Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #391
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,031
God damn that Diana has a lot more wallop than I was expecting

It's putting a .22 domed pellet through 400ish pages of phone book at 15 yards. I think a pointed pellet would probably zip right through it.

The rifle is great. The trigger feels too soft for me, but I have yet to really play with any of the adjustments yet. I can never tell exactly when it's going to release. It has three adjustments, and the instructions tell what does what, but I don't know what the terms mean, like "pull off" so I'm not really sure what to adjust yet.

My groups suck -- after about 40 rounds last night I was averaging about a 2" group at 15 yards And I'm having trouble sighting in the iron (fiber optic) sights because I'm finding it hard to focus cleanly on the sights but still be able to see the target well enough to aim at it. I should probably move it into ten yards and see if that's easier. I'm trying to use the artillery hold but god damn this is a jumpy rifle. It flies all over the place when you pull the trigger. Guess I need to practice more! I thought 250 pellets would take me a while, but after last night's session I can see I'd be wrong!! Better buy some more quick!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #392
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
God damn that Diana has a lot more wallop than I was expecting

It's putting a .22 domed pellet through 400ish pages of phone book at 15 yards. I think a pointed pellet would probably zip right through it.
I know, right? Surprising. On the plus side, I've finally found the perfect use for like 3 years worth of Cycle World mags that I'd been hoarding.
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #393
Cris
AB+

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by redirt View Post
WOW ^^^^

I'm still learning about the wide world of "bb" guns
That's a very nice piece of work, where does one find out more? I'm learning on a 2240 that's slowly becoming something else..
Hey thanks!!
I have been into air rifles for many years. Primarily rifles. Springers and Pre-charge... Target and hunting...

A good place to get info is any of the air gun forums...

I am not an authority on the 2240, but there are a lot of guys who are nuts about that rig.

Thanks!
Cris
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #394
Cris
AB+

Hey Lucifermutt,

You are headed down the right track in your shooting technique.

Air rifles tend to take quite some time to break in as well. I have found that any of mine were usually starting to group in nicely after about 2,000 rounds.

For a new springer, I would sit with a few tins of pellets in front of the TV and load, cock, and fire, into a taped up Yellow Pages (point blank) until the pellets were gone.

I don't say that to frighten folks, but it simply takes a lot of rounds. The barrels like a little bit of leading but (at the same time) not too much.

While it's new, check the stock screws frequently as well, as this is the primary cause for accuracy issues.

Don't be afraid to try different pellet manufacturers as some guns are very particular. I say this after many many thousands of rounds sent down range in all of my rigs.

Do not use pellets that are too light in a springer as it causes undue stress on the internals. PCP's like as heavy a pellet as possible for max FPE and accuracy.

Matter of fact, when I shoot competitively, I clean and weigh each match pellet to get as consistent as possible.

Once a gun is shooting well, don't do anything to it until something in the shooting pattern changes. Leave it alone.

Anyhoo, lemme know if I can be of assistance with nay other info!

Thanks!
Cris
Old 07-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #395
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
Hey Lucifermutt,

You are headed down the right track in your shooting technique.

Air rifles tend to take quite some time to break in as well. I have found that any of mine were usually starting to group in nicely after about 2,000 rounds.

For a new springer, I would sit with a few tins of pellets in front of the TV and load, cock, and fire, into a taped up Yellow Pages (point blank) until the pellets were gone.

I don't say that to frighten folks, but it simply takes a lot of rounds. The barrels like a little bit of leading but (at the same time) not too much.

While it's new, check the stock screws frequently as well, as this is the primary cause for accuracy issues.

Don't be afraid to try different pellet manufacturers as some guns are very particular. I say this after many many thousands of rounds sent down range in all of my rigs.

Do not use pellets that are too light in a springer as it causes undue stress on the internals. PCP's like as heavy a pellet as possible for max FPE and accuracy.

Matter of fact, when I shoot competitively, I clean and weigh each match pellet to get as consistent as possible.

Once a gun is shooting well, don't do anything to it until something in the shooting pattern changes. Leave it alone.

Anyhoo, lemme know if I can be of assistance with nay other info!

Thanks!
Cris

Thanks for the tips. After this last weekend, I've now put about 80 rounds through it and actually saw some good improvements in the groups and the rifle is smoothing out and calming down. It's gotten quieter and easier to cock, and the recoil is more predictable. I've also figured out the trigger, and a hold technique that I can repeat and seems to be giving decent results.

I moved my target in to 12 yards so I could see it better through the open sights.

After I figured out I had been turning the windage adjustment the wrong way (the instructions are not correct! it said turn clockwise if the rifle shoots to the right -- it should be counterclockwise!) I suddenly started hitting on and around the bullseye The group I ended my last session with was four shots all within 1" of the bullseye. Not great, but definitely a huge improvement for me.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
Old 07-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #396
Cris
AB+

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. After this last weekend, I've now put about 80 rounds through it and actually saw some good improvements in the groups and the rifle is smoothing out and calming down. It's gotten quieter and easier to cock, and the recoil is more predictable. I've also figured out the trigger, and a hold technique that I can repeat and seems to be giving decent results.

