Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
Barry OP
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,060
Late Model Golf TDI Owners - Golf good choice or bad?

Leaning towards a Corolla (2008-2010 ish) as a daily driver for the MPG. Was looking at Golf TDI that are roughly same price, but I am reading of owner issues.

What say you Golf TDI owners here. You guys and gals are real people, I believe you. Don't believe the interwebs.

Thanks in advance. I was reading of high repair bills on nearly new cars, fuel pump issues, etc. Still have more reading to do. Corolla looks like a safer bet, but way more boring. MPG is what I'm after, I drive no less than 100 miles per day minimum.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,891
Good!!!
Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:20 AM   #3
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,524
we have a 2010 jetta tdi (pretty much the same as golf tdi) that's over 130k miles now.

looks and drives like new.

was trouble free until ~100k.

since that time, we've had a hpfp failure ($6k, but covered under extended warranty), dpf and egr failure (around $2k?), and just last week, a turbo failure ($2400). had new struts a few weeks ago, but that's fair enough with that mileage.

ouch. but other than that, no issues.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
we have a 2010 jetta tdi (pretty much the same as golf tdi) that's over 130k miles now.

looks and drives like new.

was trouble free until ~100k.

since that time, we've had a hpfp failure ($6k, but covered under extended warranty), dpf and egr failure (around $2k?), and just last week, a turbo failure ($2400). had new struts a few weeks ago, but that's fair enough with that mileage.

ouch. but other than that, no issues.

That would fairly talk me out of buying a new TDi. Then again, I have an '05 Duramax that I've replaced the head gaskets on it myself ($2700 instead of the dealer's $5500) and a set of injectors for this thing costs about $5k installed...

But...

Spending north of $10K in repairs on a 4 year old vehicle?
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
That would fairly talk me out of buying a new TDi. Then again, I have an '05 Duramax that I've replaced the head gaskets on it myself ($2700 instead of the dealer's $5500) and a set of injectors for this thing costs about $5k installed...

But...

Spending north of $10K in repairs on a 4 year old vehicle?
well, we spent just north of $4k (extended warranty on the hpfp as i said - if you want to lump that sunk cost in, it'd be just north of $5k), and that was over two years... as i said, it looks and drives like new - what would you do, drop $20k-$30k+ on a new car instead? it's annoying spending money to get a car fixed, but it's almost always more economical than buying a new one (and even if we were going to get rid of it, we'd probably get it fixed anyway - the repair would otherwise be taken into account (and then some) on a sale). and it IS seriously in great shape - no shakes or rattles, interior and exterior are spotless.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,054
Fair enough. I had an '01 Jetta TDi with the slushbox that had to be replaced at about 120K. Known issue, I would've been wise to wait for a 5 speed to come my way but I REALLY wanted the TDi. Great car other than the transmission - handled awesome, good on fuel even with a rocket box on top, and did fine in snow with good winter tires on it.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
roamerr
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Dsg tranny is horrible for reliability. I'm also not a fan of VW due to electronics issues.

The corolla is a far safer bet that will have better resale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roamerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Barry OP
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,060
Yah, based on what I see here and research, I'm about done with the TDI. Like the idea and the package, no way I'm rolling those particular dice.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,935
My wife has a 2012 Golf just turned 30,000 miles. Stick, tech package.

It is an awesome car to drive- I love driving it when I get the chance.

It has had 2 expensive repairs under warranty. The last one they had to replace a few sensors and the entire intake manifold assembly. I asked the service guy to quote me what it would have been out of warranty and he said roughly $2200. The first repair, which I can't remember exactly, was similar in cost.

I'm leaning toward switching over to leasing our vehicles as soon as I'm out of school.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,604
50,000 mile TDi owner..couldn't be happier...if you have DSG, shift it in, in town driving..helps longevity a ton...

A TDi for an in town commuter is not a great choice because of egr coking problems..the car likes to get fully warmed up...hot..

Our car is just over three years old...

The dreaded exploding fuel pump is the worst issue I've read about...there is an aftermarket filter for it..but my independent mechanic doesn't think it's worth it..

We run Amsoil in ours with 10k oil changes...
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
50,000 mile TDi owner..couldn't be happier...if you have DSG, shift it in, in town driving..helps longevity a ton...

A TDi for an in town commuter is not a great choice because of egr coking problems..the car likes to get fully warmed up...hot..

Our car is just over three years old...

The dreaded exploding fuel pump is the worst issue I've read about...there is an aftermarket filter for it..but my independent mechanic doesn't think it's worth it..

We run Amsoil in ours with 10k oil changes...
What did your mechanic charge for the 40k mile transmission service?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:50 PM   #12
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,680
6k on my 2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI No problems yet...
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #13
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,461
The aftermarket fuel filter goes in the return line from the injector rail to the tank so if the HPFP lets go, it doesn't fill the entire fuel loop with metal shavings.

Fuel lubricity is the biggest issue. Last I read, VW wants a wear scar rating of 460 and US fuel is 520, which is worse. Maybe VW has since hardened the pump innards, maybe not. They ship the cars from Mexico fully fueled so that the HPFP has a chance to break in before being subjected to our crap diesel. Reading indicates that B20 or an aftermarket lubricity additive is a good idea. Be better if our diesel were of higher quality.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:54 PM   #14
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
What did your mechanic charge for the 40k mile transmission service?
Complete 40k service (I supplied motor oil, fuel, cabin, air and oil filters, they sourced DSG fluid and filter..) was...$600 maybe..don't recall precisely..but right there..not cheap by any stretch..but quote from dealer was a solid $200 over that..$840 if I remember right.

The DSG fluid kills you....I have found a third party for it, still not cheap..

And too, not sure if the "shift in town" thing is true but alot of guys swear by it on the forums..it's on the internet..you know it's true..
Old 07-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #15
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
The aftermarket fuel filter goes in the return line from the injector rail to the tank so if the HPFP lets go, it doesn't fill the entire fuel loop with metal shavings.

Fuel lubricity is the biggest issue. Last I read, VW wants a wear scar rating of 460 and US fuel is 520, which is worse. Maybe VW has since hardened the pump innards, maybe not. They ship the cars from Mexico fully fueled so that the HPFP has a chance to break in before being subjected to our crap diesel. Reading indicates that B20 or an aftermarket lubricity additive is a good idea. Be better if our diesel were of higher quality.
This...^^^

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: