User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
bcbullet OP
Breatheless

Oddometer: 344
Am/fm radios.

I know a few threads have come and gone on radios, but I am looking for a quick bit of guidance on buying a radio for AM reception primarily and FM as a secondary consideration. I live 45 miles from the only major center in the area and would like to have some white noise to help me pass the time. Weather notification would be an added bonus but not of extreme importance. I live on a bench by a river and have zero line of site to the city due to a 100 foot embankment immediately adjacent to home.
In regards to research, I have looked at both Sangean and Tecsun, but I keep flip flopping whether portable or tabletop. The main contenders at this point are the PL-660 portable or the WR-11 tabletop. We are not talking scads of money for either, but I would rather get something that will actually pull in a station the first time out.
As an aside, the radio in my Honda Fit gets the local AM but refuses to pull in the FM...
Any thoughts????
Old 12-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
bcbullet OP
Breatheless

PS...Klay, if you will help me out I will get rid of the Breatheless...
Old 12-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
phillyrube
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Stay away from that CC Radio. I've had 2, and the digital readouts crap out. Supposedly Sangean has fixed it, but the customer service sucks, so they are out.

Check out this website:

http://radiojayallen.com/

Lots of good reviews on radios. Based on that, I picked up a nice used GE Superadio II, which I use with a Select-a-Tenna. I easily pull in a couple of Philly stations at night, over 280 miles away.
phillyrube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
Are you meaning sw or am?
I have a sangean and it is great for fm but have not listened for am.
Its one of the pocket radios.
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
NJjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
GE Super radio, great AM reception.
Not sure if it's still produced?
NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJjeff View Post
GE Super radio, great AM reception.
Not sure if it's still produced?
I've had a GE Super Radio and love it for AM.
I just looked, this one looks exactly like the old GE one but is made by RCA.
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RP7887-Sup.../dp/B00120WRSU
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
gremor
RS'er

Oddometer: 939
Sangean makes a good am / fm radio.

I've purchased 3 of them on Amazon.

But I've matured. Now I'd make sure I was drunk before I tried to fuck a snake"..........Bueller
gremor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
Bobk0
MacGyver Minded.

Oddometer: 233
I have a Katio crank radio. It works great and is handy to have around....the cons are its body. The housing feels cheap, and it's shortwave range is not very wide. Sangean seems to make a good radio.

And then there's always SDR dongles for your PC. I have an R820T2 digital TV dongle and a ham it up up-converter for my PC. With a long wire antenna I am able to hear Cuba pretty clear from Nc. The SDR stuff is quite amazing.
Bobk0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyrube View Post
Stay away from that CC Radio. I've had 2, and the digital readouts crap out. Supposedly Sangean has fixed it, but the customer service sucks, so they are out.

Check out this website:

http://radiojayallen.com/

Lots of good reviews on radios. Based on that, I picked up a nice used GE Superadio II, which I use with a Select-a-Tenna. I easily pull in a couple of Philly stations at night, over 280 miles away.
I've had my Sangean/CC Radio for over 10 years, and love it.

About a year ago, the display crapped out. I called CC Radio in Fortuna, CA, and the service was exemplary. The nice lady explained there was an issue with the displays, and Sangean had upgraded the replacements. She suggested I return the radio for repair, which I did. Turnaround was 2 weeks, and the bill came to a whopping $0. That's right- on a 10 year old radio, well out of any kind of warranty period, they replaced my display free of charge.

So much for crappy customer service.....

That and the radio seems to have an awesome tuner. Sitting on the hood of my car, it will pull in many stations the car radio does not.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #10
phillyrube
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
I've had my Sangean/CC Radio for over 10 years, and love it.

About a year ago, the display crapped out. I called CC Radio in Fortuna, CA, and the service was exemplary. The nice lady explained there was an issue with the displays, and Sangean had upgraded the replacements. She suggested I return the radio for repair, which I did. Turnaround was 2 weeks, and the bill came to a whopping $0. That's right- on a 10 year old radio, well out of any kind of warranty period, they replaced my display free of charge.

So much for crappy customer service.....

That and the radio seems to have an awesome tuner. Sitting on the hood of my car, it will pull in many stations the car radio does not.

First one that crapped out I sent back. There was the usual shipping charge to them, and the time without it. Second one they wouldn't touch, but they did offer me a $50.00 credit towards another product. Never used it.

CC Radio's claim to fame is the big ferrite bar antenna. The electronics look like something my kid cobbled together. The case doesn't have a carrying handle, just the indent in the back.

Sorry, my Superadio does just fine.
phillyrube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
bcbullet OP
Breatheless

So CCranes are made by Sangean?
Old 12-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,752
Best I ever had was the now obsolete Sangean 909, a full sized radio - I gave it to my dad who loaned it to the handy man. wrecked.

I replaced it with the 919, the version before the current one. It works well but I wish for a bigger speaker, and that the AA batteries lasted longer - I use rechargeables but still.

My other fave with a big speaker is the original "freeplay" with the big spring drive generator, solar panel, rechargeable battery pack and an LED task light...that baby works no matter what but the receiver is not especially hot - but coupled with a Select-A-Tenna, powerful combo.

In fact, the Select-A-Tenna is probably more important than the radio when it comes to AM. That thing almost beats my amateur radio that cost several thousand bucks.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #13
bcbullet OP
Breatheless

Not top of the range but I ordered up a Tecsun 660 and one for my father for Christmas.
Thanks everyone.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #14
JRAM
sherpa

Oddometer: 41
I have this Sangean radio and love it. It is model wr-11. I use it mostly for FM and it works good with the included external antenna. The AM also works good but I mostly like this radio for the sound. It has a nice low tone with lots of bass that will fill the room with sound. Bonus Aux in jack, no programming, no remote, it just works.

P1019596 by alperpa2001, on Flickr
JRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #15
NJjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
JRAM
Looks like a great straight forward product. Just checked, $76 on amazon.
NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: