looked like you had a great time.
you had that thing loaded to the brim !

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #17
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 538
Nice shakedown ride, AND it looks like you had fun! It always helps to have a good attitude.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #18
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,949
Really nice! I like your style.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #19
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,143
Enjoyed your RR! And thanks for mentioning GPX2IMG. That's just what I've been looking for to aid in following tracks on a Nuvi 750 and 76 csx. I've learned not to try to follow routes offroad with these two Garmins, and up 'til now have been loading bunches of numbered waypoints and hopping between them ("001-West Trailhead", "002-XYZ", "003-XYZ @ ABC", etc.), which works a lot better than routes, but a track on an image map overlaid on the City Nav map or even a Topo will be great!

Laura
Old 07-16-2011, 03:31 AM   #20
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 1,978
Got any GPS tracks?

Got any GPS tracks? Would be nice to be able to check out the precise spots you traveled.

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #21
Artlocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
Got any GPS tracks? Would be nice to be able to check out the precise spots you traveled.
You can get the GPS tracks for the whole thing from error_cooled. I did not stray from his tracks. I did from Buchanan down to almost Damascus. I stopped at the single track since I was alone.
Artlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #22
Artlocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
enjoyed your ride report! Looks like a lot of fun!
Agreed that the wr is heavy- my husband as a DR650 and it only weighs 30 pounds more.
Have you done any lowering on your bike- I'm 5'2" and was able to lower the bike 5 inches-even with heel lifts in my boots, I would still like it a bit lower, but at least I can get one foot down solidly or 2 on balls of feet.
Lisa, I just did the 7/8" lowering that is built in. Then I added an airhawk seat so after both mods the seat was actually another inch taller than stock. I could barely tippy toe.

There was a time I actually was stranded on my bike for a moment. Glad I was alone because it was embarrassing. I stopped at the wrong place in front of a big puddle. It was on the high part in the middle of the trail and was downhill on both sides of the bike! It took me over 5 minutes to get out of that predicament.

I assume you have the Yamalink? Did you have to cut and weld the kickstand to make it shorter? Did you notice any difference in the handling? I like the height when I am riding but I can really get into trouble when I stop in the wrong place. I am thinking of a lowering link before my TAT trip in Sept.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #23
Artlocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
looked like you had a great time.
you had that thing loaded to the brim !
The bag on the tailplate looks intimidating but it is really all in the mind. It only weighed 21 lbs and held the stuff below.:
Tent
sleeping bag
luxury lite cot
thermorest
3 pillows
sleep bag liner
sandels
The other yellow bag had clothes and toiletries. I didn't weigh it but am guessing 7-8 lbs.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #24
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,212
Enjoyed reading your ride report. I wish I could do as well sharing my experiences but most of my reports are pretty much "I took a ride, here's some pics".

I noticed you listed a luxury lite cot. Could you give a brief review of it. Seems pricey but my old bones are not liking sleeping on the ground much anymore.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #25
Artlocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14xl View Post
Enjoyed reading your ride report. I wish I could do as well sharing my experiences but most of my reports are pretty much "I took a ride, here's some pics".

I noticed you listed a luxury lite cot. Could you give a brief review of it. Seems pricey but my old bones are not liking sleeping on the ground much anymore.
Thanks for the kind words about my report.

About the cot, for me it was money well spent. It is too uncomfortable for me to use just a sleeping pad anymore. It packs small and is lightweight. I haven't tried it without my thermorest yet.
I am 5'9" and my weight fluctuates between 150-160 lbs. I am not sure how well it works with someone much taller or heavier than me.
I really enjoyed it out in the desert when I did not need the tent. It keeps me a couple inches off the ground. At my weight it will not sag to the ground even when I am sitting on it. When I use a tent I put the cot underneath the tent floor so as not to damage the floor.
The down side is it consists of a bunch of small pieces to put together. It will take about 8-10 minutes to set up, then again to break down and pack. Also you will need a thermorest if camping in cold weather.

In my One foot in the grave report I should have some pictures of the cot set up. It was one of the highlights for me to sleep under the stars on it while listening to my mp3 player.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #26
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Very interesting ride report. And I thought the comments about the 12 yro girl helping you right your bike and the Mayan Ruins were too funny. Another thing I notice from the many RR's, most somehow include a photo of some good looking burger or other meal. I like your "Fine Dining" pic. Shows the "roughing it" side of traveling. Thanks for the RR and humor.
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #27
MarkNC
Just Strom'in Along

Oddometer: 200
If I am not mistaken that gate blocks the trail that leads down the mountain and crosses Kimberling Creek several times before ending on Rt 612 Kimberling Creek Road. I used to ride that road regularly back in the day before they put the power lines through. The last time I went through there it was really washed out bad and it is no surprise they are having to repair it. I hope they get it back open soon I always enjoyed the water crossings. Its a real popular area for hunters during deer season as well. It was never the same after they put the lines through though. I cant find my Va topo maps right now or I could give you the fr number the gps has me spoiled I guess. Great report nice to see someone can get out of this place and do some riding.

Mark
Old 08-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #28
govoner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
nice ride report
good to see you did it on your own
sometimes thats the best way.
govoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #29
Mastros2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Great report! Thanks for the (funny!) share!
Mastros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #30
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
great thread
loved the pictures and the words behind them
thanks for sharing with us
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote