Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
The Other JC OP
4 year lurker..

Oddometer: 190
2007 R1200GS Adv - Clutch and oil leak - where from ?

Hello All
2007 R1200GS Adv 33,132Klm
I got the dreaded clutch slip at high speed hard pull yesterday.
After reading around I suspect my issue is oil on the clutch plate - the lever is not impeded. This bike has not been ridden hard and I usually change gear without disengaging clutch.
There is leaking oil at the bottom of the engine under the gearbox, so I suspect oil has been leaking into the clutch bay and has soiled the friction disk.

My first thought was $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ from BMW for fixing it, but after reading around some threads here and UKGSer, I reckon I could fix it myself and install Touratechs new oil resistant clutch

See attached picture of oil wetness all over the fins at the bottom of the engine. I am just trying to backtrack and think if anything I have done would have caused this. I installed Lennies sprockets and changed the gearbox oil recently.. just trying to cover all bases. Would hate to think I caused it somehow!!.

If I am going to take it all apart, I would like to know what I am up against prior to stripping it down

What I am not sure of and cannot find is the actually places the oil could be leaking from, ie what seals may need replacing exactly and how easy they are to replace.
Would appreciate a heads up on the seal(s) to replace.

thanks in advance.
Julian

The Other JC screwed with this post 07-03-2011 at 12:43 AM
The Other JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
It's either leaking from the seal around the output shaft in the back of the engine or the seal around the input shaft in the front of the transmission. I think the latter is the one more often reported as being the cause of the leak. Check the oil level in the transmission, if you just topped it up you should be able to tell if its missing a bunch.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:26 AM   #3
The Other JC OP
4 year lurker..

Thanks for that.

Has anyone any experience in replacing either of the shafts sealing ring?
Scanning the BMW RepROM is none too helpful in this case.

What is the method of removing the old seal?, and will I need a special tool to install the new seal or can I get away with normal tools to do the same trick, and what depth does the seal go to.

There seems scant information on this particular issue. I just had a smell of the oil to see which side of the clutch it is from - engine or gearbox - a great tip - but it doesn't smell or I cannot smell it, and the oil is fairly new in both engine and gearbox so its not dirty from the engine side. I am guessing its maybe engine oil, as the gearbox oil is fairly pungent in the bottle. This goes against the wisdom that says its most likely the gearbox input seal that has gone.

Any further insights would be welcome.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:36 AM   #4
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,677
I recently had a similar experience and assumed the worst but it turned out to be a simple fix. Check out this thread:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...lutch+slipping
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
The Other JC OP
4 year lurker..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
I recently had a similar experience and assumed the worst but it turned out to be a simple fix. Check out this thread:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...lutch+slipping
I really hope it is, but with the oil leaking out the bottom I doubt it.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
The Other JC OP
4 year lurker..

Was it the gearbox overfill?

Regarding the oil leak on my bike, it occured to me that when I replaced the gear box oil recently, it took 900ml of oil before exiting the fill whole. On hindsight maybe the bike was not on level enough ground - thought it looks level.

I understand it should have been 800ml. Could the extra 100ml cause pressure and a leak?
I have read that the gearbox is not sealed, so it should not blow the seal, but where would the extra leak to if that is the case?

I am fairly certain now it is the gearbox oil, I have caught of whiff of gearbox oil when I wiped the oil with a rag, though not nearly as pungent as I expected.

Or is it just one of those coincidences that keep me awake at night wondering?
I will be spewing if that is the case. Fuggin' expensive overfill!

Regards Julian
Old 07-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
There is a vent on top.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is online now   Reply With Quote