I moved my target in to 12 yards so I could see it better through the open sights.

After I figured out I had been turning the windage adjustment the wrong way (the instructions are not correct! it said turn clockwise if the rifle shoots to the right -- it should be counterclockwise!) I suddenly started hitting on and around the bullseye The group I ended my last session with was four shots all within 1" of the bullseye. Not great, but definitely a huge improvement for me.
Excellent! Sounds like you got a good one that is behaving in ideal fashion and cooperating nicely.

These things are addicting so be careful! You will end up with a closet full of air rifles!

If you ever decide to add an optic, lemme know and we can discuss optically centering the scope, proper eye relief, starting out with a decent zero, and more...

Here's another one of my Girls...

Rapid Mk II (She's been tweaked for extra goodness...)
Pre-charge. 22 cal. Projectile passes through critters at 70 yards...

Old 07-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #397
darenative
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:

Congrats on the 34, they are great plinkers.

The stock screws need the threads cleaned with solvent and a dab of blue loctite, then torqued evenly.
darenative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #398
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Excellent! Sounds like you got a good one that is behaving in ideal fashion and cooperating nicely.

These things are addicting so be careful! You will end up with a closet full of air rifles!

If you ever decide to add an optic, lemme know and we can discuss optically centering the scope, proper eye relief, starting out with a decent zero, and more...

Here's another one of my Girls...

Rapid Mk II (She's been tweaked for extra goodness...)
Pre-charge. 22 cal. Projectile passes through critters at 70 yards...

Gorgeous.

My 34 did come with an RWS (made in china ) scope. I'm not going to mount it until I get acceptably good with the open sights to hit my targets at 15-20 yards repeatably. The game I will be hunting with the 34 are prairie dogs (think ground squirrels, only about 10-20 percent larger) and they have pretty small kill zones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darenative View Post
Congrats on the 34, they are great plinkers.

The stock screws need the threads cleaned with solvent and a dab of blue loctite, then torqued evenly.
Thanks, I did read that several places. I tightened them before I starting using the gun, but I haven't removed and loctited them yet. How long should I let the loctite set?

Old 07-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #399
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,425
Pages back when I was looking for an air rifle to play with while my shoulder was in bad shape suggested the QB air rifles....I just wanted to chime in here and say that this rifle is still fantastic. I was actually cutting down weeds with the rifle...shooting the stalks till the fell...the most accurate thing I have found....just all in all a fantastic rifle. I get about 100 shots out of a set of co2 cartridges. I shoot the cherries off the trees...anything I aim at I hit...great little rifle.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #400
darenative
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Gorgeous.

My 34 did come with an RWS (made in china ) scope. I'm not going to mount it until I get acceptably good with the open sights to hit my targets at 15-20 yards repeatably. The game I will be hunting with the 34 are prairie dogs (think ground squirrels, only about 10-20 percent larger) and they have pretty small kill zones.

Thanks, I did read that several places. I tightened them before I starting using the gun, but I haven't removed and loctited them yet. How long should I let the loctite set?

Over night should do it.
darenative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #401
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Lucifermutt,

Cris
Hey Cris,
Do you think that this break-in period is due to the barrel leading up or to the action/powerplant smoothing out? In other words, do you think the 1000-round period applies to gas piston as well as springers? I ask because I still feel like my new gun (150-200 rounds, maybe; nitro piston) is not grouping all that well. Wondering if it'll get better, or if it's just me.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #402
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
Hey Cris,
Do you think that this break-in period is due to the barrel leading up or to the action/powerplant smoothing out? In other words, do you think the 1000-round period applies to gas piston as well as springers? I ask because I still feel like my new gun (150-200 rounds, maybe; nitro piston) is not grouping all that well. Wondering if it'll get better, or if it's just me.

That grouping deficiency is what frustrates me the most about my HW190, although I am working toward mastering the Artillery Hold.

Time will tell, I guess.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #403
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
That grouping deficiency is what frustrates me the most about my HW190, although I am working toward mastering the Artillery Hold.

Time will tell, I guess.
Seems like a lot of the time I pull the trigger and look at the paper and say to the gun 'you sure about that?'
Old 07-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #404
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 1,976
sorry, haven't read all the foregoing so this may have been discussed, but...

can someone recommend a reasonably priced air gun for possums and rats around the yard?

Thanks gents
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #405
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
Seems like a lot of the time I pull the trigger and look at the paper and say to the gun 'you sure about that?'
I was at the point where I would think as I squeezed one off: "this oughta be interesting..."

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: