Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #301
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
I've only had air pistols before so everything was subsonic, will the crack from a pellet going supersonic be that loud? Basically will I piss off my neighbors 30-40 feet away?
It really depends on the rifle. I have a Gamo and a Benjamin. They are both pretty loud. The Benjamin has the same sharp crack as a .22, the Gamo is a duller noise, but it is still pretty loud. My neighbor behind our house knows when I am shooting the Benjamin. They have not said anything, but if I am shooting chipmunks, they send their kids out. They know I will not shoot with their kids out. Thankfully, they do not have custody that often.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #302
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
It really depends on the rifle. I have a Gamo and a Benjamin. They are both pretty loud. The Benjamin has the same sharp crack as a .22, the Gamo is a duller noise, but it is still pretty loud. My neighbor behind our house knows when I am shooting the Benjamin. They have not said anything, but if I am shooting chipmunks, they send their kids out. They know I will not shoot with their kids out. Thankfully, they do not have custody that often.
Damn, well I know it's legal state wide but I'll talk to some of the local cops I know to get the OK which will also help me deal with any potential complaints.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #303
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Damn. It never ceases to amaze me what nice stocks some airgun manufacturers use. You rarely see walnut like that on factory rimfire or centerfire rifles. You have to pay hundreds for an aftermarket stock to get burl like that.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #304
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,447
The Gamo is a spring piston and the Benjamin is compressed air (pump up with a heavy duty bike style pump, shoot till the gauge indicates that it needs more air.) When I bought the Benjamin, I figured that it would be a little quieter and was kind of surprised when I started shooting it. It is more accurate and I like the trigger better, so I keep shooting it.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #305
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,072
The HW90 has a louder crack to it than I had hoped, but I don't think it'll elicit too much attention from neighbors, especially if the wind is blowing.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #306
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
The HW90 has a louder crack to it than I had hoped, but I don't think it'll elicit too much attention from neighbors, especially if the wind is blowing.
It does depend on what the neighbors are "listening for"- to the initiated, the sound can be fairly distinct, even if not very loud. Sounds more like a spring/air (of course) than a gunshot. SOmetimes the pellet hitting a hard surface (like hardibacker) can be telling as well
Old 11-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #307
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
SOmetimes the pellet hitting a hard surface (like hardibacker) can be telling as well
The Hardibacker shooting was done at a secluded location by the Platte; the only sounds pellets will be making in my back yard will be that made by hitting the surface of a squirrel.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #308
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Quiet is Good

Quote:
Damn, well I know it's legal state wide but I'll talk to some of the local cops I know to get the OK which will also help me deal with any potential complaints.

I got one of the Gamo Whispers figuring that my neighbors wouldn't notice an occasional attempt at rodent reduction. Testing revealed that the light pellets are all supersonic so the 'crack' remains a problem. With heavier pellets it is 'pretty quiet' but somehow they always notice my attempts. Fortunately for me, they are great neighbors, appreciate the effort and have even borrowed the gun for the same reason. I could actually use a 12 gauge (no, it isn't legal this close to other residences) and they would not complain. Lacking really good neighbors, you might be better off making a trap but that undermines the purchase of another gun, which is almost as important as another bike!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #309
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
I have a gamo whisper and while not the best thing in the world the suppressor on the end does help keep the noise down when in a neighborhood. The dogs treed a raccoon in the back yard so I got to shoot it a couple of nights ago and was impressed with it being as quiet as it was

Air rifles are fun but it was still depressing to have to break out the air rifle to shoot a raccoon when I have so many better options for such things that don't work in a neighborhood like mine
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #310
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I got one of the Gamo Whispers figuring that my neighbors wouldn't notice an occasional attempt at rodent reduction. Testing revealed that the light pellets are all supersonic so the 'crack' remains a problem. With heavier pellets it is 'pretty quiet' but somehow they always notice my attempts. Fortunately for me, they are great neighbors, appreciate the effort and have even borrowed the gun for the same reason. I could actually use a 12 gauge (no, it isn't legal this close to other residences) and they would not complain. Lacking really good neighbors, you might be better off making a trap but that undermines the purchase of another gun, which is almost as important as another bike!

Bruce
No need for a trap.....unless the paper target population explodes in my yard

Just looking to brush up on my marksmanship without having to drive 2 towns over.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #311
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:

Just looking to brush up on my marksmanship without having to drive 2 towns over.
I'm selling my QB-79. Check page 18. It's quiet. PM me if you're interested.

--"Nope, it's a playground"..
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #312
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars View Post
I'm selling my QB-79. Check page 18. It's quiet. PM me if you're interested.

Eveyones pages could be diferent , what post # is it , Thanks

and yea , I need something to shoot .

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #313
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,712
Post #268. I want to keep the scope/mounts. If you can't fill the air bottle, I've got some CO2 tanks. Take your pick and we'll deal from there. Or buy both....

--"Nope, it's a playground"..
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #314
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,186
would the crosman/benjamin Titan NP in .22 make a good first hunting air rifle ? the reviews seems pretty good and the price point is about right. I dont really want to go over the $150-175 mark
I am looking for something for cotton tail and quail .. long story short I got access to 20 private acres where these things are all over with very few natural predators. I thought going with a air gun may be a little challenging then going out with my shot gun.

rifle in question

JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:30 AM   #315
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
Eveyones pages could be diferent , what post # is it , Thanks

and yea , I need something to shoot .
I have a QB78 and could not be more happy with the thing. I can hit a dime sized target at 20yards no problem at all...all day long from a rest. I have found it seems to also like most pellets, you do have to make some scope adjustments in switching from pellet type to pellet type, but I am amazed how well this thing shoots.....thanks again for tuning me on to the QB series air rifles. Them Chinese are getting REALLY good.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: