Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #481
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
I wash and lube all pellets for all of my PCPs.
Okay, it's two to one for washing pellets. It's like having my mother around when I was a little kid "Make sure to wash behind your ears."
Since I'm a real noobie with the PCP I've been trying to find as many articles as I can about what works and what doesn't. You guys have been quite helpful so please continue and also know that I'll probably be asking some dumb questions for a while.
Quote:
Crosman Premiers are great and I have been using them for many years. I have shot many thousands of them. However. They are the dirtiest pellet out there. Their containers harbor the most swarf of any pellet I have used. They fluctuate in weight as much, or more, than other pellets I have weighed. For PCP FT, shoot the 10.5's.
Were your Crossman pellets from a tin or the cardboard box? The fluctuation you mention sounds similar to what someone else reported of the pellets that came from the tin container. They are a mix from different batches and dies. Again just curious.

While I ordered the 1250ct. Premiers I figured that would simply be my starter kit and would have to see which pellet my gun likes the best. I'll be zero'ing in my scope, getting used to filling the tank, maybe adjusting the trigger to my liking if it's not already perfect from the factory. I imagine there will be lots of adjustments to be made that will result in many, many pellets going down range.
Quote:
As an FYI, you may want to invest in a chrony (if you don't already have one) as it is an important tool (almost a necessity) in gathering data on shot curves and energy if you are going to get serious about FT.
I plan on getting one.
Quote:
You may also find that you will benefit from a shooting harness of some sort as well as a proper knee support for your rifle in order to maintain a solid and repeatable shooting position.

Thanks!
Cris
I've seen pictures of some guys using something which looks like webbing that goes around their back and over their knees. Is that what you're talking about? Seems like cheating to me.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #482
Cris
AB+

Oddometer: 132
I tried lubed and non-lubed pellets through a lot of A-B testing. I preferred my results, whether actual or perceived, with lubed pellets. YMMV.

I only buy Premiers from the box and only if I can get mulitple boxes from the same die. Some dies shoot better than others out of certain rifles.

I am betting that the trigger out of the box will be as good or better than anything you have ever shot. Aside from the action itself, be sure to adjust to your finger's ergonomics. I have that same gun as well as my FWB P70. The FWB has been claimed to have the best trigger on the planet and I would tend to agree. And I have owned and shot many different custom trigger set-ups from Timney to Steyr to Anschutz to CZ and beyond. Not looking for arguments however! My opinion.

The harness is similar to what you have seen and mentioned in your reply. Question: Are Olympic shooters 'cheating' with the amount of gear they use to improve their scores? E.G., shoes, jackets, eye patches, etc., etc....
Harnesses are acceptable in the rules and it is the difference between a good score and a bad score. If you are just shooting for fun, no worries. If you are trying to be competitve, you don't want to leave anything on the table.

I have seen a very small number of shooters who can execute well without a harness. More importantly, if you try one even once, you will not shoot without it going forward. Anywhere from a .25" kill zone at 10 yards, to a 1.25" kill zone at 54 yards in low light (and with whatever wind can be present that day) can prove daunting even with every piece of kit one can haul out.

Thanks!
Cris
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #483
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I am betting that the trigger out of the box will be as good or better than anything you have ever shot. Aside from the action itself, be sure to adjust to your finger's ergonomics. I have that same gun as well as my FWB P70. The FWB has been claimed to have the best trigger on the planet and I would tend to agree. And I have owned and shot many different custom trigger set-ups from Timney to Steyr to Anschutz to CZ and beyond. Not looking for arguments however! My opinion.
I've got a Kimber 82 .22lr for small bore competitions which has a pretty sweet trigger. It'll be fun to compare the two.
Quote:
The harness is similar to what you have seen and mentioned in your reply. Question: Are Olympic shooters 'cheating' with the amount of gear they use to improve their scores? E.G., shoes, jackets, eye patches, etc., etc....
Harnesses are acceptable in the rules and it is the difference between a good score and a bad score. If you are just shooting for fun, no worries. If you are trying to be competitve, you don't want to leave anything on the table.
I understand the Olympic guys and all their gear, heck I have a small amount of kit when I shoot small bore. I kind of envisioned the roots of Field Target as being like 10m rifle, but outdoors and without all the gamesmanship/equipment. Kind of like what happened in the Action Pistol world. Today the winners are guys who spend obscene amounts on their pistol with holographic sites and special race holsters. Talent plays a big part of course, but without a race gun Wild Bill Hickok wouldn't stand a chance. IDPA was created to get back to a competition that had some real world aspects. If I need a harness to compete so be it, I'll buy one. Of course, first I need to create a club and find other folks who'd like this style of shooting to be members. Colorado doesn't have any FT clubs.

Quote:

I have seen a very small number of shooters who can execute well without a harness. More importantly, if you try one even once, you will not shoot without it going forward. Anywhere from a .25" kill zone at 10 yards, to a 1.25" kill zone at 54 yards in low light (and with whatever wind can be present that day) can prove daunting even with every piece of kit one can haul out.

Thanks!
Cris
Again, thanks for the info.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #484
Cris
AB+

FT also incorporates a 'Hunter Class' without all the open-class gear... More along the lines of what you might have envisioned from a grass-roots perspective. Albeit with a much different equipment level than what you are moving into.

I have shot that class as well with a springer, but it's not as much fun for me personally...

I am also a huge smallbore fan.

I run a few CZ's and an Anschutz. I am partial to HMR and Mach 2. Nothing in an organized fashion but rather plinking and critter control.

I love talking about shooting! So let's keep the discussion going!

Hopefully all the FT talk isn't boring everyone else!

Thanks!
Cris
Old 07-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #485
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
FT also incorporates a 'Hunter Class' without all the open-class gear... More along the lines of what you might have envisioned from a grass-roots perspective. Albeit with a much different equipment level than what you are moving into.
I did see the 'Hunter Class', but I'm not a fan of springers even though I have a couple cheap ones that I've used in the past for pest control.

If you want to play the game you've got to follow the rules. Since I'm also competitive enough if I find myself limited by the lack of a harness I'll buy one.
Quote:
I am also a huge smallbore fan.

I run a few CZ's and an Anschutz. I am partial to HMR and Mach 2. Nothing in an organized fashion but rather plinking and critter control.
I missed last years small bore league at my club and am looking forward to this fall when it starts again. I sink at it, but I have lots of fun. Sitting and prone are okay, but I'm having a real hard time locking into the off hand position. I'm actually hoping that this rifle will help me in that area since I can practice at home.
Quote:
I love talking about shooting! So let's keep the discussion going!

Hopefully all the FT talk isn't boring everyone else!

Thanks!
Cris
Maybe our discussion here will draw out some of the folks who live in Colorado to start thinking about Field Target. I've got a couple of friends who might be interested and only two are needed to start a club according to the rules I read. More the merrier though.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #486
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
Those were shot under perfect conditions. They were hand loads were I measured the powder exactly, hand selected the bullets of the same weight and shot from a bench. I was kind of proving to myself just how anal retentive I can be. I've also got CDO, it's kind of like OCD but my letters are in order. .
ooopsss ... thought you meant 200yd groups with an airgun.

my pcp bullpup puts out moa groups at 100 yds with JSB exacts under super calm conditions.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #487
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
ooopsss ... thought you meant 200yd groups with an airgun.

my pcp bullpup puts out moa groups at 100 yds with JSB exacts under super calm conditions.
Maybe I'll be able to do that with my Air Arms. Unlikely, but one can dream. That was a .30-06. I was trying to point out that I do understand how rifles can love certain loads. I first started with two different factor loads in my .30-06, both 180gr boat tail. My Savage was okay with the Winchester, but absolutely hated the Remington loads. I then started to work a hand load using 168gr (I read comments which indicated folks had better luck). My Savage can shoot half inch groups at 200 yards with my hand loads under perfect conditions.

I'm like an 8 year old kid on Christmas Eve. I keep checking the FedEx site watching my package move along. It's now in Colorado and I should have my grubby little hands on the rifle tomorrow. I'll take the tank to the dive shop tomorrow and get it checked out, approved, and filled. It'll be Friday before I can get everything assembled and get to the range. I'm just trying to figure out how to call in sick from work when I'm obviously healthy as an ox on Friday.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #488
wavygravy87
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
"I'm just trying to figure out how to call in sick from work when I'm obviously healthy as an ox on Friday."

Tell em you have "Rectal Glaucoma". When they ask what that means, just tell em that it's a rare short-term condition.

The only symptom is not being able to see your ass coming to work today!

2009 Suzuki DR650
2008 Yamaha FZ6
wavygravy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #489
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavygravy87 View Post
"I'm just trying to figure out how to call in sick from work when I'm obviously healthy as an ox on Friday."

Tell em you have "Rectal Glaucoma". When they ask what that means, just tell em that it's a rare short-term condition.

The only symptom is not being able to see your ass coming to work today!
Oh, that's a good one. I'm going to try it. I'll probably get my arse fired.

I just looked at the FedEx tracking page and the rifle and accessories are in Henderson, CO. It's just 30 minutes away from me and I've got to wait another day!!!! First world problems, I hate 'em.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:49 AM   #490
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,650
got it yet?!

i know what you will be doing on the weekend - going to the dive shop to get your bottle filled - again!

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #491
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
got it yet?!
Noooo. I switched delivery method to have FedEx drop the package at their store instead of my house. I did it for a couple of reasons. 1) I'm hoping they'll drop packages in bulk at the store and I can skip out from work to the FedEx store which is closer. 2) I'm hoping the truck will get to the store sooner. FedEx doesn't get out to my neighborhood until the afternoon unless you pay for that 10am shipping. 3) I didn't want the packages left lying on my front porch.
Quote:

i know what you will be doing on the weekend - going to the dive shop to get your bottle filled - again!

Hay Ewe
It probably got lost in the noise of past posts, but I had asked if anyone had a guess as to the number of refills I'll get out of one tank? I'm thinking it's got to be at least 10 if not more. If that's the case I'll run out of pellets long before I'll run out of an air supply.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #492
Cris
AB+

Quote:
It probably got lost in the noise of past posts, but I had asked if anyone had a guess as to the number of refills I'll get out of one tank? I'm thinking it's got to be at least 10 if not more. If that's the case I'll run out of pellets long before I'll run out of an air supply.
I have only ever run a carbon tank...

I am not sure at what point a 3k tank will equalize with your rifle's vessel.

I would guess that 10 would be about right.

BTW
I have talked to Boris @ Topgun for any Air Arms issues or questions as he is THEEEE Air Arms Guru!

Thanks!
Cris
Old 07-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #493
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have only ever run a carbon tank...
My jaw hit the floor when I saw the price on those puppies. Maybe I'll get tired of hauling around a scuba tank at some point, but right now $150 sounded so much better than $600.
Quote:
I am not sure at what point a 3k tank will equalize with your rifle's vessel.
By that comment I take it you've found a dive shop that can fill your carbon tank to it's upper limit of what 4k or 4.5k? I was reading that online that there's not that many shops who've bought the new equipment to fill those tanks. I didn't check with my shop, but I will when I have them fill my tank either today or tomorrow morning.
Quote:
I would guess that 10 would be about right.

BTW
I have talked to Boris @ Topgun for any Air Arms issues or questions as he is THEEEE Air Arms Guru!

Thanks!
Cris
I'll keep that name in mind. Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #494
Cris
AB+

Quote:
My jaw hit the floor when I saw the price on those puppies. Maybe I'll get tired of hauling around a scuba tank at some point, but right now $150 sounded so much better than $600.

By that comment I take it you've found a dive shop that can fill your carbon tank to it's upper limit of what 4k or 4.5k? I was reading that online that there's not that many shops who've bought the new equipment to fill those tanks. I didn't check with my shop, but I will when I have them fill my tank either today or tomorrow morning.
Yeah for how much I have used it, I do not regret for one second spending the the money on the carbon tank. I bring it with me to various shooting sites as well, which is really nice due to it's size and light weight...

Only certain shops can fill to 4,500. It is not a new process though, simply specific to specialized diving equipment such re-breathers. The process has been around for a long time. There are only two shops in within 100 miles of me that do it. One happens to be really convenient or I never would have gotten a carbon tank... I think my shop has about $30,000 invested in equipment that allows them to properly fill to 4,500, so not every shop is set up for it.

There are also fiberglass tanks as well as used carbon tanks where a guy can find a good deal.

I believe I mentioned it previously, but many Firehouses are set up to fill their own SCBA tanks to 4,500, so if you have a friend or relative with an in to Firefighting, you just might have a 'convenient' source to fill a carbon tank!

Carbon tanks also need to be Hydro tested for safety every 3-5 years...

Thanks!
Cris
Old 07-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #495
CBoy808
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I just read this whole thread and now I really want an Air Rifle.

I was looking at the Benjamin 397 but looks like from reading that pumping a gun like that would get tiring. Or maybe not too bad since I wont be hunting.

Can someone recommend a rifle that looks similar (wood stock) thats a single cock springer for under $150-200?

It would be for mainly plinking targets as we have no squirles here.
CBoy808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: