchpin OP
Adventurer

Day 6

June 1st Day 6

Day 6 was the last day with the brother. Got up and packed the bikes and finished up on HWY 1. It was cloudy
and a little wet that morning but still a nice ride through the forest. We stopped at the junction to figure out the plan.

We decided to head down 101 to Leggett to get some breakfast before splitting up. After breakfast it was still
drizzly out so I put the rain pants back on, we said our goodbyes and I went south while he went north.

Made my way to Highway 20, around Lake Mendocino, Clear Lake, over the mountain, down into the valley and over to 99 south.

I was trying to make it outside of Bakersfield to camp but couldn't quite make it. Made it down to Tulare and stayed at, you guess it, Motel 6.

Got some food and the nearby Burger King and went to bed.

www.castmefree.com
Old 07-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
Jedi5150
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
... Pulled out the maps and decided to head back north on the 101 to Marina and stay the night there.
At the beach in Marina.

We couldn't find a hotel so headed back inland to Salinas and got a Motel 6 for the night. Got some decent Mexican food at Los Altos restaurant and crashed.
Great ride report

Sorry to nitpick, but this beach isn't in Marina, this is Monterey, which is a much more famous city than Marina (it was the State Capital of California many years ago before Sacramento). Only reason I know is that I live in Marina, about 6 miles to the north, and our beach isn't as nice. It's funny, nobody has heard of Marina, I can drive an hour away and tell people where I live and they say, "Where is that?" Monterey, on the other hand, everyone has heard of.
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
JED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Just returned from about the same area couple days ago. Had a sandwich at Alice's restaurant and must have seen 500 bikes come and go during lunch. Famous destination for the weekend bikers, but I recommend you go for the show not the food! Also did you see the yellow GoCars for rent in SFO? I think about 50cc motorscooter back drive wheel with two front wheels and seating side by side for two. The GPS is to lead you around SanF. with turns and points of interest pointed out as you approach. Our machine was well past its prime and the GPS only spoke spanish to us. It turned into a two hour exercise in staying alive!! Thanks for the report!
JED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
Linchpin OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5150 View Post
Great ride report

Sorry to nitpick, but this beach isn't in Marina, this is Monterey, which is a much more famous city than Marina (it was the State Capital of California many years ago before Sacramento). Only reason I know is that I live in Marina, about 6 miles to the north, and our beach isn't as nice. It's funny, nobody has heard of Marina, I can drive an hour away and tell people where I live and they say, "Where is that?" Monterey, on the other hand, everyone has heard of.
Thanks for the info. My note taking is usually non existent and I have to look at a map when I get back.
I still can't remember the name of the town that we stopped in where the 1 was closed. Been there four times too. How the mind slips as you get old.

www.castmefree.com
Old 07-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #14
Linchpin OP
Adventurer

Day 7

June 2nd Day 7

Final Day.

The last day's ride was only about 350 miles. Packed the bike up and hit the road. Made it down to Bakersfield and gassed up. Then back over Tehachapi. Windy and cold at the top so I pulled over to get a picture.

Nothing too exciting for most of the day. I was getting great gas mileage though. I usually hit around the 180 mark and the light starts flashing. With the tail wind I was over 200 and no light. Thought the sensor was broken so pulled in to fill up. Turns out I was getting about 63 miles a gallon.

In baker I stopped for a snack and leg stretch before the final run to home. There was a group of five older guys at the AM/PM that I talked to for awhile. They were heading up to norther Arizona/Southern Utah for some off roading. One guy was towing his dirt bike with his street bike. Hadn't seen that before.

Then it was a quick shot home.

www.castmefree.com